Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2014, 07:50 PM   #3511
tele-steve
ya' mon

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
20 minutes later I had the pump out and the multimeter on the leads. I had voltage but the pump wasn't spinning. This was not the original but still an OEM pump. It had lasted about 80,000km. I put my spare in and put the bike back together.
I love your RR Noah! Been following from the beginning. Your writing, photos, and wit have been wonderful to follow.

Everything you've been through on the trip and all the fixes you've done, I can't help but think that your multimeter is one piece of equipment that is essential for diagnosing problems on a [newer] bikes. It makes me realize I should pull mine out and finally decipher the cryptic looking symbols that look like they came from an episode of Lost.

Of course, if you found time your journey's to write down a 'How to Diagnose Electrical Problems on Motorbikes", in a journal, pamphlet, or back of a napkin, I would pay good money for it!
It is great to hear you made it OZ. Looking forward to the rest of the trip!
tele-steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:54 AM   #3512
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,781
Pulling it out won't help , reading the manual might!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:12 AM   #3513
sophijo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Read the manual!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Pulling it out won't help , reading the manual might!

You gotta be kidding!
sophijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:28 AM   #3514
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,206
I've come to the conclusion that my iPhone is 70% of the reason I get nothing done. I probably still wouldn't travel much, but I know I'd ride more if I had less tech in my life.

Quote:
You are assuming I have a smart phone. My phone is a $15 Vietnamese Motorola. It makes phone calls and send texts. Oh and it has an alarm and it has a torch light. But the best app of all.. a battery that lasts a week! Take that iphone!

ap
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:38 AM   #3515
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter View Post
I've come to the conclusion that my iPhone is 70% of the reason I get nothing done. I probably still wouldn't travel much, but I know I'd ride more if I had less tech in my life.
Android here, but I'd probably agree with this statement
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:30 AM   #3516
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophijo View Post
You gotta be kidding!
Yeah, that's a stupid thing to suggest, my bad.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:32 PM   #3517
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by tele-steve View Post
I love your RR Noah! Been following from the beginning. Your writing, photos, and wit have been wonderful to follow.

Everything you've been through on the trip and all the fixes you've done, I can't help but think that your multimeter is one piece of equipment that is essential for diagnosing problems on a [newer] bikes. It makes me realize I should pull mine out and finally decipher the cryptic looking symbols that look like they came from an episode of Lost.

Of course, if you found time your journey's to write down a 'How to Diagnose Electrical Problems on Motorbikes", in a journal, pamphlet, or back of a napkin, I would pay good money for it!
It is great to hear you made it OZ. Looking forward to the rest of the trip!
I'm thinking of something like this.

Lesson 1. Ohms law and why it matters.
Ω is the "ohm" symbol. It is resistance. It is exactly what it sounds like. It restricts flow of electricity.

Ohms law says V=IR. Voltage = Current x Resistance. If a wire has a resistance of 3 ohms and you hook it to a 12v batter... you would get 4 amps of current. V/R=I. 12v/3ohm = 4 amps.

That's all fine and dandy.. but how do you use this for electrical troubleshooting?

A broken wire will have infinite resistance. Most multimeters will also "beep" if there is a low enough resistance or "contact". You can test from one end of a wire to the other by touching both ends of the wire with the leads. If you hear a "beep" or see a low resistance, the wire is *probably* ok.

A "short" is when a wire is touching "ground". This makes a low resistance path to ground. This will "pop" the fuse. This is due to the high current (higher then the fuse rating). You can test for a short by touching the wire and battery ground with your leads. If you hear a "beep" you need to start searching for the short.

Of course with motorcycles and cars, many times the problems only show them self when the bike is being ridden. So when looking for a problem, move and shake the wire harness to try to find the problem.

When all else fails, bring it over to your nerd friends house with a 6 pack of micro brew as a bribe and make him fix it.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:56 PM   #3518
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Thoughts?

My carnet expires in September. I got it just before I entered Japan last year. It is about $900 to extent the carnet for another year. I'm thinking it might not be worth it to ship into NZ, then out AND pay to extend my carnet.

