Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #61
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
And yet I LOVE my N43E and wear it far more than my EXO900. Go figure.

Seriously. If you get a chance try one. You will then experience the why.
The suspense is killing me.

Why?!

I mean, does it feel like your head is wrapped in supple breasts? Then, yeah, I'd understand it!
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #62
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
The suspense is killing me.

Why?!

I mean, does it feel like your head is wrapped in supple breasts? Then, yeah, I'd understand it!
No. No Boobies. It is the weight reduction, field of vision and air flow.

(I am using my EXO 900 today... Still like it)
Old 04-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #63
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,098
DS style, not because of the looks of it, but for the simple reason of getting sun shade from the peak. I seem to be doing lot of riding, when the sun is low and few times i've had to stop and wait for that bright ball to set. I've got a Shoei Hornet, the peak adjustment is just shit house, useless the way it sits high and way back. I fixed it by drilling an extra hole back where the adjustment slot ends, and now the peak come's over an inch more forward, giving good shade. It's amazing company size of Shoei doesnt go out and find out what the riders want from their helmet
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #64
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
No. No Boobies. It is the weight reduction, field of vision and air flow.

(I am using my EXO 900 today... Still like it)
Granted, I will concede that it has to weight less, and the size of the shield made me think the field of vision might be better.

I'd still rather have breasts on top of my head though. (If any single female Inmates want to help me out with that, I'd cook you chicken quesadillas...)

---

And the different fits for long-oval vs. round heads doesn't bother you? I pretty much ended up with my EXO-900 because it actually was more of a long-oval than anything the local Cycle Gear shop had that was under $500.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #65
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
No offense, but I can't believe anyone would look at that helmet and say to themselves - "Yeah, that's what I want!"

Pieces / parts that come off on a face shield are so... 1970.

Removable chin-bars... again, those are really 1970, even if pieces/parts to lose / screw up / fumble with to get a face shield off really were used through the 1980's.

Modular helmet = want that chin bar? Yes? Flip it down while riding. Don't want it? Flip it up while riding, no parts to store, stop for, etc.

The Nolan is answering questions no-one is asking save for "What helmets will fit a round head?"

Granted, it has that "Transformer" capability of taking off the front that I won't even ever use in my Scorpion, but the comical thing is that the Nolan is limited to that capability. For $135 to $160, well, ... OK, for that price, if that's what they go for, the simpleness and limitations could be accepted for riders wanting two helmets in one. If it even approaches the better modular prices, though, in my humble opinion it would seem a rip-off.

I'm sure I must be missing some features if sane men think it is an improvement over everything else currently offered... I'll have to take a good look at one the next time I'm at a Cycle Gear store.
I finally decided that the n43e is what I am looking for and just ordered one. Why?

I have a Nolan n102, I like the functionality of a modular as I wear glasses, and like the ability to have an open face when riding in hot weather, and off pavement.
The problem is it sucks to ride with it open at speeds over 20 mph or on rough surfaces because it has so much aerodynamic drag, and feels off balance, also snags tree branches when off road. Another issue is that with it closed, field of view is somewhat limited.

with the n43e's design, I can have the full face protection and functionality of a modular even if the removable chin bar isn't quite as convenient, but that is made up for with a better field of view. With the chin bar removed it has the field of view and openness of a open modular without the modular section sticking up.
Gotta say I really like the open face with a full coverage visor option, kinda like the old school bell with a full coverage shield

Yeah, I agree that Nolan needs to get up to speed with their visor retention system, but to have their ratcheting chin strap I am more than happy to make the compromise, it's the greatest feature I have ever had on a helmet, D-ring chin straps suck the big one.

I have no idea if I will like the open visorless peak option, I'll get a clear slide down visor and give it a try.

I checked out the EXO-900 thinking it was what I wanted, but I wasn't impressed with the quality, hated the fit (and it's really ugly) where as the Nolan fit me like a glove and is obviously much better quality.
I know there are much better modular helmets available, I tried them all at the bike show, but I cant and won't shell out $600 to $800 for a helmet.

I appreciate the multi function helmet concept.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #66
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Picked up an XD3 last summer. Online for $400. No issues at all with buffeting at any speed. The visor will pull at 80mph when looking over your shoulder. I tilt it down most the time. Up for off road. I really like the visor, it's great when you have to ride west late in the day. The vents are many. The shield is not curved enough to distort or show rainbows from polarized sunglasses. It has some air leakage on one side of the shield.

You can run the visor only with goggles, or shield only with no visor if you're doing salt flat runs.

A large fit me tight and broke in perfectly. More of an oval than round like other arai helmets. I'm a 7-1/4-7-3/8 hat size I think. It's quite solid, and feels like it would fare better than a cheaper plastic helmet in an impact.

Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #67
DigDig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
I have one on the new Nolan N104s and I'm pretty impressed so far. To start it's Nolan that will fit more of a neutral head, even slightly long head. The visor on it is huge and field of vision is amazing. So much so that we I first got it I kept reaching up to flip the face down when it was already down. The sun visor works well with good coverage so you don't get as much bright light seepage under it when it's down. The ratchet type buckle is nice too. Quite (enough) at speed and good ventilation. They also put a switch on it to lock the face in the up position in case you were in a situation where you didnt want it to fall down by accident. Nice improvements ove the N103.

“It was a woman who drove me to drink, but I never wrote to thank her.” W.C. Fields
DigDig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #68
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,668
I have a dirt helmet for riding dirt, or whenever I'm on a dual sport really. I can't keep the XR on the road very well, I get curious whenever I see a dirt trail. Otherwise I have a full face Shoei that is due to be replaced (7 years old) and a 3/4 bell that I wear sometimes when it's hot out and I'm not going far or fast.

