Old 04-17-2012, 12:53 AM   #1
itsgunnahurt OP
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,828
2012 GS Safari

Ballina - Bathurst
16-21 September 2012
Bookings for GS Safari 2012 will open on the Tuesday 1st May

It looks like it's on again, hopefully without the issues encountered last year.

Let's all look after ourselves this time, ok?

Who's in?

Old 04-18-2012, 03:33 AM   #2
Billy Pilgrim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
I'd like to but I'm taking off for a 2 month coastal lap from May 19 to mid July.
I'll probably book the safari on May 1, do the lap and then see what is happening on all the relevant fronts (bike, job, domestic, physical, motivation) when I get back.

Despite and probably because of all the 'adventures' last year I'm keen to do the safari again this year.
Billy Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:30 AM   #3
gswadd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
I'll be there. Already had the conversation with the missus. Looking forward to some hillclimbs and creek crossings...
gswadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
itsgunnahurt OP
Gravity Enhanced!

Registration Now Open

http://www.bmwsafari.com/index/gs-safari

2012 GS SAFARI

16 - 21 September 2012

Ballina - Bathurst

Registration Now Open

The 2012 BMW GS Safari will set out from Ballina in the Northern Rivers region of NSW on Sunday September 16 and head off into The Great Dividing Range for an off-road GS odyssey that will conclude in Bathurst on Friday September 21.
From the coast at Ballina, the BMW GS Safari will zig and zag the Great Dividing Range. Riders will receive daily route sheets, GPS details and even route marking arrows to show the way. There will be full technical support along the way in case of mechanical or other problems.
The scenery will be ever changing, as will the tracks. Towering eucalypt and rain forests with lush vegetation through to open farmland with many iconic and historic towns and locations along the way. For BMW GS riders it will be heaven on a stick.
We are once again planning a 2 day pre-Safari off road rider training course, so this will run in the 2 days just prior to the event. Further details on rider training will be released in due course.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:40 AM   #5
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,039
Thumb "Pre-GS Safari" off road training course... nothing like planning ahead, is there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsgunnahurt View Post
We are once again planning a 2 day pre-Safari off road rider training course, so this will run in the 2 days just prior to the event. Further details on rider training will be released in due course.
Now THERE's a brilliant pre-emptive initiative...

A tad reminiscent of the first aid course's they held on the boats for the lad's headed of to the Gallipoli picnic races... back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:36 AM   #6
itsgunnahurt OP
Gravity Enhanced!

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Now THERE's a brilliant pre-emptive initiative...

A tad reminiscent of the first aid course's they held on the boats for the lad's headed of to the Gallipoli picnic races... back in the day.
I wonder if the course will provide advice on erection problems caused by all the BMW's in the near vicinity!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:29 AM   #7
tvan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Great, Now to book in, leave already arranged.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:51 AM   #8
TimbobSA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Booked and paid - any South Aussies going over - normally I go solo- Something about not playing well with others but the potential route has me hooked. Bit worried though Lamb Chop was a bit too quick to say yes!!!!

Old 05-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #9
shedmarket
Chris

Oddometer: 448
2012 BMW GS Safari Rally - Who Else Is Going?

The BMW GS Safari Rally is on again from 16th to the 21st September (details here - http://www.bmwsafari.com/index/gs-safari).

I have registered, anyone else from here thinking of going?
shedmarket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #10
itsgunnahurt OP
Gravity Enhanced!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedmarket View Post
The BMW GS Safari Rally is on again from 16th to the 21st September (details here - http://www.bmwsafari.com/index/gs-safari).

A few:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782601

Old 05-21-2012, 11:15 PM   #11
shedmarket
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsgunnahurt View Post
Thanks for that, I did not see that thread start. Sorry for the duplication. Will see you there.

Cheers
Old 05-27-2012, 07:51 PM   #12
shedmarket
Chris

In the details of the event it advises that no hard panniers are allowed on the bikes, only a soft tank and/or tail bag. I understand the reasoning behind this is they want individual riders to be carrying the least amount of weight on the bikes for ease of handling, which is understandable.

My concern is the top box on my bike normally holds a full first aid kit, extra bandages (in case), spare visor and goggles, baby wipes (best visor cleaner there is apart form more obvious uses) and a jumper/jacket liner in winter. On the outside are fitted two tool tubes, one with tool kt, the other with tyre pump. No real weight and I ride with this at all times as I feel it is the minimum you should have with you when off the beaten track. It is only if on a long trip and there is no back up vehicle to carry some gear that more is fitted into that box.

Now if they enforce the no hard pannier rule I will fit a mates Ventura rear bag and carry all this stuff anyway. My main question I suppose does anyone know if is there common sense used in the scrutineering or is it a, "that's it" mentality?

Not trying to cause problems of rifts, this is my first BMW organised rallyso trying to get a feel for their mindset. Some organisers are more flexible than others and it is best to know before getting to the start line.

Cheers
Old 05-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #13
itsgunnahurt OP
Gravity Enhanced!

Quote:
In the details of the event it advises that no hard panniers are allowed on the bikes, only a soft tank and/or tail bag. I understand the reasoning behind this is they want individual riders to be carrying the least amount of weight on the bikes for ease of handling, which is understandable.

My concern is the top box on my bike normally holds a full first aid kit, extra bandages (in case), spare visor and goggles, baby wipes (best visor cleaner there is apart form more obvious uses) and a jumper/jacket liner in winter. On the outside are fitted two tool tubes, one with tool kt, the other with tyre pump. No real weight and I ride with this at all times as I feel it is the minimum you should have with you when off the beaten track. It is only if on a long trip and there is no back up vehicle to carry some gear that more is fitted into that box.

Now if they enforce the no hard pannier rule I will fit a mates Ventura rear bag and carry all this stuff anyway. My main question I suppose does anyone know if is there common sense used in the scrutineering or is it a, "that's it" mentality?

Not trying to cause problems of rifts, this is my first BMW organised rallyso trying to get a feel for their mindset. Some organisers are more flexible than others and it is best to know before getting to the start line.

Cheers
Last year they organised a truck to carry your get each day, hopefully they will do this again this year.
At the first day lunch stop, there was a lot of bit of broken panniers, top boxes, pannier frames. If guys had put their stuff on the truck, instead of carrying everything, there would have been a lot less broken bits.

The "scrutineering" was done a couple of weeks before the start, at your local stealership. Basically they checked on various bits of your bike (brakes, tyres, suspension etc).

Most of what you just listed you carry would fit into a soft bag. Infact I carried something similar last year, I had a tank bag and a small tail bag on the rear. All my other junk (hard panniers, tent, sleeping gear) was in the truck.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #14
Beefhooked
Old Fart

Oddometer: 89
Quote:

I`m in, just paid the entry. I`m number 125, how many usually show for this doo?

R1100GS
R100GSPD sold
72 H2 2 stroke
RGV XTZ Project 4 sale
Beefhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:34 PM   #15
lout
AYCIC

Oddometer: 736
I'll be there just to keep an eye on Aquaman

TASMANIA - Explore the corruption.

Orange paint and 37 clicks of suspension adjustment doesn't make up for being a shit rider :j Mo

It's not that I don't believe in God..I just believe in one less God than you.

Monsanto - The evil that keeps on growing
lout is offline   Reply With Quote