Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #31
FolkGirl OP
Guitar Slinger

Oddometer: 128
I ambled onward through Evans Notch, past Mt Washington and eventually back to Conway to join the campout

Next morning headed out to Whitehourse Gear for the open house for free lunch and moto gear shopping

Lots of bikes on this nice sunny day!

Just making it an overnighter this time, so I headed back to VT
via Bear Notch again

And the Kanc again, from 302 I turned north in Groton to ride Route 232 thru the Groton State Forest

and took a little water break

Then Route 2 into Montpelier and homeward

Home Sweet Home

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782103

FolkGirl screwed with this post 05-24-2012 at 01:53 PM Reason: repeat photo
FolkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #32
Hillikus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Great pictures and what looks like great riding!

I took a few days of leave from the Navy and was able to see some of VT with a disaster response team(Team Rubicon) after Irene and I remember the first thing I told my wife when I got back was, we're going to be spending some time in that state. I absolutely loved most everything(except the flood damage) about VT and VT'ers. Some of the nicest most generous people I have ever talked to. No matter where we went to provide help the people were always more concerned with their neighbors than themselves. Sorry I got a little off topic, but please keep the pictures coming! Can't wait to get my bike up there soon!

-H
Hillikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #33
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillikus View Post
Great pictures and what looks like great riding!

I took a few days of leave from the Navy and was able to see some of VT with a disaster response team(Team Rubicon) after Irene and I remember the first thing I told my wife when I got back was, we're going to be spending some time in that state. I absolutely loved most everything(except the flood damage) about VT and VT'ers. Some of the nicest most generous people I have ever talked to. No matter where we went to provide help the people were always more concerned with their neighbors than themselves. Sorry I got a little off topic, but please keep the pictures coming! Can't wait to get my bike up there soon!

-H
Team Rubicon rocked! My wife and I live on high ground so were spared any Irene damage, but pitched in to help small farms and communities in the flood zone. I well remember a few communities that were completely isolated by entire roads being washed away, i.e., what had been a road thru fertile farmland was now a quarter mile of stone and riverbed twenty feet lower than it had been the previous week. Somehow Team Rubicon got thru to those communities and delivered essential help and materials. Bravo Zulu for your help!

You've got a place to stay if you ride back up this way. (If you can put up with three very affectionate golden retrievers.)

Folkgirl -- Thanks again for awesome pix! And once again we were both riding in the same area (302 to 25 to the Kanc to Whitehorse) and never saw each other.

Pete
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #34
FolkGirl OP
Guitar Slinger

Hey Boondox I think I saw your sidecar rig in traffic behind me leaving Whitehorse. Good looking rig!

Old 05-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #35
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolkGirl View Post
Hey Boondox I think I saw your sidecar rig in traffic behind me leaving Whitehorse. Good looking rig!
Criminy! That was you just in front of me thru the traffic in Conway!?! If so, I followed you on 302 all the way to Bear Notch Road where you turned off. Great lane position and riding defensively, btw. I remember thinking "That rider is in the zone!"

Crap, I hate heavy traffic in shire towns! So focused on threats I forget my manners and miss chances to say hi.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #36
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Loving the thread. I rode up to Shoreham last fall right after the floods to visit friends. We did some site seeing around the state in a van so I didn't get to ride much of it. But I sure want to come back and ride! Love your state.

John
Old 06-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #37
JohnCVermont
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolkGirl View Post
Hey FolkGirl ...

Great to see your pics here ADV ...

One of these days, I will encounter you and BoonDox out on the road. I am going through The Notch nearly every other week during the summer to look after my brother's place in Stowe. I had a great ride up to Lake Willoughby a couple of weeks ago... I look forward to seeing your pictures from when you head up there. (You definitely take better pictures than I do)

We even stop at the same places, i.e. The Village Store in Warren. I always stop there when I am hopping through Lincoln or Appalachian Gap on through to the Warren Mountain Road (great scenic vista there) to pick up Rt. 12A.

Just played "Further On Up the Road" in honor of your Vermont/NH/New England RRs.

I will keep an eye out for you, Boondox, and his riding companion.

Safe Travels!

JohnCVermont screwed with this post 06-04-2012 at 05:57 PM
JohnCVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #38
FolkGirl OP
Guitar Slinger

Stay tuned, I'll be heading to Acadia National Park in ME this weekend. And, any route ideas through NH and ME would be welcome, I have no route plan yet.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #39
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,506
I love Vermont riding. Thanks for the pics.
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #40
FolkGirl OP
Guitar Slinger

Keep your coffee handy, pics from a trip to Acadia National Park in Maine coming up next

Old 06-12-2012, 07:26 AM   #41
FolkGirl OP
Guitar Slinger

Acadia

So, it will be a long day of riding across VT, NH and ME to get to the coast. This time I went through Crawford Notch in the White Mountains and stopped at Whitehorse gear in Conway for some unfinished shopping from my last visit. I left the camera in the sidebags when I took off, so there's nothing until I stopped for lunch.

Didn't really stop for pics, I was in the riding zone. Skies were threatening all day, but finally opened up as I reached route 202 in Maine near Augusta and I jumped on Interstate 95 for the last few hours to the campsite in the rain (and some lightning ) and was able to set up camp just as the sun set and rain turned to a light drizzle.

My sister and her family finally showed up to meet me around midnight and in the morning we set off to explore the park and enjoy the glorious sunshine.

Top of Cadillac Mountain

The rocky coast

Beer break at the campsite

view from the trail above Sand Beach, which was our favorite spot and where we spent most of our second day hanging out

A stop at the sandbar after some ice cream lunch in Bar Harbor

Thunder Hole

Those were the best shot from 2 days of family fun, and then I'm back in the saddle headed for VT. This time my plan was just to follow route 2 the entire way.

It would be easy navigating once I got away from the coast

But, as it turned out, Route 2 is the blandest way to get across ME and NH, somewhat scenic but not really worthy of pulling over to capture the views. It does move along pretty good though aside from occasional construction, packs of Harleys and truck traffic.

Once I got into Vt it gets a bit better

Again I was in the zone and not a ton of riding pics

I was hoping this place would have sandwiches- nope. It does have a lovely selection of local cheeses, wine, olives, etc.

Ah, food at last. This place was in Plainfield VT and was sort of a fine dining bakery. If you're in the area and in the mood for a coffee, the baked goods are amazing - well worth a stop.

Until next time.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #42
MonkeyboyVT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Great Reports and pics FolkGirl, please keep em coming!
MonkeyboyVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #43
FolkGirl OP
Guitar Slinger

I rode to Old Songs Festival last weekend in Altamont, NY. I think I have a couple pics, but mostly I was racing the darkness on the way there and back. Especially the way home, bike kept cutting in and out and finally lost power and quit in Whitehall NY. I coasted into a gas station and it turned out to be a loose connection at the battery. I was so glad it was an easy fix. My wrenching "skills" are limited.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #44
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,858
Very nice
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #45
MGB
ex. BmwDuc

Oddometer: 1,897
Enjoying this ride...

Spent the early eighties weekends riding around Vermont, we into our 4th year of an annual 10 camping trip with the dogs, having more fun every year!

Thanks for sharing!
Marc
VA