Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #541
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
Really??? That would be awesome if it were true. Keeping fingers crossed!!

JG
I got a call also. I was in the Garda station and its false. It seems everyone wants it to be retrieved so badly. I believe they have found a few other bikes from the area though. It makes me happy to know that since my situation has gotten so much attention locally other people will get their bikes back.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #542
ohauitirod
Dream Rider

Oddometer: 37
Man my heart goes out to you , to me its like someone f...king my wife.
Hope it turns up soon
ohauitirod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #543
The Blue Kazoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Sorry this happened you in my city.

As an advrider subscriber on this site and in Dublin I'm embarrassed this has happened you in the city I grew up in and a city I like so much.
Dublin is not without it's crime, but crime against person and property is as opportunistic as anywhere. A diamond of a ktm like yours only secured with a disc look is gold dust to a thief in an urban setting, still no excuse in an idealistic world.

I work in the commuter belt outside Dublin now and am often still in the city. In my job as a paramedic my colleauges and i have the opportunity to go into these areas for work reasons. I promise you I will keep my eyes peeled for any sign of your bike over the next few days and in particular over the next weeks as the hype dies down and the thiefs let their guard drop and possibly start to use the bike or move it around.

I'll post an update on my Facebook page also with bike details and I'll pass the word around the guys at work to keep an eye open for it too.
Hope it turns up soon man.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=morocco+rocks
The Blue Kazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #544
phx690
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I use a xena lock that is pretty loud when it goes off.
phx690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #545
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,091
Don't know how much it'll help you now & getting a lock just as tuff may be difficult. But a couple decades ago I bought a specially hardened steel chain at a quality hardware store & recall the sales person struggling & swearing like a drunken sailor trying to cut it with a biggass set of bolt cutters. Another experienced salesperson was laughing & after a while brought over a grinder with a cutting disk & it still took a while to cut through. Might be worth looking into, all I can remember is it was gold colored unlike any of their other chains there. Wish I still had it, expensive as hell, but unmatched for strength. Unfortunately it was in the back of my truck when it was stolen.

Which is a prime reason why I hate thieves with a passion.

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #546
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,350
Www.almax-security-chains.co.uk
Old 08-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #547
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,102
I will be checking back often.. I hope your bike gets found !

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Just Paul screwed with this post 08-11-2012 at 04:41 PM
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #548
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocuL View Post
Those look good. Their videos make the two I posted look bad...
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:42 AM   #549
-KATO-
'690R'

Oddometer: 859
Thumb Good onya mate..

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Kazoo View Post
As an advrider subscriber on this site and in Dublin I'm embarrassed this has happened you in the city I grew up in and a city I like so much.
Dublin is not without it's crime, but crime against person and property is as opportunistic as anywhere. A diamond of a ktm like yours only secured with a disc look is gold dust to a thief in an urban setting, still no excuse in an idealistic world.

I work in the commuter belt outside Dublin now and am often still in the city. In my job as a paramedic my colleauges and i have the opportunity to go into these areas for work reasons. I promise you I will keep my eyes peeled for any sign of your bike over the next few days and in particular over the next weeks as the hype dies down and the thiefs let their guard drop and possibly start to use the bike or move it around.

I'll post an update on my Facebook page also with bike details and I'll pass the word around the guys at work to keep an eye open for it too.
Hope it turns up soon man.
Champion..

Here's hoping it turns up eh..

Quote:
Originally Posted by james928
Great looking machine, enjoy your new shiny KTM. I tried catching the old dingo on one during the sunny coast ride. It was a great bike, the only thing faster was KATO on his well worn and amazingly sideways in 4th 690.

-KATO- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:31 AM   #550
Frontwheel21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Hi Noah,

Sorry to hear what happened to you. Hope you'll find your bike.

I have the Abus Granit Extreme Plus 59 (Click video) which is excellent and makes me sleeping pretty comfortable. I am not sure, maybe the Almax is even better cause with 19mm, the bolt-clipper has such a big angle that not enough pressure can be exerted to break it apart.

