Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2014, 03:12 AM   #3466
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterC View Post
Doesn't doing it on a KLR count as a nightmare?
Would still be a dream for me!

Hell I'd ride a TU250X there and consider myself lucky.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:32 AM   #3467
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,628
Yeah. Riding is riding. But if you have the choice.. pick something that will put a smile on your face.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:33 AM   #3468
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Yeah. Riding is riding. But if you have the choice.. pick something that will put a smile on your face.
Exactly why I said TU250X, not a KLR!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:49 AM   #3469
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,741
I think they all put smiles on your face, but there's no doubt, some bikes will put on a bigger smile than others.
Keep going Noah, been following since day one.
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #3470
shallowskiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
nice
shallowskiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:54 PM   #3471
Patrol
VALE 46!

Oddometer: 1,364
Late to the party. Supremely awesome RR. What are the GPS coordinates to the hotty hitchiker from page 17???

Any Noah decals or shirts in the works?
Old 07-05-2014, 06:04 PM   #3472
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol View Post
Late to the party. Supremely awesome RR. What are the GPS coordinates to the hotty hitchiker from page 17???

Any Noah decals or shirts in the works?
You must mean this AK girl?

Yeah, I'm not sure I can give out those GPS coords.

Shirts? Decals? That takes effort. I'd rather just ride.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:43 AM   #3473
gperkins
graeme

Oddometer: 48
Looking forward to your travels through Oz. Like Bigfella says, drop down to the Great Ocean rd around about Warrnambool. Try to avoid the weekend, even during the week it can get pretty damn busy.

Oh watch your speed in Australia, especially Victoria, where it's damn near a hanging offence.

Always a bed available once you get to the very south coast of NSW, just PM me

Cheers

Graeme.
gperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:43 AM   #3474
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Sumatra Part 1

May 1. Ariving in Medan
The sun was setting as the plane was landing in Medan. The reflection on the water in the rice patty was really interesting and I wish I could have filmed it. Picture would not have done justice to the patterns of light moving from rice patty to rice patty. I waited for my bag for a long time. And I thought they lost it. Until an official asked me "is this your bag?" I thought.. "No, that's not my bag, the one I bought to day is all black." Apparently I'm an idiot and the cheap Chinese duffle I bought in Malaysia is grey and black. Interesting how your memory changes things. An Indonesian guy started talking to me and said he had a cab. It wan't to much so I had him take me to a hotel. Just so happened to be the hotel he said his band was playing at later. So later that night I met him in the hotel bar. Music was already playing so he and his friend and I got a pitcher. He said it was $35 for a pitcher after he bought it so I chipped in 1/3. I thought this was very expensive for a pitcher so when it was done I said I was going to the bathroom. I went to the bar and ordered another pitcher. The cost was $23 which is till stupid expensive. Bastard. I went back and sat down with 2 guys. He said "oh, you must have gotten a discount." as he reached to pour himself a glass. I told him to get fucked because I don't like being lied to. So I proceeded to drink the whole pitcher in front of them and not share. We had talked about his cab giving me a ride to Belewan but I told him that wasn't going to happen either. He was making excuses about the other pitcher but it didn't really matter. I looked him straight in the eye and told him what I thought of dishonest pieces of shit like himself. I went to bed thinking... is this how everyone in Indonesia is? I guess I have to be more careful. I am happy to say, this was a isolated incident and Indonesian people are quite amazing.

May 2. Medan to Belewan
I found a different taxi to bring me to Belewan and it turned out to be cheaper then he had quoted me. I found the office for the shipping agent and we got started on the paperwork. I jumped on the back of his scooter and we bottomed it out down the road for the afternoon. Going from one customs office to another. I had to pay $100 on this side but the ATM wouldn't give me money.. I asked him if there was hotel in Belewan and he replied "Hotel My House... You stay at my house and pay me in the morning when ATM works." So we went to an internet cafe and I sent some emails to my bank about why I couldn't draw from an ATM. At 8:00 I was able to pull money when my bank in MN opened. At this point it was to late to get my bike from the warehouse so I chilled there for the night. I got my ass kicked in chess 2 times by a toothless local dude. It had been a very long time since I played and these local dudes were good. I think they sit around all day playing chess.

May 3. Belewan to TukTuk. Lake Toba. 262 km.
I was on my bike early and headed back toward Medan. I tried to get on the tollway to go around Medan and they said "no motorbike". I told them.. this isn't a scooter. Its probably faster then most of the cars here. Didn't matter, they weren't letting me through. Even when I tried to pay the same price as a car. So back to the shit traffic. It took a while to get through Medan but it was still shorter then I expected. A bike is always quicker then a car. In short time I was on small 2 lane roads twisting through the hills on the way to the mountains. The roads were a mix of brand spanking new tarmac to 1 lane blocked by tree branches because a culvert caved in. I was just about to drop down into the Lake Toba crater from the south side but I was out of TP so I bought some. I got back on the bike and she wouldn't start. I tried to listen for my fuel pump but I couldn't here anything over the shit music blasting from the cafe I was close to. So I pushed her down the road next to a small store that had a nice slab of concrete to work on. It was my fuel pump not working. Time to tear her down. 20 minutes later I had the pump out and the multimeter on the leads. I had voltage but the pump wasn't spinning. This was not the original but still an OEM pump. It had lasted about 80,000km. I put my spare in and put the bike back together. Not before attracting the attention of some locals. The police shack was next door so I gave him the extra fuel I could not fit in my other 3 tanks. He put it in his Chinese Honda copy 150 moto. I figure pre-bribing the cops in a country like this is a good idea. So after another 1/2 hour of entertaining the little local kids I got back on the road. The ride down into the crater was breath taking. Sumatra is a very beautiful place. I found a place in Tuktuk. I thought I would stay the night and move on in the morning. Easier said then done in a paradise like this.

Getting my bike from the docks. Guy in the nice white shirt is my shipping agent on the Indo side.

Keep an eye out for this stuff...

As good of a place as any to work I guess.

Mechanics assistants.

Dropping through the clouds.

My house on the right.

May 4,5 TukTuk
There is an island in Lake Tobo that takes about 3 hours to ride around. It would probably only take 1.5 hours if the roads were clear of trucks.. and they were better. The town of Tuk Tuk is on a small peninsula off the island. It is a very chill village and very cheap. I had a traditional Batak-house for $7 at the Merlyn Guesthouse. Just down the road you could get an amazing pizza. The cheff is from Europe and has mozzarella cheese shipped in from Italy for the pizza. This same pizza place has an amazing avocado salad. Its a huge avocado (7 inches long) cut in half with the pit removed. The hole from the pit (3 inches long) is filled with tomato, onion, cucumber, basil and olive oil. It was very epic. Lake Tobo is a christian area of Sumatra so finding beer and a local moonshine/palm wine. I'd say its more of a wine then moonshine because its not refined and its is less then %10. Its not like the raki or chacha I had in Albania and Georgia. After 2 days the rain finally stopped enough for my laundry to dry and it was time to keep moving.

Local guys fishing.

Awesome hosts :)

May 6. Tuk Tuk to Sigumbang. 263 km
My GPS maps of Indonesia are sketchy at best. But I knew there was a road the went around the whole island. I never want to backtrack on the road I came in on. The road I was on got smaller and smaller until basically split into a driveway and the lake. I must missed the turn. On the way back I stopped to take a picture and met a bunch of nice school kids going home. They were all smiles and very giggly about me and the bike. The correct road wound its way up to the rim of the island. On the way up I found a wedding party. They wanted me to stay and party with them but I had to keep going. After a few hours I got back to the road that leaves the island. It was more fun climbing then coming down. On a loaded bike with good power, climbing is much better. Easier to pass cars and much more forgiving when braking. At the top of the hill I met a guy from Java on a push bike. He had a few weeks to peddle from the north end of Sumatra to the south. When he said he wasn't going down to the island on Tobo I understood. Would kill a few days on the bike. We ate some food and I kept going. I wanted to take a route to the ocean but again, my GPS maps were limited. I took a wrong turn and found myself on some very small mountain roads. I figured I could keep heading south, south/west and hit the ocean but after about an hour, the road dead-ended in a small village. No wonder everyone was looking at me crazy . At least I got to snap some good photos of the local people... and the scenery was amazing. I backtracked to the last "big" town and went the other way on the paved road. It took me to one of the main Trans-Sumatra roads. I stopped at a cafe and asked which direction had a closer hotel. North. The wrong direction. In town I fueled up and forgot to put my gas cap back on my spare rear tank and when I left, I lost it. I noticed at the hotel. Unloaded my crap and went back to look for it. The rubber gasket was still in the road close to the station but the plastic was no where to be found. I didn't have another spare so I needed this one. I told some local kids I'd give 50,000 RP ($5) to the kid who found it.. and I'd check back in the morning. I had satay from a street cart and went to bed in my shitty smoke smelling hotel room. Did I mention EVERYONE smokes in Indo?

Magically transported to Siberia?

She snapped our photos.

Great roads in a corner.

Small roads..

End of the road.

Such views everywhere.

