User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2014, 02:54 PM   #1
AutoXfreak OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Exploring the back yard Switzerland Trail Boulder, CO

I had a few hours free this morning and I wanted to explore the northern third of the Switzerland Trail just west of Boulder, CO. I have always done the southern third of the trail, but then noticed the trail continued and I was missing 2/3rds of the trail. So I ventured off to see what trouble I could find.

This was on the road up to the trail, this is where the 4 mile canyon fire was a few years ago. The homes up here are starting to be rebuilt and the trees are starting to come back. It's a good reminder of proper fire controls in the woods.

The last section I have never been on is from Gold Hill Road, north towards the peak to peak highway. The trail had very little traffic and was smooth. With the cooler temps and more rain than usual it was really green.

I was riding a along and came across a succession of 4 very large water hazards. I was alone and this trail didn't seem very well tracked so I had a moment to contemplate calling is a day. But what's the adventure in that! So I blazed through the first and it was not a problem I continued through the rest and was laughing with glee in my helmet. I continued riding until I came upon this Goliath.

I walked up the hill and knew this was the only way to reach my end goal of hitting the end of the trail. There was a fork to the right but it was posted as a dead end. So I thought to myself there bust be a way around. I wend down the dead end trail and it came within view of the road and no further. I had to turn around and head back. I wasn't prepared to climb the Goliath hill today. I have been defeated, however I will be back with a fellow rider to complete this. It was a great way to spend this wonderful day in my Colorado Back Yard.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:00 AM   #2
Asatrur
Newbie KLR adv rider

Oddometer: 1,236
I have ridden the Swiz dozens on times alone and have never seen that goliath climb. Perhaps you lost the real swiz. Can you possibly explain where that climb is?
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...Op8LhphYfeBJ9I
Asatrur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:21 AM   #3
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
Once you get to the top of that hill, you'll wonder why it turned you back the first time.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:17 PM   #4
sanluissound
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Talking Switzerland Trail

I love the Switzerland Trail! Like you said - "In our backyard"

The big hill is on the southern side of the trail, north west of Gold Hill Road by about two miles. I've ridden up it a ways on my WRR - I would have explored further but a buddy on his KLR pig was waiting at the bottom.

Yes, past the dead end sign you can almost get to the highway again. It gets very rocky (large, sharp rocks) near the end. There's an old car up the hill on the south side.

From the Sugarloaf Mountain approach you can go due west on what is called the South Switzerland Trail, there are a handful of side trails some of which are open to motorcycles - they'd be a bit more technical. When you hit Hwy 72, cross over and follow the dirt road. It eventually dumps out further south on 72 and it's worth it for the views of the valley and peaks. It was also part of the original RR bed.

I've found a few other sections of the Switzerland Trail but may have been on private property… need to get back out and track the whole thing.

sanluissound.com
sanluissound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:27 PM   #5
sanluissound
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Talking Switzerland Trail

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5165768.pdf

I think I'm going to go up this week - would like to connect the dots on a few of the trails I've yet to run.

sanluissound.com
sanluissound is offline   Reply With Quote