I'm thinking about finding a cheap bike in NZ to see the country for a few months. I could send my bike on a boat to south America while I do.

The problems: 1. My bike would have to leave Oz by September 9 because that's when the carnet is finished. 2. It would probably definitely beat me to South America so I would have to have someone to ship to to avoid storage fees. 3. I wouldn't be riding my KTM 690 in NZ
Old 07-13-2014, 01:39 AM   #3519
chekamus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Hey Noah, i have a bike for sale here in new zealand if your interested and if you dont decide to bring the ktm here, i bet you will miss `having the ktm to ride around on though!
chekamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:18 AM   #3520
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,542
Quote:
I'm thinking about finding a cheap bike in NZ to see the country for a few months. I could send my bike on a boat to south America while I do.
I don't think you will find something for less than $900 that you will enjoy yourself on for the few months you are in NZ.

I would pay to renew your carnet and enjoy NZ on your 690.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:59 AM   #3521
ShaneBaby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
What Ba said^^^ did you check that link I told you to save? some gnarly good gpx tracks you can just follow at will and fish stay in Doc huts for fuck all. I know you want to be at the Dakar when is that? Id say if ya got more 2 months time to see NZ which I think youd do pretty easily if there is any beerfest kiwi girls around. Id extend.
If not my CR125 needs a run in Auckland to get your dirt fix. I know of a GN250 you maybe able to borrow lol no shit...
ShaneBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:43 AM   #3522
SirBikeALot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Dakar?
Are you telling us you want to participate??
SirBikeALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:55 PM   #3523
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Problems solved.. I think. I can do a temp import into NZ without a carnet

I have to pay a cash deposit of the import tax. Once I am exiting the country, I'll be able to get this back. This looks like it will be the ticket. I just have to make sure I get my bike out of Aus prior to my carnet expiring.

I'm not racing in Dakar. As much as we all like to think we are racers.. I have done a few rallies.. and I know I'm not. I can concentrate hard for about 5 minutes then my mind starts to wander. Not what you want when you are flat out across the desert. Maybe it will be different now but this is how it was a few years ago. The key is to keep going and finish. Advice for anyone getting into rallying. Don't try to go fast Just try to finish. I've knew a guy who had the 2nd place overall in a A2 VW Golf in the High Desert Rally in California. He drifted wide through the last corner through the timing then rolled the car. Even though they had their timing, they could not complete the rally because the car would not make it back to the final check point.

I was able to collect some hardware even though I crashed a few times. I don't care if there were only 5 people with points for the year
Old 07-13-2014, 03:16 PM   #3524
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,339
Been enjoying the updates from Asia, all the best for Oz!

Quote:
Problems solved.. I think. I can do a temp import into NZ without a carnet
Yep, just pay a 15% deposit for the GST. You'll miss a lot of Oz, but you won't run out of things to see & do in NZ. Like Shane says, lots of neat spots to camp for cheap or free, many cool trails, good fishing & you might even catch a bit of snow if you get down south early.

Come & stay when you are around Rotorua & if you have any major maintenance coming up on the bike you are welcome to use my garage.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:30 PM   #3525
Cammo78
Dogsbody.

Oddometer: 10
ozland and kiwiland, cuz.

Hey Noah,
Have you got any plans to do any of the big trips while your in Australia? Like the Canning Stock Route, Gunbarrel Highway, Simpson Desert, the Border Track or anything like that? All names worthy of researching, and a crime not to. You could ride around here for months and still have heaps left to do. I know there's a lot left on my list.... but I might be stuck in Australia for a while so no bad thing.

I lived in NZ about six months of the year for the last eight or nine years. For me, even being Australian...., its like one big country town. Some of the friendliest peeps you will meet anywhere in the world, and definitely the friendliest traffic cops. The bonus for travel by road is everything is about two hours away, where I live everything is 5 hours away. local shops 130Kms. hope you get the logistics sorted mate.

rideon.
Cammo78 is offline   Reply With Quote