Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 853
Small parts storage containers - any recommendations?

I have a bunch of mis-matched plastic snap-shut containers but I need some new ones. I'm wondering if anyone has anything they can recommend or tell me to stay away from. Ones that stack together would be nice. I have a bunch of nuts/bolts and electrical parts that need a new home. I'm thinking of containers that are like this...

Any recommendations?
pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
2000RSV
Go Fast, Go Long

Oddometer: 2,078
Plano tackle box.

J
2000RSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:23 PM   #3
FixerDave
KLR-650

Oddometer: 307
My preference is for containers like you show but with individually removable, and relocatable, bins. It makes sorting way easier, you can take just the bin you want to where you need it, and you can actually dump the contents of a single bin without having to empty the whole thing. They cost more but... I have 16 now. They come in thick and thin models, the thin having many more but much smaller bins. I really like them.

I hacked together some racks to hold them... pictures are in the man castle thread.

David...
FixerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:53 PM   #4
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Because I have such a large inventory of parts and supply's accumulated from 30 years of turning wrenches. I have always plastic butter/sour cream/cream cheese containers, spice and seasoning containers, those clear 1 quart plastic containers that Chinese carry outs use for soup work great too. You would be surprised how many plastic containers pass thru your hands that are perfect out in the garage for storage. These type of containers can be easily stacked on a shelf. I just label the container with a piece of masking tape and a sharpie. They have nice label makers these days too. You can use old medicine vials for smaller parts. Sometimes when I'm in Harbor Freight and I see the assortment of plastic storage bins/boxes I get tempted to buy some....but to tell the truth it would just make things harder to find. For me it's easier to read a label than to look into a muti bin box to locate something. All the assorted nut's bolt's and washers I've accumulated would never fit into limited space of those multi bin boxes anyway. Most have these containers around the house and throw them away...I'd rather spend that money on tools or specialty fastener assortments. The shelving unit in the corner is filled with hardware stored this way.

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country

Tech23 screwed with this post 04-14-2012 at 11:59 PM
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:14 AM   #5
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixerDave View Post
My preference is for containers like you show but with individually removable, and relocatable, bins. It makes sorting way easier, you can take just the bin you want to where you need it, and you can actually dump the contents of a single bin without having to empty the whole thing. They cost more but... I have 16 now. They come in thick and thin models, the thin having many more but much smaller bins. I really like them.

I hacked together some racks to hold them... pictures are in the man castle thread.
uhh the man castle thread is like 100 pages.

cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:54 AM   #6
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,526
I stumbled across this the other day at an Alco store:
http://www.drillspot.com/products/60..._organizer?s=1

The yellow plastic bins are removable, making it handy to take the parts to where you're doing the work.

listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:58 AM   #7
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,993
Fishing boxes are cheap, and the bin sizes are adjustable, so when you use a bunch of 12 gauge spade terminals, and seldom use the 18 gauge bullets, you can just adjust the box to fit.

Also fishing boxes let you remove sections to provide a tool, for instance, if you have a crimping tool, you put that in with the crimp on terminals.

If you have a bunch of 10-32 nuts and machine screws, you put the tap and die in with those tools.

Then the best way to store is to build some shelves that are the depth of your boxes, with slots sot that you don't have to remove mulitple boxes to get the one you want.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:12 AM   #8
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
I use something similar to this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stack-On-3...-Blue/14958200
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #9
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Not cheap, but I got a great deal on 4 cabinets of lightly used drawers.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#drawer-stor...binets/=h491j9

Each drawer slides out on steel rails, and can be easily removed and has a latching lid.

These are fantastic, and will last forever.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 853
Thanks guys. Over the years I'vecollected so many different types of containers. I have a new pile of electrical stuff I need to organize and for some reason I got the urge to try to get some standardization going.

OaklandStrom...those mcmaster ones look pretty nice. They don't seem too expensive really.
pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #11
Slimie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
I stumbled across this the other day at an Alco store:
http://www.drillspot.com/products/60..._organizer?s=1

The yellow plastic bins are removable, making it handy to take the parts to where you're doing the work.

These are great, they also do one twice the depth with removable dividers (here in the UK).

One word of advice, always ALWAYS make sure the catches are locked. A box full of screws takes ages to pick up and another age to sort out! Everyone on site will blame you for every single puncture for at least a year.

-Simon
Slimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #12
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilo View Post
OaklandStrom...those mcmaster ones look pretty nice. They don't seem too expensive really.
Mine are the heavy duty ones, so it ends up being about $250 for 4 drawers and a cabinet, and I have 4 cabinets. I got them used for $250, rather than the $1,000 retail.

I like that I have them organized by application, so I can grab a drawer, latch it and take it with me. If I go help a friend hand a shelf, I can just grab the "wall anchors" drawer and throw it in the truck.

There's a drawer for 1/4-so stainless fasteners.
Hoseclamps & hardware.
Small metric fasteners,
etc...

I love 'em. But at $250 for 4 drawers, I don't think I would have spent full retail.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #13
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandStrom View Post
Not cheap, but I got a great deal on 4 cabinets of lightly used drawers.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#drawer-stor...binets/=h491j9

Each drawer slides out on steel rails, and can be easily removed and has a latching lid.

These are fantastic, and will last forever.
I got a couple of sets like this but in plastic & cheap, Stanley brand maybe? Can be stacked, fixed to the wall etc. They were a similar cost to buying 4 of the same size plastic tackle box type trays that are the drawers. They have been really useful & I think I might get another couple for my expanding collection of fasteners & widgets.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #14
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimie View Post
One word of advice, always ALWAYS make sure the catches are locked. A box full of screws takes ages to pick up and another age to sort out! Everyone on site will blame you for every single puncture for at least a year.

-Simon
The voice of experience! Me too!

I had originated a thread about cleaning, sorting and storing a wide array of nuts & bolts:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=555600

I used these Cabelas Utility Boxes (like tackle trays) made by Plano:
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...AL%3BIK-016832

I used these wall mounted organizers to keep THEM organized:
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...AL%3BIK-129756

It's worked out pretty well - you can remove dividers for longer items, but progress has been (predictably)sloooow...
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:40 PM   #15
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000RSV View Post
Plano tackle box.

J
+1

Successfully keeping track of all my little stuff since my brother gave me one for Christmas back in 1978. Finally cracked the plastic cover last year but it is still going strong. But the writing is on the wall so I am moving to those new tackle trays.