me? what?

Oddometer: 10,082
nice trips!!!
Old 10-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #242
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,299
2013 Barber Vintage Festival trip...

So after last years Barber Vintage Festival, we decided to do it again!

Last year it was DavidQ, Knightwork, and myself. This year we added DQ's brother "RedKnight" and Kingsized. As we were planning this trip, everyone had different schedules and times, so it ended up that DQ and I would depart Thursday morning from Brandon, MS and meet RedKnight in Laurel, MS (not exactly a straight shot to B'ham but we wanted to take back roads, hit some gravel, etc.

So DQ and I met up Thursday morning at 7Am for breakfast at the waffle house. By 7:30 we headed south to meet RedKnight in Laurel. it was very foggy leaving my house in the dark and even after leaving Waffle House, it was still very foggy...

After a bit of 2 lane highways, we catch RK waiting for us at I-59 and hwy 84
DQ with the planned route on his GPS (KTM 990) and then RK on a KLR, and me following on the Tiger.

Just as we made the Alabama line...

Approaching the Tombigbee River near Coffeeville.

We stopped at a little store for a break...
backwoodsKLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #243
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 5,127

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #244
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

Soon after we get moving again, I see DQ put on his left signal and I look at the GPS to see where he is headed...

As we turn onto a nice red clay dirt road, the KLR sputters and dies. DQ was already out of sight, so I sit and watch RK try to get it going. It shows signs of flooding. He can hold it open and get it started, but if he lets go, it dies. No idle. DQ soon u-turns and comes back to check on us. Eventually it cranks up and we keep going.

DQ is one turn ahead of us and as we come around the corner, RK and I see the scene everyone dreads... bike and rider down. DQ is one of the toughest people I know, but he is obviously in pain! We get stopped and run to his aid. he says his left leg is hurting. Knee and ankle. He finally tells his brother to get the boot off so we can see if anything is broken.

RK pokes and prods and it looks like knee took a stinger but the ankle has been broken before and DQ thinks it may be again.

Here are shots of the scene...

No obvious bumps, ruts, rocks, sand or anything else to cause the KTM to slide out and low side... Foot peg dug in

We put his boot back on and help him onto the bike.

He rides on, in pain. he gets a bit ahead of us as we get back on pavement. We come to a 4 way stop near Thomasville and see no sign of him. We follow the rules and continue straight. We soon merge back into the main highway through Thomasville, just north of town and see no sign. RK pulls over and we check phones. DQ was in enough pain, he took the right at the 4-way and was at the Hardee's on Thomasville. Said it hurt too bad to ride on and had called Knighwork to come trailer him home. RK and I backtrack to the Hardees and find the AC is out. DQ is propped up in a booth. Some other riders headed for Barber stop by and DQ tells us to leave him there waiting on a ride and finish out trip. We get him food and beverage at the table and after waiting for a bit with him, reluctantly ride on...

We later get this picture from DQ when he got home:

Doc says foot is "crushed" will know more in Monday after more tests and scans!
Old 10-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #245
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

Since DQ has the route in his GPS and we ave no way to transfer it to mine (different models, can't just swap units), we have to wing it. I pull out my phone and plot a random course using points I know. We head north to Demopolis, AL where I used to spend a good bit of time on the river. I head for the old new Orleans Grill at Demopolis Yacht Basin where I used to eat and watch the river traffic, but it appeared closed.

In fact the whole yacht basin looked kind of empty..

So we backtrack through town and grab lunch at Mr. G's Italian Place. Another of my local favorites!

RK and I weave our way up backroads until we hit traffic south of B'ham. 5:00PM traffic was worse than I thought out here in the Burbs! We finally pull into our hotel on 280 around 5:30PM and get checked into our rooms.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #246
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

RK and I get our rooms settled, then walk over to Superior Grill for supper.
Friday morning we get up and get ready for a day of walking around Barber, partake of the house breakfast in the motel office and head to Barber via the backroads. We get there early enough that we drive right up to the museum (RK had never been there) and get parked.

RK and I do the museum tour, including the downstairs that is open Festival weekend to check out their shop, restoration area, CNC machines, etc..

After the museum we get parked over in the Ace Corner and head for the Swap Meet and Fan Zone sections... And the Triumph Tent!

One of the bikes from the Portland to dakar / Raiden files video:

We have to take in the Wall of Death...

DQ's route had us stopping at Dreamland in Tuscaloosa on the way over, but the route changes after his "gettoff" changed that, but I still managed to get RedKNight some Dreamland at Barber!

Ran into Doug and saw his side car rig from the TAT trip...

Found a few KV75's like the one I'm trying to restore...
Old 10-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #247
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,082
ouch! speed recovery to DQ

more Barber pics please - missed out this year
Old 10-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #248
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

We went out to sit on the rocks and watch some racing... A fellow walks up on crutches and sits next to us. I take a pic and send it to DQ saying "See? You could have still made it!" (I know, I know... that wasn't nice of me..)

Some trial laps going on...

Had to do the photo op at the gate...

Old 10-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #249
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

We take a long detour down hwy 25 and then back up to 280 and set outside our rooms waiting on Knightwork and Kingsized to arrive from MS...

Soon... we see something riding up out of the sunset...

A couple of BMW GSA's!

We decide to return to Superior Grill and help the late arrivals wash down the road dust... I mean, it is in walking distance and we don't have to gear up to go get food and can stumble back to the room!
Old 10-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #250
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

Later that night, after supper, we are sitting outside our rooms and the infamous nanohiccup arrives from Mobile to join our little soiree!

We grab breakfast at the hotel Saturday morning and head back to Barber. The lines are a little longer, but I lead Knightwork, Kingsized and Nano to the museum (more noobs) and RedKnight heads off to find the trials riders off in the woods...

Little stunt show...

We paid extra for the Ace corner this year, but do to a wet grass surface and a domino bike fall, they quit letting more bikes in. Appears they over sold it.. Kind of sux!!! So we had to go find empty spaces to park out around the perimeter road. So our group got split up. The BMW crew headed of to the tram stop where the MOA riders groups was supposed to gather and Nano parked near them and hiked back to find us. I get parked right outside Ace and get a call from RK so he rides back down and parks by me. Nano RK and I walk into Ace and grab some lunch and watch some racing, stunts, demo laps, etc...

Nano, RK and I take a break in the shade and then decide to head for the Vintage Crosscountry racing... RK had already scouted it out and said us ADV type riders should be able to ride right up to it at the back of the parking area... But nano's bike is up the hill by the BMW guys... What's a man to do?

We ride to the back of the parking lot and park in a bug concrete drain section and step of the bikes right at the start line... The starting grid starts lining up as soon as we get there...

We watch them send out each row in a time release and then we soon hike down to watch the action in the woods...

Old 10-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #251
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

We had a great place to watch as there was a down hill with a hump, then a sharp right. Several slid past, missed it all together, or had to lay 'er down...

They cam up a hill out of the woods, took a right down the tree line, crossed the berm running down the hill and then did the down hill I mentioned above... Some got air here...

Old 10-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #252
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

Note the old man on the moped that is crashing the party... He charged in behind this rider, then slid right past the sharp right and went on down the hill... Then he turned (after bottoming out a couple of times) and headed up the hill back towards parking...

Video of Start of Cross Country coming soon...
Old 10-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #253
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

We eventually get the whole gang back together and head over to the FanZone and see the Trials Demo...

We then walked over to the Globe of Death or whatever they call it...

They started with one bike, then two bikes...

Then they added Ms Arias with her two brothers...

All three bikes riding around at once...

Then they added one of the brother's wife in the middle just standing there and all three bikes going around the globe at the same time...

This is Ms Arias (sp?) that rode in the globe with her two brothers and her sister in law standing there and everyone survived!!!
Old 10-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #254
Knightwork
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
DAMN ---GOOD REPORT BW

AS USUAL

'09 R1200GSA (Frau Brueller)
Knightwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #255
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

Nano checks out the metal sign he wants to hang on his Weestrom...

We soon mosey back to the ridge of rocks where there is a nice breeze blowing as we watch the last few track races...

Some side car action...

We are enjoying the shade and breeze in the rocks and ask a stranger sitting nearby to take out pic... L to R
RedKnight, Knightwork, Kingsized, Nanohiccup, backwoodsklr

We asked him if he'd take one more so we could send our love to DavidQ... He said he wouldn't take this personally and returned the salute...

We are soon headed back to the hotel as the day comes to a close...

I'll give you 3 guesses where we went for supper and relaxing beverages, and the first 2 guesses don't count!!!

backwoodsKLR screwed with this post 10-13-2013 at 08:19 PM