User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
vacantstare OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
/7 tank on a 1993 r100r?

I'm thinking the answer is going to be 'no', or 'not without a lot of work', but I am wondering if a /7 tank will fit on any of the last paralever airheads.

Why? only because I like the appearance of the /7 tank better. I could probably grow to love the later style.
vacantstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
KhaoSanMan
Airhead

Oddometer: 574
I'm running what I believe is a /7 police tank on a 92 R, it does have the smaller right (throttle) side to allow for the elctronics beneath. With the help of Chris at Boxer Metal we installed the rear mount and raised the height of the front mount for fitment and cosmetic reasons:

This is still just tacked for mock-up

#3 - BMW Motorrad Mull aus der Hölle
KhaoSanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
vacantstare OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
thanks, good info.

not a trivial, easily reversed install I would say.
vacantstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,275
You need a '85 and later Monolever tank. The bottom is different.

I don't know why you would want to raise 36 pounds of gas any higher than how it comes stock or why you would rest that much weight on such a bracket as the one in the photo.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
You need a '85 and later Monolever tank. The bottom is different.

I don't know why you would want to raise 36 pounds of gas any higher than how it comes stock or why you would rest that much weight on such a bracket as the one in the photo.
You're Mr Custom Fabricator know it all you answer your questions
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
You're Mr Custom Fabricator know it all you answer your questions
Sorry, the picture horrified me so much I didn't see that it was there just for a mockup. An additional explanation would have worked instead of the name calling but that's alright. Surely you can understand with all the grinder marks, the bar stock, and what for? Raising the tank? Plus the OP responded as if that was the only option. There are tanks like what he is looking for that I believe will slip right on. Sorry again!
Old 04-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Sorry, the picture horrified me so much I didn't see that it was there just for a mockup. An additional explanation would have worked instead of the name calling but that's alright. Surely you can understand with all the grinder marks, the bar stock, and what for? Raising the tank? Plus the OP responded as if that was the only option. There are tanks like what he is looking for that I believe will slip right on. Sorry again!
There is no year /7 style tank that will just fit right up to an R100R frame. The pictures you see in this thread show the absolute minimum you have to do to get a post 85 /7 looking tank to fit. Go find another thread.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #8
supershaft
because I can

I forgot about R65 frames having a lower front tank mount a month or so ago as well. Sorry about that vacantstare. A Monolever tank won't slip right on like I thought but that is still the tank you want. IMO there is no reason to run the Mono tank any higher than it comes on a Mono. You will need the back tank mount and drill two holes in your frame per the ETK looking at any Monolever model. You will then have to remove the front tank tube mount and simply install another one a bit higher per all the other airhead models other than the R65 based models. The trick is prepping the mount tube just like BMW did from the factory. Get a thin walled tube the right length. Heat up the ends cherry red and bend the ends somewhat like BMW did and weld it to the frame at the right height. I have seen that tube break off before so be sure and weld it good. I would figure on using a couple of tubes for practice getting those bends right but . . . . Tubing is cheap. A bit of a project but very doable. Of course, a Mono to look at and compare is going to be a huge help! Good luck!

You might not have to do all that with the front mount tube. It all depends on how much further forward a straight round tube puts the tank but the Mono's do have that modified tube. Remember that you not only have to mind all that with the rear mount but also the seat fitment as well.

supershaft screwed with this post 04-16-2012 at 11:04 PM
Old 04-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
Alfons
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Hi,

a /7 tank won't slip onto the R 100R, it is either the mono tank that fits, which will require modified tank mounts, or the R 45/65 tank which does slip onto the R 100R frame, with the R 100R front tank mount being the proper height and the clamp of the R 100R tank at the rear mount. Its looks are different, but it does make the bike look a lot leaner.

greetings from Germany

Alfons
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote