Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #16
CJL00
What's The Rush?

Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsgunnahurt View Post
Last year they organised a truck to carry your get each day, hopefully they will do this again this year.
At the first day lunch stop, there was a lot of bit of broken panniers, top boxes, pannier frames. If guys had put their stuff on the truck, instead of carrying everything, there would have been a lot less broken bits.

The "scrutineering" was done a couple of weeks before the start, at your local stealership. Basically they checked on various bits of your bike (brakes, tyres, suspension etc).

Most of what you just listed you carry would fit into a soft bag. Infact I carried something similar last year, I had a tank bag and a small tail bag on the rear. All my other junk (hard panniers, tent, sleeping gear) was in the truck.
I am getting a little concerned about some aspects of this trip, mainly that there are bugger all details about it available as yet. My "local" dealer is a boring 2 hour ride in either direction, something I don't like doing at service time let alone for something like this.

Normally it would not worry me but if I decide it is all too hard and regimented (the organisation, not the actual riding) and want to pull out, you do not get all of your $500 (odd) back unless you cancel more than 90 days from the event. At the going rate we will know nothing about the details until well inside that. My quick calculation means after June 18, no full refund so if there are not a lot more details out by then I will skip this one.

I can always find out the roads taken and I can easily do the same trip another time as luckily they are all close enough to be called local. Pity, sounded like fun.
CJL00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:21 AM   #17
Looking Around
Traveller

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by shedmarket View Post
I am getting a little concerned about some aspects of this trip, mainly that there are bugger all details about it available as yet. My "local" dealer is a boring 2 hour ride in either direction, something I don't like doing at service time let alone for something like this.

Normally it would not worry me but if I decide it is all too hard and regimented (the organisation, not the actual riding) and want to pull out, you do not get all of your $500 (odd) back unless you cancel more than 90 days from the event. At the going rate we will know nothing about the details until well inside that. My quick calculation means after June 18, no full refund so if there are not a lot more details out by then I will skip this one.

I can always find out the roads taken and I can easily do the same trip another time as luckily they are all close enough to be called local. Pity, sounded like fun.

You are pretty spot on Chris and from recent experiences the details are marked by a lot of promises. Don't forget to add the accommodation costs to your $500 as it is now mandatory to use the organisers' expensive accommodation arrangements. All together, too dear for me this year.

Looking Around screwed with this post 06-02-2012 at 05:23 AM
Looking Around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:17 AM   #18
tvan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
G'day Everyone,

I'm booked, lovely wife paid the registration.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:13 PM   #19
CJL00
What's The Rush?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking Around View Post
You are pretty spot on Chris and from recent experiences the details are marked by a lot of promises. Don't forget to add the accommodation costs to your $500 as it is now mandatory to use the organisors' expensive accommodation arrangements. All together, too dear for me this year.
I have spoken to the organisers regarding accommodation, they will have a range of options each night from camping sites to the best available in the town so there will be some choice. I was also led to believe you could organise your own accommodation, if you could find something that is
Old 06-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #20
Looking Around
Traveller

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by shedmarket View Post
I have spoken to the organisers regarding accommodation, they will have a range of options each night from camping sites to the best available in the town so there will be some choice. I was also led to believe you could organise your own accommodation, if you could find something that is
Last year, a lot of the local accommodation in small towns was booked up and therefore the price goes up. We stayed in Dongas last year that normally go for two people $80 per night and paid $230 per night. Price included evening meal and breakfast. Had to ride 30k in the dark for the evening meal - not much chop, but brekky was excellent but wasn’t worth anywhere near $150 for two people per day. Wonder who benefited? Not the rider.

Considering all of the above, had a ball with excellent riding for 3 days of dirt - you will too - hope you get 5 days in.

Also, the printed info I read on this years GS safari states that booking accommodation through the organisation is mandatory.
Looking Around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #21
TOKman61
Tok61

Oddometer: 17
Signed up number 024

Reckon it was the best way for the truck to take the gear, allowed you to focus on the bike and the road and have more fun.

Probably going to be a bit more demanding on the rules this year (maybe they will have a few?) after the debacle last year, thats if they learned anything from last year?

Anyone heading out from the Northern Rivers NSW?
TOKman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:41 AM   #22
TimbobSA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
I'm gettin nervous...... and it has nothing to do with the ride!
Old 06-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #23
CJL00
What's The Rush?

Their cancellation policy is;

In case of withdrawal, a cancellation fee is payable on registration fee as follows:

0% if 91 days or greater notice is given prior to the commencement of the event
75% if 61-90 days notice is given prior to the commencement of the event
50% if 31-60 days notice is given prior to the commencement of the event
100% if 30 days or less notice is given prior to the commencement of the event.

Currently, according to their website, there are 95 days to go. In my case I will cancel on Thursday if there is no more information about the trip available.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:06 AM   #24
TimbobSA
Adventurer

Shed- spot on I'm a trusting soul to a point (and I am a real estate agent) but I think the info needs to be with us before the cancellation rebates kick in. I have been assured all is good with the world
but its my $500+ that they are playing with
Old 06-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #25
itsgunnahurt OP
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking Around View Post
Last year, a lot of the local accommodation in small towns was booked up and therefore the price goes up. We stayed in Dongas last year that normally go for two people $80 per night and paid $230 per night. Price included evening meal and breakfast. Had to ride 30k in the dark for the evening meal - not much chop, but brekky was excellent but wasn’t worth anywhere near $150 for two people per day. Wonder who benefited? Not the rider.

Considering all of the above, had a ball with excellent riding for 3 days of dirt - you will too - hope you get 5 days in.

Also, the printed info I read on this years GS safari states that booking accommodation through the organisation is mandatory.
I'm not sure what the cabins and rooms were like, but I camped each night, all up I paid about $360, which included dinner each night, lunch most days and breakfast on all but the last day.
Granted, it may have been a little on the high side, but It saved me the effort of hunting round looking for accomodation elsewhere. I recall that on one night, I could only book a cabin, not what I wanted. I called the organisers and got it sorted.
I guess each makes our own choice as to what they want to do and what they think it is worth.

itsgunnahurt screwed with this post 06-12-2012 at 07:12 AM Reason: last last day? wtf was I thinking? :D
itsgunnahurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #26
CJL00
What's The Rush?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsgunnahurt View Post
I'm not sure what the cabins and rooms were like, but I camped each night, all up I paid about $360, which included dinner each night, lunch most days and breakfast on all but the last day.
Granted, it may have been a little on the high side, but It saved me the effort of hunting round looking for accomodation elsewhere. I recall that on one night, I could only book a cabin, not what I wanted. I called the organisers and got it sorted.
I guess each makes our own choice as to what they want to do and what they think it is worth.
I am hopeful that what is offered is value for money and would even be OK with a little over the top, the people running this should be fairly remunerated for their efforts in organising it all.

I am not happy that you are expected to pay in full at the time of registering and there are no details other than a start and end point and dates. If and when the other details arrive will almost definately be after the point where a full refund is not available, that part is blatantly rude.

When you receive the details you should have a number of days to cancel, with a full refund, if you are not comfortable with any of those details. Surely that is fair? As it is not looking like that is the case I will be cancelling and seeking a full refund before the 91 days. Pity, in theory it looked like a good trip.

Update: I decide not to wait until tomorrow so cancelled today. No problems with the refund in full, except for the $50.00 administration fee they withheld. My advice to anyone thinking of registering, wait until all the details are available so you can make a fully informed decision. My advice to the organisers, which I have sent to them directly, you should not take money for the registration until you have finalised al of the details.

CJL00 screwed with this post 06-12-2012 at 07:41 PM Reason: Updated information
Old 06-12-2012, 10:52 PM   #27
Stumblebike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
I have just been talking to the organisers and they say that all the information will be release on Monday. Rider training, Accom, bike transport etc. and there is still 50 spots left open on the ride at this stage. Lets see what comes
It will be posted on the web and possibly emailed out.

"Time flies when having fun" I think this day will never end.
Stumblebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:05 AM   #28
Ducatista
Smiffy's Brother

Oddometer: 60
I'm going, booked etc

I think this the 6th GS Safari?

1. the one that left from Wiseman's Ferry (yep, did that one)
2. Cape York (nup)
3. Jindabyne and north-east Vic (yep)
4. Tassie (nup, but I wish I'd done this one)
5. Broken Hill and SA (yep)

and this is number 6. Is that right?

SS
Ducatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:46 AM   #29
lurkin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatista View Post
I think this the 6th GS Safari?

1. the one that left from Wiseman's Ferry (yep, did that one)
2. Cape York (nup)
3. Jindabyne and north-east Vic (yep)
4. Tassie (nup, but I wish I'd done this one)
5. Broken Hill and SA (yep)

and this is number 6. Is that right?

SS

Do they let Ducs do it for the novelty factor?????????
Old 06-20-2012, 03:04 AM   #30
TimbobSA
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblebike View Post
I have just been talking to the organisers and they say that all the information will be release on Monday
It will be posted on the web and possibly emailed out.
Guess they ment next Monday or maybe the Monday after that.....