Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2014, 06:14 AM   #301
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,366
This road goes up the mountain, becomes 2 track, then 1 track, then becomes a deer trail and we stop near a cemetery on top... DQ runs on ahead to see if it joins another road on the map but finds a gate!

This means we have to cross that cold and flowing stream again!!!

Due to the mud on the top, I'm a bit slow getting back down. DQ waited on me since I was moving slow. The others ran on down and crossed the river... Well, all but Stewardd crossed. He stopped for a swim. When I arrive at the crossing, TB990 is standing on the edge pointing where the shallow path was. I see Stewardd shedding a wet jacket and taking his boots off. He said he went all the way under!

We end up pulling the plug and making sure the engine is clear of water, clean and drain filter, etc. Ends up only damage was a blown fuse for his lights.

I loan Stewardd a dry shirt and we get ready to roll on...

We'd hit a nice wide open road and the KTM's (and Husky) would race ahead

Ended up being beautiful weather and great scenery!

We head for the Beautiful Road but soon come to a wide river crossing and have a mixed vote on whether to try it or not...
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:19 AM   #302
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

We end up hitting a couple of more water crossing roads, so we pick random roads on the GPS and follow the ridge around 3 water crossing we knew we didn't want to cross!!! Ended up being a awesome road with awesome scenery! The little bikes are getting low on fuel so we head towards Deer, AR. I noticed the store was reopened with a new owner when i was up here during a Spring Break, a few weeks ago.

The store was indeed open but they didn't have gas! So it was a 6 mile run to next town that they said did have gas. So off we run... 5 .8 miles down the road I see DirtRoadsnMS pull off sputtering. We tilt bike over to get any reserve we can over on one side and he goes 100 yards. DQ rides up and says the store is only a couple of hundred yards up the hill. We eventually get him going and all roll in for gas.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:26 AM   #303
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

Since we are a few miles away from out route that runs through Deer, we pick another random road on GPS that connect back to our route further north and it ends up being another AMAZING road! We run down the mountain to (I think) Kings River?

Donnie shows us how to cross...

DQ follows

No problem for Trailblazer990!

We follow a little Suburu from the horse farm for a few miles before we get around her and are soon back on our route.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:29 AM   #304
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

Uh, Oh...

The shadows are getting long, I'm sure Stewardd is cold, so we head up the mountain and back towards ES! I'm working hard enough to keep up with the little bikes that I don't get any more pictures... What a blast!!!
Old 04-07-2014, 06:57 AM   #305
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

Saturday, we joined a group led by Carlin (sp?). And off we go...

Old 04-07-2014, 07:01 AM   #306
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

Old 04-07-2014, 07:08 AM   #307
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

Group moved pretty good but had a few times that we got the slinky broken... Someone didn't wait at a corner or somehow we got separated.

We soon drop down to the Buffalo River park area

Old 04-07-2014, 07:12 AM   #308
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

We stopped at the Buffalo River Outfitters but were directed to eat elsewhere... We blamed it on Stewardd...

So we rode up to Low Gap and ran into a group being led by DrLewall!

The 3 Amigos have a in-depth bike discussion and caomparison

View from the deck at LowGap

And with full bellies, off we ride...
Old 04-07-2014, 07:23 AM   #309
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

The sun and wind combined to dry things out pretty quick and dust was getting to be more of a problem..

So these signs lead me to believe we are about to be on an awesome road!!

Ended up being a very heavily traveled car road down to a campground and access point on the Buffalo. Not fun meeting 3 cars in a switchback!! :) (Dead end, too!)

backwoodsKLR screwed with this post 04-07-2014 at 08:10 AM
Old 04-07-2014, 07:50 AM   #310
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

This is Ed (who i didn't' really get to talk to much, but understand he leads Adventure Tours around Eureka Springs) and I think the fellow in the HiViz Jacket is another Donnie? (Not Husky Donnie who is sitll riding with us, too!)

I am awful with names... sorry guys!

So we find out that "Husky" Donnie who I though was just a good ol' boy from down Houston way, actually has a ranch here in NWA and a her of Bison. I call them Bison, some call them Buffalo. And he offers to lead us down a 3 mile loop on his ranch. So we take off down a 2 track trail. At some point we stop for an obstacle or tough spot. I'm on the big heavy bike with all the 650 and under bikes (except for DQ's 990, but it's a dirt bike anyway!) I hear Carlin yell something behind me but can't understand him. he beats on my top box to get my attention. He points at my boot and yells again. I look down and see this angry fellow next to my foot...

I think someone on a bike clipped him and he is angry!!! (I hate snakes!)

Starts out being a fun trail, but heads down hill

Seems there is some slick mountain mud under the leaves and you don't know when you will hit a slick spot!

There are some water crossings and I'm having flashbacks to Thursday's ATV Trail ride...

Donnie has several waterfalls on his ranch.

That's some slick stuff!

At one point, I see them piling up sticks to jump a downed tree / log. I shake my head. A few small bikes get dropped. My rear is caked with mud and there is no way I can jump a tree!! Other Donnie on the KLR finds a way around and I manage to follow his track and go around.

We eventually come to another small tree to cross. I hit it with a little speed and cross the tree, but don't stick the landing. Back tire sweeps out and I lay her down! Get her back up and climb my way up the hill to see Donnie's Ranch!!

This is Carlin, this auctioneer sold me on this ride!!!

This is Husky Donnie who owns the ranch... What an awesome place!!! Donnie, i still want to be your new best friend!!!!

Soon we ride up a fence line and see... "Tatanka!!!!"

No that's not a Water Buffalo, that's Stewardd the Duck!

Donnie said you DO NOT walk amongst them!

Old 04-07-2014, 07:53 AM   #311
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

One last break before the final push back...

Okay, maybe one more stop at the cave...

Old 04-07-2014, 08:01 AM   #312
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

That appears to be all the pictures I got... We get back to ES uneventful, get us a steak for supper and I head to bed in preparation for the long ride home. Weather not looking great but you got to get home...

DQ and I gear up and roll out pretty early. It is cold. Low 40's and stop in Clinton, AR for gas and breakfast at a Huddle House. We warm up and roll on. About Little Rock the rain starts. We put on more gear and roll on. We are moving and making good time where we can. By Pine Bluff, it is coming down harder. We stop for gas somewhere along 65 and I am having trouble keeping up with DQ. I know he is ready to get home, but my pants are soaked, my gloves are soaked, my heated grips barely keep feeling in my hands. We run all the way down 65 towards Tallulah and the rain gets harder, the drops get larger, and the wind howls more. We stop for gas in Tallulah and I have to get off the bike. We go in the gas station and get a subway and warm up a little. Soon it slacks up a bit and we make the final push to get home. We get some gloves from the sandwich makes at Subway and these make awesome dry liners for our gloves! Rain seems to have stopped as we hit the Interstate. Somewhere east of Vicksburg we see blue lights and brake lights. A tree had blown down and blocked part of the right lane. At least it isn't raining any more as we wait. Soon we are free and moving again... We raced on to Brandon. After all of that, I roll into my garage and almost drop my bike cause my wet boots can't get traction on the garage floor! Great trip, great rides, and great friends to ride with. Met a few new really cool guys! Thanks to all the ride leaders!
Old 04-07-2014, 01:16 PM   #313
DavidQ
We Don't Rent Pigs

Oddometer: 1,999
Nice write-up BW. I have around 300 photos I need to sort through before I add to this report.
Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012
DavidQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:44 PM   #314
weave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
Looks like some nice riding up there. Gives me a new itch to scratch.
Nice report
Old 04-07-2014, 02:59 PM   #315
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weave View Post
Looks like some nice riding up there. Gives me a new itch to scratch.
Nice report
When you want to go, Weave? It's only a few hours up there and I have a ton of routes and such! !!