Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2014, 12:09 PM   #3226
ttime4four
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto
Ride a KTM 690. Then go ride anything else. You will make up your mind. I have not had problems with reliability.

As far as a bike that is "proven reliable"...
My 690 has outlasted many friends XR 650Rs and I don't need to change the oil every 1000 miles.
Look at the MotoKiwi's thread about the reliability of a DR. (they are both on a 950 ktm now.) Of course Jammin has been rocking a DR with minimal problems.
Look at Fletch's thread about the reliability of the KLR 650. (and you get a heavy bike with no power and shit suspension! Yay!)

The 690 is reliable. It has great mileage. It has power. It can cruise at highway speeds. It can do offroad very well. It comes factory with OK suspension (even though the 690 has the bottom of the line WP suspension, it is still way better then most other bikes.) Unless you plan on making a thumper like the Walter and the boys, than the 690 is a great bike.

Since motorcycle manufacturer don't listen to people like us and build a small displacement ADV bike with a large oil reservoir and long maintenance interval, we have limited choice as to which bike can get the job done. (See bmw 1200, KTM 1190 adv, Yamaha super tenere, bla bla bla) Where is the 450 adv?

My next ADV bike will be another 690 or a custom thumper. Think KTM exe frame with rally fairing and a duke 390 motor. 42 hp is enough for me.
What do you think of the CCM GP450? Seems like it might fit the bill quite nicely with the BMW engine, 5k mile service interval, 286 lbs (dry) and 235 mile range.

http://www.ccm-motorcycles.com/gp450.asp#.U16kfvldWCk
http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/cc...ion-confirmed/
'07 KTM 990 Adventure (gone), '08 Ducati 848 (RIP), '08 Hypermotard 1100 (gone), '86 Yamaha YX600 Radian (gone)
ttime4four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:14 PM   #3227
BikerBobber
Trying to get lost

Oddometer: 536
Mmmmm...drool....:

From my mobile
My translab adventure http://bobandmike10x10.blogspot.com/
BikerBobber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:29 PM   #3228
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,942
Awesome work Noah! I have ridden for as long as a week 2up on my 640A so I know how that works, it sure is cozy.

Still really enjoying following your exploits and I wish you safe travels. As I've said before there is an open invite if you wind up in NL, feel free to bring any friends along.

To jump in on the hobby/work thing I was a skibum for 20 years and learned partway through not to make my hobby my work and stayed at the bottom of the corporate ladder skiing every day, as I got older I was fine patrolling etc and making my ski days my work days… we all change. Eventually my life changed course and now as much as I'd love to go back into it, (please take me back to Japan), I can't afford those pay rates.

Now one of my biggest passions is beer and I'm running a beer of the month club with a buddy that's gone from 100 to 2700 members in 1.5 years by word of mouth. This game has led to much studying, gaining Certified Cicerone status, writing a biweekly newspaper column, soon teaching educational seminars to Newfoundland Liquor Corporation store staff. We are also planning beer themed tours for next year: one a canal tour through the Netherlands and Belgium and a motor coach tour through Belgium where I will be the beer guide. I'm probably going to be a local liquor agent importing as well. My original idea has kicked off the beer revolution in NL in a pretty big way and new things keep popping up to add.

This has been a fun few years travelling all the time for work doing product research (tasting a LOT of beer), meeting great people and bringing as much as I can home to the eager people where I live. This is still pretty much a hobby that doesn't generate much $$, I still work for a living for a couple of different employers and have managed to keep my freelance/seasonal lifestyle rarely working for longer thank 3 weeks at a time. What else can I say? Life is good despite not getting enough two wheeled time in.

It all depends how you look at your hobby/fun/joy/life balance, it takes choices and decisions and yes it can be quite easy to burn yourself out if you can't get the balance where you need it.

Sorry for my long winded hijack, back to the regular programming.
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:08 PM   #3229
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbone11 11 View Post
Once you see the world first hand and realize that the way they do things back home ain't the only or best way, you definitely start to see things in a different light. But I'll let Noah speak for himself....
Ain't that the truth.....always was curious about the world, but for a lot of reasons, none good, didn't travel when I was younger. But starting in 2003, got to start traveling for work to some pretty obscure places.......and some not so obscure. Wow, what a eye opener. What a great opportunity. Definitely changes the outlook on a lot of things in life.

I just am stunned when I run into travelers who can't or won't open their minds to rest of the world.......

Sad really......
Old 04-28-2014, 07:06 PM   #3230
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
I just am stunned when I run into travelers who can't or won't open their minds to rest of the world.......

Sad really......
Such a person is not a traveler, merely a tourist.
Bald Eagle Bastard
The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:12 AM   #3231
ShaneBaby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
going for my Indo visa tomorrow in Dili, Timor wondering if Ill get to see a big part of the inspiration for my trip along the way somewhere in Indo maybe? Which direction will he turn next folks? Or will he shack up with a girl in an obscure part of paradise somewhere and learn to surf and import more KTMs into SE Asia?
ShaneBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:39 PM   #3232
Bmcush
Wildman

Oddometer: 20
Noah, sort of off topic

What kinda of sleeping bag are you using and how well has it worked? I'm putting together a minor setup for a quick trip up to Alaska. I currently got a bunch of bags however none any smaller that 12 X 25 compressed and was wondering if you have somthing smaller, I'm finding that space is somewhat of a concern on 600 CC adventure bikes
Bmcush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:21 PM   #3233
Gordon and Toni
Easy Livin

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmcush View Post
Noah, sort of off topic

What kinda of sleeping bag are you using and how well has it worked? I'm putting together a minor setup for a quick trip up to Alaska. I currently got a bunch of bags however none any smaller that 12 X 25 compressed and was wondering if you have somthing smaller, I'm finding that space is somewhat of a concern on 600 CC adventure bikes
Marmot Sawtooth #22660 sleeping bag and REI Compression Stuff Sack 11 liters this combination will compress to a very small package . Both can be found at your REI store.

