Old 04-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
I ...'88 K75. ..
tell us about it.
I hear great things about that engine. True?

what oil do you use?
Old 04-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
390beretta OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 943
I might also add that I'm fairly seasoned as well, 66 yo in two days. I use Mobil 1 20-50 in the engine. I'm very lucky in that there is a shop here in the Phx. area "Motoghost". The owner, Omar, the parts guy, Matt and the Mechanic, Dan are the most savvy guys I've ever come across with re: to Beemers. They don't sell bikes and the only ones they work on are BMWs. They do sell parts, gear, etc. But if anyone has a question, problem, or needs really high quality work done, go to them. Very customer service oriented as well. Tell'm Con sentcha!

I bought this bike after my wife and I spent 3 years traveling in our 5th. wheel full time. Our last summer was spent in Moab, UT. We, at that time had a DRZ 400 and (she) a Kawasaki Sherpa. We rode all the trails (and there are a bunch) that were within are abilities. She's a fairly new rider (2years), I've been riding since I was 16, but not off road much. After seven months in Moab, she said it would be fun to have bikes that we could go longer distances on more comfortably. So, we sold the dual-sports and she wound up with an '08 Versys, because it fit her the best, and I found this older K75, my fourth BMW, which I truly love; my first K bike, although I've had three other BMWs and a bunch of English bikes when I was younger.

So, am I allowed to be here and talk about my old K bike?

Thanks everyone!
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
390beretta OP
Studly Adventurer

Renner

Sorry I didn't answer all your questions. That engine is fantastic: When I bought this bike, I took it in to Motoghost for a pre-purchase inspection. Omar said it was in very good condition with, at that time, 48,000 miles. He said it's not uncommon for these engines to go 200,000-300,000 without any problem. He said he had mine up to 118 mph indicated in less than a mile and it felt right. I did have to replace one front brake rotor, which was warped, and a few other minor parts, but nothing serious.

Just as an interesting side note: A few weeks after I bought the bike, I was at Motoghost and commented on how smooth the bike ran, "almost like an electric motorcycle". Omar took me outside, stood a nickel on the engine, inside one of the indents for the valve train cover, on its "edge"; had me start the engine and let it idle. The nickel never fell over! Now, that's smooth!
Old 04-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
tennessee thumper
now in Mt. View, AR

Oddometer: 634
You would probably find more K bike owners and K bike info, chat etc... in the Road Warriors ADV forum.

K bike is not an "airhead" as it has a liquid cooled motor.

Sound like you have great ride there as well as a good shop to keep it running right.

Cheers!
tennessee thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
390beretta OP
Studly Adventurer

I know you're right Thumper, because I visit those thread daily. I just like the "Old's Cool" idea, maybe because I am. But, if that's inappropriate I won't continue posting here. By the way, when I was in high school, I had one of the few R 25s in the state. Loved that bike. 250 cc single, vertical, shaft drive, etc. As I remember, I sometimes took the muffler off to make it sound like a "flat track" bike. Back then, I think it was Dick Mann who was the guy to beat. He rode a 500 cc BSA and competed against the 750 cc flat head Harleys. Still nearly always won. The "Charity Newsies" in Columbus, OH was the big race then.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
390beretta OP
Studly Adventurer

Just another note: I bought my first serious bike while I was in undergraduate school at Ohio University in Athens, Ohio. There was a serious flat tracker (Don Kiger) who owned a bike shop near there. He had nearly died in an accident a couple years earlier. I bought his BSA Gold Star flat track bike from him, nearly in a cardboard box. It had 13-1 compression, a manual spark retard, etc. Didn't run very well as I recall, but DAMN!, when it ran it was hell on wheels.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #8
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,733

The question of where K bike folk were welcomed came up last year during the pants-wetting extravaganza debate about splitting airheads into a sub from Old Skool.

It was pointed out that Road Warriors isn't doing it for the K crowd, and that clearly 'Old's Cool' (gak) at large wants zero BMW content.

I say if you like the groove here in airheads, post away and welcome aboard
Old 04-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #9
bmwloco
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,163
K75's are orphans, as are all Airheads. Let's face it, the more the merrier. And kudos to independent shops that support old BMWs too!
Airhead #371
bmwloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:02 PM   #10
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwloco View Post
... the more the merrier.
+1
no sense in starting a flying brick sub-subforum just yet.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #11
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,713
I like K bikes! Never had one, but really enjoy their owners so I say, "stick around here!" By the way, I've heard nothing but great things about Omar and Motoghost.!!! I think you're probably one lucky BMW owner to have him right around the corner.!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #12
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,027
I owned a two valve K bike for awhile. It was different. I did like it. I say we admit the ownership of this bastard child and let them in the house. But only the two valve Ks. No Oilies. No multi valve. No Cruisers, Ugh! No crotch rocket SS or RR or large hole FDs . No K bike engines turned the right way around. Only the wrong way K bikes and with only two valves per cylinder.

We should admit to our Dark Side. We will be happier in the end.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #13
merge87
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
K bikes. I've got one, a K75 from the 80's but not sure on the exact year. I'm pretty sure it's old enough to meet the above rules. It was painted yellow at some point so of course we call it our Bumblebeemer. I share it with my dad. Very reliable.
merge87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #14
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
I love almost all bikes, and don't like barring anyone from a forum, or sub-forum. That said, would a K bike not fit more in Olds Cool, than Airheads?!?
Old 04-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #15
daveoneshot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Leave him in Airheads.....I think he needs us.
daveoneshot is offline   Reply With Quote