Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 05:04 AM   #1471
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by el' hefe View Post
Still reading, glad to see you are still riding; motorcycle or snowboard, it is all good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrout View Post
Great report dude, I've been following you on Facebook but have just now caught up on the real ride report here. I'm super jealous of your KTM and glad to see you're hitting the road again. If you find yourself in North Carolina give me a shout. Cold beers await.
Thanks guys. It is *somewhat* good to be back on the road. Azerbaijan is a royal PITA.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:18 AM   #1472
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

May 1. 585 km. Tbilisi Georgia to Baku Azerbaijan.

I started the day waking up at 7:00 in the morning I had a quick breakfast of leftovers from the feast we had the night before. I also had some Kona coffee my sister sent from her coffee farm. A real treat. By 8:30 I was on the road and by 11:15 I was at the border crossing between Georgia and Azerbaijan. There was a long line of cars but people waved me to the front. About 45 minutes and 30 GEL ($20) later, I was heading into Azerbaijan.

The traffic in Az is just like Georgia. People driving fast and passing whenever they feel they can. "Feel they can" means they think the oncoming traffic will move over for them. I had to ride dirt on the shoulder many times because of this. My plan was to get to the Uzbek embassy by close so I could give them my passport for Visa. After the first time getting pulled over by the Az police, I soon realized that my bike was a magnet. In Azerbaijan, if you drive the speed limit, you will be passed by EVERYTHING. So it seems safer to go with the flow of traffic. This is fine if you have Az plates on your car or bike. The police let you go by. If you are American on a 3 day transit visa, they will F##k with you. You can't rely on traffic to slow down, and I think half the speed sings are missing. The speed also changes about once ever km. The speed cameras will take a picture of you and you will get pulled over at the next checkpoint. It was very ironic when one of the photos had a BMW 5 feet off my rear tire with AZ plates. I kept pointing at that car saying "where is he? Why didn't you pull him over? " Each time I got pulled over they demanded 500 euro so I would sit and argue with them. I ended up paying about $600 in bribes to keep going. This happened to be all my emergency money. F##kers. I snapped a few candid pictures when I first got pulled over but one of the police saw me and made me delete them. They also wanted to rev my bike. I thought why not, it might help them to let me go. They rev it 2 time soft the hold it wide open and bounce it off the rev limiter. This happened with a gas station employee and a border guard also. Not sure what is wrong with them but I had to hit their hand off the throttle.

The fun did not stop there. When it was just getting dark, about 100 km from Baku, my bike died and I coasted to a halt. The FI light was flashing. 3 long, 7 short. "Ignition Coil Fault". Turns out my low voltage + wire broke and this was the problem. I watched the sun set, ate a melted white KitKat bar and tore the bike apart by headlamp light on the side of the highway. 45 minutes later she was purring and back together. I got to Baku around 10:30 at night and finally found a hotel with a garage around 11:00. The hotel only cost $160/night.

At the restaurant I met some good guys.

Fading light.

Problem found.

This guy helped me find a hotel with parking that wasn't $500 a night. So I let him sign my bike.

Do I look spent and maybe a little pissed off at the day?

Baku is like a mini Dubai. Lots of lights and crazy architect. The first thing I notice were 3 buildings with thousands of lights that play animations. The "flame towers" sometimes have fire but when I first saw them, they had a guy waving a flag. Next I went through a tunnel that had colored lights that were changing as I went through. I through I had eaten some crazy mushrooms when I ate a kababi a few hours earlier. I found the hotel and went to bed.

"flame tower"

May 2 and 3 Baku.
The 2nd I woke up early and had some breakfast. I got ahold of the Uzbek embassy and they said I could come by at 4. Now to find the ferry terminal. Some of the only information I could find is here
The Baku port website is shit. Click on the "information center" link. It is a blank page. Just about as helpful as the people are.

When trying to find the ticket office, I met 4 guys from the Netherlands on Bullet 500 Enfields. They bought them in Nepal, rode them to NL and now they are on their way back. They were headed to Turkmenistan but they will be in Uzbek around the same time I will. (hopefully).
The place we found was the wrong place so I went back to another port and found the ticket office. There is an older Russian lady that doesn't speak much english and seems like she gets pissed off very easy. Or she is pissed off all day already. She explained to me that the ship to Aktau is not leaving today and I should come back tomorrow. So I came back today.. guess what.. its not leaving today either. I have to go back tomorrow. AZ only gives you 3 days with the bike in the country so now Katriana is sitting in the "secure" customs parking lot at the ferry port because today was my 3rd day. Now that I don't need to worry about a hotel with a parking garage, I can find a hostel and save some money. I just hope this boat will leave before the 8th of May because that is when my visa will expire and I really don't want to go through the trouble of extending it... if I even can.

Notice the clogs?

So last night I went with my passport to get the Uzbek visa and they said I had to make a bank transfer not pay cash. I wasn't able to find the bank until after 5 so I couldn't do a transfer last night. This morning I did the transfer, picked up my Passport with Uzbek visa and finally found the customs office to drop off my moto. I thought the best thing to do now was drink some Azerbaijan beer and update my report. I am going to be so glad to get to Kazakhstan. Whenever that will be.

Yes. I am drinking beer from a plastic bottle in a wine glass.

Tomorrow I will move into a hostel at 16 AZN a Night so I can try to recoup some of the money I have lost/spent in Azerbaijan.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:32 AM   #1473
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,751
Not a good first/2nd day on the road.
May it be the worst it gets!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #1474
LethPhaos
brb

Oddometer: 522
sounds like it can only get better from here :)
LethPhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #1475
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,064
Finaly back on the road, bummer about those scammers
Old 05-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #1476
stamp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
your next mod mate some clogs do klim make them
stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #1477
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamp View Post
your next mod mate some clogs do klim make them
haha. maybe.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #1478
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Shit start...stay positive.........make yourself feel better by taking a shit in the customs lady desk drawer

More fun being upright
kwakbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #1479
Leminkainen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
good to see you back on the road

Stay safe brother!

Lem
Leminkainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #1480
MeinMotorrad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 955
At first I thought "Great. He's back on the road" Sort of like the MotoGP season starting again. Lots of stuff to look at and follow. But Jesus, what a way to start the new ride. Keep positive and get the hell out of there. No chances to camp instead of paying those crazy hotel prices?
MeinMotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #1481
KLRmonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Glad you're back on the road - the snow had to end some time!

Now I've got reading material again, thanks. Stay safe and get those
bags dirty the first chance you get. Peace.
KLRmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:33 AM   #1482
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

Oddometer: 1,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakbiker View Post
shit start...stay positive.........make yourself feel better by taking a shit in the customs lady desk drawer

+1
MOTO GUZZI STELVIO NTX---VICTORY KINGPIN TOUR
c-zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #1483
tommymerle
advwanabee

Oddometer: 332
Noah,
You need a new farkle, maybe an iphone ap that renders your moto invisible to crooked police. Or a little printer that makes local moto plates. I'll get to work on that.
Don't let the bastards get you down.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:23 AM   #1484
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-zulu View Post
+1
Thanks for all the support guys. This place is a nightmare. I've been going to the ticket place every day and they won't sell me a ticket because there "isn't a boat leaving today" Today I saw a backpacker waiting and I asked where he was going.. He said Aktau. WTF! Really? So I try again to get a ticket. "we are full".

I can't wait to get to Kazak.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #1485
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,440
keep it up, boss!... don't let the 's get you down.... that crooked cop thing really pizzezz me... traffic court here ain't much different....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote