Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2014, 10:41 AM   #3496
Patrol
VALE 46!

Oddometer: 1,366
I've only caught up as far as Asson, France but I wanted to jump to present day to say thank you for this RR. Just mindblowingly great. For sure the best photography in a RR yet.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:39 PM   #3497
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol View Post
I've only caught up as far as Asson, France but I wanted to jump to present day to say thank you for this RR. Just mindblowingly great. For sure the best photography in a RR yet.
Thanks bud.

I've been meaning to say also... If someone is catching up and has questions about something, even if it was 2 years ago.. feel free to ask... Just don't reply with the whole post worth of pictures

I also try to reply to every PM I get. Cheers.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:29 PM   #3498
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Sumatra Part 2

May 8. Bukittinggi to near Mukomuko. 404 km
I picked up a shit tent, a shit camping pad (about 1/4 inch of foam) and a shit sleeping bag ( 15 degree C) for about $100. I figured it would actually be needed in Sumatra and Java. Or father if I continued to Timor Leste. Indonesians are great at making something that looks like the real thing but performs like crap. I'll get into that later. The main highlight of the day was going to be Mt. Kerinci, The highest peak in Sumatra at 3805 meters. Of course it started to rain in the afternoon and Kerinci was in the clouds so I was not able to get any good pictures of it. Near the base of the mountain there are many tea fields and it is quite beautiful. I also met a Kawasaki Ninja Club. They were all on Ninja 250s but they insisted on lining all the bikes up for pictures. One of the guys literally took the shirt off his back and gave it to me. They were very proud of the slogan "Get The Enjoy". It might be the best free shirt I've gotten in a long time. We could all "Get The Enjoy" more often. I took the next road to the coast. I turned out to be quite a gnarly road over the mountains. I didn't stop to take many pictures because the sun was going down and I was not sure where camping or hotels would be available. I rode for about 30 minutes in the dark. I didn't want to make this a habit.. especially in a country like this.
Indonesian theory of lighting cars, trucks and motos:
-Lights don't matter it doesn't matter if you have noting at all, even at night.
-Colors don't matter. Red in the front or white in the back. Blue, green, and purple.. Good luck figuring out what light you are looking at.
-Brightness doesn't matter. Very common to see a huge truck with 5 watt blinker bulbs in the headlights. Just as common to see a scooter with what seems like 4000 watts worth of rally lights. Don't expect that same scooter to have a tail light though. Especially not a red one.

A road running parallel to a lake and a railroad track. I had flashbacks to the north shore of Baikal while riding this.

Cant see the mountain from behind the clouds.

More tea fields.

Some state border or something.

Thanks to the Jambi Ninja Club for the cool shirt.

May 9. Near Mukomuko to Benkulu. 328 km
I rode into Mukomuko which was a relatively large town for Sumatra. Maybe you could even call it a city. I passed a fuel station on the right before town and kept on riding. I thought for sure there would be another. I was wrong and had to backtrack. At the fuel station there are 5 or 8 attendants standing around and there is no fuel. They are out. I'm not sure why 8 people need to be working if the station doesn't have any gas or diesel... and that's the only thing they sell. I back-backtrack to find a guy with jugs on the side of the road. 12 liters of fuel and he writes down 120,000 Rp. Normally shit fuel is 6,000 Rp per liter, not 10,000. I smile and laugh a little. He knows hes got me, just like he has everyone else in town who can't buy fuel from the station. $1/liter is still better then many countries though. The bike was running a little like poo and I figured it was the airfilter and injector being dirty. Not so bad at the high rpms but it was dying when it was hot at idle. And starting it took opening the throttle some. After stopping at 4 or 5 different small moto shops. I figured at least one of these dealers would have air filter oil. About 20 minutes trying to translate what I need at each shop, no one had any. They must just rock the paper filters or no filter at all? That night I found a can of carb cleaner and I was able to clean out my injector by cycling it with a 9v battery and back pressure from the carb cleaner bottle. It helped a little but didn't quite solve the problem.

Very humid with all the dew evaporating.

Everyone wanted to help. But no one had what I needed.

Each one is basically a $5. The biggest bill they have is 100,000 Rp which is equivalent to about $10. Everyone can be a millionaire in Indonesia.

May 10. Benkulu to Tangjung Jati. 364 km
Along the coast the road was small. Most of the time, the road was twisting in the hills among the Palm plantations. But as I got further south, I got to ride along the coast. I started to realizes why Indonesia is a surfers paradise. The waves looked amazing. I can only imagine how surfers look at waves like this the way I was look at snow covered peaks in the Pamirs and Japan. "I wonder if anyone has ridden that?"...
For lunch I grabbed some fried chicken from a food cart and ate next to the beach at what seemed to be a popular picnic area. The teenage local girls were giggling and smiling. They were to shy to practice their English, so I would hear "hello", "How are you" "I love you" from the group of them. When I would turn toward them they would giggle and turn away like they didn't say anything. Some of the little kids were less shy and came to hangout with me.
In the late afternoon I stopped at a suff spot and had some coffee with some local surfers. They were pretty stoked about taking pictures with me, just like most people in Indo. Then the rain clouds started forming and I figured I should find some shelter for the night. Just down a dirt road was a surfers paradise. I met about 20 chill Australian surfers who were staying at the bungalows and loving the reef break. They all agreed it wouldn't be a good place to learn to surf. Just like backcountry isn't a good place to learn to snowboard. After a few to many Bingtang and some good games of darts I slept good to the sound of the rain.

Many many custom “dirtbikes” made from scooters.

Its no wonder everyone is a smoker. Basically every billboard is a ciggarete add. Some have motorcycles, some have white guys dressed in suits. Some have slogans like “go on, try it” “always smooth” or “enjoy one”

Picnic place.

Overloaded maybe?

Gotta keep an eye out for bad road in your lane, but also the other lane. Cars will look at the road and not who is in front of them, so they swerve to miss holes and end up in your lane. They look surprised if you honk a them.

Totally acceptable way to warn of a blocked lane.

I had to turn around when I saw this. This is a smoldering/burning trash pile. This is a kid playing in the smoke and shit of that trash pile. No local will ever tell him this is not good thing to do.

Indo coffee isn't filtered. The grounds settle at the bottom.

Local surfers.

Storms a comin'!

May 11. Tangjung Jati to Bandar Lampung. 363 km
One more small mountain pass then I was back in heavy traffic. The main trans-Sumatra road is on the east side of the mountains. I'm really glad I stayed on the west coast most of the way. In the evening I met a girl from the UK named Lucia who was piloting a pushbike. We chatted for a bit and exchanged contact info. We wouldn't meet up again till about a week later in Bandung Java. $2.00 street food spicy chicken curry stuff in the hotel while I tried to decipher the news about the upcoming Indo presidential elections.

Hard to get a good pic with a 55mm lense.

The future of motogp?

May 12. Bandar Lampung to East coast of Java. 184 km.

It was a quick 90 km to the ferry to Java. We had to wait for the ferry to unload for about 35 minutes. The first truck in line didn't have enough power to make it up the ramp out of the ferry. So we all had to wait while another truck pulled it out. The crossing itself took maybe an hour. But we waited for 2 hours to dock. Maybe the other ferries had problems with trucks exiting also? This seems to be a common trend with the ferries here. More ferries then docking space. So you load and leave quick, but you wait at the other side to unload. I rode down the coast looking for a place to stay and kept passing places that looked acceptable. Then I rode past a hotel and I caught a glimpse of European woman drinking Bingtang by a pool. Hard brake and u-turn. This is where I'm staying tonight.

Getting close to the ferry.

Hate to be stuck behind this guy on a hill.

I have started leaving my GPS on during ferry rides. It sheds some light on the situation. You can see it motored pretty good about of the way. Then slowed down and pointed a bit south. Then it basically shut down the engines and drifted north for about an hour. Turned around after drifting for an our and slowly motored into the dock.. this took nearly another hour.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:10 AM   #3499
saintfish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
make sure you download an app called Wikicamps for a couple bucks onto your phone while in aus. its user generated and has just about every campsite, overnight stop and caravan park that is around and has comments and pics so you can get a pretty good idea of what you're in for before you get there. after 2 laps of aus (most along the track you have planned as well) it was the best couple of bucks i spent.

and apart from using a general HEMA state paper map, I also downloaded the HEMA maps app, its got every map and every road or 'track' that u'll need, its steep at 150 bucks but was worth it instead of having to stuff around with detailed and expensive paper maps in the rain and wind and the places that i found and went to that i wouldn't have otherwise found.

Hope that helps and theres a bed and a shed (a real messy one with lots of broken and missing tools) in the Barossa Valley just out of Adelaide if you need
saintfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:31 AM   #3500
Patrol
VALE 46!

I'm up to page 114. Just staggeringly good. What do you think of Picassa for your photos?
Old 07-10-2014, 07:34 AM   #3501
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,903
Quote:
I'm up to page 114. Just staggeringly good. What do you think of Picassa for your photos?
It's great if you have google+, you get unlimited upload for 2048x2048px sized pics.
Without a G+ account you're limited to 800x800px for unlimited storage or 1GB otherwise.

Flickr offers 1TB for free now.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:43 AM   #3502
Patrol
VALE 46!

This RR gets better every page. I've caught up as far as Mongolia. I love that Striking Viking was part of your inspiration for this trip. If you haven't PM'd him that info you should. He'd be thrilled and is quick to respond. Classy classy guy.

I'm hoping you're reunited with the Russian cutie in the coming pages. She seems awesome.

Loving this RR. Nothing better than seeing good people happy and kicking ass.

In tribute to this inspirational ride I took my KTM out early this morning on a dangerous, epic trip...to Starbucks. I was feeling radical so I crossed a gravel road along the way. Didn't have to, I could have stayed on the pavement the whole way, but that's how I roll. Danger is my middle name. I'll post some pics later.

Love and respect Noah.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:00 AM   #3503
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
In tribute to this inspirational ride I took my KTM out early this morning on a dangerous, epic trip...to Starbucks. I was feeling radical so I crossed a gravel road along the way. Didn't have to, I could have stayed on the pavement the whole way, but that's how I roll. Danger is my middle name. I'll post some pics later.

Love and respect Noah.
You forgot to mention which tent and sleeping bag you used, you noob!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 07-11-2014, 06:11 AM   #3504
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Oddometer: 763
Quote:
You a funny man, Patrol. This sounds like some of the nonsense I'd write and no one would notice or acknowledge. So for the sake of Nutter Solidarity, you get an official AttaBoy from the side of my mountain high in the wilds of North Georgia where we have lots of gravel roads I can wave at as I drive by.
We should have a banquet.
'88 R100RS
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:39 AM   #3505
colemadad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
That's Nothin'

I once saw a dirt road from the saddle of my Goldwing!
colemadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:34 AM   #3506
moto rrad
ADV n00b

Oddometer: 93
Once again,

this ride report is just stellar. Your writing and phtography has seemed to develop with the report.

Re smoking in indonesia, Noah you might find this Vice docu interesting (I wonder if you got the same impression as they portray?)

' The dangers of smoking are no secret in the U.S., but in Indonesia, the tobacco industry is virtually unregulated. The result? Over two-thirds of all men are smokers, and it is commonplace for children as young as six to take up the habit. Tobacco is a $100 billion industry here, with TV and print ads everywhere '

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkkMhKEfOqw

cheers guys!

moto rrad screwed with this post 07-11-2014 at 08:46 AM
moto rrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:34 AM   #3507
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintfish View Post
make sure you download an app called Wikicamps for a couple bucks onto your phone while in aus.
You are assuming I have a smart phone. My phone is a $15 Vietnamese Motorola. It makes phone calls and send texts. Oh and it has an alarm and it has a torch light. But the best app of all.. a battery that lasts a week! Take that iphone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto rrad View Post
this ride report is just stellar. Your writing and phtography has seemed to develop with the report.

Re smoking in indonesia, Noah you might find this Vice docu interesting (I wonder if you got the same impression as they portray?)

' The dangers of smoking are no secret in the U.S., but in Indonesia, the tobacco industry is virtually unregulated. The result? Over two-thirds of all men are smokers, and it is commonplace for children as young as six to take up the habit. Tobacco is a $100 billion industry here, with TV and print ads everywhere '

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkkMhKEfOqw

cheers guys!
I'll have to watch this one. But another time. Its late here and we are riding tomorrow. You heard me right... BIKE IS THROUGH CUSTOMS AND PASSED QUARANTINE INSPECTION!
Old 07-11-2014, 10:41 AM   #3508
twflybum
Prodigal Biker

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
BIKE IS THROUGH CUSTOMS AND PASSED QUARANTINE INSPECTION!
Congrats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Front page material?

Thanks for the update Noah. Looking forward to your travels down under!
twflybum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:26 PM   #3509
Makwa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebatch View Post
Not in this case ... a discreet email would do me just fine ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post
Given the generous proportions involved and the fact that the picture was released 28 years ago, there may be significant coordinate slippage involved. A "continental drift", so to speak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Mac View Post
That second pic looks like she might be tucking something. Be very very careful.
As I am reading this amazing RR I came across these from Page 107ish.

For those looking for the Russian Rocket Operator; Gents... I found her.

Keep it up Noah! I love reading this. It's giving me some pretty big ideas
Makwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:51 PM   #3510
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemadad View Post
I once saw a dirt road from the saddle of my Goldwing!
Wait.
Was that the time when an insect almost went over the windscreen
and hit your helmet?!