Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2012, 03:14 AM   #76
tvan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Also ordered tyres, Dave has been brilliant, job done. So tyres done, accommodation done, precheck next week. Now the countdown really begins, just need to decide which way to go from Melbourne and what day to leave.

Looking at the photos of the pre ride looks like Miles and Nick have come up with a good plan

Tvan
Old 08-17-2012, 11:52 PM   #77
TimbobSA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvan View Post
Also ordered tyres, Dave has been brilliant, job done. So tyres done, accommodation done, precheck next week. Now the countdown really begins, just need to decide which way to go from Melbourne and what day to leave.

Looking at the photos of the pre ride looks like Miles and Nick have come up with a good plan

Tvan
Looking for a bit of local knowledge here - what tyres are you fellas running?
Old 08-18-2012, 12:29 AM   #78
Devilish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimbobSA View Post

I was thinking TKC 80's but I am not sure if the run up from Sydney to the start line would kill them seeing as it would all be on the highway. 10 hours or so on highway....

My other choice is Heidenau K60 Scouts, but are currently out of still till the first week of September... Good mileage and a lot of people rave about them....

Not too fussed on Karoo's, but they are my final resort....
Devilish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:43 AM   #79
itsgunnahurt OP
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimbobSA View Post
I;ve just ordered a set ot TKC80's, I've gone thru a few sets over the past couple of years and I'm happy with them. A while back I did have a couple of sets of Heidenau K60 (prior to the Scouts), they were good, but I found they tended to square off. I think the solid bar of the K60's was supposed to help that, but I haven't tried them.

If anyone is interested, we're heading out for a leisurely ride up thru Mansfield, Khancoban Jindaybe, Canberra, Bathurst? Mudgee? and so on. I've booked in for the training up at Yamba, so the current plan is to head our the Sunday prior. My mate has decided he doesn’t want to ride on any dirt, so it will be on the seal all the way
Old 08-18-2012, 04:01 AM   #80
gswadd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilish View Post
I was thinking TKC 80's but I am not sure if the run up from Sydney to the start line would kill them seeing as it would all be on the highway. 10 hours or so on highway....

My other choice is Heidenau K60 Scouts, but are currently out of still till the first week of September... Good mileage and a lot of people rave about them....

Not too fussed on Karoo's, but they are my final resort....
You'd be surprised at how well the TKC80's last on the highway. The set I had last year did the event then back to Mackay in QLD and then another 1000 or so after two-up. They still were not stuffed but was doing a two up trip over some particularly rough dirt roads so changed the rear for a new one. Damn good tyre in my opinion. Just up the pressure for the highway.
gswadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:30 AM   #81
itsgunnahurt OP
Gravity Enhanced!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gswadd View Post
You'd be surprised at how well the TKC80's last on the highway. The set I had last year did the event then back to Mackay in QLD and then another 1000 or so after two-up. They still were not stuffed but was doing a two up trip over some particularly rough dirt roads so changed the rear for a new one. Damn good tyre in my opinion. Just up the pressure for the highway.
+1 last year, I fitted a new TKC in Melbourne, rode up to Broken Hill, did the training, the whole trip to Port Lincoln, back up to Tibbooburra, turned round just before Cameron Cnr, then rode to Swan Pool on the same tyre... I did order 2 rears and 1 front for the trip, but didn't actually use them. When I got home, I put a fresh rear tyre on just because I was going over the bike after the trip, it wasn't really shagged out though.
I do tend to work on the idea I'd rather have them ordered and and not used, than not order any tyres and need them!

BTW, the 2nd rear is sitting in my garage now waiting to go on for this trip!
Old 08-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #82
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,010
I`ve said this many times in many threads; I regularly get around 14,000km out of TKC 80s on my 1100GS. The front one is spun around on the rim at around 9000km to even up the scalloping; it will then last to around 18,000km but will be well and truly stuffed by then. 30psi front, 34psi rear.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #83
tvan
Gnarly Adventurer

Running TKC 80's, will be riding up with them and ten having new TKC's fitted, ordered 2nd rear, probably overkill, but like last time his will probably return home with me.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #84
Quirky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
TKC-80's are good for the milage. A good performer and like it because it ain't too scary on wet tarmac Thats what I'll be getting to Ballina on as well. Dave has recommended a set of Dunlop 908rr's for me on this trip. Looking forward to see if they're as good as he say's they are. The TKC-80's that come off will do for spares, I hope.

Cheers,

Greg
Old 08-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #85
Devilish
Adventurer

Anyone had any experience with the Metzeler Karoo T's? They com standard on the BMW Adventures these days, but heard they don't last very long...
Old 08-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #86
itsgunnahurt OP
Gravity Enhanced!

Booked in for rider training now and have sorted the accommodation @ Yamba.

Bike is at my mechanics getting the once over before I book into stealerships for the inspection.

What's left? Packing notes and route list...

Only a few weeks to go!
Old 08-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #87
tvan
Gnarly Adventurer

Did the course last year, it was excellent for me having come from large road bikes, enjoy
Old 08-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #88
itsgunnahurt OP
Gravity Enhanced!

Quote:
Did the course last year, it was excellent for me having come from large road bikes, enjoy
yeah did it the last couple of years... it did make a good warm up for the first day of last years trip
Would like to get another course in at Werribee, I thought that was a really good setup!
Old 08-20-2012, 12:31 AM   #89
TimbobSA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Thanks chaps looks like a set of TKC's will be on the way. Had my BMW check last Friday think they were disapointed there was no extra work for them to do.!
Old 08-22-2012, 04:45 AM   #90
Devilish
Adventurer

Quote:

Tvan

I have send the form in on Sunday to talk to the tyre guys.... no call back yet.... still waiting....