Holy shit! That is a must-read as well!
sprouty115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:36 AM   #2237
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
I'm not even sure if the fuel pump is an issue on the new 690s. I have a stock fuel pump in my bike and I carry a spare. I Can recommend installing a profil filter on the 08-11 bikes. 12, 13 got and updated filter. I also have a stock reg/rec and I carry a spare. The hard thing about both these parts, is that if they do fail.. they can manifest in different ways.

The cheapest you can get a new BMW 800gs is around $13,500 fully loaded for about $15,000. I bought my 2010 brand new for $10,200 and spent about $4000 making the best travel bike ever.

The weight I have talked about.

If you ride pavement then the BMW is probably a great bike. But there is no way I would attempt the BAM or Ride where I did in Mongolia on anything bigger than a 690.

If I was riding pavement... would I buy a BMW? Probably not. I would probably go for an older bike more soul... Like a rephased XS650 or an SR500 or any number of old 4 cylinder bikes.

When I was planning this trip, I was considering 4 bikes.
1. KTM 640 ADV which I already had. I loved it but it had 12,000 miles on it already and I wanted to start fresh. I wanted FI and less vibration.

2. BMW 800. I test rode it. It was uninspiring. I priced everything. the big tank from Touratech was $1900. I would be looking at a $20,000 bike by the time I was done trying to get it to perform for what I needed. Not really an option.

3. KTM 990/950. I looked at it new. but price tag was about the same as the BMW when I looked at everything I wanted. I saw a few setup used models but they were still as expensive as the brand new, well setup 690.

4. The 690. I didn't even test ride it before I bought it. When I took it for the first ride I had one thing on my mind. "Yessssss! this is the bike!!!!". I was backing it into corners in the Mojave desert after 20 minutes of riding it. I rode the LA Barstow to Vegas on the hard route a few months later. This bike will always ride better than I can. It is always willing to go further, faster, rougher terrain, more remote areas.

BMW (and the other manufacturers) are making a crap load of money selling a bike called an "Adventure bike". Most of them are too heavy for any offroad. You don't need a $20,000 BMW to go on an adventure. You don't need a 690. Hell, you don't even need a motor. Test drive everything you can and your choice will be clear. Just don't get a KLR. They are horrible.

KTM would sell way more 690s if they gave people the chance to ride them. But the problem is, they sell so fast so its hard to find them in a show room.

I'm talking today to try and get caught up some. I also have to contact a KTM shop in Tokyo. I have an automatic chain oiler now Seems after 86,000 km my countershaft sprocket started to leak. Damn unreliable KTMs.
Ive been on the road 5 months doing an Alaska trip on my DR650, so I am a bit behind on your report I am curious what problems you have had with the 690? I have to admit as many times as ive considered a 690, ive seen enough mentions of cam bearings failing, rocker arms snapping (), weird electrical gremlins, sensors failing, etc to make me hesitate. Then you come along and the bike seems to be giving you virtually no issues.. How many miles/km does the bike have now? I see you mention 86000 km- has the rings been swapped, valves reworked, cam chain replaced, or any bearings (motor) needed replacing?

I agree with you very much so about weight. The DR650 is the heaviest I am willing to ride adding dirt to the mix period. FWIW I have done a ton of offroad this last 5mo/25000 miles, and while I like the DR a lot, I keep thinking "lighter..better..". I have thought 690, xchallenge, wr250r, and even a drz400, but ill admit even as an electronics guy the complicated bikes scare me when thinking about breaking down in the bush. Has this bit you at all? Ever?? You rolling with an oscope and chase truck we dont know about or what?

Thanks for stickin with us here and watch those Japanese ladies- seen a few buddies back in the day end up married visiting there.. THAT is a ride killer for sure
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #2238
Shadowfax38
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Hey Noah, thanks for the great reporting and photography. I am trying to select a freestanding 2 person tent. How has yours held up? It's tempting to get a Marmot Limelight 2 but being weight conscious on a 690, five pounds seems like it could be a tad heavy in addition to my other gear. (Current tent is a 1 person Walrus Swift non freestanding 3.25 pounds)**

**(all weights are full packed including fly, poles, stakes, etc.)
Shadowfax38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:12 AM   #2239
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,385
Quote:
You think painting it like a tractor will make it handle better or be lighter? ... Maybe faster quarter mile?
Nooooooo. It's kinda like me. Old, Slow, Over weight, Worn and Cheap. But, I can always dream of affording a 690 ;-) Just don't see very many in South Louisiana.

A '00 KLR 650 38,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:50 AM   #2240
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
Nooooooo. It's kinda like me. Old, Slow, Over weight, Worn and Cheap. But, I can always dream of affording a 690 ;-) Just don't see very many in South Louisiana.
They're here, not alot of them, but the bikes are around. There are 3 in my immediate neighborhood, and two over in Pontchatoula.

Dirty
Old 10-01-2013, 06:40 AM   #2241
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Ive been on the road 5 months doing an Alaska trip on my DR650, so I am a bit behind on your report I am curious what problems you have had with the 690? I have to admit as many times as ive considered a 690, ive seen enough mentions of cam bearings failing, rocker arms snapping (), weird electrical gremlins, sensors failing, etc to make me hesitate. Then you come along and the bike seems to be giving you virtually no issues.. How many miles/km does the bike have now? I see you mention 86000 km- has the rings been swapped, valves reworked, cam chain replaced, or any bearings (motor) needed replacing?

I agree with you very much so about weight. The DR650 is the heaviest I am willing to ride adding dirt to the mix period. FWIW I have done a ton of offroad this last 5mo/25000 miles, and while I like the DR a lot, I keep thinking "lighter..better..". I have thought 690, xchallenge, wr250r, and even a drz400, but ill admit even as an electronics guy the complicated bikes scare me when thinking about breaking down in the bush. Has this bit you at all? Ever?? You rolling with an oscope and chase truck we dont know about or what?

Thanks for stickin with us here and watch those Japanese ladies- seen a few buddies back in the day end up married visiting there.. THAT is a ride killer for sure
Most of the reasons people list not to buy a 690.. or "problems" are known now. Oh, and rocker bearings fail once in a while... Rocker arms don't snap. Gremlins can be chased. I carry a multimeter. I listed my problems a month ago.. I'll have to post it on the front page and keep it updated. This bike has never left me stranded. I don't understand the fear of "complicated" bikes. Electrical problems are usually from a broken or loose wire. Doesn't matter if its digital or analog. My "highstrung" KTM has never left me stranded. but my DRZ400 decided to throw a crank bearing on on a 50 mile trip when I was working in Texas. I've posted my tools before. I keep oil in her and I like to sit down on a chair next to her when I am drinking my coffee. I just look at her while I am fresh. About 10 minutes on each side. I try to do this often. It helps to spot problems. loose bolts, rubbing wires, cracked hoses.

Yes. Japan has some beautiful people. I just bought tickets to the Tokyo Giants baseball game in the Tokyo dome. I'm really excited. It has been a few years since I was at a baseball game. It was the 5th MN Twins game in the new Target field. I'll make sure to take lots of photos. Unfortunately it is a dome and not a stadium. The weather is beautiful at night here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfax38 View Post
Hey Noah, thanks for the great reporting and photography. I am trying to select a freestanding 2 person tent. How has yours held up? It's tempting to get a Marmot Limelight 2 but being weight conscious on a 690, five pounds seems like it could be a tad heavy in addition to my other gear. (Current tent is a 1 person Walrus Swift non freestanding 3.25 pounds)**

**(all weights are full packed including fly, poles, stakes, etc.)
I don't know. I like a simple design. 2 poles, light and strong. If it is good enough for back packing, its good enough for moto.

