User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2012, 06:55 AM   #46
Stumblebike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Tyres??

Booked and ready to Go looking forward to it. What tyres would you reckon?
I am on a X challenge and normally run D606's I don't think i will be doing any road work to or from the Safari i was wondering if anyone who has been before / knows a bit about the style of riding would be able to shed some light on tyre selection.
Sadly the D606's are brand spanking new i had hoped to knock them about for 500km on some softer terrain where i could et the benefit as i am guessing that most of the GS will be on hard pack gravel road's probably Rocky river and Armadale Kempsey rd would be typical and probably actually included on the trip.

If i go for a more hard pack road orientated tyre what do you suggest i have p;reviously only ridden trail bikes and never ventured in to the world of dual purpose tyres

Cheers

"Time flies when having fun" I think this day will never end.
Stumblebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #47
vngunfighter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
What is the cost for this Safari?

Thanks in advance, hope I can get things to work out.

Jimmy
vngunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #48
Quirky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblebike View Post
I am on a X challenge and normally run D606's I don't think i will be doing any road work to or from the Safari i was wondering if anyone who has been before / knows a bit about the style of riding would be able to shed some light on tyre selection.
Sadly the D606's are brand spanking new i had hoped to knock them about for 500km on some softer terrain where i could et the benefit as i am guessing that most of the GS will be on hard pack gravel road's probably Rocky river and Armadale Kempsey rd would be typical and probably actually included on the trip.

If i go for a more hard pack road orientated tyre what do you suggest i have p;reviously only ridden trail bikes and never ventured in to the world of dual purpose tyres

Cheers
Previous safari most were on Conti's TKC 80.
Lots of Metzler Karoo's but they don't last as long.
There would be lots a options like a Mitas E-07 for the rear that a few seem ta like.
I'll stick with TKC's.
PS- last year they couldn't get in enough TKC's imported a reason other tyres were used.
Hope this helps.

Cheers
Old 07-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #49
Quirky
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vngunfighter View Post

Jimmy
Registration includes a bit of stuff so your best to contact the organisers. It wouldn't be fair to blab out the costs to someone that doesnt know whats included or involved.
Then theres accomodation, depends how flash ya want to get for ya budget.
Tyres, Fuel, & most meals.
The biggest cost, drinks at the end of the day.

Quirky screwed with this post 07-29-2012 at 09:12 AM
Quirky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #50
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblebike View Post

Cheers
I'm probably going to take my XChallenge as well.

I have tried the TKC80 0n the front ... very stable and nice on the road and probably good wear. I had a pair of Pirelli MT21's. The backs good on and off road, but I destroyed the front in no time when I had to ride on the bitumen for a day. I had a 606 0n the front of my F800GS on the Tasmanian Safari and it was good, except it was very noisy on the road and wore out a bit faster than a TKC80 would.

So ... I don't know. I think there will probably be some good bitumen roads like the oxley Highway so you don't want a really aggressive off road tyre, and even the MT21 front might wear too fast. Really brings it back to TKC80's which are a good choice (and nearly everyone on the bigger bikes will be using them) or the 606's. What are they like on the XChallenge ?
Old 07-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #51
FahrtMeister
Gnarled Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Heidenau K60's are the go, or I think theyre called Scout nowadays. Thats of course if you can get them, they were as rare as rocking horses shit a while ago when i was looking around.
Good luck Safari boys and girls,I'm taking a raincheck this year. Been on two Safari's and I can tell you theyre grouse, if anything they are too well organised!
cheers
Old 07-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #52
vngunfighter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky View Post
Registration includes a bit of stuff so your best to contact the organisers. It wouldn't be fair to blab out the costs to someone that doesnt know whats included or involved.
Then theres accomodation, depends how flash ya want to get for ya budget.
Tyres, Fuel, & most meals.
The biggest cost, drinks at the end of the day.
WOW......I appreciate your subtle condescending tone.

I'm new here, 3rd post, just curious on riding here.
vngunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #53
itsgunnahurt OP
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,922
Quote:

Seriously, if you want to go (or just thinking of going), then contact the organisers. They are approachable. Nothing condescending about it. Talk to them about costings, there is the entry fee, accommodation, optional things like Rider training and tyre support.
Off the top of my head, I wouldnt beable to quote to you what I paid for entry (can't remember), but I sorted my accom for about under $300 (including optional days).
Last year I ordered some tyres, but in the end I didn't change them the whole trip. I'll order tyres again for this trip just in case.

http://www.bmwsafari.com/category/gs-safari-news
Obviously the proviso is you're riding a BMW GS class bike..

hehe I wonder if they've picked up I've entered the G450 as my bike. I know the organisers are reading this, but I'm really going to take the 1150...

again the disclaimer.. I have no association with the organisers, my statements are my own personal ones, and not those of BMW or the BMW GS Safari...
Old 07-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #54
Quirky
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

I geuss that my comments were a bit short handed. Replied to you from my shitty little phone screen during my lunch break in the middle of a 13hr nightshift. Just trying to help you get the best information so you can see where your hard earned cash is going. Instead of WTF how much? What for? What do I get for that?
IMHO I don't do subtle in any way shape or form, merely trying to help inform a fellow rider, who this time came looking for a bit more than just a ride.

Cheers
Old 07-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #55
woopwoop
will think for food

Oddometer: 5,247
Quote:

What is the cost for this Safari?

Jimmy

From here http://www.bmwsafari.com/index/2012-gs-safari

Pricing & Inclusions

The registration fee of $580 (AUD inc. GST) per rider covers the following inclusions:
  • Welcome function with canapés and drinks on Sunday evening
  • Farewell dinner with 3 course meal and drinks, event prizes and awards and evening entertainment.
  • 2012 BMW GS Safari event T-shirt
  • 2012 BMW GS Safari motorcycle decal
  • Pre Safari Courtesy Motorcycle Inspection
  • Facilitating mandatory accommodation bookings & optional service bookings (ie. bike transport, rider training, tyres, activities, etc)
  • Luggage transport. If extra luggage transport is required (ie. sleeping bags,etc.) you can select this at the time of booking your accommodation.
  • BMW Safari Technical Support Vehicle with trailer and on bike Technical Support
  • Personalised identification tag
  • BMW Safari Tyre Support team
  • BMW Safari event medical support
  • Pre-planned and arrowed routes coupled with daily route maps that include general information on fuelling options, road warnings, tourist information and suggested activities each day.
  • GPS file of planned route to upload into your GPS unit (Garmin GDB files will be provided, these can be converted if required). This will be available approximately 2 weeks prior to event.
  • Regular Safari News emails and Facebook updates leading up to event
Please note: the event registration fee does not include any out of pocket expenses such as fuel, bike transport, tyres, accommodation, food and drinks (other than that included above). They are the participant’s responsibility. Please note that the BMW GS Safari is only open to BMW solo riders who intend to ride a BMW GS motorcycle (or equivalent, with an acknowledged and recognised off-road capability). Other motorcycle brands will not be permitted to attend the event. Due to the off-road nature of the GS Safari pillion riders are not eligible to attend.
woopwoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #56
itsgunnahurt OP
Gravity Enhanced!

Question Travel?

To change the theme here a bit.. how is everyone getting to the start?
I've got the week before off, so want to travel up from Melbourne at a "slower" pace... and enjoy the view. working out the route, some tar, some dirt...

Unfortuntely, I already booked my leave when the destination changed to Forster, so it'll be a bit of flash trip home again... Not that should pose too much of an issue considering my form after last years (failed) effort at cameron cnr!

Also, I'm guessing the GPS tracks will be same as last year (Garmin gdb format). As I use Oziexplorer, I'll to try translate the tracks into gpx or plt format. I've tested this on last years tracks, so it should work on this years ones!
Old 07-30-2012, 06:15 AM   #57
Stumblebike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane View Post
I'm probably going to take my XChallenge as well. ...

So ... I don't know. I think there will probably be some good bitumen roads like the oxley Highway so you don't want a really aggressive off road tyre, and even the MT21 front might wear too fast. Really brings it back to TKC80's which are a good choice (and nearly everyone on the bigger bikes will be using them) or the 606's. What are they like on the XChallenge ?
Good stuff I hope to see a few Xchallenges out there.

As for the D606's I have done 2500 km on them and they were a bit tired when I got the bike the front is noisy on bitumen and the back didn't last too well but it seems to hold on well in all conditions I came across.
They would do the ride fine I was just thinking maybe not the best tyre for the job, but I don't have time to wear them out and I hate having tyres laying around might just run them anyway.

I will still check out the tck80's thanks

"Time flies when having fun" I think this day will never end.
Stumblebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:01 AM   #58
itsgunnahurt OP
Gravity Enhanced!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsgunnahurt View Post
hehe I wonder if they've picked up I've entered the G450 as my bike. I know the organisers are reading this, but I'm really going to take the 1150...
Yep, Nick called me today, they're on the ball ... wont be taking the 450...
Old 08-01-2012, 02:43 AM   #59
TOKman61
Tok61

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by FahrtMeister View Post
Heidenau K60's are the go, or I think theyre called Scout nowadays. Thats of course if you can get them, they were as rare as rocking horses shit a while ago when i was looking around.
Good luck Safari boys and girls,I'm taking a raincheck this year. Been on two Safari's and I can tell you theyre grouse, if anything they are too well organised!
cheers
I usually use the Heidenau K60's, I reckon they will be the go for this trip and I find them to be an awesome allrounder. I use Mitas E-09's or E-10's if its going to be really gnarly but something tells me that is not going to be the case with this trip. You will get the best wear from the Heidenau's. Ballina Motorcycles, who are the local BMW dealer for Ballina (from where we are starting) can and do get them for me and a couple of other mates, they might even carry them I think.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:08 AM   #60
gswadd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsgunnahurt View Post
Yep, Nick called me today, they're on the ball ... wont be taking the 450...
Do they not count the G450 as a BMW?
gswadd is offline   Reply With Quote