Hope you will continue your trip.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:55 AM   #551
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
Zens XX14. Alarmed disc lock with a 14mm pin
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:26 AM   #552
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,350

I use the squire and almax chain. Happy with it and will take time to get through. Though the concrete anchor would be a hassle to carry ;-)
Old 08-12-2012, 05:07 AM   #553
Timpo
NORTH WALES TRF.

Oddometer: 2,108
WTF has this thread turned into..... hey, a lock fest!
If some fucker wants your bike, it's going, fullstop. It just takes them a second or two longer, but that's all.... seconds!
Best form of defence is to keep the iron out of sight, if monkey can't see, monkey won't want!
It is a sad fact of life now, a scrote can ruin your dream in a squeeze of a cropper. They are bastards!!!

Noah, my PM offer still stands if you need assistance in UK. I guess you have a gang of the Irish lads offering help over there....... let's hope the 690 is able to be repaired back up to your standards.

Timpo.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:48 AM   #554
ini88
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Noah, this is some sad news. I hope you get your bike back soon because I loved reading your story.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #555
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,692
Ireland

Well. Since I have been in Ireland I have not posted any pictures. Today I got a very nice personalized tour of the city, some government buildings and a museum from a local guy who actually was one of the guys who spotted the 690 being flogged. This was the firs time I have actually taken my camera out of the case since receiving my bike and getting it through customs. So now I am feeling pretty good about live. So here are the past few days:

Thursday Aug 9.
Land in Dublin. Get my bags. Go to Servisair to get documents for Customs. Go to customs and get documents stamped for Servisair. Wait for an hour for the Servisair warehouse people to bring the crate containing the 690 out.
Put all the luggage on the 690 and get ride of the $10 shatty rolling luggage purchased in Toronto to carry everything. I was able to keep the Giantloop on the bike with my tools, spare parts, jacket, pants, boots and helmet strapped to the bike or in the bag. This helped a lot. Traveling with out a bike SUCKS with all the moto gear.

Getting all packed up.

So then I traveled into Dublin the whole time concentrating on driving on the "right" err.. Left side of the road. I checked into a hostel and unloaded my bike. at this point I could hardly see strait I needed to go to bed so bad. After a couple hour nap the moto was missing. So for the past 3 days I have been receiving emails, messages and phone calls from people all over Dublin, Ireland and the world. I felt so alone the first day but now I feel like the whole country is behind me. I have been offered bikes to ride, bikes to buy, tours by car, places to stay, coffee, food, shop space, vans and money. I am wondering when the woman will show up.
I walked around a fair bit by myself but I have been feeling kinda shitty. A combination of the jetlag an circumstance no doubt.

This guy was a street artist. He did amazing work. I wish I had a picture of the paining that was already done.

Obviously I am finding good food. I have to keep my "shape". They look at me funny when I order "black coffee"

Here are some pictures of today.

This is the "spire". Its tall enough to warrant a airplane beacon.

This is where the Pope talked to a million people in the 70s. Not so interesting but the view from there was great.

This is where the American Ambassador lives. I'll be phoning ahead next time so I can stay here. It probably has secure parking

Irish Whitehouse

This is an old army barracks that is now a museum.

Lots of interesting guns. This one must have been super accurate.

I might have to borrow this if I don't get Katy back soon.

This is from a B29 from WWII

Guns from the rebellion in 1916. Most of them came from Germany.

This is the Gun-runner boat that brought most of the guns in. Apparently she was fast.

I learned a lot today. Like Ireland invaded Canada. Really Canada?

And the Irish military liked to wear pajamas.

"Get out of bed.. time to fight!" This guy was bare feet and all.

Very cool navigation device.

Dueling pistols. The original Duel-sport?

Early coin mint.

Lots of silver stuff.

I'll be going here soon I think. It is true what they say. The Guinness does taste better in Ireland.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote