Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 10:20 AM   #76
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,600
Thank you, Leroy.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:43 AM   #77
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech View Post
Need to ask... how did you secure the wire mesh? I want to put some slots on my CRF fender to add some airflow
I don't know how Mike attached his wire mesh. However, you can drill 4 or 6 small holes, and use plastic zip ties to attach the mesh to the fender, as I did.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 04-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #78
michael.brat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
I zip-tied the mesh in multiple spots, then used this stuff: http://www.createforless.com/Loctite...utm_medium=cse

Probably not the best stuff, but held well without having to surface the plastic. ~I usually leave the zip ties on for a week

Here are some pics of the CRF230L fender I vented. Even though I don't have the cooler there anymore, I wanted to see if it made a difference in cooling by possibly getting more air to the head. Didn't notice any change in temps.

(You'll see the adhesive in the last picture)

Mike B
michael.brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:23 PM   #79
D-man
SHUT UP & RIDE!

Oddometer: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I don't know how Mike attached his wire mesh. However, you can drill 4 or 6 small holes, and use plastic zip ties to attach the mesh to the fender, as I did.

Spud
I am not a fan of tie wraps so got a little more permanent with rivets

standard 1/4" hardware cloth, this has about 7500 miles and no issues, cant say it did much but it looks like it should

dman

IT'S ALL GOOD!

D-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:43 PM   #80
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

That's a nice job, Dave. Where did you get the hardware cloth? I bought mine at CAL-Ranch for $4.99 a running foot. I have enough 1/4-inch hardware cloth to last my bike a lifetime!

Spud
Old 08-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #81
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

I have now ridden 6 thousand miles with my Spud Cooler installed. I am pleased to report this oil cooler works great, and I haven't had any problems with it whatsoever.

Spud

Spud Rider screwed with this post 08-22-2012 at 12:39 PM
Old 08-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #82
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
awesome spud congrats again

I need to make one sometime soon

felt the need a couple of rides especially on the highway got up to 280f plus once

yikes

ride on!
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #83
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
Hey Spud and others.

I've read this thread several times (and enjoyed it too) eventhough I dont own an xr650L.

One thing I've always wondered.....Have no one tried to see what opening the fender does to oiltemps on a stock un-oilcoolered bike. Theres a little talk about it last in the thread, but nothing specific. On paper it should be a great, cheap and easy way to help cooling the bike...But sometimes, real world experiences is very different.

I own an xt600, and have cut of a couple of centimeters of the lower back part of the front fender, in an attempt to add more air to the head, but never did "the science" and meassure temps.

Did you ever try to cover the cooler to see what that did to the temps? And did you try to cover up the the mesh screen on the fender aswell, to se what stock temps is?

Thanks for youre time
Old 12-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #84
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
I did it on my xr6, it dropped the temps by a mere 5f...give or take...at speed it obviously does more, and I noticed about an 8f drop...

Im not spud though....jejejeje

christian
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #85
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensEskildsen View Post
...Did you ever try to cover the cooler to see what that did to the temps? And did you try to cover up the the mesh screen on the fender aswell, to se what stock temps is?

Thanks for youre time
After installing my oil cooler, my oil temperatures dropped 31 degrees Fahrenheit after I switched from a fender with drilled holes to a fender with a 4"x4" slot cut in the rear of the fender.

Spud
Old 12-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #86
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
Christian, you must be the "others" then Thanks =)

Spud, yeah I saw that, but wondered if it would have the same effect without the cooler. Going by Christian, theres very little to gain that way.

In the summer we get around 25c (77fahrenheit) here, on the interstate at 110km/h (68mph) my oiltemp will eventually climb to 120c. (248 fahrenheit) It meassures the temps in the frame, so its probably hotter elsewhere in the engine. Its not dangerously high, but perhaps a bit higher than I would want it. The same goes for singletrack/sand ect.

Seems like theres not much to do, other than add a cooler, which I really dont want to.

The bike does have a larger gastank, which seems to "collect/gather" way more air than the stocker. Its been fine for over 110.000km so I know it wont break down because of that, but I like to improve small things, and make the bike more suited for my needs.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #87
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensEskildsen View Post
Christian, you must be the "others" then Thanks =)

Spud, yeah I saw that, but wondered if it would have the same effect without the cooler. Going by Christian, theres very little to gain that way.

In the summer we get around 25c (77fahrenheit) here, on the interstate at 110km/h (68mph) my oiltemp will eventually climb to 120c. (248 fahrenheit) It meassures the temps in the frame, so its probably hotter elsewhere in the engine. Its not dangerously high, but perhaps a bit higher than I would want it. The same goes for singletrack/sand ect.

Seems like theres not much to do, other than add a cooler, which I really dont want to.

The bike does have a larger gastank, which seems to "collect/gather" way more air than the stocker. Its been fine for over 110.000km so I know it wont break down because of that, but I like to improve small things, and make the bike more suited for my needs.
If your oil temperatures don't exceed 248 degrees Fahrenheit, you probably don't need an oil cooler. The engine oil coming off the piston skirt is probably the hottest oil in the bike; it's probably 50 degrees Fahrenheit hotter than the oil in the reservoir. Therefore, your highest oil temperatures are probably around 300 degrees Fahrenheit, or a little hotter. Conventional motor oil doesn't start to degrade until it reaches about 400 degrees Fahrenheit, so you are probably quite safe. I would consider installing an oil cooler when oil temperatures in the reservoir start to exceed 300 degrees Fahrenheit.

Spud
Old 12-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #88
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

If you want the greatest oil cooling to occur, it's very important to have maximum airflow over the oil cooler. A smaller oil cooler placed in maximum airflow will cool as much, or more, than a larger oil cooler with blocked air flow. My 4"x4", Baker Precision oil cooler is very well protected, and receives excellent air flow below the front fender, and over the front tire.

After cutting a 4"x4" slot in the rear of the front fender, my oil temperatures were as low as they were when I tested the oil cooler with the front fender completely removed.

I experimented by drilling holes in the front fender before I cut out the slot; the holes did not allow much airflow, and greatly reduced the oil cooler's ability to radiate heat.

I recorded oil temperatures without a fender, and with a stock fender, before I cut any slots in my front fender. Using this method I recorded maximum oil cooling with a 4"x4" rectangle cut in the rear of the front fender.

The extra holes outside the 4"x4" rectangle were left over from my earlier experimentation. I don't think the extra holes help airflow, and they can be omitted.

Spud
Old 02-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #89
super samurai
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316

So i bought the same cooler spud purchased from bakers supply. Was like $32 and $12 for shipping.
I researched spuds thread and came to the conclusion i wasnt that fancy on cutting my fender and lowering my fender.
Started with some flat stock, shaped two tabs. Drilled them and tack welded two nuts for bolting the cooler to the tabs.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #90
super samurai
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316

So i mocked it all up.
Ran all my lines before i finished welding bracket on.
Notice i put another piece of flat stock skinnier then the two tabs vertical between the tabs.