Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #2386
ericGSsti
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Stay away from anti citrusy fruits and juices. Lemons, oranges etc....
"In the spirit of adventure, open to all riders and carrying a message of friendship between all men"- Thierry Sabine 1977 founder of the Paris Dakar -
ericGSsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #2387
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet Punisher View Post
Post up and let us know you're OK!
I assume you are taking about the earthquake last night? 7.3 Magnitude earthquake a couple hundred km off the east coast. Reports say a 1 meter Tsunami hit shore.

It woke me up. First one I have ever felt in my life. In Montana there was one but I was driving and didn't feel it. In California I slept through them all.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #2388
Chet Punisher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Well, you know how the 24 hour News companies jump on a story. When I asked, I thought it was a disaster. Now I know better. Glad it wasn't bad. Glad no one was hurt. Glad you didn't fall out of bed.
Chet Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #2389
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet Punisher View Post
Well, you know how the 24 hour News companies jump on a story. When I asked, I thought it was a disaster. Now I know better. Glad it wasn't bad. Glad no one was hurt. Glad you didn't fall out of bed.
Yeah, when I woke up I looked at the news reports on the computer and I got scared for a second
Old 10-25-2013, 09:56 PM   #2390
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
Very late spectator to this mega thread. I'm a bit slow. Bummed that I missed you in Bend last year. Absolutely awesome to see your Japan shots, thanks a bunch.

Justin
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:02 AM   #2391
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Hakodate to Tokyo

Sept. 23. Hokodate Hokaido to near Hachinohe. 257 km + 2 hour ferry
The alarm went off at 6:00 am and after a quick shower I was on the road. The coffee didn't help wake me up but i new once I was on the ferry I would be able to sleep. And sleep is what I did. When the boat arrived in Oma I was almost not feeling hungover. No time to be hungover, I had some twisties to ride. So I filled my camelback with water and ice and headed south on a small toad that wrapped its way around the cliffs and mountains of east coast on the peninsula along the Tsugaru Straits. The Scenery was beautiful but the further I went south, the windier it got. Soon I crossed back over to the west coast and I was starting to get into the areas where the Tsunami hit. I stayed the night in a hostel that had a "park golf" course. Its like golve but smaller course with bigger balls. I didn't play.. because I am only good at puttputt golf. I enjoyed a very hot soak in the Japanese bath and went to bed.

Waiting for the ferry with a handful of other motos.

It was hard to get these roads in the picture to show just how great they were.

That helps to show what I was riding.

They build some interesting interlocking shapes out of concrete for breakwalls. The enginerd in me was happy.

Sept 24. Hachinohe to Camping on the coast. 255 km
I rode the coast all day. The devastation from the Tsunami is still very visible after 2 years. Whole villages reduced to foundations and streets. It was an eerie feeling when I realized that I was riding through destroyed towns, not just grassy fields. There was construction everywhere trying to rebuild the damaged roads, bridges and breakwalls. The rubble for the most part was cleaned up. In Japan, I always feel like the days are short. There are a few reasons. First, Russia to Japan was a 2 hour jump. This meant I was used to waking up at 8 and the sun had just came up. Now I was wasting 2 hours of sunlight if I woke up at 8. This was compounded more now that it is getting dark at 5:00 pm. Second, with the slow speed limit, It is hard to cover ground. The days of covering 500 or 600 km like in Russia or Mongolia were over. Japan has rules unlike the other countries I rode through in the past 4 months. And finally, the further south I go, The sun rises and sets quicker. So in the early afternoon as the sun was going behind the mountains, I started looking for a hotel. There was one 10 km away in the next town. A half hour later, I was parked in an empty parking lot next to a foundation where a hotel once was in what used to be a town. The next hotel on in the GPS was 4 km south but it was full. So I rode out on a peninsula on a road that seemed all but abandoned. It emptied out onto a tarmac parking lot for a shrine. This was the end of the line, it was dark and I was tired so I set up camp. I was standing on the left side of my bike eating some sausage, crackers and cucumbers for dinner when something moved rapidly on the right side of my bike into my vision and dissapeared. I said "OH FOOK ME!" out loud. The hair on the back of my neck rose and a wave adrenaline surged through my body. At that moment in time, I believed in ghosts. I took a few deep breaths and try to calm myself. I'm on a deserted road near a shrine. Is there a reason this road is deserted? Just then I shifted my weight and I saw it again. Seems my headlamp shined my mirror making a large light shape move across the bushes next to the bike. Ok.. this is good I have a reasonable explanation for what just happened. I didn't sleep very well that night.

