User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2014, 05:39 PM   #3226
Bmcush
Wildman

Oddometer: 29
Noah, sort of off topic

What kinda of sleeping bag are you using and how well has it worked? I'm putting together a minor setup for a quick trip up to Alaska. I currently got a bunch of bags however none any smaller that 12 X 25 compressed and was wondering if you have somthing smaller, I'm finding that space is somewhat of a concern on 600 CC adventure bikes
Bmcush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:21 PM   #3227
Gordon and Toni
MC Rider

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmcush View Post
Noah, sort of off topic

What kinda of sleeping bag are you using and how well has it worked? I'm putting together a minor setup for a quick trip up to Alaska. I currently got a bunch of bags however none any smaller that 12 X 25 compressed and was wondering if you have somthing smaller, I'm finding that space is somewhat of a concern on 600 CC adventure bikes
Marmot Sawtooth #22660 sleeping bag and REI Compression Stuff Sack 11 liters this combination will compress to a very small package . Both can be found at your REI store.

2009 HD Road King from Ohio to Alaska and back..
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=933871
Gordon and Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:58 AM   #3228
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttime4four View Post
What do you think of the CCM GP450? Seems like it might fit the bill quite nicely with the BMW engine, 5k mile service interval, 286 lbs (dry) and 235 mile range.

http://www.ccm-motorcycles.com/gp450.asp#.U16kfvldWCk
http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/cc...ion-confirmed/
Time will tell. As I've said before, I'd love to be a test pilot. I'm not sure if I will pony up the money for the next travel bike or build the ultimate 690.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
Awesome work Noah! I have ridden for as long as a week 2up on my 640A so I know how that works, it sure is cozy.

Still really enjoying following your exploits and I wish you safe travels. As I've said before there is an open invite if you wind up in NL, feel free to bring any friends along.

To jump in on the hobby/work thing I was a skibum for 20 years and learned partway through not to make my hobby my work and stayed at the bottom of the corporate ladder skiing every day, as I got older I was fine patrolling etc and making my ski days my work days… we all change. Eventually my life changed course and now as much as I'd love to go back into it, (please take me back to Japan), I can't afford those pay rates.

Now one of my biggest passions is beer and I'm running a beer of the month club with a buddy that's gone from 100 to 2700 members in 1.5 years by word of mouth. This game has led to much studying, gaining Certified Cicerone status, writing a biweekly newspaper column, soon teaching educational seminars to Newfoundland Liquor Corporation store staff. We are also planning beer themed tours for next year: one a canal tour through the Netherlands and Belgium and a motor coach tour through Belgium where I will be the beer guide. I'm probably going to be a local liquor agent importing as well. My original idea has kicked off the beer revolution in NL in a pretty big way and new things keep popping up to add.

This has been a fun few years travelling all the time for work doing product research (tasting a LOT of beer), meeting great people and bringing as much as I can home to the eager people where I live. This is still pretty much a hobby that doesn't generate much $$, I still work for a living for a couple of different employers and have managed to keep my freelance/seasonal lifestyle rarely working for longer thank 3 weeks at a time. What else can I say? Life is good despite not getting enough two wheeled time in.

It all depends how you look at your hobby/fun/joy/life balance, it takes choices and decisions and yes it can be quite easy to burn yourself out if you can't get the balance where you need it.

Sorry for my long winded hijack, back to the regular programming.
I loved my 640 :)
Good beer is like a good bike.. good coffee.. good wine.. when you get it.. you get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
Ain't that the truth.....always was curious about the world, but for a lot of reasons, none good, didn't travel when I was younger. But starting in 2003, got to start traveling for work to some pretty obscure places.......and some not so obscure. Wow, what a eye opener. What a great opportunity. Definitely changes the outlook on a lot of things in life.

I just am stunned when I run into travelers who can't or won't open their minds to rest of the world.......

Sad really......
Ehh.. it is what it is. As long as someone steps just a little bit out of their comfort zone, they might find just a little bit of truth and want more.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:05 AM   #3229
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneBaby View Post
going for my Indo visa tomorrow in Dili, Timor wondering if Ill get to see a big part of the inspiration for my trip along the way somewhere in Indo maybe? Which direction will he turn next folks? Or will he shack up with a girl in an obscure part of paradise somewhere and learn to surf and import more KTMs into SE Asia?
We are heading into Malaysia in the next few days. PM sent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmcush View Post
Noah, sort of off topic

I have a Western Mountaineering down 30 degrees f bag. My camp pad is a Therma Rest Neo air or something. those go in a small (12 liter?) dry bag. This goes in a 25 liter GL drybag with my Sierra design 2 person tent.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:20 PM   #3230
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 7,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
This goes in a 25 liter GL drybag with my Sierra design 2 person tent.
Now that's good planning right there.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:30 PM   #3231
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Now that's good planning right there.
Even for 1 person, the 2 person tent is better. You don't save much weight with between a 2 person tent and a 1 person tent. When you have to sleep in the rain, you have 1/2 of the tent to put your gear... Jacket, helmet, pants, and electronics you don't want sitting in the rain. If its really raining hard, I will sleep diagonal in the tent so my feet or head don't touch in the night. Even the best waterproof tent will let water soak through if you are touching it from the inside all night.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:23 AM   #3232
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Even for 1 person, the 2 person tent is better. You don't save much weight with between a 2 person tent and a 1 person tent. When you have to sleep in the rain, you have 1/2 of the tent to put your gear... Jacket, helmet, pants, and electronics you don't want sitting in the rain. If its really raining hard, I will sleep diagonal in the tent so my feet or head don't touch in the night. Even the best waterproof tent will let water soak through if you are touching it from the inside all night.
Sure, that's why you got it!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 05-04-2014, 12:27 PM   #3233
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,468
Agree 100% on having a two person tent. So much more room to organize your things and stretch out. I quickly switched over to them in my solo roaming/ camping about the USA days.
Loving the report!

A '00 KLR 650 40,000 miles, A '07 1250S 74,000 , A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 78,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:09 PM   #3234
vander
full-time dreamer

Oddometer: 918
I remember you had to weld your rims in ¿Japan?, but how often you tighten your spokes?

Happy with the Dirtstars?
Old 05-04-2014, 08:42 PM   #3235
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vander View Post
I remember you had to weld your rims in ¿Japan?, but how often you tighten your spokes?

Happy with the Dirtstars?
I had a cracked rim in Mongolia. I rode about 7,000 km on it into Russia where KTMMitch had sent a new (to me) front rim to Irkutsk for me. I was thinking about trying to get it welded but the crack wasn't spreading so we left it.

I had a small crack in the frame in Japan that I had welded. I have not seen a problem with that crack yet. The frame on the KTM is chromoly. Chromoly is stronger and lighter than steal but more "brittle". Vibration stress will cause cracks over time.

I love the dirtstar rims. They are strong and light. No reason to replace the stock rims on the 690.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:38 PM   #3236
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
I had a small crack in the frame in Japan that I had welded. I have not seen a problem with that crack yet. The frame on the KTM is chromoly. Chromoly is stronger and lighter than steal but more "brittle". Vibration stress will cause cracks over time.
That sounds like a good idea for a big bore offroad single.

Good thing it's not a 640!

Old 05-04-2014, 10:12 PM   #3237
just jeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
That sounds like a good idea for a big bore offroad single.

Good thing it's not a 640!
Chromoly is very commonly used for motorcycle frames. It is light and much cheaper than aluminum alloy. Try and find someone with the equipment to weld aluminum in the outback of a third world country!!
ErikMotoMan: "People struggle with many things in their lives. But the answer to struggle isn’t MORE struggle. It’s peace. If you want more joy, peace, love, happiness… you have to GIVE those things first. You have to THINK those things. You have to have faith that they’ll come to you, despite what you may see. The truth isn’t in what you see with your eyes. It’s what you feel in your heart."
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:24 PM   #3238
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just jeff View Post
Chromoly is very commonly used for motorcycle frames. It is light and much cheaper than aluminum alloy. Try and find someone with the equipment to weld aluminum in the outback of a third world country!!
Yeah, I know, it wouldn't make sense if it was an ALU frame, but pure steel
could have worked, maybe? A 640 would crack an aluminium frame just idling.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:30 AM   #3239
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

March 20. Vientiane to Vang Vieng. 173 km.
We had a pretty easy day riding from Vientiane up to Vang Vieng. We rode through the hills and didn't take a single picture. Its easy to get complacent on a day like that until you come around the corner to a buss passing a truck in your lane. Luckily I wasn't leaning her over or pushing hard and there was a “shoulder”. Many places if you are pushed from your lane, you won't find solid ground for 20 or 30 meters below. I didn't even honk the horn. I think I just yelled F**K! and braked hard to put the bike upright so I could get over to avoid a head on. We met a couple from Bulgaria who were renting 250 Hondas. They said they had about a week and had a nice route planned. Later I received an email that one of the bikes broke 1 days later and they finished the trip 2 up. Not quite my idea of fun... 2 up on a 250. Better then 2 up on a win 110 I guess. It was early when we got to Vang Vieng. We walked around the town looking for post office. Normally they have post cards but this place didn't. They even said they were out of stamps and we could come back in the morning to get some. We walked around the whole town looking for postcards. Just when we were about ot give up, we fould a place with some. They were about 3x more expesive they we were used to but we still bought a few. Of course every store, guesthouse and cafe had them on display after that. And they were all priced cheaper.

Our view in from dinner.

March 21. Vang Vieng to Phonsavan. 267 km.
About 20 km East of Vang Vieng there is the Nam Ngum 2 reservoir. This was flooded a few years ago taking out a few roads and villages in the vally. We knew there was a ferry that crossed the lake about 20 km to the east side to connect with the existing roads. The road to get to the ferry would have not been any fun in a car but on the bike it was ok. At the ferry, they said it would be 3 or 4 hours. It was noon already. 3 or 4 hours +1 hour on the boat would put us at the other side with about 1.5 hours of light to do 90 km to the next town with a hotel. Of coarse we knew nothing of the road on the other side so we decided to back track to Vang Vieng and ride the twisty main roads north. Number 13 was a main road that twisted its way up a valley with tall mountains on either side. In the late afternoon we turned onto number 7 to head east toward Phonsavan. 7 follows the ridge line and is just brilliant to ride. Once the sun started to set, the weather actually got cold. I was ok but she got really cold. We made sure the hotel had a nice hot shower that night.

Am I back in Russia?

Sweet home made 6x6 with a 1 cyclinder genereator engine.

The ferry on the left. If we were going to wait and ride it, I would have to ride down a skinny path, across that board into the restaurant then into the boat.

A village near Nam Ngum reservoir.

North of Vang Vieng

Polish traveler we met at lunch. Dont need much to have an adventure.

About to get cold.

March 22. Phonsavan to Xamneua (Sam Neua) 237 km.
Leaving north from Phonsavan we carved our way through the small hills and valleys until we reached the town of Muang Kham where we left 7 and started on 1C. As soon as we got onto 1C we started to climb and our pace dropped. The rest of the day would be spent on 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear twisties. It was rare we had the bike up to 100 km/h. And if we did, the next corner required hard braking and 3 downshifts so you don't fly off into space. We had noodle soup for lunch and met 2 guys riding Chinese 150s. One was from Canada and one was from Laos. After looking at the map, they said they were headed north to Xamneua and they recommend the ride. When you have a vague plan, its easy to change direction so we headed north the same way as these 2 guys. We would pass them easily then stop for waterfall, coffee or pee break and they would pass us again. This lasted for about 50 km until I decided to open her up some. It was getting late and we needed to get to that town before dark. That night the only thing we could find was noodle soup. She was starting to get sick of the noodle soup. I normally don't care to much about eating the same thing for days on end. That being said, when there is a chance to get something else I jump on it. In this town though.. there was only noodle soup.

Climbing out of the valley on road 1C.

Village on a mountain top. This was very common because the road usually followed the ridgelines.

In the early afternoon we went in and out of the clouds.

March 23. Xamneua and VeingXay caves. 64 km
It was raining when we woke up and a colder morning than we had experienced for a long time. From Xamneua to VeingXay is about 30 km and even with the wet pavement, it went fast. We got to the office of the caves around noon and they told us the next tour would start at 1:00. So we found a small Indian restaurant to have some food. It was great food but it took forever to make. Normally I don't mind this but we didn't want to miss the tour.
VeingXay is a small town in northern Laos. For 9 years between 1964 and 1973, the Pathet Lao used caves for shelter from US bombs. They had offices, schools, hospitals, barracks, homes and even a theater. More bombs per capita were dropped on Laos than any other people in history. The Pathet Lao was apposed to the US/French backed Royal Government in Vientiane. The people in this area farmed at night to avoid the bombing raids and as many as 20,000 of them lived in the caves in this area. This was also part of the supply line for the Ho Chi Minh Trail, one of the reasons for the heavy bombing. The Pathet Lao learned many things from the Vietcong including how to spot the difference between bombers, fighters, scout planes and transport planes. In the 50s The CIA set up an “airline” in Laos called Air America. For many years this was called a “civilian corporation” but it was under direct command of the CIA. The operations in Laos were the largest paramilitary operations the CIA had ever conducted. What the CIA says about it.
Then there was the bombing. In the 9 years the US bombed Laos, more bombs were dropped then in WW2 by the US. About 2.5 million tons of munitions. Laos is still the most heavily bombed country in the world per capita. Many of them were cluster bombs. It is believed as much as 30% of the bombs dropped failed to explode on impact. Unexploded Ordnance (UXOs) continue to kill 100 people a year in Loas. There are believed to be somewhere around 80 million unexploded bombies in Laos. There is a good video about bombies here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HPH7grVHR0 According to the Geneva Agreement from 1962, Laos was supposed to be a neutral country. Vietnam also signed this agreement and was using Laos as a supply line to the south. Still, the amount of money the US has sent for aid in cleaning up the Bombies does not compare to the amount of money spent to drop bombs in Laos. Since 1997, the US has spent about 47 million to help clean UXOs in Laos. This is compared to around 17 million per day bombing Laos (adjusted for today dollars). Long story short, Loas was proper fooked and will be for a long time until the the bombs are cleaned up. Cluster bombs and land mines should not be used by any country. But they still are being used in places like Syria and Sudan. In 1998 the Convention on Cluster Munitions made an international treaty to ban the production, sale, stockpile or use of cluster bombs. As of 2013, 108 countries had signed the treaty. The US did not sign this treaty along with China, Russia, India, Israel, Pakistan and Brazil. It has been 40 year since bombing stopped in Laos and at current rate, the country will not be clean for at least another 40 years. Its really tough to think that places like Syria will be basically fooked for the next 40 to 100 years. Not just from the current conflict. If the lack of infrastructure, economy, and basic human needs is not enough to keep this country from rebuilding, they will also have to deal with UXOs and landmines. More info here
http://www.stopclustermunitions.org/.../history-harm/

We went back to Xamneua and found another hotel. We walked around looking for food and all we could find was noodle soup. Of course I didn't mind but she was not happy about it. It was cold again that night and we slept good.

Inside of a airtight bunker deep inside a cave.

An airpump and filter.

Meeting room.

A thick blast wall in front of a cave.

Looking out from where a gun turret was mounted in a cave on the side of a cliff.

This large cavern was used as a movie theater and gathering haul for weddings and celebrations.

I tried to find markings on the axles to see what it started out as but no luck.

March 24. Xamneua to Nong Khiaw. 313 km.
We had nice low clouds hanging on the mountains as we rode south. We had to backtrack about 90 km to the junction where we would turn to Nong Khiaw. The whole day was spend going up and down hills, riding on ridge lines or in valleys. We were definitely using the sides of the tires more than the middle. Toward the evening we stopped for a quick break and found some interesting plants. If you touched them, they would close their leaves. Later someone told us they are “touch me not”. Well for about 30 minutes we were crouched on the side of the road playing with these plants like little kids. That evening we stayed the night in a hotel over looking the Nam Ou river. The place we stayed had the most amazing fried rice I have had in a long time. Yellow curry chicken fried rice. I would order it 3 more times.

A few km down the road we saw a school that was using bomb for the flagpole base. This is just outside someone's house.

We never saw any.

Nececity is the mother of invention. Hydro genereators under a bridge.

Open

Closed

Nam Ou river.

March 25. Rest day in Nong Khiaw.
The next day when 11:00 rolled around and we had not moved any, we decided to stay another day. After all, the view was good, the room was cheap, and we could get decent food that wasn't noodle soup. In the afternoon I met a couple who were traveling in an old Mercedes van. She was from Spain and he was from Italy. The linkage from the throttle to the injector pump broke. When I was looking in my parts for something to fix it, I found a spare front spoke. The thread on the spoke was the same thread as the rod end that connects to the ball on the injector pump. We were able to fabricate a decent linkage on the side of the road. That night we all met up for food, drinks and stories. They had driven across India and Myanmar so it was interesting to hear what they had to say.

http://somnisbus.wordpress.com/

Bad picture of the linkage fix.

March 26. Nong Khiaw to Oudomxay 119 km.
One of the worst roads that we had ridden in Laos... Even when we were not on a road. In the afternoon I heard some noise and she said the passenger peg feels funny. The peg mounts on the luggage rack which connects to the cast aluminum foot peg mount below. We found the cast aluminum had broken from the stress. This did not break from 1 bump. For 98,000 km this part has been supporting the weight of the luggage rack and now a second rider. No matter how strong you make an ADV bike, you will always break parts. Build, ride, break, upgrade, repeat. We stayed the night in Oudomxay. The town has a large Chinese population so we were loving the food.

We can only hope that it was spoiled beer. I should have taken this as a bad sign for the day.

March 27. Fixing the bike in Oudomxay.
I had to figure some sort of fix for the mount of the luggage rack before we could continue. I had a small piece of steal about 10 cm long, 2 cm wide and 5 mm thick. It fit nicely between the rack and the foot peg mount. If I could not replace the mount for a while, at least the luggage rack could rest on this steel piece. It would get rid of any side loading from the weight of the bags. The other bolt would stop any other movement. I found a scooter shop with a drill press and they put a hole where I had marked. By early afternoon the bike was good to go again.

March 28. Oudomxay to Luang Namtha.119 km.
Not a long day. The first 50 km or so were very smooth curvy. Great fun. The last 70 were straighter. Again it was super hot so we didn't mind ending the riding day at 2 or 3 in the afternoon. Luang Namtha is a touristy town. Its really easy to find the places where the buses stop. The streets are filled with “jungle trekking” “motorbike rent” “ethnic village home stay” and “visa run” signs. You will be able to find a good coffee, but it will cost you 3 dollars instead of 50 cents. There were 3 or 4 Chinese bike dealers in this town. For about $1000 you could get a Lifan 150. Same bike in Mongolia would cost you about $700. I'm not sure why the price difference.

Great roads

I was told this is a 2015 chev silverado. :P

March 29. Riding near Luang Namtha. 123 km.
We rode toward the “Silver Triangle”. This is where China, Laos and Myanmar meet. We rode to a small town and looked for a place to eat. It none of the cafes seemed to be open but luckily we were able to find some ice cream. We went back to our hotel without seeing the Myanmar or China border. Oh well. That evening we met a guy from Oz who was had ridden an Ensfield 500 from India and he was on his way back to Oz. He was working on his bike an told us he had accidentally had a head on collision with a guy on a scooter. The scooter was totaled but the Ensfield just had a few dings. The exhaust and foot peg were a bit bent. He said he had to buy a new scooter for the guy he ran into because the accident was in fact his fault. I suppose if you crash into someone and total their bike, $900 isn't very much. Good thing the guy wasn't on a Harley or BMW.

A GL brother!

March 30. Luang Namtha to Vieng Phouka. 88 km
We took a short ride down to Vieng Phouka. There were 2 caves near the town we thought we would go check out. We found a $5 bungalow overlooking the river. Its great when you ask about wifi and they laugh. I don't think phone lines had been brought to this town yet. Sometimes it surprises you who actually has wifi though. We rode to one of the caves and there was no one selling tickets so we walked back to the cave. There was a door on the cave but no lock so we walked in. We didn't have headlamps or flashlights so about 20 meters was all we dared to venture in. We agreed it was enough caves for us for a while. That evening we walked to the market and found different fried sausages, dumplings, and meats.. all on sticks. Not the most healthy thing we had eaten and definitely not the best either.

Forgot to set that parking brake.

I'm not sure what this is. Maybe some sort of mine?

March 31. Vieng Phouka to Houayxay (near northern Thai/Laos friendship bridge) 121 km
The town of Houayxay is about 10 km north of the northern “friendship bridge” between Laos and Thailand. Before the bridge was built ferries were used. Now ferries are basically only used for people. It was easy to find a good meal and a good hotel in this town. We had been in Laos for almost a month. It was time to move on in the morning.

Whoops.

Double whoops. For those keeping score at home, that's 4 truck accidents in about 150 km.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:46 AM   #3240
flyingdutchman177
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,078
hey

March 21. Vang Vieng to Phonsavan. 267 km. About 20 km East of Vang Vieng there is the Nam Ngum 2 reservoir. This was flooded a few years ago taking out a few roads and villages in the vally. We knew there was a ferry that crossed the lake about 20 km to the east side to connect with the existing roads. The road to get to the ferry would have not been any fun in a car but on the bike it was ok. At the ferry, they said it would be 3 or 4 hours. It was noon already. 3 or 4 hours +1 hour on the boat would put us at the other side with about 1.5 hours of light to do 90 km to the next town with a hotel. Of coarse we knew nothing of the road on the other side so we decided to back track to Vang Vieng and ride the twisty main roads north. Number 13 was a main road that twisted its way up a valley with tall mountains on either side. In the late afternoon we turned onto number 7 to head east toward Phonsavan. 7 follows the ridge line and is just brilliant to ride. Once the sun started to set, the weather actually got cold. I was ok but she got really cold. We made sure the hotel had a nice hot shower that night.

Too bad you didn't make across the lake. I was curious what you thought of the road that continued. Especially the part at the end that turned in to single track. And there was a small town on the other side that had couple of guest houses. But imformation is certainly not perfect in Laos.
And why are you so behind with you report?
Is the honey keeping you busy in the evenings
flyingdutchman177 is online now   Reply With Quote