Uh...who me?

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Why not 7 speeds?

I don't know what bike manufacturers are waiting for, ALL bikes
could use an overdrive. I'd take the KTM 690, add the 7th gear,
make it more reliable, drop the power and weight (maybe 10hp and
20lbs), make it a 550-600 thumper. 20% better fuel efficiency please!

I guess if we were inclined to think big we'd look to the advances made by the auto industry where sales numbers can support development. I just got a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 3.6L V-6 with 8 speeds, 290hp, variable valve timing and easy to drive and service. This was quite a jump from my last Grand Cherokee with the 4.0L I-6 with 190 hp and bang bang tranny.

Point is, the technology is here, the moto-makers just need to step up and deliver. I think we could see a sub-250 lb, 450cc single or twin with 60 hp that delivers seamless power and requires servicing every 6000 miles (it's OK to put 4 quarts of oil in it!), 7 or even 8 speeds. CCM is on the right track with their frame, they just need to incorporate other 21st Century technology. The reality is that the sales numbers aren't there to support such an effort, but if KTM or BMW decided to invest in the dual sport market which is growing leaps and bounds, we could end up with something revolutionary.
End of rant. Sorry y'all, now back to Noah in the Orient.
'11 WR250R
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:53 AM   #3317
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post

I guess if we were inclined to think big we'd look to the advances made by the auto industry where sales numbers can support development. I just got a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 3.6L V-6 with 8 speeds, 290hp, variable valve timing and easy to drive and service. This was quite a jump from my last Grand Cherokee with the 4.0L I-6 with 190 hp and bang bang tranny.

Point is, the technology is here, the moto-makers just need to step up and deliver. I think we could see a sub-250 lb, 450cc single or twin with 60 hp that delivers seamless power and requires servicing every 6000 miles (it's OK to put 4 quarts of oil in it!), 7 or even 8 speeds. CCM is on the right track with their frame, they just need to incorporate other 21st Century technology. The reality is that the sales numbers aren't there to support such an effort, but if KTM or BMW decided to invest in the dual sport market which is growing leaps and bounds, we could end up with something revolutionary.

Even if I've never been offroad in my life - that's the stuff.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:28 PM   #3318
indykwak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Great updates. Been reading since you started and appreciate the time you spend uploading the pics and telling the story of your trip. Thanks!
Old 05-31-2014, 08:14 PM   #3319
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalayznSenzashn View Post
But these three have officially made me violently home sick.[/COLOR]
Ummm Sorry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twflybum View Post
+1
Some great pictures Noah!

I read recently that GM was planning on bringing the Colorado/Canyon trucks back to the US in 2015 (not offered in 2014) with a smaller diesel that's been in use in other parts of the world. Looks like you found one..
Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post

My father had a 95 Buick road master wagon with a LT1 350 in it. It would cruise at highway speeds and get around 27 mpg. The LS series aluminum v8s are even more amazing.

As for the 450 dirtbike.. The RallyRaid LC450 project is getting 49hp on the dyno. For those of you who have not seen this, its a 690 motor that has been (de)stroked to 450 cc so it is legal for FIM competition. Jenny Morgan recently rode the bike from UK to Greece, competed in the Hellas rally, then rode back to the UK. They never changed the oil. Try doing that with any other 450 out there.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=858442
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:29 PM   #3320
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
As for the 450 dirtbike.. The RallyRaid LC450 project is getting 49hp on the dyno. For those of you who have not seen this, its a 690 motor that has been (de)stroked to 450 cc so it is legal for FIM competition. Jenny Morgan recently rode the bike from UK to Greece, competed in the Hellas rally, then rode back to the UK. They never changed the oil. Try doing that with any other 450 out there.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=858442
That's about 60 at the crank! Bravo!
Now imagine variable valve timing which gives power where and when you want it; direct injection; all built for longevity rather than just explosive speed. Start the design process by having an office type from KTM ride from UK to Siberia with no support. Go to Magadan. Come back. Do it without the roadside mechanical skills of Noah Horak or the riding ability of an Erzberg Rodeo finisher. How would you want the bike to look? Would you still want it to be ten feet tall where only Andre the Giant can flat foot it? Can suspensions provide travel and control without having to move 10 inches? I guess my point in all of this is that the factories are still designing for racing, but I suspect the sporting demographic is rapidly changing to more dual sport and now extreme RTW dual sport. Build to that, KTM!
'11 WR250R
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:35 PM   #3321
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
RTW with Noah on a KTM 690

Never gonna happen. Look at what KTM has built since the 690e debuted. 990, 1190, lots more road bikes, and the 690 has basically just had a small displacement bump and ABS.

The 690e is in the lineup because it can be built on the same chassis as the SMC, with the same engine as the Duke, so KTM gets basically two models on one chassis, and shares the engine between 3 models.

You can get a 450 Dakar replica bike- but you cant get a 690 ADV. What does that say?
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro

gen screwed with this post 05-31-2014 at 09:40 PM Reason: edit
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:05 PM   #3322
flyingdutchman177
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,408
Quote:
Yeah, I am glad he was ok. He lived in Phuket. I see a syndrome of some bikers... when they get in groups they ride like idiots. This isn't everyone, but theres a reason I was at the back of the pack. For someone who only rides on the weekend, passing that truck before that curve might seem like a good idea. Sure I can do it also.. but really whats the point?

