User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2014, 04:51 PM   #1
studad OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 744
Four States, 2 Days, HD Dyna

I had good intentions in high school. Sometimes I didn't get my work done. Mea culpa.

I had an alumni board meeting at my old high school. I thought it would be fun to take some pictures and share my trip. Well, it didn't really work out like that. My dog ate it? My Latin teacher would have seen this coming...

Started strong. Loaded bike pic in the driveway? Check.

studad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:14 PM   #2
studad OP
Studly Adventurer

The gear consist of: two days' clothes, race car sheets (who has normal twin sheets AND young boys?), a towel, air compressor, and a few tools. It all fit well. No top bags, no shit strapped to the seat. I like it.

I just have one ram ball, so the GPS, a garmin Nuevo 50, has a timeshare arrangement with my cup holder. It's not like I don't know the way, I've been making this drive since 95.

Here we go!
Old 06-22-2014, 05:43 PM   #3
studad OP
Studly Adventurer

I made it about a mile from home when I stopped to chat for just a sec with a fellow from Ohio on one of the new water boxer GS's. He was headed over to Crane, MO for the MOA rallye.

The ride wasn't bad. I swear, the most fun you can have on four lane is US-60 just west of Van Buren, MO.

Oh, first stop was only about 40 miles out. Twin Pines Conservation Center.

Great place. Worth a stop. I wanted to share some maps I had located with one of the conservation guys there. Trying to preserve old place names on the Jacks Fork River.

Hit a little rain in Charleston, MO... Nothing too noteworthy for the first 300 miles or so.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:09 PM   #4
studad OP
Studly Adventurer

Ok, doing pretty good now. One stop, one pic, right on.

This is when I drop the ball. I didn't see or do anything for 300 miles. I rode along. Taking it all in. The Ozarks turn to the flatlands at Crowleys Ridge. The corn is tall. The beans are low. Wickliff stinks. Bunch of Effin Harley's doing five under on two lane, speeding up in the passing sections to make sure they keep everybody behind them. Do that one cut through the neighborhood in Wickliff and get around them all.. Those fuckers.

I cruised 75-90 on I-24. The FLD did great. That's pretty much all under 3k RPM so it's pretty sedate at that rate.

All is well, and the next pic I get is this beautiful thang:

God I love this stuff. Can't get it in MO.

Murfreesboro, TN is still full of a really weird mix of folks. I was happy to get back on the road.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:53 PM   #5
studad OP
Studly Adventurer

I make it to Bell Buckle around 2, which was just about right. I had time to settle into the dorm, take a shower, and give myself a walking tour of campus.

Meetings, dinner, late night pool, sleep, meetings, lunch, goodbyes, back on the road at about 1:30. Just shy of 24 hours in town. Caught up with old friends, made a new one, had a delicious prime rib. Success.

It was about 90F Saturday. Maybe a little more on I-24. Construction cones. HOT.

It took 2 hours to get the first 40 miles on the interstate. Geeze. Then a thunderstorm pops up and I get 40 miles of heavy rain to cool off!

Old 06-22-2014, 07:09 PM   #6
studad OP
Studly Adventurer

New York! NYKY, that is.

Yeah, you see how I kinda didn't take enough pics of cool stuff.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:24 PM   #7
studad OP
Studly Adventurer

There was almost no traffic, so I stopped on the bridge over the Mississippi. Great evening!

More cruising... Things you won't see, but I'm telling you, it was great: Sunset over Poplar Bluff, Fireworks over Van Burem, and the small groups of deer on the shoulder in Shannon County.

I made it home around 10 PM. Tired and hungry, as I should be.

SWAG!
Old 06-22-2014, 07:27 PM   #8
studad OP
Studly Adventurer

That's it. My B/C student day tripping report.

Mr. Laglar would have said in his thick Hungarian accent, "Stuart, your grades would be better if you would leave the pretty girls alone."

Thanks for riding along.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:18 PM   #9
Titlerider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Nice change of pace

Thanks for the RR. Nothing wrong with one that is short and sweet and to the point.
Titlerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:11 AM   #10
boogerdp
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Good road report. I was probably one of the wierd people you are talking about that live in Murfreesboro
boogerdp is offline   Reply With Quote