Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2014, 04:13 PM   #286
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,199
Another trip COMPLETED!!!! 1,558+/- miles

2014 Eureka Springs Hillbilly Dualsport Tour

Departed Brandon, MS with DavidQ on Wednesday morning. DQ on his KTM 990 Adventure and me on y Tiger Triumph 9800XC.

You never know what you will come upon running across the Delta...

DQ riding on

We make it to Yazoo City and DQ is falling asleep. Too much breakfast, i guess? Quick break and stretch...

backwoodsKLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:22 PM   #287
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

More Delta ridin'

School's Out for...EVER!

MS River from the bridge

DQ on the bridge
Old 04-06-2014, 04:26 PM   #288
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

We roll up Ark 8 then 9 then some other number... When I set up this route, I didn't pre-plan gas stops. Next thing you know we both have fuel lights on. Luckily , DQ has his Roto-Pak and it has fuel in it!!!

Quick road side splash and go and we are back moving the last few miles to a station. A little drizzle starts, but nothing serious. We make a lunch stop at a Messican Joint in Fordyce, AR.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:35 PM   #289
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

We are riding in a minor sprinkle now and then when I near a NF access road and we decide to get off the pavement for a while...

Ends up going up a mountain and down the other side with several small water crossings... fun in the rain!

Blurry wet picture of DQ and a water crossing...

We finally come down to where my route says to cross this:

DQ, after recent injury and surgery, could not get his waterproof boots on, so we decide to seek a route around.

We are soon randomly scanning GPS to pick routes out and we both also have fuel lights coming on again. So we take route that is shortest to fuel...
Old 04-06-2014, 04:43 PM   #290
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

We made it to Rover, AR for gas...

It's getting late and we still have a ways to Dover / Long Pool where we planned to camp for the night so we ride on...

We stop for supper in a little cafe in Dover where we had eaten on a previous trip... While checking the weather on our phones, we find out it is forecast to be bad. We debated setting up camp versus getting a room, etc. DQ suggests that we can push on up Hwy 7 and go on to Eureka Springs in another 90 miles or so. Couple at next table over hears and warns us that there is bad fog up the passes. We decide to make a run for it. So we head up Scenic 7 as darkness falls and hit some pretty thick fog in places. But soon arrive in EQ and find out motel!
Old 04-06-2014, 06:32 PM   #291
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

So Thursday, we get up and meet some other riders there for the Hillbilly... We went across the street for breakfast and met a fellow on a WR250R who was mostly a local. Lived a ways over towards Branson, but knew local roads. So we make a plan to follow him around for the day. Weather is looking iffy... like rain after noon. But in the morning it is beautiful. Back at the motel while gearing up we pick up a couple of guys (a KLR and a XR650).

We meat up in front of the Arkansas Adventure Rider store.

(That's our two new riding buddies in the back.)

Here is DQ ready to roll and the owner of Arkansas Adventure Rider in the background (I think he was Larry?)

So we head out down the hill and through old town Eureka Springs

They were hanging up the Welcome Banner and rolling out the red carpet for us Adventure Riders... or something like that...

(It was "Diversity Weekend") :ymca

I hate that this moving shot was blurry... This was some sort of car/train vehicle..

Old 04-06-2014, 06:34 PM   #292
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

Soon we were on out of town...

Here's the KLR and DR650's bringing up the rear:

DQ up right behind (I think his name was Mike?) on the WR2520

Where were we? Oh, yeah... BEAVER
Old 04-06-2014, 06:37 PM   #293
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

We were lead down to a road that was the train bed of the line running into Eureka Springs...

Winter was rough on the road in places...

Old 04-06-2014, 06:39 PM   #294
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

DQ getting a pic of the rock outcropping

Notice the sky is looking darker...
Old 04-06-2014, 06:49 PM   #295
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

We went up a fun hill climb from the old rail bed road to a NF road that ran the ridge, then out on a paved road seen above and looped back into the NF... Our guide stopped and pointed to an ATV trail going down the hill and DQ and I dove in!!!

Are you enjoying this DQ???

We wind down, and down, and down the ATV trail... until it ends

Once at the bottom, we stop and look around and hear thunder in the distance... A light sprinkle soon starts and we realize getting back up those hills will be rough with water added!!!

No one can get traction

Loose golf ball sized rocks, slick black dirt/mud, and leaves piled up... Just where you want to be on a 500LB + bike!!!

We get everyone turned around and help DQ up a hill, then fight the Tiger up to the next level. I slide a few times and end up working up a sweat. We start shedding layers. We take turns one little climb at a time. The KLR and the DR650 have good knobbies and get out to the top without too much trouble. DQ has a worn rear and has to work a little momentum to get up the climbs. The WR250 has 50/50 tires and I have a 50/50 rear so neither of us has much traction. The rain continues and actually feels good as hot as we got picking up bikes. But makes the trail keep deteriorating!
The WR slips down at this transition and I stop to help.

We scout out 2 options. One cross country through leaves and rocks and one up mud and rocks... DQ had momentum and got on up ahead. Finally I help WR250 get a start up the hill. I get beat down and can't get the Tiger up the hill. DQ walks back down to us but by the time he gets to me his foot is hurting him. So he says eh will get my Tiger out, but in return he gets to ride it back to his bike... I agree and off he goes...

As I push DQ on the Tiger up the hill, I get splattered...

backwoodsKLR screwed with this post 04-06-2014 at 07:05 PM
Old 04-06-2014, 07:05 PM   #296
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 4,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
So Thursday, we get up and meet some other riders there for the Hillbilly... We went across the street for breakfast and met a fellow on a WR250R who was mostly a local. Lived a ways over towards Branson, but knew local roads. So we make a plan to follow him around for the day. Weather is looking iffy... like rain after noon. But in the morning it is beautiful. Back at the motel while gearing up we pick up a couple of guys (a KLR and a XR650).

We meat up in front of the Arkansas Adventure Rider store.

(That's our two new riding buddies in the back.)

Here is DQ ready to roll and the owner of Arkansas Adventure Rider in the background (I think he was Larry?)

& here's his bike

I stopped in one time & my bike tire was getting close to being done, he had a Kendra that matched my front tire. As i was asking him about it he kept shaking his head & telling me he usually kept those around for klr's

I finally gave up & headed on my way.

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:29 AM   #297
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by red bud View Post
I finally gave up & headed on my way.
He is an interesting fellow. What's up Red Bud?
Old 04-07-2014, 05:40 AM   #298
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

So when we finally made it out of the ATV trail, Mike led us out to fuel and then a nice curvy paved ride up through some Missouri territory and back into ES for a late lunch of some good burgers...

Oh, and a side note to this story... Both DQ and I ordered new rear tires for this trip, but shipping was delayed 1 day and they arrived on Thursday and we left on Wednesday. But DQ was smart and called in the calvary... Trailblazer990, Stewardd, and DirtroadsnMS were trailering up their "small bikes" and he got them to pick up his tire and bring it to us. (Thanks guys!) I ended up going to the Kickstand and getting a new Shinko to throw on for the trip and really could have used a knobby getting out of that canyon ATV trail!!!

So DQ and I are waiting for the 3 Amigos to arrive with his tire, but fat boys get hungry, so we ride up the road a few blocks to a Mexican Place. As soon as we get in the door, the storm hits. The 3 Amigos come straight there and have supper with us. We wait for the worst to blow over and head back to the motel. it was a bit chilly since DQ and I didn't bring full gear to go 3 blocks, but it was a short cold & drippy ride! We decide to wait and change DQ's tire in the morning...
Old 04-07-2014, 05:54 AM   #299
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

Tire changed and plans made! The 3 Amigos are going to follow DQ and I on a route I had from Eureka Springs down to Oark for lunch. I had run this same route in the Jeep a few weeks ago with my daughter and didn't remember many water crossings. As we head out, I forgot my route was set Oark to ES, so it is sending us in circles. Another group passes us as we are turning around to find the correct road and get the GPS orientated. Finally we get headed the right way and on track...

The 3 Amigos and DQ like to run at a pretty spirited clip, but the slowest bike, heaviest bike, and least knobby rear tire are the only one with the route! So I try to keep moving as best I can!

It's at this first stop that I realize it is 4 KTM's versus me on a Tiger!

DQ - KTM 990 Adventure
Trailblazer990 - KTM 525EXC
DirtRoadnMS - KTM 500EXC
Stewardd - KTM 500EXC

Gotta bring my A game!!

After the rain last night, the roads had some run-off and waterpuddles...

I was working pretty hard to keep up with these guys and didn't get many pictures, but this was an awesome route for bikes with some good steep rocky hill climbs! the KTM's would often race ahead of me and wait at the next crossroads for me to point out a direction. Worked pretty good!
Soon we dropped down the mountain and arrived right at Oark!

We made really good time and somehow beat the larger group there.

Can't visit Oark without getting a piece of pie!

We fuel up and start weaving our way back north!
Old 04-07-2014, 06:02 AM   #300
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

We picked up another rider at Oark named Donnie. He is on a Husky and can flat out ride. So he is a good addition to the group.

I have several routes loaded in my GPS from the Arkansas SlapTrax... So we pick one that heads the general way we want to go... But my GPS has a hicup somewhere and points us towards this road that looks good but soon comes to a watercrossing. DQ looks at it and rips across. I wait a second and head across second. I stop and take pics of everyone else crossing:

The other three don't look so sure...

And Donnie...