User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2014, 05:28 PM   #3211
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Ronin Moto:
I totally get what you mean. I like working on my bikes and quads and such as a hobby but if I had to do it for money I'd hate it. I am a machinist and really like that for work but I would go insane being a mechanic.
jj
Old 04-22-2014, 07:32 PM   #3212
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post

As for the writing for money.. some of you keep forgetting I'm not a writer. I'm an engineer. When I write this or my blog for fun, its easy because it doesn't have to be good. If someone is paying me for it, I'll worry about every word and ever sentence and it will kill my brain.
Writing for money is the wrong reason. It has to come from deep within because writing is really hard work. Once you find the reason for writing it will be easier. If it sells, that's the frosting on the cake. You have a zillion stories to tell, it may even write itself. Plus you have really great pics to say what can't be said in words. (Meant as words of encouragement from an old CS Prof.)
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:21 AM   #3213
Jbone11 11
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 594
...all this writting for money business makes me laugh and definitely strikes a cord with me.

In another life I was once an avid music lover...still am to a degree, but back then I ate, slept and breathed music....24/7.

Got into Dj'ing before the likes of todays idiots were learning their ABC's....for the older inmates....Dj'ing is art form where one takes a record on one turn table and using an audio mixer and some clever trickery, mixes another record on a seperate turntable blending both into a seemless mix, creating a different vibe, feeling what ever....basically creating music with music. Another big part of the job is to read the crowed and play accordingly...but I digress....

I ran the bar/club circuit in my town for a bit then decided to get serious and went to sound engineering school. Drank the cool-aid and made a go of it. Despite some initial success, I found out real quick that the life I had to lead to become sucessfull was not really for me. Once my reputation and livelyhood were on the line, the glamour of it all quickly faded. And despite what some may think, the work ethic needed to make it in the music industry is epic....and to have to go back and tap the creative well time and time agian is exhausting and for most finite.

I reckon that writting words is much the same as writting music. The pressures involved to come up with something freash and unique every single time, reapetedly is a tough gig.

In the end, I gave it up to save the love I had for music, not to mention my relationship with my now wife. But some of my friends have stayed the course....a couple of them are starting to get somewhere....only took them 8 years.

All that to say, if you're going to make something you love your profession, you need to either be freakishly talented at whatever it is you do or have an elite level work ethic. Unfortunately I fell short on both counts....well...maybe the more the latter than the former....I had the chops at one point

As an aside, but perhaps a little more relatable than the lofty production ambitions of some random dude on ADV, is a recent article on bikeexif.com written by the owner of Classified Moto, john Ryland about how to build bikes for a living ( http://www.bikeexif.com/build-custom-motorcycles) His shop is one of my favorites in the custom scene right now...and in the article he touches on the fact that having a regular J.O.B. while building bikes is essentially a must. Pretty much the idea he's pushing is to keep your hobby a hobby until the gains out pace your real world job.....then its a matter of taking a leap of faith and going for it. Interesting either way....
2003 Honda Hornet 600 (SOLD)
1969 BSA Royal Star - Let the Resurrection Begin!
Jbone11 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:36 AM   #3214
Just Bob
Been There Done That

Oddometer: 257
Subscribed...

Better late than never.

Very inspiring stuff! Thumbs up!
Old 04-24-2014, 09:06 AM   #3215
flyingdutchman177
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,410
Quote:
Nice pic Bigfella.

We made it about 880 km in the past 2 days. We are just west of BKK now. Trying to figure out if we should go into BKK or say Phuket

I'm not sure what the states will be like for me when I return. It will be interesting. Luckily I know a few places that are a slice of heaven. Even when I'm on the road, I think of them often.

My view of the world is changing every day. One day I loose faith in humanity and a few minutes later it is restored.

As for the writing for money.. some of you keep forgetting I'm not a writer. I'm an engineer. When I write this or my blog for fun, its easy because it doesn't have to be good. If someone is paying me for it, I'll worry about every word and ever sentence and it will kill my brain. Ask me to design a powerline or fix your moto and I'll be as happy as my brother in the Guinness factory. The fact remains that it would be WAY easier to take an engineering contract for a few months then it would be for me to write just about anything for money... And I'd probably make more money taking the contract. Plus, I'd be chomping at the bit to get back on the bike. Of course all this is just BS anyway and I don't know what I'm doing tomorrow, next week or a month from now.
Just in case you come up with a plan for the week, i am just a day or two's ride from you now in southern Cambodia and heading your way.
If you are not on the skinny part of thailand and heading south, let's meet up for another beer
Lalo
flyingdutchman177 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:13 AM   #3216
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,562
WTF is with all these beers?!

I'm packing and coming too, screw you guys!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:27 PM   #3217
ScooterC
Woohoo!!

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by cortez View Post
wtf is with all these beers?!

i'm packing and coming too, screw you guys!
+1
ScooterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:16 PM   #3218
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbone11 11 View Post
...all this writting for money business makes me laugh and definitely strikes a cord with me.

As an aside, but perhaps a little more relatable than the lofty production ambitions of some random dude on ADV, is a recent article on bikeexif.com written by the owner of Classified Moto, john Ryland about how to build bikes for a living ( http://www.bikeexif.com/build-custom-motorcycles) His shop is one of my favorites in the custom scene right now...and in the article he touches on the fact that having a regular J.O.B. while building bikes is essentially a must. Pretty much the idea he's pushing is to keep your hobby a hobby until the gains out pace your real world job.....then its a matter of taking a leap of faith and going for it. Interesting either way....
I read this guys article. I have also liked his bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
Just in case you come up with a plan for the week, i am just a day or two's ride from you now in southern Cambodia and heading your way.
If you are not on the skinny part of thailand and heading south, let's meet up for another beer
Lalo
We are north of Phuket now for a few days. I think you are planning on heading north again? We will probably have to take a rain check on that beer till somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
WTF is with all these beers?!

I'm packing and coming too, screw you guys!
As with most ride reports.. the number of beers, number of girls and overall rockstar status might be exaggerated some
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:59 PM   #3219
sk8
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen View Post
Definitely agreed. It is so important to travel, to see how others live, to look back at your home country from abroad, to get new perspectives on yourself. It will change you, for the better.
If the culture in the US was more like that of the Dutch, the Germans, the Aussies or Canadians to name a few, and world travel for their young was as important, our young would have far less fear that turns into hate. B
sk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:23 PM   #3220
MotoJim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Forma vs Sidi

Noah, excellent adventure! I just finished from start to current.

I am wondering how those Forma Adventures are holding up compared to the Sidi Adventures?

Do you think the Gortex version of the Sidi would have made a difference? It looked like at the end there the Sidis were having some structural issues.

I have always been a Sidi fan but the cost of the Gortex version are almost twice the cost of the Formas here in the States. I'm thinking that Sidi needs to belly up to the table with a stronger offering.

There's nothing like a real world testing laboratory with visible results for all to see.

Stay safe!
MotoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:43 PM   #3221
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8 View Post
If the culture in the US was more like that of the Dutch, the Germans, the Aussies or Canadians to name a few, and world travel for their young was as important, our young would have far less fear that turns into hate. B
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:45 PM   #3222
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8 View Post
Yes. Young kids need to experience the world and make their own opinions. I would avoid south east Asia though... at least at first. 20 year old Noah in a place where parties, girls and all sorts of temptation would have not really been beneficial to me. But who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJim View Post
Noah, excellent adventure! I just finished from start to current.

I am wondering how those Forma Adventures are holding up compared to the Sidi Adventures?

Do you think the Gortex version of the Sidi would have made a difference? It looked like at the end there the Sidis were having some structural issues.

I have always been a Sidi fan but the cost of the Gortex version are almost twice the cost of the Formas here in the States. I'm thinking that Sidi needs to belly up to the table with a stronger offering.

There's nothing like a real world testing laboratory with visible results for all to see.

Stay safe!
Formas are holding up better it seems. I don't like the Sidi adv. They should be called the Sidi touring. They don't have a strong enough sole offroad. And yes, they fell apart. I cant talk about the Gortex compared to the ones I had. But I am not sure how Gortex would help it structurally.

If/when I do central asia again, I won't use waterproof boots. I will wear motocross boots with an enduro sole.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:13 PM   #3223
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
If/when I do central asia again, I won't use waterproof boots. I will wear motocross boots with an enduro sole.
Gaerne ED-Pro Art 405 (only available in Japan)

DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:14 AM   #3224
utah powasaki
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Laugh

Loving it Noah, keep it up man! From one engineer to another, you've got an eye with that camera...even if you never make a dime off these photos they will bring a lot of joy hanging on a wall of yours some day!

Don't be too sad you missed the winter, it will come again! Besides you skipped out on one of the worst seasons the west has seen in recent history, I'd call that good timing for a moto trip!
utah powasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:02 AM   #3225
cold comfort
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Ride a KTM 690. Then go ride anything else. You will make up your mind. I have not had problems with reliability.

As far as a bike that is "proven reliable"...
My 690 has outlasted many friends XR 650Rs and I don't need to change the oil every 1000 miles.
Look at the MotoKiwi's thread about the reliability of a DR. (they are both on a 950 ktm now.) Of course Jammin has been rocking a DR with minimal problems.
Look at Fletch's thread about the reliability of the KLR 650. (and you get a heavy bike with no power and shit suspension! Yay!)

The 690 is reliable. It has great mileage. It has power. It can cruise at highway speeds. It can do offroad very well. It comes factory with OK suspension (even though the 690 has the bottom of the line WP suspension, it is still way better then most other bikes.) Unless you plan on making a thumper like the Walter and the boys, than the 690 is a great bike.

Since motorcycle manufacturer don't listen to people like us and build a small displacement ADV bike with a large oil reservoir and long maintenance interval, we have limited choice as to which bike can get the job done. (See bmw 1200, KTM 1190 adv, Yamaha super tenere, bla bla bla) Where is the 450 adv?

My next ADV bike will be another 690 or a custom thumper. Think KTM exe frame with rally fairing and a duke 390 motor. 42 hp is enough for me.
Well said. I''m loving my 690 already (replaced the 450 due to service schedule) . Also use Formas btw- very happy with them and would get them again. Great read too, thanks for posting. Following our friends "twomotokiwis" and living vicariously until Europe next year. Have to be content with up coming snowboarding season meantime! ;-)

cold comfort screwed with this post 04-28-2014 at 03:07 AM
cold comfort is offline   Reply With Quote