This is my tent. It is simple, light and goes up fast.
http://www.sierradesigns.com/p-291-lightning-ht-2.aspx
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah

RoninMoto screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 06:46 AM
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:02 AM   #2242
RhinoVonHawkrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,284
Noah

I'm still following, keep up the great RR & adventure.

If you run into any issues / problems while in Nippon - just Holla, my buddy lives in Tokyo.

Sent from the basement. Hey Ma more meatloaf.
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:14 AM   #2243
sprouty115
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,046
List of issues/failures on the trip so far:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1889

Tool Kit:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1180
Old 10-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #2244
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Quote:
Most of the reasons people list not to buy a 690.. or "problems" are known now. I keep oil in her and I like to sit down on a chair next to her when I am drinking my coffee. I just look at her while I am fresh. About 10 minutes on each side. I try to do this often. It helps to spot problems. loose bolts, rubbing wires, cracked hoses.
I read all of the horror stories and then when I saw that you, an EE, bought one, I didn't hesitate. Love it. So many other bikes had to be crossed off simply due to weight, because if you can't pick it up, it is a deal-breaker. What is reliability when it is on its side and your leg is trapped? And good tip on visual check, better to spot something loose before it is lost, like 530 kickstarter bolts!

Back to the RR, loving it!
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #2245
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,440
alotta people here like to whine about maintenance.... they all need maintenance!... i been ridin' w/this kid that has the DRZ clone KLX400.... i'm not seeing that much difference from my KTM, except the motor doesn't have the compression, and the suspension ain't as good..... his bike is shagged beyond belief, he went down 2 days ago cause' his front tire is totally wasted, busted cords, and his forks won't rebound, lost it on a root is sugar sand.... so that's a better bike, much more reliable than those high-strung KTMs... ... his stator went out a month ago, and the motor sounds like it's got 7-1 compression cause' the oil ain't been changed since moses was young......

funny stuff....

i bet japan is fun, i used to live in yokosuka when i was in the navy.... when you went up north, did you go to the Sapporo Brewery.... they used to have an 'all you can eat and drink' thing.... oh, yeah...
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #2246
motocopter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
Good post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouty115 View Post

2012 Concours 1400 (my adventuring bike!)
motocopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #2247
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoVonHawkrider View Post
Noah

I'm still following, keep up the great RR & adventure.

If you run into any issues / problems while in Nippon - just Holla, my buddy lives in Tokyo.

Sent from the basement. Hey Ma more meatloaf.
I don't have any issues right now. I got some of the parts I needed and got some others ordered. The bike has sat for a few days now while I explore Tokyo by foot/metro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuInFH View Post
I read all of the horror stories and then when I saw that you, an EE, bought one, I didn't hesitate. Love it. So many other bikes had to be crossed off simply due to weight, because if you can't pick it up, it is a deal-breaker.
I always try have the mindset "i can fix anything" attitude. Even if I don't know when I start.. at least I learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocopter View Post
Good post!
Yes! What he said! Thanks
Old 10-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #2248
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouty115 View Post
Thanks. I was to lazy to find this yesterday. I've posted the list on the front page and I'll keep updating it.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #2249
sprouty115
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,046
Quote:
Thanks. I was to lazy to find this yesterday. I've posted the list on the front page and I'll keep updating it.
Actually, I'd like to thank you. This whole RR, aside from being incredibly entertaining, has been a wealth of information. Props to you for the great effort.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:34 AM   #2250
Blue Icebreaker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Hey Noah, how is accomodation in Japan? Being one of the world's most expensive countries, did you manage to find something cheap where they let you park your bike safely also? Food prices? Ride on!
As soon as you concern yourself with the 'good' and 'bad' of your fellows, you create an opening in your heart for maliciousness to enter. Testing, competing with, and criticizing others weaken and defeat you. Morihei Ueshiba

Blue Icebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote