Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 04:45 AM   #91
Devilish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimbobSA View Post
Thanks chaps looks like a set of TKC's will be on the way. Had my BMW check last Friday think they were disapointed there was no extra work for them to do.!

TKC80's for me too I think!
Devilish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #92
itsgunnahurt OP
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,815
All ready to go now! Bikes been serviced, the pre-safari inspection done (though still waiting on the sticker).
Fresh tyres await.

Now just want to get a couple of nights away.

Two weeks before I go on leave... three till the safari
Old 08-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #93
gswadd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Safari check done last Friday. Was going to be a fail due to the gear position indicator switch going south at Coffs Harbour on the TS Safari after a torrential downpour. Suggested to old mate, the mechanic, that if it was not such a problem on the last safari, that it has to be repaired (I was told just to get it looked at next time it was in for a service by the tech support), then it shouldn't be a problem on this one. He called BMW and argued my case and got a pass on it. According to the computer it is the switch that is faulty so I'll probably order one this week anyway. Just didn't want to spend $235 on a new only to find the fault was further up the system. Currently only starts with clutch in and they did have a good point that if I drop it and damage the clutch switch then the bike will be staying where it is.
gswadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #94
Stumblebike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Stay Upright Training

Are any of you guys doing the 2 day Training? or have any of you done it in the past?
I don't have a problem riding Offroad I learnt to can crash my Trail bike as good as any one.
But thinking that maybe some proffesionals will tell me all about my bad habits might not be such a bad idea. and it is another 2days on my bike so how bad an idea could that be.

"Time flies when having fun" I think this day will never end.
Stumblebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #95
itsgunnahurt OP
Gravity Enhanced!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblebike View Post
Are any of you guys doing the 2 day Training? or have any of you done it in the past?
I don't have a problem riding Offroad I learnt to can crash my Trail bike as good as any one.
But thinking that maybe some proffesionals will tell me all about my bad habits might not be such a bad idea. and it is another 2days on my bike so how bad an idea could that be.
Yeah doing the training too... I've done it a few times, and it's good a refresher, plus it's a bit of fun too. Getting feedback on how you're setup is a bonus.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:22 PM   #96
itsgunnahurt OP
Gravity Enhanced!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gswadd View Post
Safari check done last Friday. Was going to be a fail due to the gear position indicator switch going south at Coffs Harbour on the TS Safari after a torrential downpour. Suggested to old mate, the mechanic, that if it was not such a problem on the last safari, that it has to be repaired (I was told just to get it looked at next time it was in for a service by the tech support), then it shouldn't be a problem on this one. He called BMW and argued my case and got a pass on it. According to the computer it is the switch that is faulty so I'll probably order one this week anyway. Just didn't want to spend $235 on a new only to find the fault was further up the system. Currently only starts with clutch in and they did have a good point that if I drop it and damage the clutch switch then the bike will be staying where it is.
Ouch, but how can it be a "fail"? Anyway good to see the stealership argued the point for you. If you do manage to damage the clutch switch, I reckon we might have to do some quick rewiring of the 1200... bypass the lot of em!
MInd you, while I think having the bikes inspected is a very good idea, it's also an opportunity for the dealers to extract more money. I just made sure my mechanic (non-dealership) went over the bike first.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #97
NatGreg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
I'm booked in for the training. Really looking forward to it.

Just got my bike back from the tech inspection this morning.....
- may require new steering head bearings
- may require new left hand side case and water pump...

Grrr..... gunna make for an expensive safari if I can't find some non genuine bearings and an engine case at the wreckers..... :|
NatGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:57 PM   #98
Beefhooked
Old Fart

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Just booked my 2 day training as well. Borked a bit at the cost at first but thought F#ck it, you only live once. Ive seen the Stay Upright guys at a few bike shows strutting their stuff - very professional.
Ordered a front tyre as well - Heidenau or TKC, I`m not really fussed either way.

Looking forward to the whole show really :)

R1100GS
R100GSPD sold
72 H2 2 stroke
RGV XTZ Project 4 sale
Beefhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #99
TimbobSA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Gunna do our own training with fellow inmate he has suggested follow the Darling from Willcannia to Bourke Dirt road - any one know of current condition of the road
Old 08-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #100
itsgunnahurt OP
Gravity Enhanced!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngregory View Post
I'm booked in for the training. Really looking forward to it.

Just got my bike back from the tech inspection this morning.....
- may require new steering head bearings
- may require new left hand side case and water pump...

Grrr..... gunna make for an expensive safari if I can't find some non genuine bearings and an engine case at the wreckers..... :|
Dig around on the forums... someone's found the correct (aftermarket) steering head bearings...
Old 08-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #101
NatGreg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsgunnahurt View Post
Dig around on the forums... someone's found the correct (aftermarket) steering head bearings...
Well after being quoted $190 for two head bearings (then add labor on top...), I went to the local bearing shop and got a couple of NSK bearings of exactly the same spec for $16 ea..... :)

I guess I'll be doing some wrenching this weekend.
NatGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:15 AM   #102
Devilish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
This time in 2 weeks we will be in Ballina!

hey guys, from previous experience, is it worth having the GPS, or are the maps good enough?

Pre-safari budget might not allow for a GPS.... but could at a stretch......
Devilish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:39 AM   #103
cascade63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngregory View Post
Well after being quoted $190 for two head bearings (then add labor on top...), I went to the local bearing shop and got a couple of NSK bearings of exactly the same spec for $16 ea..... :)

I guess I'll be doing some wrenching this weekend.
Don't think it's just BMW that charge those sort of prices for bearings, had similar with my KTM and the local Townsville bearing place was excellent in cross referencing bearings from just about every make and model bike on the planet. That convinced me back then never to buy another bearing from a dealer.

Enjoy the safari, will be picking up the brand new pig that week.
cascade63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:26 AM   #104
Quirky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilish View Post
This time in 2 weeks we will be in Ballina!

hey guys, from previous experience, is it worth having the GPS, or are the maps good enough?

Pre-safari budget might not allow for a GPS.... but could at a stretch......

I'm sure you would manage without a GPS, allot of em died last year . Maps are pretty good and route is marked.
Lots of opportunities to buddy up with someone. GPS's are a guide only and can get you lost quick also. Don't ask how i know this. gswadd might fill you in on my navigational stuff up. Tip is don't follow me .
PS- I vote you save the dosh for your drinking funds.....

Quirky screwed with this post 09-02-2012 at 03:38 AM
Quirky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:44 AM   #105
itsgunnahurt OP
Gravity Enhanced!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky View Post

I'm sure you would manage without a GPS, allot of em died last year . Maps are pretty good and route is marked.
Lots of opportunities to buddy up with someone. GPS's are a guide only and can get you lost quick also. Don't ask how i know this. gswadd might fill you in on my navigational stuff up. Tip is don't follow me .
PS- I vote you save the dosh for your drinking funds.....
+1 GPS is only a nice to have... but handy for logging your track.
and if the route gets changed (as it did last year), you won't have the route anyway.
Daily trip sheets should be available at the rider briefings.
Just follow someone else, and if they get lost, at least you'll be there to keep them company!