More fun being upright
kwakbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #797
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,532
Belgium, France and Switzerland

September 14 Rushden, UK to Alveringem, Belgium 370km and the EuroTunnel
I had to stop at Martin and Donna's house to get Martin's passport. I volunteered to take it to Paris to bring it to the Moritainia embassy. We had some coffee and I was on the road again by noon. I sopped in a nearby town to get a big "fook off lock and chain" as the Irish would call it. Motorway around London and about 6:30 I made it to the EuroTunnel. There were some other guys on bikes in the tunnel with me and we had a good chat. It takes about 20 minutes and 80 pounds to cross under the channel with a moto on the train. When I got to France, my GPS maps of France were not working correctly and they had holes in them. I went east into Belgium and found a hotel in a small little town. The local bar had some amazing people and a pretty good party. The Belguim people kept appologizing for thier english and I had to keep reminind them that it was way better then any of my lanuages.

September 15 Alveringem, Belgium to Auberville (Normandie). 439 km
Ludwig let me store the moto in his garage over night and his mother owns the hotel I stayed at so I thought he was a great choice to sign Belgium. I had a quick stop at the a near by town to see some of the last remaining WW1 trenches. Then I continued on, back into France. I took a combination of motorway and small roads. Mostly navigating blind becaus the GPS was still not working and the map of France I had was not detailed enough. I found a pay campsite near the normandie coast and slept as much as possible.

Ludwig and his mother.

Fishing Belgium style.

WW1 trenches near Diksmuide.

Love those french buildings.

A slice of home in France.

September 16 Normandie to Poissy (almost Paris). 326 km
Breakfast of cous cous, left over pastry from Belgium and coffee before starting toward the normandie landing beaches. I find it quite interesitng that there are houses build right on the beaches and battle feilds where so many people died. There are still very many reminders of the normandie landing so it seems like it would be hard to forget. I found the engineering for the harbor very interesting. Churchil had the idea to build a harbor because Hitler would destroy a harbor before he gave it up. I am not sure how they kept it safe for so long and it didn't get bombed. I took motorway to Poissy (15k west of Paris) because I knew there was a hostel there that was 21 euro a night. Plus, it was on an island in the Siene river so I thought the bike would be safe. Turns out they were full when I got there so I had to hotel it for a night.

A German Turret from WW2. It was completely shielded from a water attack but could fire on the beach or nearby streets.

Nice french girl filling my camelback.

Remains of the "floating harbor" near Arromanches France

The breakwall was floated from the UK in sections the sunk by opening valves to make the wall.

Not the best picture.. but you get the idea.

Old radio equipment.

Crazy weird "dance" on the tv near Paris. I don't understand whats going on.

September 17 Poissy and Paris
I dropped all my stuff off in the Hostel and took a train into Paris to go to the embassy. I don't speak french, they didn't speak english. With my shitty spanish and the help of John Mitchenson's french, we were able to get the passport sorted. I just have to return the next day at 2:00. Much of the afternoon I walked around Paris doing the tourist thing. I cought a few small fish in the Siene that night but nothing major. Beers and bed.

Lots of graffiti in Paris.

One of the best views is from train 6.

Smaller then a trash can?

Jack is everywhere.

I don't think they make a blanket like this for the 690. haha hopefully not.

The hostel.

The Seine

September 18 Poissy and Paris
Instead of taking the train this time I decided to ride the moto into paris. The crazy ladies at the Hostel were drinking wine and wiskey at 10:00 when I finaly made it down stairs. Its very hard to decline alcohol when it is offered by a beautiful spanish or eastern european girl. But, I was on a mission. The ride into Paris took me through some long tunnels and by the end of the tunnel you feel like you will passout. In a car, you probably don't notice the lack of oxigen but on a bike, its like breathing into a bag for a few mintues. I went to the embassy and got the stamped passport and sent it back to the UK. Mission accoplished. Back at the hostel I was told if I help cook for the 30 or so German highschool kids, I could stay that night for free. That sounds like a deal to me. I even got some fishing in that evening and cought a pretty nice White Bream (i think). It was about 2 pounds, it hit topwater and fought like a bass. I threw it back because i'm not sure what kind of crap is in the water that close to Paris. We had a good night of beers with the people at the hostel.

I threw him back. I think he was a White Bream

September 19 Poissy to Monsauche in the Avallon Forest. 361 km
Bitter sweet about leaving this place. This is the best and worste part about travel. You meet amazing people but you have to leave at some point. I found a KTM dealer on google and put it in my (now fixed) GPS. I needed a DID xring chain for a spare and some chain lube. By the time I got to the dealer, it was 12:15 and the place was closed for lunch. From 12 to 2. Every moto shop I stopped by was closed form 12 till 2. Onward. I camped near a lake in the Avallon forest after a dinner of sausage, zukini, french bread, cheese and beer. It got colder that night so I slept amazing.

Was tough leaving.

Really? WTF.

Part of dinner.

Beer with a cork?

Lots of fish activity but not enough time to set up camp and fish.. :(

September 20 Avallon Forest, France to Pleujouse Switzerland. 253 km
Breakfast of sausage and zukini and coffee. The ride toward Switzerland was nice. Rolling hills of forest and farm fields. Avoided the motorway for most of it. I stayed at my friend Andrea's house who you may remeber from earlier in the trip. She was one of the Swiss girls who I met in Alaska who were touring in an F350 with a camper. To bed earlier because there is a long day "tomorrow".

rolling hills in eastern France.

September 21 Pleujouse Switzerland to Rüfenach Switzerland Via the Swiss alps. 388 km
On the road by 9:00. The mist over hills in northern Switzerland is quite beautiful. I realize later that some of it is smogg and some of it is from the woodsmoke. By 11:00 I can see mountians and by 1:00 I am climing the first pass. I can not count the number of switchbacks, tunnels and bridges I rode. Some roads are tunnel, bridge, tunnel, bridge, tunnel, bridge.. It is quite crazy. The view from Furka pass was very worth it. Lots of bikes and neet old cars out. Once I got back down I took motorway up north of Zurich. I had to be at Andrea's parents house by 7 for dinner. The dinner was the Swiss equivelent of Korean Bbq. There is a hotplate/fryer thing in the middle of the table and you have all sorts of raw meat to cook on it. There are trayes underneat for melting cheese for the potatos, bread, veggies ect. I fully enjoyed it.

This part if Switzerland has more cows then people.

No one was home.. Would have like to see the ford in the background close up.

There is a road down there some where...

Time for a haircut maybe.

Lots of bikes and old cars out.

Old Jag?

Furka Pass.

My GPX in Google earth..

Sausage, brown bread, mustard and coffee for lunch.

The glacier in the upper right corner. It used to go all the way into the valley. This is why the road hugs the left side of the valley (next pic)

Only thing that would have been better... Motard rims and tires

On the north side of the pass.

Red edition. Tastes like cranberries. I have not tried the blue or silver addition yet.

Andrea and her father Urs.

The family. They let me stay for a few nights. Use their garage to work on my bike and they fed me. They even sent a package to the UK for me and wouldn't let me pay them for the shipping costs.

I'm in Germany now. Heading north. It was raining hard this morning so I didn't travel. Up early tomorrow though. Until next time
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
Open-Exporers----->A collection of travel blogs
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #798
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
Nice update Noah, those alpine passes are great, you planning on doing stelvio?

More fun being upright
kwakbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:23 AM   #799
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,411
Yes, thanks for the new pics and report!
Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #800
NoobIAm
Far, far from the Garden.

Oddometer: 2,554
Hey Noah, those long poles those guys were using in Belgium (oops)…. did they have reels? Or were they like a modern cane pole? They seemed a bit over-the-top in the photo, but there's probably something I'm not getting.

And the blacksmith in Scotland… son, you need to revisit that land.

NoobIAm screwed with this post 09-24-2012 at 07:30 PM Reason: Changed France to Belgium
NoobIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #801
J-Dub
Combat Commuter

Oddometer: 239
Noah, I'm loving this! Keep it coming.
1965 Triumph TR-6 S/R
J-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #802
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
Noah,
SO glad your bike was found....

And, now that you are moving onward....thanks for the pics ....

Furkan amazing road:

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #803
dunefreak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
I'm loving the photos and stories!
Old 09-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #804
ktmissouri
Racer turned Rider

Oddometer: 27
Noah,

I am another just following along. I love your RR and the pictures are awesome. Keep showing the fish. I would love to fly fish around the world.

Just FYI, the reason that the Germans did not bomb the harbor was because the Luftwaffe was basically destroyed by that time. This was summer of 1944. The Allied Air Force had been bombing the Germans for 3 years. They had systematically destroyed the war making infrastructure of Germany and reduced the Luftwaffe to a shell of it's former might. The Germans lost 10 Million people because of that madman and his hinchmen.

All the best.
11 DR 650 - Long range bike
HHR
ktmissouri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #805
BenThere
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Love this RR. Finally subscribing...
BenThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #806
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

Oddometer: 1,167
Killer photos N~
c-zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #807
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmissouri View Post
Just FYI, the reason that the Germans did not bomb the harbor was because the Luftwaffe was basically destroyed by that time. This was summer of 1944. The Allied Air Force had been bombing the Germans for 3 years. They had systematically destroyed the war making infrastructure of Germany and reduced the Luftwaffe to a shell of it's former might. The Germans lost 10 Million people because of that madman and his hinchmen.
I love the feedback. Thank you all for following. It keeps me wanting to post more when I know people are reading it...

Cheers!
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
Open-Exporers----->A collection of travel blogs
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #808
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
I love the feedback. Thank you all for following. It keeps me wanting to post more when I know people are reading it...

Cheers!
Reading, following, and desperately waiting for more. Good stuff, keep it coming.
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #809
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,663
+1

Keep those pics coming......
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #810
dunefreak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post

Cheers!
I follow this ride report, I follow you on facebook and I follow your blog! I love watching your awesome adventure. You are an inspiration to the rest of us who can only dream to do a ride like this. Fantastic photography too.