User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
DustDog OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Cool2 Entering Colombia @ Cartagena

Hi everybody: here my first post in this great forum. I have been enjoying this site for over a year and now is my turn for packing and hit the road. But it sucks that I live in a 27 miles long island in the middle of the Caribbean...good diving bad riding. Coming August i will put my Honda RD04 Africa Twin in a cruise ship to Cartagena. My question to you experienced riders is: what papers exactly do i need to clear customs in Colombia? As you probably already guess, living in a small island i never cross a border in a motorbike. Honoring my noob status. Really looking forward for your answers
DustDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,943
You will need at a minimum the original title for the bike, the registration for the bike, your driver's license, passport, and you will be required to buy insurance.

Does the cruise ship operator aid with the customs, maybe they have an agent??

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
DustDog OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
You will need at a minimum the original title for the bike, the registration for the bike, your driver's license, passport, and you will be required to buy insurance.

Does the cruise ship operator aid with the customs, maybe they have an agent??
Thanks Misery Goat. I was afraid of something like that. Here more questions, where i live "bike titles" doesn't exist. Registration as such doesn't exist either and what it works as "registration" is actually your insurance papers where you can see your personal data and the data of the MB. You cannot circulate without this. Would something like that be accepted at Cartagena? I managing the possibility of asking some notary office to write me some kind of "official papers" stating that i'm the owner of the MB but i don't know actually if it will be of any use. What do you think? Somebody else with experience on that? As i said, having a 750cc machine in a 27 miles long island it sucks.....we don't even have papers:-(........
WOW!!!! My oddometer suddenly duplicate....cool
DustDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,943
I won't go so far as to say you can't do it but in my experience I do not see how you can get through customs with that paperwork.

Maybe someone here has specific information to your scenario.

Short of that I would try the ship operator and see what they recommend. If they are transporting your bike then perhaps they are connected with a shipping agent or similar. Or maybe you can track down a customs agent in Cartagena who can guide you through the process??

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
You could try contacting Miracle-Worker-For-Hire Ludvig. He lives in Cartagena and has local contacts, but of course is often away. Try an email via the Stahlratte (Google it).

I read recently an account of someone turned back at a border because they were carrying a Canadian registration, which looks remarkably like an insurance card even to me. No title, of course, since they don't issue titles. I think he was trying to cross from Panama into Costa Rica.

On the other hand, hundreds of riders before you have proven that migracion and aduana rules and regulations are fluid and negotiable. Usually there's some sort of resolution available to the patient.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
theturtleshead
Tits on a fish

Oddometer: 791
simply

Just throw you bike in the ocean and save yourself a whole bunch of heartache!
Al
theturtleshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer: 768
nicaragua does not issue titles, only "circulacion" which is essentially a registration card. though i've never crossed the border on my nica registered dr650, my friends have traveled back and forth to CR and honduras in their nica registered vehicles with no problems many, many times. there are many places that don't issue "title" and rely instead on registration type documents.
TeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote