Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2014, 12:38 PM   #3301
Comrade Art
Working stiff

Oddometer: 452
Looking forward to your Indonesia report. Are you stopping by East Timor?

"All human beings by nature desire to know" - Aristotle
Comrade Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:24 PM   #3302
Jbone11 11
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 594
Cool...Tx dude! Been a while since I've been to the first page
2003 Honda Hornet 600 (SOLD)
1969 BSA Royal Star - Let the Resurrection Begin!
Jbone11 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:02 AM   #3303
MalayznSenzashn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Thanks!!

Long time reader, first time poster.

This has been a fantastic read for me. Your diligence with posting has allowed me to live vicariously through your adventures...for now. From the tech info to the adventure travel to the display of the appropo attitude:

You are now in and have been traveling through the countries of my birth (Malaysia) and that of my youth (Thailand). So, I had to say something.

Cant wait to read more...and if you are ever in the North East of the USofA, beers on me...unless we are in Patagonia at the same time, then they are still on me

Oh yeah...

You have another godchild:

...seriously you should get commissions from KTM.
MalayznSenzashn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:02 PM   #3304
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Art View Post
Looking forward to your Indonesia report. Are you stopping by East Timor?
Possible. I'm not sure if I'll ship to Oz from Dili or Bali. I fly to Sumatra today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalayznSenzashn View Post
Long time reader, first time poster.

This has been a fantastic read for me. Your diligence with posting has allowed me to live vicariously through your adventures...for now. From the tech info to the adventure travel to the display of the appropo attitude:

You are now in and have been traveling through the countries of my birth (Malaysia) and that of my youth (Thailand). So, I had to say something.

Cant wait to read more...and if you are ever in the North East of the USofA, beers on me...unless we are in Patagonia at the same time, then they are still on me

Oh yeah...

You have another godchild:

...seriously you should get commissions from KTM.
Thanks bud. Congrats on the new bike. I would be happy just to get a sit down meeting with the "bigwigs" of KTM. Not for money, not for fame, not for a new bike. Just to tell them what an "adventure bike" should actually be.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:30 PM   #3305
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Oddometer: 669
[QUOTE=RoninMoto;24283231
Thanks bud. Congrats on the new bike. I would be happy just to get a sit down meeting with the "bigwigs" of KTM. Not for money, not for fame, not for a new bike. Just to tell them what an "adventure bike" should actually be.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to hear that. Light weight, 6 speed, reliable, tubeless tires, 4 gallon or so tank, integrated crash worthy luggage, 21" front, 18" rear, adjustable height, ease of maintenance things that only time on the road teach.... um what else?
'11 WR250R
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #3306
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
I'd like to hear that. Light weight, 6 speed, reliable, tubeless tires, 4 gallon or so tank, integrated crash worthy luggage, 21" front, 18" rear, adjustable height, ease of maintenance things that only time on the road teach.... um what else?
Less then 150 kilo. 50 hp. At least 5000 km oil change interval. Wide ratio tranny. The rest is gravy in the setup.

If KTM doesn't want to make a small adventure bike, then make a street legal 450 or 500 that the oil doesn't need to be changed every weekend. Why is it so easy to make a WR250x or a 690R with a long oil change interval, but there is no 450 capable of this? WHAT IS SO EFFING DIFFICULT ABOUT THAT? (DRZ400 does not count as its only 27 hp.. in my opinion)

RoninMoto screwed with this post 05-30-2014 at 09:29 PM
Old 05-30-2014, 06:52 PM   #3307
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Southern Thailand (and some northern also)

April 21. Chiang Mai to Mae Sot. 432 km.
We were up early and at the post when it opened at 8:30. We knew we had to cover some kms and get south. We headed south west toward the Myanmar boarder. There wasn't much for villages along the way but the riding was pretty good. The road was twisty and good scenery. Only a 10 km stretch or so with 20 year old tarmac. The rest was new or being rebuilt. Mae Sot is a pretty big town and there are many expats living there. Most of them trying to help the refugee situation with Myanmar. A quick search on Google revealed an amazing burger shop. I was craving a burger and this place was just the ticket. After a burger, salad and dark beer, I was ready to go back and pass out. It had been a long day.

Waiting for construction.

Why do you ride KTM?

Sometimes when I close my eyes and dream, it looks like this.

Thats Myanmar.

Reminds me of home..

Coolest keychain/bottle opener ever. Made from a connecting rod from a scoot.

Hmmmm

April 22. Mae Sot to Kanchanaburi. 510 km
From Mae Sot we went over some hills toward the main north/south road in Thailand. After about 100 km of nice riding, we hit straight, hot, boring 4 lane road. It was hell. Days like this make you wonder why you are traveling on a bike. You really need to turn your brain off so you don't think about how boring or uncomfortable it is in the sun. You also need to make sure you are drinking as much water as you are loosing. The guest house we stayed at had a pool so we cooled off while we watched the sunset.

Gunna need a new one soon.

You are reading that correct America. That is a Chevy with a 2.8L Durramax. WTF.

Our sancturary from the heat.

View from the pool.

April 23. Kanchanaburi to Bangkok. 132 km.
Originally our plan was to go to the "Tiger Temple" but after reading some reviews and accounts from locals, we decided against it. There are allegations of illegal tiger trading and drugging of the tigers. When you think about it, how else could you take a picture cuddling with a tiger if it wasn't on some sort of sedative. To each their own I guess. I can't say whether its true or not, but I wasn't going to give my money to them in the chance that it was true. It was a hot quick ride into BKK. Traffic in BKK is always shit but we got to the guest house relatively quickly. Only a few times I was not able to fit between cars and had to wait for the light to turn green.

April 24. BKK.
Explored the city some. Went to "Little India". We didn't see any protest, soldiers or anything. We didn't go looking for it though. Now when I am writing this, friends in Chaing Mai and BKK are posting pictures and videos of Soldiers. Now there is a curfew. I'd rather there isn't violence and unrest. But when people are starving, they will do just about anything. The river taxi is kind of crazy. They dock quickly and you basically jump the gap. Everybody jumps the gap like its no big deal. Even grandma. The river is very rough because there are so many boats running.

I thought when you make an assumption..

Everone in Asia except me has an Iphone.

Back alley electro-plating place.

April 25. Bangkok to a beach village near Chumphon. 467 km.
Torn from my dream at 6:00 am, I was forced to get up and start packing. I know how shitty the traffic in BKK can be so I wanted to get on the road. By 8:30 we were 70 km out of the city so we sat down and had breakfast and coffee. By noon we had already ridden close to 300 km. I often forget how much distance you can cover if you get on the road early. We finished up the day in a small village on the beach with a handful of small bungalow resorts. $30 got us a pretty new hotel room with AC right on the beach. We drank a bottle of wine, ate street food on our deck and watched a movie on my computer while the waves gently massaged the shore.

Our view.

April 26. Chumphon to Khoa Lak. 348 km.
I woke up early and took "dip" in the ocean with my camera to take a few sunrise pics. The ride to Ranong was nice. About 150 km and the road was smooth. Long sweeping turns around the hills made for a good morning. Even though our visas were 60 day visas, they only stamped the moto temp import for 30 days. This meant we had to extend it or leave in 4 days. We were not ready to leave Thailand just yet. Still a lot of beaches to explore. So I went to the Ranong customs office to extend my paperwork. The paperwork was straight forward and relatively easy but it still took nearly 2 hours. Ranong is a boarder crossing with Myanmar. It is a ferry crossing and I'm not sure if vehicles can cross there. Maybe that's why it took longer.. they weren't used to it. We ate lunch and headed south for Khoa Lak. It poured on us some on the way. Tysurfer said to come stay at his hotel. We were pretty surprised when we got there. This place was way way to nice. We felt like we didn't belong here. But after a shower and a swim in the crazy pool we started to settle in just fine.

Customs dude decided to write a novel on the front of the bike.

The pool right outside our room was like a river.. and you could swim to a bar.

April 27, 28 and 29 we melted into the lap of luxury. We lounged on the beach and swam in the waves. We watched movies on a tv bigger then my motorcycle. We drank white wine on the beach while we dined on local seafood on a table made from bamboo. We got spoiled. This place was way to nice for a scumbag like me. But Ty is a cool guy. He is a surfer and a moto rider. He has just purchased a 690 so we discussed everything from tires to tents. Thanks again Ty. I'll probably never have a chance to stay someplace this nice. I know she loved it.

Ty just before his heat in a local surf comp.

Good to see the little ones having fun.

Ty

A swim in the rain.

April 30. Khoa Lak to Phuket. 311 km.
Khoa Lak is only 1 hour north of Phuket but we took an indirect route. Near Khoa Lak there is a National Park called Khoa Sok. There is a huge reservoir there that is quite beautiful. We heard they have floating cabins different places on the lake. We decided to investigate further. At the boat dock we found it would be about $100 for the cabin and at least $60 for a boat ride. The price combined with the idea of leaving my bike a the boat landing made it a no go. We rode on. I was getting tired and hungry in the afternoon so we stopped for coffee. The shop just happened to be owned by a Thai couple who were bikers. They told us we should ride to the Samui bike week in a few days with them. We exchanged contact info and rode to Phuket. Once on the island we rode to where we thought a nice place to stay would be. Phuket is crazy. And not so much in a good way. We didn't find the place we were looking for and just stayed somewhere.

At Hongfa Bar/restaraunt.

May 1. Phuket.
We wanted some seclusion so we went to a different part of the island that was more low key. We found a decent unit next to the beach and had a nice relaxing afternoon. In the evening we watched the sunset with a bottle of wine.

May 2. Phuket to Samui (Samui Bike week). 453 km
We were up early to meet up with our thai friends to ride to Samui. We were on time but nobody else was so we ended up waiting for a few hours. Once everyone got there we were riding in a group of about 11 or 12 bikes. There were some rockets, some Harley baggers, 2 Vrods, a few ER6 Kawis, A few BMWs and Us. As the day went on, people started to ride faster and faster. With my gearing 120 kph is about the fastest I wanted to go so that's what I did. No need to rush. We had dropped back about 1 km from the group and we were coming up on a sweeping left hand turn. The road was 4 lane, 2 in each direction. Some Thai locals were slowing down traffic. I got a sinking feeling. I knew what had happened. I didn't want to believe someone from our group had crashed but it was obvious to us even before we got there. A expat on a BMW 4 cylinder street bike went into the left corner to hot and lost control. He slid into the guard rail and hit pretty hard with this legs. They had put a splint on one leg then started to move him. The left leg was also broke about halfway above the knee. I felt so bad for the dude. The local medics didn't really know how to split his leg and it looked like it was moving a lot. What worried me most is the amount of blood near the femur. If you move broken bones around to much, you can sever these blood vessels and he could die from internal bleeding. We later found he survived the injuries and his family is taking care of him. When we got to the ferry we had to wait about 2 hours because they wouldn't let us on the first ferry. By the time we got to Samui it was dark. We found our hotel, got a decent dinner then went to find all the bikers at the party.

I took these 2 pictures from a friend's FB page.

Waiting for the ferry.

May 3,4 Samui
We moved hotels to stay closer to the party so we could walk there. I don't ride when alcohol is involved and the taxi would break me. Most of the guys were staying at a decent hotel nice and close so we joined them there. They had a pool which was great because it was hot. We decided not to leave on Sunday and stayed an extra night. The party itself was great. But shame on me, I didn't take ANY pictures. Neither did she. There were a lot of sweet custom bikes. In my opinion the best customs were Yami SR400s. I have a soft spot for the Yamaha single and twin. They are just a good looking motor. The huge raked out choppers are still a thing in Thailand. When will this style go away? Of all the custom bikes I've seen on this trip, some of the bikes in Japan were best. But there were a handful of bike here that would have taken home trophies at any bike show, anywhere in the world. It was cool to see. Again, sorry about not taking any pictures. I'm not sure what I was thinking.

May 5. Samui to Khanom
We took a 1:30 ferry to the mainland. There were a few other bikers on the boat that had to head back north to BKK. They turned right and we turned left. We tried to find a nice place on the beach like we had about a week earlier. We couldn't find a place like we had. He beaches were way more dirty. At least we got to watch an amazing lightning show during dinner. It was getting closer and closer.. then the rain and wind hit us. We had to move into the shelter to avoid getting wet. Good times.

May 6. Khanom to Khoa Lanta. 338 km.
Khoa Lanta looked is another island kind of like Phuket.. but there is no airport and you have to take 2 short ferries to get to it. We headed that way. We found bamboo bungalow right on the beach. We planned to relax for a few days.

On a ferry

May 7-11. Khoa Lanta.
We woke up late. We swam in the ocean. We ate seafood almost every meal. We rarely changed out of our swimsuits. Our beach was quit and every night we had a sunset that was better then the night before. It was a good way to end Thailand.

Our not so little friend.

I like when I find beach glass.. but this was kind of ridiculous. It only took me 1 hour to collect all of this.

RoninMoto screwed with this post 05-31-2014 at 07:07 PM Reason: I forgot to add the map! :P
Old 05-30-2014, 08:04 PM   #3308
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Wow. Lucky that he did not die.

Living on Koh Samui, who would think that an S1000RR is an appropriate bike?!?! That bike is mainly a racebike, not something for rural Thailand.
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:53 PM   #3309
flyingdutchman177
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Less then 150 kilo. 50 hp. At least 500 km oil change interval. Wide ratio tranny. The rest is gravy in the setup.

If KTM doesn't want to make a small adventure bike, then make a street legal 450 or 500 that the oil doesn't need to be changed every weekend. Why is it so easy to make a WR250x or a 690R with a long oil change interval, but there is no 450 capable of this? WHAT IS SO EFFING DIFFICULT ABOUT THAT? (DRZ400 does not count as its only 27 hp.. in my opinion)
I know you like changing your oil lots but i hope you meant 5000 km.

For the first time in two years, i am reading your RR as a working stiff spectator. I am in Alaska for two months working on a fishing boat to raise some cash so i can continue my own rtw trip.
I look at your pictures with great envy.
But i have a motorcyxle in Albania and one in Thailand that i need to get back to.
But for now, the salmon are running, a have a positive cash flow in my bank account and i will living vicariously through you my friend.
Ride as long as you can because reality sucks.
Ed
flyingdutchman177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:24 PM   #3310
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen View Post
Wow. Lucky that he did not die.

Living on Koh Samui, who would think that an S1000RR is an appropriate bike?!?! That bike is mainly a racebike, not something for rural Thailand.
Yeah, I am glad he was ok. He lived in Phuket. I see a syndrome of some bikers... when they get in groups they ride like idiots. This isn't everyone, but theres a reason I was at the back of the pack. For someone who only rides on the weekend, passing that truck before that curve might seem like a good idea. Sure I can do it also.. but really whats the point?

Riding in all these different parts of the world has taught me some patience. There is time for aggressive riding and there is time for taking it easy. Having a girl on the back of the bike has been an interesting reminder. Many times I have been frustrated in traffic in a city and she would rub my back or my shoulders and say "take a breath". I hope I can take this lesson with me into other aspects of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
I know you like changing your oil lots but i hope you meant 5000 km.

For the first time in two years, i am reading your RR as a working stiff spectator. I am in Alaska for two months working on a fishing boat to raise some cash so i can continue my own rtw trip.
I look at your pictures with great envy.
But i have a motorcyxle in Albania and one in Thailand that i need to get back to.
But for now, the salmon are running, a have a positive cash flow in my bank account and i will living vicariously through you my friend.
Ride as long as you can because reality sucks.
Ed
Yes. 5000 km. key must have stuck or something. I heard you are fishing in AK. Of all the realities.. thats probably not a bad one
Old 05-30-2014, 09:57 PM   #3311
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Well.. isn't this interesting.

It seems a volcano called Sangeang Api in Indonesia has erupted canceling many flights to Darwin for the next few days.

"Qantas and Virgin Australia have confirmed all their flights to and from the Northern Territory capital of Darwin have been cancelled after Sangeang Api, a volcano off the Indonesian island of Sumbawa, erupted at least three times since Friday."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...-out-of-darwin
Old 05-31-2014, 02:37 AM   #3312
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
Light weight, 6 speed, reliable, tubeless tires, 4 gallon or so tank, integrated crash worthy luggage, 21" front, 18" rear, adjustable height, ease of maintenance things that only time on the road teach.... um what else?
Why not 7 speeds?

I don't know what bike manufacturers are waiting for, ALL bikes
could use an overdrive. I'd take the KTM 690, add the 7th gear,
make it more reliable, drop the power and weight (maybe 10hp and
20lbs), make it a 550-600 thumper. 20% better fuel efficiency please!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:43 AM   #3313
MalayznSenzashn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63

I thought when you make an assumption..

...mom got her masters here...

Back alley electro-plating place.

...these were 3 to an alley in my old 'hood...

...and this is just so quintessentially Thai for me. No problem, we'll just do it this was...

The beach pics are pretty, Noah in the Rain poetic. But these three have officially made me violently home sick.
MalayznSenzashn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:12 AM   #3314
OscarCharlie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Getting better and better... .

Thank you for this superb update, Noah.

Looking forward to the next episode of your journey
OscarCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:23 AM   #3315
twflybum
Prodigal Biker

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarCharlie View Post
Thank you for this superb update, Noah.
+1
Some great pictures Noah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
You are reading that correct America. That is a Chevy with a 2.8L Durramax. WTF.
I read recently that GM was planning on bringing the Colorado/Canyon trucks back to the US in 2015 (not offered in 2014) with a smaller diesel that's been in use in other parts of the world. Looks like you found one..
twflybum is online now   Reply With Quote