User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 05:04 PM   #211
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Anyway i was reading this thread and I had a question regarding the GS safari

Did anyone do the safari two-up? Id love to do this but Id also love to bring my fiance along as she would love it..
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #212
Quirky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post

Did anyone do the safari two-up? Id love to do this but Id also love to bring my fiance along as she would love it..

Hi speedracer

Organisers won't allow for 2-up on GS safari's. This years event would have been easy 2-up and me and my fiance would also love it, but also think it's a fair call from the organisers to say no. IMO Last years event (Broken Hill to Port Lincoln) 2-up would be a no freaking way in my book.
Consider some or lots of the participants, have never been off-road, some have but it was 30 years ago (eg TY175 or something), some just not fit enough for the job and some just spend a fortune on a 200 odd kg dirt bike that can take them on an adventure because Charlie & Ewan did it.
Evidence was this year Skid marks straight off corners and flattened scrub in more than a few places A bike ended up in a fence, one in a gully, 2 hit a rock wall. Hope everyone is well and experienced riders still stuff up, but pretty sure ya don't want this crowd 2-up.

Cheers,

Greg
Old 11-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #213
itsgunnahurt OP
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,829
Thumb

Quote:
After riding both, I can confidently say I like the F800 better, the 1200gsa is one Id like to hire, but the F800 is one id like to own..
It was interesting to hear the different opinions after each of the sessions. Especially true for the non BM owners.
For me, it's hard to walk away from the boxer, always loved them, even before I ever got to ride one. It's taken me a couple of years to make a decision and the 800 was on the list up until about a month ago.
Looks like BM have covered most of their bases with the range. I thought the 700 would be a dud, but some guys came away raving about them, guessing the slightly less power (than the 800) and lower seat makes a hell of a difference!
Old 11-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #214
itsgunnahurt OP
Gravity Enhanced!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky View Post
Hi speedracer

Organisers won't allow for 2-up on GS safari's. This years event would have been easy 2-up and me and my fiance would also love it, but also think it's a fair call from the organisers to say no. IMO Last years event (Broken Hill to Port Lincoln) 2-up would be a no freaking way in my book.
Consider some or lots of the participants, have never been off-road, some have but it was 30 years ago (eg TY175 or something), some just not fit enough for the job and some just spend a fortune on a 200 odd kg dirt bike that can take them on an adventure because Charlie & Ewan did it.
Evidence was this year Skid marks straight off corners and flattened scrub in more than a few places A bike ended up in a fence, one in a gully, 2 hit a rock wall. Hope everyone is well and experienced riders still stuff up, but pretty sure ya don't want this crowd 2-up.

Cheers,

Greg
As Quirky said, this year, might have been ok 2 up, but last year was entirely different. Much in the same way guys trying to tackle deep sand on fully laden bikes for what ever reason. It was just crazy. I don't blame to organisers for putting on a luggage truck.
Sadly, there is the lowest common denominator at work here. Some of the guys were fast but directional control was deficient.

There were heaps of straight lines going into various corners, one I saw ended at a big rock. Can you say "target fixated"? I think the guy was ok, slight damage but he had highway pegs which pushed to rocker cover out of alignment and oil leaked out.

I've heard the TS safari is coming up soon and they allow 2 up on that. No idea what this is like, never been on one. At this stage, I'm not planning on going, but might "drop in" one night.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #215
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Cheers,
Greg
Hey Greg,

Yeah I heard they were going to make this years rally pretty tame compared to the last because of the amount of accidents and the poor guy passing away..

I thought there would be one pack who would be blasting off 1000kmh then the second pack would just cruise through it, which would be a good pack to be in while 2 up.. but certainly fair enough for the organisers behalf..