Riding in all these different parts of the world has taught me some patience. There is time for aggressive riding and there is time for taking it easy. Having a girl on the back of the bike has been an interesting reminder. Many times I have been frustrated in traffic in a city and she would rub my back or my shoulders and say "take a breath". I hope I can take this lesson with me into other aspects of life.

Yes. 5000 km. key must have stuck or something. I heard you are fishing in AK. Of all the realities.. thats probably not a bad one

It is not the job that sucks, it is my loss of freedom.....doing what i wanted , when i wanted.
Ride and be free Noah.......everyone is watching including me
Have a glass of wine for me and i will try and catch up in a couple of months.
flyingdutchman177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #3323
casperghst42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Why not 7 speeds?

I don't know what bike manufacturers are waiting for, ALL bikes
could use an overdrive. I'd take the KTM 690, add the 7th gear,
make it more reliable, drop the power and weight (maybe 10hp and
20lbs), make it a 550-600 thumper. 20% better fuel efficiency please!
And move the fuel cap somewhere sensible please...
casperghst42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:31 PM   #3324
JHpowderhound
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Noah

Loving your trip. I don't know if you've left Indo yet but I have a good friend that spends his summers surfing on Bali, I'm sure he and his wife would love to hook you up while your there. Let me know and I can get you his info.

Roll on.
Eric
JHpowderhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:58 PM   #3325
hudson6161
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Following. Great story. Great trip.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:40 PM   #3326
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen View Post
You can get a 450 Dakar replica bike- but you cant get a 690 ADV. What does that say?
As they say, the 640 adv didn't sell many bikes. I understand them not wanting to put the effort into developing a 690 adv.. except for the fact that they could have just copied the 690 rally in the design.

The 450 dakar replica is a no-brainer for ktm though. They developed all the tooling to build the bike for Dakar and the Rally teams. So why not pump some more out for the dreamers and privateer teams?

The more and more I think about the 450 motor, I don't understand why they don't make a more travel worthy enduro 450. They could call it an EXC-T or something. For anyone who trail rides on the weekend, uses the dual sport for a commuter, or travels... it would be amazing. Hell, even desert race teams would love to have a motor that is bulletproof like 690 but in a FIM legal package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casperghst42 View Post
And move the fuel cap somewhere sensible please...
Yes. Not the biggest complaint of mine. but still.. yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHpowderhound View Post
Noah

Loving your trip. I don't know if you've left Indo yet but I have a good friend that spends his summers surfing on Bali, I'm sure he and his wife would love to hook you up while your there. Let me know and I can get you his info.

Roll on.
Eric
In Sumatra right now. I get the bike back today. I will be in Bali in a few weeks maybe? I have to ride through Sumatra and Java first. Fire me a PM. I know one person in Bali but its a girl from Ukraine... And the last time I saw her in Georgia.. but my friend did this with an ax to the car she was driving...

Not her car.. some french dude she was "only hanging out with". The kid with the ax was freshly dumped 23 year old with lots of vodka in him. Many of us thought it was hilarious.. but she didn't. So yeah, I probably don't have a place to stay in Bali.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #3327
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
The more and more I think about the 450 motor, I don't understand why they don't make a more travel worthy enduro 450. They could call it an EXC-T or something. For anyone who trail rides on the weekend, uses the dual sport for a commuter, or travels... it would be amazing. Hell, even desert race teams would love to have a motor that is bulletproof like 690 but in a FIM legal package.
I like the idea of an EXC-T and would certainly buy one! I do about 25-30,000 miles on my bike a year; commute weekdays, travel for work/fun, play/race on the weekends and and go a couple big adventures a year. While that may sound like an odd riding schedule for a single bike to a "first world person" that's the way the majority of guys ride over here!

The EXC 450 is a pretty comfy bike with a great transmission on the freeway. (No of course that is not what it was made for and no of course that is not my favorite place to ride - my only point is it's every bit as comfy as dual sports made for commuting such as a KLX250.)

Slightly de stressed, more oil/oil cooler, cush drive hub, real lights, more electricity, strong sub frame... shoot for an average life of 60,000 miles and I'd be happy to pay 1.5X the price of a regular EXC!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:41 PM   #3328
frieda
gone too far

Oddometer: 19
To show another step in the right direction about the 450 discussion...
See here http://www.zweiradcenter-bernhardt.d...bauten,26.html 450 EXC Adventure. Maybe not perfect yet (esp. the engine) but something to think about for KTM!

frieda

P.S. Produced by KTM might be a bit cheaper though than individually build?!?
frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:22 AM   #3329
ramdu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by frieda View Post
To show another step in the right direction about the 450 discussion...
I always loved the dark blue on KTMs.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:33 AM   #3330
Tau Anvil
African by trade

Oddometer: 246
4 days of working .....aagggghhh I mean reading from start to here. Dude respect and great adventure story telling.

I would have used a KLR if I was you......
I need a Safari rear tank for my 2013 Wr450 if anybody has one.
Tau Anvil is offline   Reply With Quote