User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2014, 01:06 PM   #331
DavidQ
We Don't Rent Pigs

Oddometer: 1,962
Day 5 of 5

BW and I new this was going to be a tough day because of the weather. Severe storms were going to be covering the the area between NW AR and home. We got an early start and it was a beautiful morning.

By the time we hit Little Rock, the rain started to come down. the temperature dropped to the low 40's and it was raining so hard at times I couldn't see. It was all we could do to dodge flooding water pockets in the road. We probably should have stopped for the day but I sometimes become a little stubborn and determined. We pushed on through. The last picture I took was in Dumas , AR.

I put the camera away after this. We still managed to make decent time. We made it from Eureka Springs, AR to Brandon, MS in 9 hours.

Side note: We also met inmate joenuclear at a gas station in LA. He was on a business trip to New Orleans. It was nice to meet you Joe. Sorry we couldn't chat longer. Maybe we will see you on a ride this summer.

It was a great trip with lots of fantastic riding. We met a lot of nice folks (sorry I can't remember most of their names) and saw some old friends.

Thanks to all involved in the Hillbilly Ride
Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012
DavidQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:10 PM   #332
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,280
Great ride report and photos Guys! Looks like you definitely got around the Ozark National Forest. I recognized a lot of the areas in the photos and some I did not. I am jealous that you got to ride with Donnie on his ranch. I have been wanting to do that for some time. He was at the AR500 last year and is a good friend of Scotty's. Scotty keeps telling me he can hook us up to ride over there but to date it hasn't happened. He will probably be at the AR500 ride this coming weekend so I will try to become his best friend and tell him I know those Missippi boyz he led around his ranch. Glad you had a good time.

Take care of that foot DQ. Man that looked nasty.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:04 AM   #333
carabnsol
should have been a cowboy

Oddometer: 2,026
Nice report guys... sure makes me wish I had been there. All except for the cold wet ride home.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:43 PM   #334
stewarrd
JHF

Oddometer: 119
BW and DQ great pics! I don't have the words to express the great time I had riding with everyone. Great job Friday on route, it was some really great roads. Getting ready to head out for thei Arkansas 500 y'all should load up and come along.
1975 Honda CB 750
2005 Kawasaki KDX220R and 1990 Honda CT 70
stewarrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:38 PM   #335
DavidQ
We Don't Rent Pigs

Oddometer: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewarrd View Post
BW and DQ great pics! I don't have the words to express the great time I had riding with everyone. Great job Friday on route, it was some really great roads. Getting ready to head out for thei Arkansas 500 y'all should load up and come along.

I wish I could; Y'all have fun.
Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012
DavidQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:36 AM   #336
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,189
Found a really large ice cream churn yesterday...

backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:22 AM   #337
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

2014 SLAP rally adventure

So DavidQ and I made plans to attend the SLAP rally this year, held in NW Arkansas. Weather report looked good... calling for highs in the 70s and lows in the 50's. Great camping and riding weather.

As with 99% of our adventures, they begin with a good breakfast!

We try to hit the road and slab it out of town to beat the morning rush hour traffic... note the word "try"... We both were at unknown fuel levels so we we decided to get past the commuter traffic and then top off, otherwise we will be stuck in the stop and go...

We make it from Brandon, MS to Bolton, MS on I-20 and stop at the fuel stop. It is a little chilly and I am ready to stop and put an extra layer on. DQ has his heated liner running, which isn't helping me any!

DQ returns a few phone calls after he fuels up (gotta keep the business running!) and we gear back up and he hits his starter and gets NOTHING!

So the KTM battery-under-the-skidplate work begins...

We try to bump start it but can't get enough traction in the loose gravel topped parking lot. So we dig out DQs jumper cables and after a little tool work, get it jumped off. The one thing we hate on a trip is backtracking... So we decide to continue on to Vicksburg, MS to find a new battery.

We pull into a gas station and ask a guy driving a "mobile service rig" who has motorcycle batteries. So our quest begins at NAPA...

They don't have motorcycle batteries and send us to a powersports store that has lawn mowers and Artic Cat products.
They don't stock ANY BATTERIES... We then go to a few other places and get the same answer. We finally end up at Wide Open Motorsports that has Polaris and a bunch of mowers and tractors.

Super nice guy at parts counter brings several exide batteries out and we have some really close, but won't fit the opening... too tall, too wide, etc.
We tell him we were headed to Arkansas up Hwy 65 from Tallulah so he starts calling around and tries Monroe and other area towns searching for a battery for us. Finally finds one at Greenville Powersports in Greenville, MS! We get in touch with them and they agree to go ahead and charge it up while we make the boring ride up Hwy 61 to get there...

Shortly after we leave the dealership and head north on HWY61, we see a trailer with 4 bikes on it... hey, those look familiar! It's TrailBlazer990 and son headed to slap! We wave as we go past them. Guess they will beat us there by the time we side trip to Greenville and change a battery! :)

backwoodsKLR screwed with this post 05-18-2014 at 07:44 AM
Old 05-18-2014, 07:26 AM   #338
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

We hate crossing the Delta, but you can't get to Arkansas without it! This time of year especially, there is usually a good cross wind blowing that causes lots of head shake, buffeting, wind noise, etc. And leads to sore neck muscles, blurry vision, and sometimes a headache!

Old 05-18-2014, 07:37 AM   #339
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

DQ tucks in to avoid as much cross wind as possible and we run for a battery...

Soon we hit HWY 82 at Leland and head west towards Greenville Powersports... Nice dealership. They have Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki and more. Seem to do a big Side-by-Side business with the delta farmers and hunters, but they do have several Dual Sports on the floor. 2 Superteneres and a DR 650, among others. DQ gets his charged up battery, do a quick swap in the parking lot...

And it's off to find lunch... Which bring us to Stamson's Restaurant in Greenville.

Good food, great service, fast and often tea refills!!!
Pepper Steak over rice, Au Gratin taters, and cream corn...

With bellies full, we head back out into the crosswinds...
Old 05-18-2014, 07:41 AM   #340
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

We get ready to trade the Mississippi Delta for the Arkansas Delta...

Old 05-18-2014, 07:50 AM   #341
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

Side Note: When we get to the dealership in Greenville, DQ gets off the bike and shares a new song he had written. Goes to the tune of Delta Dawn.

Now that you have that song stuck in your head, change the words to go like this:

Delta Sucks, Delta Sucks... Delta Sucks, Delta Sucks...

And now look at the following pics over and over for a few hours, and you will understand how boring and monotonous the Delta can be...

Old 05-18-2014, 07:56 AM   #342
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

Soon we are past Pine Bluff and turn off towards Sheridan on 270. Don't want to super slab it through Little Rock and on down 40. So we head towards Hot Springs but soon notice the sky darkening ahead...

We get in minor sprinkles, see some lightning, but we push through hoping to get around the storm and keep north of it. Roads are wet and we pass through cells of light rain. Not worth stopping to get rain gear on so we push on. Soon we are turning through the Gorge and the sun peaks out...

Old 05-18-2014, 08:07 AM   #343
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

We turn up towards Scenic HWY 7 and roll on...

As we are running up Hwy 7, I notice DQ slowing and not riding like he usually would. Soon he signals and pulls over in a roadside park.

Seems he has developed allergy troubles. Watery eyes and riding a bike don't mix well. So we take a break, search our bags for medicine and roll on at a little easier pace.

At some point, the sky starts turning dark again and the rain comes again, this time harder. Doesn't look like it will clear, so we pull under an awning and put on rain gear. I put the camera in the tank bag and we ride on to Clarksville, where we decide to pull in for supper and let the rain blow over.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:21 AM   #344
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

After supper we ride on to Byrd's Adventure Center and get checked in and find Trailblazer990, son, and DirtRoadsinMS already set up. So we get next to them and unpack and setup out tents. We soon meet a fellow camped close by from Hattiesburg, MS who has been riding dualsports and on ADV for years, but has never ventured into the regional forums. Entertaining fellow, but a bit of an introvert...

We awake early the next morning and after everyone gets stirring, we start getting ready to gear up...

TrailBlazers rig and camp:

They came prepared for any type of riding!!!

Last minute visor cleaning and we are ready to roll out on a last minute route I threw together, just in case...

So at this point, our cast of characters is:
me - Triumph Tiger 800XC
DavidQ - KTM 990 Adventure R
Trailblazer (Bob) - KTM 525EXC
Marcus (Bob's Son) - Plated Honda 450X
DirtRoadsinMS (Greg) - KTM 500EXC

Here is Marcus on his 450X, ready to go

Byrd's is a very large campround / adventure center. There are several different groups... A jeep club, a kayak group, family campers, atvers, ets.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:28 AM   #345
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

My route, follows parts of routes I downloaded from others in the Arkansas GPS thread... So there is no knowledge of road conditions, water crossings, gas availability, etc. So we exit Byrd's, go a mile down the road and turn up Beech Grove Road... (Also known as NFS road 1533). It is a handful for the big bikes. Loose rocks, mud, water running down the hill, etc...

I don't get any pictures of the rocky hillclimb, cause it takes both hands to wrestle the Tiger up the rocky climb... Soon it levels out a bit

and we stop for a break on a flat spot a mile or so in...

Well, breaks over, lets go again!!!

Catching a little air off a water break...