May 7. Sigumbang to Bukittinggi. 426 km
I went back to the little store where I told the kids I'd give them money if they found my cap. No one I talked to the night before was around so I figured the answer was no. About 5 minutes of searching in the daylight and I found it on the gravel shoulder. It had been run over 1 time, had one crack but still was able to tighten enough to make a seal. Day started with a success. I spend the day riding on the main road and I wanted to make it to the ocean but that wasn't going to happen. In about a 20 km stretch, I saw 3 accidents involving trucks. I didn't see them happen, but I saw the trucks still there. I'm not sure if they don't have any wrecking crews here? Or this shit happens all the time? Probably a combination of both. It was raining for most of the day. Apernetly there was a huge sign for the equator that I rode under but I missed it. It wasn't till later in the day I realized I had passed the equiator an hour earlier or something. I have had many close calls with dogs on this trip, especially in central Asia. Thie was the first time I actually hit a dog. I was in a town so I was going slow when a smaller dog was running on the centerline toward me. I didn't think anything of it so I didn't brake and moved more to the left. At the last second he tried to run across in front of me and he hit the front tire/fork. It spun him around and he ran away quickly. I stopped and tried to see if the dog was alright but he had run off. I felt bad about it but the peopel in the vilage assured me he was ok and ran away. It wasn't a bikg dog and I was going straight so there wasn't a big risk of going down. Still shook me up some. In Bukittinggi I found a place that let me bring my bike inside, had wifi and was cheap. I walked around the town and saw a few outdoor stores with tents, "camelbacks" and sleeping bags. So I made a note of it. I went to be early and was woken up by some fierce itching. My forehead was swollen like half a golf ball above my left eye, my legs and arms were itching. I did not know why. I went back to the bed and pulled back the covers.. nothing. I lifted the pillow and saw 2 huge bedbugs. Like 1/4 inch in size. These little fkers were probably about to lay eggs. I lifted the other pillow and saw 2 more that size... so at least 4 were feasting on me for about 1/2 hour till I woke up. Little bastards. I got another room and moved my shit out as fast as possible. In the new room how am I supposed to sleep?
Step 1. Don't put anything on the bed or floor in case there are bedbugs in this room also. Keep everything in waterproof bags or hanging from hooks. The bathroom is a good place to hang stuff.
Step 2. Take the blankets and sheets off the bed. Inspect EVERYTHING.
Step 3. Take the pillow out of the case and inspect.
Step 4. Inspect the whole mattress and bed frame. We learned earlier these fkers can live in wood.
Step 5. Put everything back together.
Step 6. Sleep in a sleeping bag if you have it.
Step 7. Take some antihistamine for the previous bites.
Step 8. Watch a movie on your laptop until you can sleep.
Step 9. Refuse to pay full price ($15) or at all in the morning.

I hope no one was in this house...

You can't park there dude.

There's a crowd. This one must have just happened.

This lady was scared of my beard at first. Then I let her touch it. And she didn't want to stop touching it. She was 92 and still worked in the rice field. I bought her a coffee and she was glad to let me take her picture.

One way to clean out a coconut. A 220v motor with a large dremel type bit on it.

Another wedding.

Lunch. You take your rice and point at what you want. So much better then trying to order off a menu.

Same problems in every country.

RoninMoto screwed with this post 07-06-2014 at 05:03 AM
Old 07-06-2014, 05:10 AM   #3475
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Talking

Great pics and story as usual. Brings back some memories from the time I spent on Sumatra for work in the late 80's. Waiting to see some of your pictures from around Bandar Lumpang.....if it is on your route
Old 07-06-2014, 05:14 AM   #3476
Cotthem
990Adv

Oddometer: 170
Hey Noah, I have read you'r awsome story.It reads like a book.
But today I saw this picture and god a bit emotional.

My father and mother went there for several times. My father died there 1,5year ago now.

If you can, give my greetings to Kati Schneider. I'm the son of Eric Van der Hoeven (see pic)

Thanks and be save!
Cotthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:18 AM   #3477
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
Great pics and story as usual. Brings back some memories from the time I spent on Sumatra for work in the late 80's. Waiting to see some of your pictures from around Bandar Lumpang.....if it is on your route
Thanks
I'll post that tomorrow. I'm waiting for the photos to upload. Normally I wouldn't split this into 2 parts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotthem View Post
Hey Noah, I have read you'r awsome story.It reads like a book.
But today I saw this picture and god a bit emotional.

My father and mother went there for several times. My father died there 1,5year ago now.

If you can, give my greetings to Kati Schneider. I'm the son of Eric Van der Hoeven (see pic)

Thanks and be save!
Thanks, If you have a facebook account, you can get a hold of her. I'm sure they would love to see that picture. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Merly...6737?ref=br_tf
Old 07-06-2014, 05:48 AM   #3478
Cotthem
990Adv

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Thanks
I'll post that tomorrow. I'm waiting for the photos to upload. Normally I wouldn't split this into 2 parts...

Thanks, If you have a facebook account, you can get a hold of her. I'm sure they would love to see that picture. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Merly...6737?ref=br_tf
Thanks for the link ;-)
Cotthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:53 AM   #3479
Blue Icebreaker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Still following, still an awesome RR!

Did you get inoculated before coming to Indonesia?
As soon as you concern yourself with the 'good' and 'bad' of your fellows, you create an opening in your heart for maliciousness to enter. Testing, competing with, and criticizing others weaken and defeat you. Morihei Ueshiba

Blue Icebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:23 AM   #3480
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Icebreaker View Post
Still following, still an awesome RR!

Did you get inoculated before coming to Indonesia?
I'm going to assume you mean shots/jabs/vaccines?

I had so many before I started the trip. Hep a/b, rabies, typhoid, tetanus and some others that I don't remember.