Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #31
kdscoates
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,484
Have a great trip Kuntz but when you come back through and saty with that asshole friend of mine let me know and I would have brought you some garbage bags for when it rains!!!

Have a great trip and sorry I missed you!

quote from 4runner "but,if you really need a 80/20 , which most of us do and won't admit it,"
kdscoates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:59 AM   #32
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,614
Haha, yeah sorry Coates I should have let you know PK and Kim were in town. I worked late both nights and didn't really have the opportunity to have a proper welcoming.

I will say PK was better prepared for the changes in temp this time around.

flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:37 AM   #33
KimPossible
XT Diver!:)

Oddometer: 816
That pic is my favorite.

We're leaving Tellico Plains today. Stayed at Hunts Motorcycle Lodge, had the best time. When we arrived a SabMag group was having a gathering and embraced all whom rolled in as a member. Invited us to join them in Ohio for the next event.:) Met Jack and family last night while washing clothes. Before I knew it I was drunk. Jack and Lori own the place and you can't go wrong staying just to hang with them.
KimPossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:00 AM   #34
KimPossible
XT Diver!:)

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuq View Post
You lucky bastages, your a while out still from our neck of the woods, by the time you get here to the AK-you'll have a lot of advice chimed in by then. It's a different breed out here, in Alaska you can camp anywhere you feel comfortable, so long it is public lands, which is pretty much everything. Western Canada, same thing, but they have nice, more formal campgrounds every where-usually with showers. One shower usually cost a loon for 5-10minute showers. If you find yourself in the islands of western Canada or Alaska, then you are most definitely welcome to our campfire. We have a couple of showers a hotspring, but only deep enough to dip your toes. There are some nice camping hotsprings in the.b.c and Yukon, depending on which route you enter the AK, which is only like three different roads or by ferry. I always struggle to find camping in the lower forty-eight, it stresses me out every square inch is owned by somebody. I can't just pull over, for me camping down their is a culturally different mental paradigm.
Thank you for the campfire invite.:)
KimPossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #35
Kawikazi
Loose Cannon

Oddometer: 356
LF Frolic In the Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimPossible View Post
That pic is my favorite.

We're leaving Tellico Plains today. Stayed at Hunts Motorcycle Lodge, had the best time. When we arrived a SabMag group was having a gathering and embraced all whom rolled in as a member. Invited us to join them in Ohio for the next event.:) Met Jack and family last night while washing clothes. Before I knew it I was drunk. Jack and Lori own the place and you can't go wrong staying just to hang with them.
If your heading north through West Virginia, check out the thread on the Laurel Fork Spring Frolic in the Forest on this regional forum. We have something like 80 duel sport bikes showing up for this annual event, some arriving as early as Tuesday, but it runs through the upcoming weekend.
Kawikazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #36
Philip Kuntz OP
Fleasy Rider

Oddometer: 4,680
We are in a little Motel in Jamestown, TN. 52 is a very nice road with great scenery. It is at 1730ft, and it was getting quite cool up here. I am glad we got a room, because its dropping to 34 here tonight. High of 55 is called for here tomorrow, so it will be a chilly ride in the am.

Sadly, we got no pics on the road today. Haven't uploaded a single pic from the trip so far. Gotta get on that when I have some time.

Someone stopped when I pulled over today, he was in a truck and had been following us for a while. The guy told me that my rear tire was "crazy low" and that the side wall was folding in on itself every time we went through a corner. I thanked him, and got off the bike. I was thinking that I was sure glad I realized that I forgot the tire plug kit last night, and remembered to buy another one this morning.

Well I kicked the tire and it seemed hard. Pulled out my guage, 43lbs. I set it at 41 the morning that we left, 4/17. The sidewalls and tread were not hot to the touch, and we had been steadily riding for a couple of hours. The bike feels fine too. I would expect to feel it fishtailing if the sidewall was folding. I am going to try and find someone to ride behind us through some curves and tell me how it looks. I also thought of having Kim try to shoot video of the side of the tire if she can.

Otherwise all is going well out here. We are really tired from the party last night at the campground. I think we stayed up until 2am.
Philip Kuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #37
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,790
Glad things are going well for you guys so far.

As loaded as you are on that strom, you most definitely be at max psi on that rear tire which is probably 42psi cold on most tires. I tend to ride 42 with myself solo loaded, so I might even fudge that a bit and go a bit higher. Just make sure your gauge isn't reading high for some reason and your pressure is really lower?

Maybe you should have went to the dark side before you left! You'd definitely get some miles out of the rear tire then.

I'm actually getting ready to try it on my strom just for the simple fact that I know the rear tire will last so much longer on long trips and wouldn't have to worry about changing it. So far, all the guys that have done it on the strom forums like it and have positive feedback. The Naysayers are of course those that would never think of even trying that have more than their 2 cents worth of input even though they have no rear world experience to back it up.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:43 PM   #38
Hawk
Bainned

Oddometer: 16,104

I'm just South of jamestown, TN if you need anything, just PM me

John
Old 04-23-2012, 07:34 AM   #39
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Oddometer: 11,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post

I'm just South of jamestown, TN if you need anything, just PM me

John
Hey PK, watch out for this guy Hawk, he is of questionable character... Oh yeah, I see ya'll spent an evening with Flux, so you should be able to tolerate Hawk.

Great trip you guys!

Under construction
Al Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:47 AM   #40
Philip Kuntz OP
Fleasy Rider

I appreciate the offer, but we are going to try and head West. If it gets too cold for us out there, I will give you a holler.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:22 AM   #41
jhunt1x
Old, slow.

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimPossible View Post
I think you and Hardwaregrrl have talked us into stopping in Madison. Just for the chili dog and onion rings. We're suckers for good fried onion rings or fried anything... Okay, we liked the cars as well.:)
The best hotdogs and onion rings in the world are in Tellico, at that little drive-in on the river. You'll just have to come back.

P.S. I hear there's a great place to stay there.
jhunt1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #42
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,794
4-5 months?

too long. won't read
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:54 AM   #43
Philip Kuntz OP
Fleasy Rider

We are at land between the lakes, at least for one more night. At Piney campground, stop by and see us if you are in the area. This is a beautiful place, with a great camp host.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #44
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,087
Glad I found this thread. Have a safe and awesome trip!!
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #45
HuckFarley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
I miss your SPOT device. I have to google the campground to see where you are.
HuckFarley is offline   Reply With Quote