Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #46
simonpig OP
Packin' Heat

Oddometer: 861
I don't remember my rotor being that blue looking. I think I would've made a mental note of it, if something didn't seem right to me. Regardless, look at the generator part that is attached to the generator side cover and see if theres anything stick out that would interface with the generator rotor in that area when spinning. Theres might be a bolt or harness that worked its way loose.

If there's nothing rubbing then, the blue heat treating might be normal.
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #47
Jedaha
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Thanks for the feedback Simonpig, nothing rubbing on that side all looks good.

I'm still waiting for my puller.
Ordered last tuesday from local shop, I try to support the local Yamaha shop if their prices are competitive, supposed to come in friday. Nup on back order, supposedly getting one in today. I should have just ordered from the guy on Ebay, same price Australia location, job would have been done by now.

Anyway. The blue ring doesn't line up with any surfaces on the rear (starter clutch) side of the flywheel from my calculations, still sounds like a dry starter clutch, I may be totally wrong, if I am, I've got no idea.
Jedaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #48
zeroselect
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedaha View Post
Thanks for the feedback Simonpig, nothing rubbing on that side all looks good.

I'm still waiting for my puller.
Ordered last tuesday from local shop, I try to support the local Yamaha shop if their prices are competitive, supposed to come in friday. Nup on back order, supposedly getting one in today. I should have just ordered from the guy on Ebay, same price Australia location, job would have been done by now.

Anyway. The blue ring doesn't line up with any surfaces on the rear (starter clutch) side of the flywheel from my calculations, still sounds like a dry starter clutch, I may be totally wrong, if I am, I've got no idea.
Jedaha I was wonder if you ever figured out your problem?

I think i'm having the same problem as your having.
zeroselect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #49
Jedaha
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Oops, thought I had updated this thread.
Anyway here's what has transpired.
- Got the puller, removed the flywheel and starter clutch, although everything looks a bit blue like its treated or got hot, it looked and operated fine, I was expecting a rattly piece of junk with missing cam rollers.
- To totally put this suspicion to bed, I removed all of the starter gears and starter clutch, and re-assembled with the flywheel (generator rotor) only. Put the cover back on put oil back in, clutch started and guess what ....
I still have the noise!!!!
- Took the cover back off, re-assembled with the starter clutch and gears and continued to scratch my head.
- Even though I've had the clutch out and inspected the plates, I didn't remove the complete crankcase cover so while the oil was still out of the motor I though I might as well, then I've checked everything, (without splitting the cases).
- Everything looks perfect, also no shrapnel in oil filter either.
- re-assembled and went for a ride....

The noise is still a mystery.
It still sounds like its coming from the Left side of the motor, the only other thing there is the air induction systems, air cutoff valve. If you put a screwdriver on this like a stethoscope, you can here it vibrating at engine rpm as it does its job, however, standing next to it you can't here any noise from it.

The mystery continues.

The only thing to do now is get a yamaha tech to listen to it, and see what he thinks, given everything that I've checked, I pretty much just gonna call it a normal engine noise.
Wonder if yamaha will let me start the one on their showroom floor for a comparison?
If anyone's reading this from the Illawarra area of Australia that owns one, and would let me compare, I'd be grateful..

At least I'll have more confidence now when doing a 300k ride on my own.
Jedaha is offline   Reply With Quote