2009 HD Road King from Ohio to Alaska and back..
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=933871
Gordon and Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:58 AM   #3234
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttime4four View Post
What do you think of the CCM GP450? Seems like it might fit the bill quite nicely with the BMW engine, 5k mile service interval, 286 lbs (dry) and 235 mile range.

http://www.ccm-motorcycles.com/gp450.asp#.U16kfvldWCk
http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/cc...ion-confirmed/
Time will tell. As I've said before, I'd love to be a test pilot. I'm not sure if I will pony up the money for the next travel bike or build the ultimate 690.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
Awesome work Noah! I have ridden for as long as a week 2up on my 640A so I know how that works, it sure is cozy.

Still really enjoying following your exploits and I wish you safe travels. As I've said before there is an open invite if you wind up in NL, feel free to bring any friends along.

To jump in on the hobby/work thing I was a skibum for 20 years and learned partway through not to make my hobby my work and stayed at the bottom of the corporate ladder skiing every day, as I got older I was fine patrolling etc and making my ski days my work days… we all change. Eventually my life changed course and now as much as I'd love to go back into it, (please take me back to Japan), I can't afford those pay rates.

Now one of my biggest passions is beer and I'm running a beer of the month club with a buddy that's gone from 100 to 2700 members in 1.5 years by word of mouth. This game has led to much studying, gaining Certified Cicerone status, writing a biweekly newspaper column, soon teaching educational seminars to Newfoundland Liquor Corporation store staff. We are also planning beer themed tours for next year: one a canal tour through the Netherlands and Belgium and a motor coach tour through Belgium where I will be the beer guide. I'm probably going to be a local liquor agent importing as well. My original idea has kicked off the beer revolution in NL in a pretty big way and new things keep popping up to add.

This has been a fun few years travelling all the time for work doing product research (tasting a LOT of beer), meeting great people and bringing as much as I can home to the eager people where I live. This is still pretty much a hobby that doesn't generate much $$, I still work for a living for a couple of different employers and have managed to keep my freelance/seasonal lifestyle rarely working for longer thank 3 weeks at a time. What else can I say? Life is good despite not getting enough two wheeled time in.

It all depends how you look at your hobby/fun/joy/life balance, it takes choices and decisions and yes it can be quite easy to burn yourself out if you can't get the balance where you need it.

Sorry for my long winded hijack, back to the regular programming.
I loved my 640 :)
Good beer is like a good bike.. good coffee.. good wine.. when you get it.. you get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
Ain't that the truth.....always was curious about the world, but for a lot of reasons, none good, didn't travel when I was younger. But starting in 2003, got to start traveling for work to some pretty obscure places.......and some not so obscure. Wow, what a eye opener. What a great opportunity. Definitely changes the outlook on a lot of things in life.

Sad really......
Ehh.. it is what it is. As long as someone steps just a little bit out of their comfort zone, they might find just a little bit of truth and want more.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:05 AM   #3235
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneBaby View Post
going for my Indo visa tomorrow in Dili, Timor wondering if Ill get to see a big part of the inspiration for my trip along the way somewhere in Indo maybe? Which direction will he turn next folks? Or will he shack up with a girl in an obscure part of paradise somewhere and learn to surf and import more KTMs into SE Asia?
We are heading into Malaysia in the next few days. PM sent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmcush View Post
Noah, sort of off topic

I have a Western Mountaineering down 30 degrees f bag. My camp pad is a Therma Rest Neo air or something. those go in a small (12 liter?) dry bag. This goes in a 25 liter GL drybag with my Sierra design 2 person tent.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:20 PM   #3236
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
This goes in a 25 liter GL drybag with my Sierra design 2 person tent.
Now that's good planning right there.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:30 PM   #3237
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Now that's good planning right there.
Even for 1 person, the 2 person tent is better. You don't save much weight with between a 2 person tent and a 1 person tent. When you have to sleep in the rain, you have 1/2 of the tent to put your gear... Jacket, helmet, pants, and electronics you don't want sitting in the rain. If its really raining hard, I will sleep diagonal in the tent so my feet or head don't touch in the night. Even the best waterproof tent will let water soak through if you are touching it from the inside all night.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:23 AM   #3238
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Even for 1 person, the 2 person tent is better. You don't save much weight with between a 2 person tent and a 1 person tent. When you have to sleep in the rain, you have 1/2 of the tent to put your gear... Jacket, helmet, pants, and electronics you don't want sitting in the rain. If its really raining hard, I will sleep diagonal in the tent so my feet or head don't touch in the night. Even the best waterproof tent will let water soak through if you are touching it from the inside all night.
Sure, that's why you got it!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:27 PM   #3239
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,341
Agree 100% on having a two person tent. So much more room to organize your things and stretch out. I quickly switched over to them in my solo roaming/ camping about the USA days.
Loving the report!

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 73,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:09 PM   #3240
vander
full-time dreamer

Oddometer: 914
I remember you had to weld your rims in ¿Japan?, but how often you tighten your spokes?

Happy with the Dirtstars?