My route

A map of the Tsunami wave height in 2011.

Small roads and blind corners. One reason for the lows speed limit.

This lady was collecting seaweed and laying it out to dry.

I decided this was a good place to take a nap.

Broken breakwall.

Pretty Ducati bevel head. A lot of the moto riders like to get in to the “character” of the old bike. I love the vintage gear.

Sept 25. To Sendai 268 km
Still a bit riled from the night before, I packed up my camp and got out of there in a hurry. I started the day on some nice twisty roads but I avoided a few bigger cities using the expressway. This is where I learned just how expensive it can be. Its about 10 to 30 Yen per km. So 100 km is going to cost you $10 to $30. But some roads are even more. 50Km between Kyoto and Osaka will cost you 2000 yen, or about $20. I pulled into Sendai in the evening. The first location for the youth hostel in my GPS was a fireman training school. The second location was a nice quite Hostel in a very cool part of town. The streets were just wide enough for 1 car. There were many nice little restaurants. I ate at a cool little bar called Savanna. The owner recommended I try the fried chicken. It was quite good. It seems the Japanese like their fried chicken as much if not more than Americans. It shows because in my opinion, they can do it better.

Where I camped.

Path to the shrine

the “abandoned” road I took the night before to find that spot.

I had to take a picture of these to bikes.

It is common to see bars like this on street bikes. Part of the bosozoku style.

The only building left.

Where a village once was.

Sept 26. Sendai to Tskuba . 375 km
I burned main roads mostly all day to try to get to Tskuba. I had a hot date with a Costa Rican girl named Ale I didn't want to miss out on. I pulled into Tskuba with an hour to spare. We chatted about Japan, Latin America, traveling, and her masters degree over some great Chinese food. It was nice to order with someone who could speak some Japanese. It was also nice to have the company of a beautiful smart lady for a few hours.

Sad to see this old Yamaha 250 2 cylender 2 smoker in this state. I know many Americans who would give their left nut to have this bike.. even in this condition.

Sept 27. Tskuba
While I was in Sakhalin I met a Latvian girl from the UK who was working in Sakhalin for a month. She said she would be flying into Tokyo after she was done in Sakhalin so we made plans to meet up. She was flying in the 27th but I felt like I needed to see Ale again so I decided to stay 1 more day in Tskuba. Serafima would have to spend a night in Tokyo without me. I explored the city some and tried to get caught up on some stuff. Later Ale met me for dinner and drinks. It was a great night.

I know if I don't post a picture you guys will wine about it.

Sept 28. To Tokyo. 94 km.
I had the GPS coordinates for "Asakusa smile Hostel" and a KTM dealer in Tokyo. Earlier I had sent a list of parts that I needed to them. The list: Cush drive damping rubber, swingarm brake line guide, mirror clamp for brake leaver, A few small pieces to rebuild the front brake, and counter shaft seal/o-ring. I decided to go to the KTM dealer first even though it was on the west side of town and I was coming form the northeast. They had a few of the parts I needed but most of them they would have to order. They said they would be there by the 2nd. This was ok because I planned to stay in Tokyo with the Latvian girl about that long anyway. I forgot about this thing called "rush hour". When I left the KTM shop, it was just starting. Luckily in Tokyo, the guys on scooters and bikes ride like madmen. So you just follow them through traffic and you can actually make some good time. Just remember you have bags on the back. This is a good reason to keep your bags no wider then your handlebars. If your bars can fit, your ass can also. I found the hostel and Serafima and we proceeded to have a few beers and make plans for the next few days.