I think I want a modular but I haven't made up my mind about the decreased protection level. Either way it's time to replace the Shoei with something. I replaced it once already, but my girlfriend went sliding down the road wearing the replacement when she wrecked her bike. Good thing she had it on, the chin bar took most of the impact, face shield was scratched all the way across, and a little bit of paint missing directly on the back of it.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #69
Rodzilla
Horny as Hell

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
I finally decided that the n43e is what I am looking for and just ordered one. Why?

I have a Nolan n102, I like the functionality of a modular as I wear glasses, and like the ability to have an open face when riding in hot weather, and off pavement.
The problem is it sucks to ride with it open at speeds over 20 mph or on rough surfaces because it has so much aerodynamic drag, and feels off balance, also snags tree branches when off road. Another issue is that with it closed, field of view is somewhat limited.

with the n43e's design, I can have the full face protection and functionality of a modular even if the removable chin bar isn't quite as convenient, but that is made up for with a better field of view. With the chin bar removed it has the field of view and openness of a open modular without the modular section sticking up.
Gotta say I really like the open face with a full coverage visor option, kinda like the old school bell with a full coverage shield

Yeah, I agree that Nolan needs to get up to speed with their visor retention system, but to have their ratcheting chin strap I am more than happy to make the compromise, it's the greatest feature I have ever had on a helmet, D-ring chin straps suck the big one.

I have no idea if I will like the open visorless peak option, I'll get a clear slide down visor and give it a try.

I checked out the EXO-900 thinking it was what I wanted, but I wasn't impressed with the quality, hated the fit (and it's really ugly) where as the Nolan fit me like a glove and is obviously much better quality.
I know there are much better modular helmets available, I tried them all at the bike show, but I cant and won't shell out $600 to $800 for a helmet.

I appreciate the multi function helmet concept.

I just picked up an N43e as well, and honestly, I agree with the above statements. going from a traditional "modular" (N103) the 43 is lighter, has a better (much) field of view, more room between the chin bar and your lips/face for a helmet comm/bluetooth. The 43 is noticeably lighter as well.

I understand the thought about being able to flip up/down while riding thing, but the opening on the 43 is SO much larger than on a traditional modular, I don't see the need to flip up/down to occur as much as a "narrow" opening helmet.

The only down side so far is the flip down sun shade does not seem to drop as far on the 43 as the 103.

Time will tell, but it seems to be a winner so far.
Certified SAE J1287 sound tester
Rodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #70
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle View Post
You got a picture of the elusive Salmon Falls Rhino. Gotta watch out for those. If they run out in front of you on the road, you're toast.
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #71
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
I have a dirt helmet for riding dirt, or whenever I'm on a dual sport really. I can't keep the XR on the road very well, I get curious whenever I see a dirt trail. Otherwise I have a full face Shoei that is due to be replaced (7 years old) and a 3/4 bell that I wear sometimes when it's hot out and I'm not going far or fast.

I think I want a modular but I haven't made up my mind about the decreased protection level. Either way it's time to replace the Shoei with something. I replaced it once already, but my girlfriend went sliding down the road wearing the replacement when she wrecked her bike. Good thing she had it on, the chin bar took most of the impact, face shield was scratched all the way across, and a little bit of paint missing directly on the back of it.
It's always a compromise between structural integrity and the convenience of being able to open up the helmet for glasses, drink of water, cursing at the person texting who just changed lanes and almost hit you, etc. The decrease in protection (in reality) is probably a very small factor, statistically speaking.

Wearing a Hit Air vest would probably be a lot more important than the difference between a modular and fixed FF helmet.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #72
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodzilla View Post
I just picked up an N43e as well, and honestly, I agree with the above statements. going from a traditional "modular" (N103) the 43 is lighter, has a better (much) field of view, more room between the chin bar and your lips/face for a helmet comm/bluetooth. The 43 is noticeably lighter as well.

I understand the thought about being able to flip up/down while riding thing, but the opening on the 43 is SO much larger than on a traditional modular, I don't see the need to flip up/down to occur as much as a "narrow" opening helmet.

The only down side so far is the flip down sun shade does not seem to drop as far on the 43 as the 103.

Time will tell, but it seems to be a winner so far.
It's good to hear another positive real world opinion of the n43e. My opinions so far are based on the short time I wore one at the bike show. One thing for sure is I won't miss the external shade visor that self deployed at higher speeds.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #73
blues
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
Currently using a Shoei Hornet and Qwest. Prefer the Hornet. Thinking hard about a Nolan 43e and may go for the "Air" version which has to be ordered from Europe.

I like a lot of air around my face and a large eye port so this seems like a logical next move for Adventure riding.
blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #74
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISdood View Post

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:39 AM   #75
Mat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Only wore the Shoei X1100 once, but it seemed to be the perfect street helmet. Excellent ventilation, really nice visor that has precise "snaps", option to have it cracked open all around with a lever, or have it pulled tight against the seal otherwise.

It is also comfortable.

But then I took the Hornet and never regretted that decision. It was on sale, so money was also a factor between the two.

The two things I don't like about the Hornet are the wobbly shield and the "sun shade" visor. The shield can't be helped when it's so big, so that is a good trade-off for the large eye port. The visor, well... At least the chin bar seems to be the main dragging factor when looking around while riding fast and not the visor.

Why no one built an aftermarket solution for that visor is a mystery. I would bet that at least half of Hornet owners would buy it.