Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #31
shedmarket
Chris

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimbobSA View Post
Guess they ment next Monday or maybe the Monday after that.....
When I cancelled and advised them it was mainly due to the lack of information, or more the fact there wasn't any, in the email reply was these two paragraphs,

"I'm actually preparing the next news update at the moment. The reason it hasn't been sent out earlier as I needed the details to be confirmed first. Things like the pricing for the accommmodation, bike transport, rider training, etc.

We have also been working on the new website which will have all of the information which is generally in the emails sent out added on the website so that the information can be accessed by anyone at any time."

I received this on the 13th, must be one hell of an email.
shedmarket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:06 AM   #32
itsgunnahurt OP
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by shedmarket View Post
When I cancelled and advised them it was mainly due to the lack of information, or more the fact there wasn't any, in the email reply was these two paragraphs,

"I'm actually preparing the next news update at the moment. The reason it hasn't been sent out earlier as I needed the details to be confirmed first. Things like the pricing for the accommmodation, bike transport, rider training, etc.

We have also been working on the new website which will have all of the information which is generally in the emails sent out added on the website so that the information can be accessed by anyone at any time."

I received this on the 13th, must be one hell of an email.
Well I guess the answer to your question came out today...

Quote:
The end destination has changed from Bathurst to Foster. Why? Originally we advised the end destination for this year’s GS Safari would be Bathurst. After pre-running the proposed route, one of the roads we had planned to take is closed and not likely to re-open before we get there. Also, the roads coming into Bathurst weren’t interesting enough so we looked for better options
So we have made the decision to finish the 2012 GS Safari in Foster on NSW mid north coast. Our hope is that when the GS Safari finishes up in September you’ll have a beer in your hand reflecting on a great weeks riding with some great mates.
Maybe that explains the delay in information.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #33
shedmarket
Chris

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsgunnahurt View Post
Well I guess the answer to your question came out today...
This answers very little really other than the end destination has changed and it will be mid July before any real information about accomodation is available. There was also some mention you are limited to two panniers in the support vehicle otherwise you would have to pay extra, I didn't see that written anywhere before, I wonder what else is unkown? Things like the scrutineering of your bike at some stage before the event has been mentioned on previous rallies but nothing as yet for this one. All very vague.

I do want to make this clear, if I was still registered to go I couldn't care less if the information only came out a week before the event, I would and still am interested in participating.

My main gripe is the cancellation policy and more particularly the amounts held back based on when you cancel. Up until all the information is released (and I mean all of it), you should be able to get a full refund, minus a minimal fee of some sort if need be, for around a week from this date.

When you book any other type of accomodation or holiday your credit card details are taken as a form of holding deposit, you are then charged either on check-in/out or on confirmation of all details. If you do not turn up and do not cancel you are liable for the charges, which is totally fair. If you do cancel because some of the details change you are entitled to cancel at no charge. This trips system is you register, they charge your credit card in full immediately and then do not give any real information until you are into the major withholding part of their refund.

As it stands now, when the details of the accomodation comes out and you decide to cancel you will lose at least 50% plus the fee. Too steep and too much fine print for my liking.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #34
itsgunnahurt OP
Gravity Enhanced!

Quote:
This answers very little really other than the end destination has changed and it will be mid July before any real information about accomodation is available. There was also some mention you are limited to two panniers in the support vehicle otherwise you would have to pay extra, I didn't see that written anywhere before, I wonder what else is unkown? Things like the scrutineering of your bike at some stage before the event has been mentioned on previous rallies but nothing as yet for this one. All very vague.

Same as last year

I do want to make this clear, if I was still registered to go I couldn't care less if the information only came out a week before the event, I would and still am interested in participating.

My main gripe is the cancellation policy and more particularly the amounts held back based on when you cancel. Up until all the information is released (and I mean all of it), you should be able to get a full refund, minus a minimal fee of some sort if need be, for around a week from this date.

No, your grip was:
  • paying for the trip upfront
  • not being able to carry hard panniers on the trip
  • pre-ride "scrutiny"
  • cancellation policy
  • no information on the route upfront
  • not being able to organise your own accommodation
  • no pricing on accommodation upfront
  • not getting all your money refunded
I may have missed some

When you book any other type of accomodation or holiday your credit card details are taken as a form of holding deposit, you are then charged either on check-in/out or on confirmation of all details. If you do not turn up and do not cancel you are liable for the charges, which is totally fair. If you do cancel because some of the details change you are entitled to cancel at no charge. This trips system is you register, they charge your credit card in full immediately and then do not give any real information until you are into the major withholding part of their refund.

Try booking accommodation via last minute or other web based 3rd parties... you pay upfront and if you cancel, they subtract their fee anyway

As it stands now, when the details of the accomodation comes out and you decide to cancel you will lose at least 50% plus the fee. Too steep and too much fine print for my liking.

It seems you didn't do your homework upfront, did actually read about previous trips or ask anyone else who had been on one before?
Sadly, within a week of booking you were not happy with the trip, and then when you have canceled you kept on being unhappy.

I guess you've made your choices...
Old 06-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #35
Beefhooked
Old Fart

Oddometer: 89
Quote:

To tell you the truth I`m a little worried about the overall cost of this ride including accom but, all things being considered, I`m sticking with it on the strength of its past record.

Haven`t heard a bad word from those who have been before.

Sure the timing of the details could have been better but I imagine it would be a nightmare for the organisers to plan a doo like this.

I just hope it doesn`t rain - I hate mud! So does my bike.

TAKE THE RISK - you only live once...

R1100GS
R100GSPD sold
72 H2 2 stroke
RGV XTZ Project 4 sale
Beefhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #36
shedmarket
Chris

Quote:
Sadly, within a week of booking you were not happy with the trip, and then when you have canceled you kept on being unhappy.

I guess you've made your choices...
Not quite correct, I am perfectly happy, just mildly disappointed.

I booked on the 1st May and cancelled on the 13th June, a tad more than a week.

I cancelled not because I was unhappy, merely uninformed. If I had cancelled any later I would have had to forfeit a lot more than the $50.00 administration fee, which I again happily paid as this was clearly stated in the terms and conditions.

I have read plenty of different views on previous rallies, both on this forum and in various magazines and even watched a video on the Tasmanian event, which is why I was looking forward to the trip.

I understand fully that you could and should forfeit some or all of your registration fee if you change your mind close to the event, especially if the terms and conditions are spelt out in advance. Totally happy with that.

I am merely expressing an personal opinion (which is what I thought these forums were all about) that you should be in a position to make an informed judgement about proceeding based on the information provided before the cancellation charges apply. Nothing more, nothing less.

I constantly book all sorts of accomodation and you are right, some of the last minute ones do not refund on cancellation but this is hardly comparable, 91 days is not quite "last minute" and neither is 60 days which is when you may receive the details and costings.

Yes, I did wonder about leaving on the top pannier (only one) as in it I carry an extensive first aid kit and basic tools (the terms and conditions clearly state you have to be fully self reliant) but it would not have been a deal clincher, nor any of the other matters you mentioned. I am basically easy to please, I had already organised to borrow a mates soft pannier bag.

I must note you seem very defensive of the organisers, associated in an way? Doesn't really matter, I respect your opinion and your right to voice it.

I wish to also add I hold nothing against the organisers, in my cancellation email I offered my services if the organisers or any participants experience any problems. I have easy acess to 4wd's, utes, trailers and even a crane truck. We even have good workshop facilites here in Coffs, if needed. They thanked me for it but indicated they were not coming anywhere near Coffs.

The offer is open at all times to anyone really, within a few hours travel, anything to help a fellow rider. Certainly it seems this event falls into that catergory.

Cheers

shedmarket screwed with this post 06-21-2012 at 09:17 PM
Old 06-21-2012, 11:22 PM   #37
itsgunnahurt OP
Gravity Enhanced!

Quote:
I must note you seem very defensive of the organisers, associated in an way? Doesn't really matter, I respect your opinion and your right to voice it.

Cheers
BTW.. I have no association with the organisers at all...
Old 07-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #38
TOKman61
Tok61

Oddometer: 17
Waiting

Accommodation booked, GSA ready and waiting. Too long to go!
Old 07-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #39
itsgunnahurt OP
Gravity Enhanced!

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOKman61 View Post
Accommodation booked, GSA ready and waiting. Too long to go!
yep, all booked here... now I can sort out the gs and luggage arrangements. We're heading out the week before, for a bit of a road trip up there, this will be good and hopefully warmer than it is here now!

Just found one of the fork seals leaking, one of the hand grips is splitting... not too bad considering the bikes now 10 years old! Parts ordered, just waiting for them to turn up.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:00 AM   #40
TimbobSA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Acccomodation booked - thought prices VERY fair considering where we will be staying. Any others heading over from SA?
Now just have to work out when I can get the bike scruitineered
Old 07-23-2012, 12:11 AM   #41
TOKman61
Tok61

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimbobSA View Post
Acccomodation booked - thought prices VERY fair considering where we will be staying. Any others heading over from SA?
Now just have to work out when I can get the bike scruitineered
Yes agree, seems pretty fair quality so I did not have a problem at all with the prices.

I am fortunate in that I live only 70K from the start and Ballina BMW are my bike shop so they will be doing that for me.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:31 AM   #42
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
We're heading out the week before, for a bit of a road trip up there, this will be good and hopefully warmer than it is here now!
You will be travelling between sea level and over 1,500 metres, and it is only early spring so you need to be ready for it to be a bit cold at times. It will probably be quite nice, but there could be frosts on the tablelands in the morning. My advice bring some things for cooler weather.

On the bright side there are some great roads and scenery in the area, I think the best motorcycle roads and tracks in Australia north of the Victorian Border.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:33 AM   #43
itsgunnahurt OP
Gravity Enhanced!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane View Post
You will be travelling between sea level and over 1,500 metres, and it is only early spring so you need to be ready for it to be a bit cold at times. It will probably be quite nice, but there could be frosts on the tablelands in the morning. My advice bring some things for cooler weather.

On the bright side there are some great roads and scenery in the area, I think the best motorcycle roads and tracks in Australia north of the Victorian Border.
Thanks.. I've got 2 weeks on the road, so have to have appropriate for what ever the weather... just it's been fscking freezing here lately
My mate with the Guzz is coming along for the trip up so we're planning the route now. Then after the finish at Forster, I'll head south to catch up with him for a quick run back to Melb.
Looking forward to this!
Old 07-23-2012, 05:04 AM   #44
tvan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Accommodation booked, now getting excited.

Will be leaving Melbourne possibly on the Thursday or early Friday morningl to arrive Saturday arvo.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:34 AM   #45
NatGreg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
I'm all booked in.
Really looking forward to the trip.

I'll be riding down from Brisbane the Friday before if anyone is keen.
Also planning to ride back from Forster- company welcome.

This will probably be the last trip for the GS Dakar before I sell her.

See you all down there!

Nathan
NatGreg is offline   Reply With Quote