Cheers,
Troy
Old 11-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #216
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsgunnahurt View Post
I've heard the TS safari is coming up soon and they allow 2 up on that. No idea what this is like, never been on one. At this stage, I'm not planning on going, but might "drop in" one night.
Yeah ive never planned on going on a TS one.. i would assume it would be full of s1000's which the f650/800 would hardly keep up.. But never the less, it wouldn't be too bad to convince the fiance to head along if she was invited ;)

might be an option.. cheers :)
Old 11-29-2012, 09:26 PM   #217
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
It was interesting to hear the different opinions after each of the sessions. Especially true for the non BM owners.
For me, it's hard to walk away from the boxer, always loved them, even before I ever got to ride one. It's taken me a couple of years to make a decision and the 800 was on the list up until about a month ago.
Looks like BM have covered most of their bases with the range. I thought the 700 would be a dud, but some guys came away raving about them, guessing the slightly less power (than the 800) and lower seat makes a hell of a difference!
Yeah having a f650 which I changed the front sproket to a 15 tooth, i didnt really notice any difference in power between the f650 n f800, but when i took the f650 in for a service about a month ago, i took the new version out for a spin n it felt slow.. so i might keep the 15 tooth sproket for the f800 hehe..
Old 11-29-2012, 09:48 PM   #218
Quirky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Yeah Ive never planned on going on a TS one.. i would assume it would be full of s1000's which the f650/800 would hardly keep up.. But never the less, it wouldn't be too bad to convince the fiance to head along if she was invited ;)

Half the mob will be on GS's anyways, well seemed like that this year and lots of familiar faces from GS safari's No pressure to go fast, some smaller distance options will be good for a rest if needed. As long as that doesn't give BMW more time to harass us, the already happy BMW paying customers, with more marketing garbage than is bearable. IMO- This years GS safari was pushing a few boundaries that wasn't totally welcomed. Anyone need another photo of Miles?
First ride of a F700GS for me was yesterday 2-up. My fiance's new bike. Wow, it's so smooth on rough roads, handled the 2 of us great. So we'll be attending on a bike each.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #219
itsgunnahurt OP
Gravity Enhanced!

Quote:
Yeah ive never planned on going on a TS one.. i would assume it would be full of s1000's which the f650/800 would hardly keep up.. But never the less, it wouldn't be too bad to convince the fiance to head along if she was invited ;)

It's not a race... no prize for getting to the end of the day first... who cares how fast you can p*ss into the wind?
While I haven't actually been on one, i've been told it is still a good trip.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #220
itsgunnahurt OP
Gravity Enhanced!

Quote:
Half the mob will be on GS's anyways, well seemed like that this year and lots of familiar faces from GS safari's No pressure to go fast, some smaller distance options will be good for a rest if needed. As long as that doesn't give BMW more time to harass us, the already happy BMW paying customers, with more marketing garbage than is bearable. IMO- This years GS safari was pushing a few boundaries that wasn't totally welcomed. Anyone need another photo of Miles?
First ride of a F700GS for me was yesterday 2-up. My fiance's new bike. Wow, it's so smooth on rough roads, handled the 2 of us great. So we'll be attending on a bike each.
Miles who?

BTW, you're welcome to drop in on the way through (there or back)...
Old 11-30-2012, 12:48 AM   #221
STROM-CRF450X-990SMT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
TS Safari do have quite a few on GS and I have known them to offer some little dirt detours for those that want to do so on each day's route. Mostly it is RTs, LTs, K bikes etc.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #222
gswadd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by STROM-CRF450X-990SMT View Post
TS Safari do have quite a few on GS and I have known them to offer some little dirt detours for those that want to do so on each day's route. Mostly it is RTs, LTs, K bikes etc.
Actually, at the last one I believe the GS's held the majority. Just goes to show what a great all-rounder they are.
gswadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #223
itsgunnahurt OP
Gravity Enhanced!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gswadd View Post
Actually, at the last one I believe the GS's held the majority. Just goes to show what a great all-rounder they are.
They must be good...
I'm picking up a Triple Black GSA on Friday (fingers crossed)
Old 12-03-2012, 03:35 AM   #224
gswadd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
They must be good...
I'm picking up a Triple Black GSA on Friday (fingers crossed)
Too cool. Welcome to the 1200 club.
gswadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:53 AM   #225
mudmonster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Best all round motorcycle ever made IMHO .yeh that will ruffle a few feathers i recon.
mudmonster is offline   Reply With Quote