At a KTM shop.

They love the Duke here.

I was drooling over this 690 SM though. Lots of orange bling :P
Old 10-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #2392
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoVonHawkrider View Post
Nah thats not the hairdo - this is (note - I never got the side height, but I did get the front look - and had a sleeveless t-shirt with horizontal stripes to finish the "look" - LOL - not my finest hour)

I knew I shouldn't have brought up flock of seagulls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
Great report and do check for updates everyday. On your haircut, were clippers in use? I remember my haircuts there in the early '60's where they used nothing but scissors and they worked them so fast with their fingers, it almost sounded like an electric pairs. keep it coming and thanks again for all the time and work to let us follow you.
Dude had a battery powered one that died halfway through and he had to borrow another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_N_Fodder View Post
Very late spectator to this mega thread. I'm a bit slow. Bummed that I missed you in Bend last year. Absolutely awesome to see your Japan shots, thanks a bunch.

Justin
Welcome to the party. You will just have to bump into me when I get back to the US. I'm sure i'll go back to Bend on the way home.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #2393
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,352
Wow, wow, wow!
You're right about that poor neglected Yamaha. What a shame, what a shame, what a shame.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #2394
Comrade Art
Working stiff

Oddometer: 518
Japan has some amazing scenery. Enjoy Tokyo

"All human beings by nature desire to know" - Aristotle
Comrade Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #2395
RC.
Cola

Oddometer: 90
Great pics of Hokkaido and the countryside of northeastern Japan. Many people first think of Tokyo and high-tech when they think of Japan, but as you are seeing, it can be a nature-lovers paradise, as well.

Do yourself a favor and hit up some onsen once in a while while you are there. No better way to relax a tired and stiff body from an epic RTW journey. Cheers, bro.
RC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #2396
KLRmonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Nice report Noah - keep it up. That building left standing looks familiar from when the actual waves hit, not sure if it's the same one where people filmed the damage from the rooftop when the swell moved in? Still on youtube.

Anyway, I was in the California quake in '94 and I was at CSUN just graduating - some quakes you just can't possibly sleep through. I was glad to be alive.
KLRmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #2397
johnnybgood8
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Just found this rr and Noah, you are here :)))))))))))
http://www.doklestignemo.me/2013/06/...rsk-and-altai/
johnnybgood8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:39 PM   #2398
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC. View Post
Great pics of Hokkaido and the countryside of northeastern Japan. Many people first think of Tokyo and high-tech when they think of Japan, but as you are seeing, it can be a nature-lovers paradise, as well.

Do yourself a favor and hit up some onsen once in a while while you are there. No better way to relax a tired and stiff body from an epic RTW journey. Cheers, bro.
Don't worry.. I did hit up some natural Onsen in Wakayama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRmonkey View Post
Nice report Noah - keep it up. That building left standing looks familiar from when the actual waves hit, not sure if it's the same one where people filmed the damage from the rooftop when the swell moved in? Still on youtube.

Anyway, I was in the California quake in '94 and I was at CSUN just graduating - some quakes you just can't possibly sleep through. I was glad to be alive.
I'm not sure. But this video is crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybgood8 View Post
Just found this rr and Noah, you are here :)))))))))))
http://www.doklestignemo.me/2013/06/...rsk-and-altai/
Yes Marko! I remember. Its to bad you couldn't enjoy the beers that night because you were riding. Also unfortunate I don't have any pictures of you two.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #2399
jmcg
Turpinated..

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
..headed south on a small toad..

Enjoying your RR + pics.

Many thanks.

Cheers,

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #2400
dave6253
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,065
Noah, I'm loving your view of the world. It seems like forever since you scouted my trip to Alaska.

johnnybgood8, Nice blog. It looks like you are documenting an awesome trip as well. Why not cross-post to a ride report here?