ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2005, 10:34 PM   #16
Nocturnal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,675
The only part I had problems with was the brake test, and evan now I don't know if I was screwing up or if the girl giving it didn't know what she was doing. Finally after four failed attempts and skid marks all over thier newly painted course, she said "Well you only have one more test and if you pass that one your good to go."
Well let us move on I say, I pass, I pay. EOS

Tips:
Small bike - I was told that I was the first rider she had ever seen who didn't hit at least one cone. I think the brake test was next, damn and I had her impressed.
And don't drop it! Went with a friend for his test. He flopped over during the U-turn part, gets up and ask the guy what he has to do to re-take it. He looks at my friend and flatly states "Well first thing you need to do is learn how to ride the damn thing"

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas.K.Findlay through crooked roads
well old motor we are leaving here on a long jump again
Nocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 07:49 AM   #17
storymitchell
Member of the proletariat

Oddometer: 1,230
I took the VA test in 2004 and it was a pain in the ass. I went with a buddy that was on a road king and I was on a /6 and we both barely passed. I agree with the other posters - do it on a 200 to 350 enduro that has been recently tuned up, and listen very carefully to the instructions. I watched someone else take the test that AM, and then ran the course half a dozen times before going inside and getting a test time. The DMV employee that I took the test from was very clearly not going to let anybody pass without dinging them for every minus point she could.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.
storymitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 08:39 AM   #18
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid
Not meaning to single out your friend, but that is exactly the demographic group that has been having the highest fatality rate. Older riders on cruisers. Older riders now have a higher fatality rate than younger guys.
I know/ he knows. every time I come across a stat. article showing re-entry midlife crisis riders having high incidence of crashing, I send it to him.. with a request that he leave me his big rolling tool chest..
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:29 AM   #19
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,183
Coulda had the test I took in MA in 1973. Examiner told me to go around the block. I asked how he was gonna watch me behind the buildings?
His reply,"If you come back alive, you pass."
Old 05-05-2005, 11:40 AM   #20
now it's just Al
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by norton73
Coulda had the test I took in MA in 1973. Examiner told me to go around the block. I asked how he was gonna watch me behind the buildings?
His reply,"If you come back alive, you pass."
That was my test to a T.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:48 AM   #21
Augie
Nincompoop

Oddometer: 27,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubitez
That was my test to a T.
Mine I had to do a figure 8 and circles oo the left and to the right.
Augie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 05:17 AM   #22
Relapse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Yup!

Got my "learner's permit", no test but I'm supposed to ride with another bike, or with a licensed rider as pillion. So I ride to the high school in a neighboring town for the test and pull up as everybody is unloading bikes from trucks and trailers. The examiner calls me over first (as everybody else is gearing up and trying to get their bikes started) I'm thinking "Oh Shit" now I'll get some crap for riding here alone. He looks at my paperwork and says "Did you ride over here from xxxtown?" When I say yes he hands it back with a stamp and says "Go down to the registry and get your license". Yahooo!