Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 01:12 AM   #781
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leminkainen View Post
Noah,

What made you decide a 690 and how much do you LOVE it?

Lem
There is no other bike like it and I love it a lot. There is nothing it cant do. It might not do motorway very well, but its still light enough to tackle some pretty tight offroad bits. Plus, when I tip it over (and that happens often) I don't break stuff and I can pick it up my self.

In stock form it is not thirsty. It just sips on the fuel. I am currently switching from an open Unifilter to the stock box so I can get my mileage back. The "new" 690 has a richer map to cope with the air flow and although the power is amazing, I need the economy. 20% reduction in fuel mileage adds up with the kind of miles I am putting on.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:33 AM   #782
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,539
That is good to know I just put a uni on my bike and have not checkes the milage.
Thanks for for taking us along on your trip.
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:15 AM   #783
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosecreek View Post
That is good to know I just put a uni on my bike and have not checkes the milage.
Thanks for for taking us along on your trip.
The uni in the airbox is very close to stock. not much change. I have a uni connected to the throttle body and the stock air box removed with a very thirsty map. You shouldn't see a problem with your mileage if you retain the stock airbox/snorkel
Old 09-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #784
ac72
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakbiker View Post
Good pics Noah, glad the UK was enjoyable and as you probably realised theres a whole load more to see if you ever come back

You know what, I think he might well be back... :)
ac72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #785
rwavaktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
RTW with Noah

He's a Smart guy I am sure he will!
00 KTM 640
09 HD RKING
rwavaktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #786
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac72 View Post

You know what, I think he might well be back... :)
I love craftsman(women) that are carrying on old traditions in this day and age. That picture reminds me of Mark. One of the last remaining coopers worldwide producing wood casks for beer. Here he is with one of his creations at Marstons Brewery in Burton on Trent from our UK bike trip Summer 2010. So cool.

And the unions where that cask is destined for

Sorry for mucking up your thread Noah, but thought I'd share!
Old 09-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #787
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Sorry for mucking up your thread Noah, but thought I'd share!
No bother!

I loved the cask beer in the UK. Interesting to see how its made. Now I wish I would have toured a brewery there. GRRR.. guess I'll have to go back sometime.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:47 PM   #788
ericGSsti
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Sure you never even got to the Guiness Brewery here man. Sure if your ever back that would creat a lasting memory. You might even swear your never drinking again the next day.

Onwards.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:04 AM   #789
anja und holger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Hi Roninmoto
nice trip so far . If you come around Siegen and you're in need of a bed, a beer and a breakfast just let me know. I reckon the bike is doing quite well so there won't be a need for some parts (if yes the KTM dealer is just around the corner)
All the best
Holger
Old 09-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #790
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
Hey Noah, did you find so where to place the two stickers on the new KTM?
Yes. Yes I did. After I got drenched in Scotland, I thought the stickers were ruined. They dried out and went on nicely.

I will let this be a teaser for the swiss alps.

The scenery in France was nice also

I will try to do an update in the next few days. I spent today putting the stock airbox back on the moto. I had to move the fuel filter like I had done on the old bike. I remapped her with the Akro/stock airbox map on map 3, RallyRaid (full power hold on to your butts) Map on 2 and... well no one really ever uses map 1.

RoninMoto screwed with this post 09-23-2012 at 01:45 AM
Old 09-22-2012, 12:59 PM   #791
D.T.
Difficult but useful

Oddometer: 11,902
Thumb

Wow! Tofte, MN way up on da nort shore!

I'm here down in the Twin Cities.

Wow, what a fun adventure you are on! Thanks for sharing. Maybe see ya in a few years...
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #792
NoobIAm
Far, far from the Garden.

Oddometer: 2,554
Wow… what a trip!! Glad to see that things are working out after the theft.

Keep safe!

NoobIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:10 AM   #793
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Scenary not bad at all.....not a blacksmith as well is she

More fun being upright
kwakbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #794
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Belgium, France and Switzerland

September 14 Rushden, UK to Alveringem, Belgium 370km and the EuroTunnel
I had to stop at Martin and Donna's house to get Martin's passport. I volunteered to take it to Paris to bring it to the Moritainia embassy. We had some coffee and I was on the road again by noon. I sopped in a nearby town to get a big "fook off lock and chain" as the Irish would call it. Motorway around London and about 6:30 I made it to the EuroTunnel. There were some other guys on bikes in the tunnel with me and we had a good chat. It takes about 20 minutes and 80 pounds to cross under the channel with a moto on the train. When I got to France, my GPS maps of France were not working correctly and they had holes in them. I went east into Belgium and found a hotel in a small little town. The local bar had some amazing people and a pretty good party. The Belguim people kept appologizing for thier english and I had to keep reminind them that it was way better then any of my lanuages.

September 15 Alveringem, Belgium to Auberville (Normandie). 439 km
Ludwig let me store the moto in his garage over night and his mother owns the hotel I stayed at so I thought he was a great choice to sign Belgium. I had a quick stop at the a near by town to see some of the last remaining WW1 trenches. Then I continued on, back into France. I took a combination of motorway and small roads. Mostly navigating blind becaus the GPS was still not working and the map of France I had was not detailed enough. I found a pay campsite near the normandie coast and slept as much as possible.

Ludwig and his mother.

Fishing Belgium style.

WW1 trenches near Diksmuide.

Love those french buildings.

A slice of home in France.

September 16 Normandie to Poissy (almost Paris). 326 km
Breakfast of cous cous, left over pastry from Belgium and coffee before starting toward the normandie landing beaches. I find it quite interesitng that there are houses build right on the beaches and battle feilds where so many people died. There are still very many reminders of the normandie landing so it seems like it would be hard to forget. I found the engineering for the harbor very interesting. Churchil had the idea to build a harbor because Hitler would destroy a harbor before he gave it up. I am not sure how they kept it safe for so long and it didn't get bombed. I took motorway to Poissy (15k west of Paris) because I knew there was a hostel there that was 21 euro a night. Plus, it was on an island in the Siene river so I thought the bike would be safe. Turns out they were full when I got there so I had to hotel it for a night.

A German Turret from WW2. It was completely shielded from a water attack but could fire on the beach or nearby streets.

Nice french girl filling my camelback.

Remains of the "floating harbor" near Arromanches France

The breakwall was floated from the UK in sections the sunk by opening valves to make the wall.

Not the best picture.. but you get the idea.

Old radio equipment.

Crazy weird "dance" on the tv near Paris. I don't understand whats going on.

September 17 Poissy and Paris
I dropped all my stuff off in the Hostel and took a train into Paris to go to the embassy. I don't speak french, they didn't speak english. With my shitty spanish and the help of John Mitchenson's french, we were able to get the passport sorted. I just have to return the next day at 2:00. Much of the afternoon I walked around Paris doing the tourist thing. I cought a few small fish in the Siene that night but nothing major. Beers and bed.

Lots of graffiti in Paris.

One of the best views is from train 6.

Smaller then a trash can?

Jack is everywhere.

I don't think they make a blanket like this for the 690. haha hopefully not.

The hostel.

The Seine

September 18 Poissy and Paris
Instead of taking the train this time I decided to ride the moto into paris. The crazy ladies at the Hostel were drinking wine and wiskey at 10:00 when I finaly made it down stairs. Its very hard to decline alcohol when it is offered by a beautiful spanish or eastern european girl. But, I was on a mission. The ride into Paris took me through some long tunnels and by the end of the tunnel you feel like you will passout. In a car, you probably don't notice the lack of oxigen but on a bike, its like breathing into a bag for a few mintues. I went to the embassy and got the stamped passport and sent it back to the UK. Mission accoplished. Back at the hostel I was told if I help cook for the 30 or so German highschool kids, I could stay that night for free. That sounds like a deal to me. I even got some fishing in that evening and cought a pretty nice White Bream (i think). It was about 2 pounds, it hit topwater and fought like a bass. I threw it back because i'm not sure what kind of crap is in the water that close to Paris. We had a good night of beers with the people at the hostel.

I threw him back. I think he was a White Bream

September 19 Poissy to Monsauche in the Avallon Forest. 361 km
Bitter sweet about leaving this place. This is the best and worste part about travel. You meet amazing people but you have to leave at some point. I found a KTM dealer on google and put it in my (now fixed) GPS. I needed a DID xring chain for a spare and some chain lube. By the time I got to the dealer, it was 12:15 and the place was closed for lunch. From 12 to 2. Every moto shop I stopped by was closed form 12 till 2. Onward. I camped near a lake in the Avallon forest after a dinner of sausage, zukini, french bread, cheese and beer. It got colder that night so I slept amazing.

Was tough leaving.

Really? WTF.

Part of dinner.

Beer with a cork?

Lots of fish activity but not enough time to set up camp and fish.. :(

September 20 Avallon Forest, France to Pleujouse Switzerland. 253 km
Breakfast of sausage and zukini and coffee. The ride toward Switzerland was nice. Rolling hills of forest and farm fields. Avoided the motorway for most of it. I stayed at my friend Andrea's house who you may remeber from earlier in the trip. She was one of the Swiss girls who I met in Alaska who were touring in an F350 with a camper. To bed earlier because there is a long day "tomorrow".

rolling hills in eastern France.

September 21 Pleujouse Switzerland to Rüfenach Switzerland Via the Swiss alps. 388 km
On the road by 9:00. The mist over hills in northern Switzerland is quite beautiful. I realize later that some of it is smogg and some of it is from the woodsmoke. By 11:00 I can see mountians and by 1:00 I am climing the first pass. I can not count the number of switchbacks, tunnels and bridges I rode. Some roads are tunnel, bridge, tunnel, bridge, tunnel, bridge.. It is quite crazy. The view from Furka pass was very worth it. Lots of bikes and neet old cars out. Once I got back down I took motorway up north of Zurich. I had to be at Andrea's parents house by 7 for dinner. The dinner was the Swiss equivelent of Korean Bbq. There is a hotplate/fryer thing in the middle of the table and you have all sorts of raw meat to cook on it. There are trayes underneat for melting cheese for the potatos, bread, veggies ect. I fully enjoyed it.

This part if Switzerland has more cows then people.

No one was home.. Would have like to see the ford in the background close up.

There is a road down there some where...

Time for a haircut maybe.

Lots of bikes and old cars out.

Old Jag?

Furka Pass.

My GPX in Google earth..

Sausage, brown bread, mustard and coffee for lunch.

The glacier in the upper right corner. It used to go all the way into the valley. This is why the road hugs the left side of the valley (next pic)

Only thing that would have been better... Motard rims and tires

On the north side of the pass.

Red edition. Tastes like cranberries. I have not tried the blue or silver addition yet.

Andrea and her father Urs.

The family. They let me stay for a few nights. Use their garage to work on my bike and they fed me. They even sent a package to the UK for me and wouldn't let me pay them for the shipping costs.

I'm in Germany now. Heading north. It was raining hard this morning so I didn't travel. Up early tomorrow though. Until next time
Old 09-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #795
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Nice update Noah, those alpine passes are great, you planning on doing stelvio?

More fun being upright
kwakbiker is offline   Reply With Quote