Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #16
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,367
The irons that I've broken have all been poor cast iron. Tons of air pockets in them. And I'm talking snapping them with only half the tire on, just past the hand stage. I swear, with some of the irons, you just show them the tire and they snap. Last one that broke took my only tube with it, so I said "no more".

I've used those plastic bead breakers before and they seem to work ok. They key is patience and work in small steps. Me. I tend to spend a couple three hours rolling around the garage floor, on the hottest day of the year. I have to send the neighbor kids home as a child should not hear what is going to come out of my mouth. Then standing back sore, beaten with a black eye or two, with pride I watch the tire totally deflate. Load it into the car and take it the shop. So stop by if you need any help putting them on.

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #17
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,689
If you've not yet left, did you try a few C-clamps as a bead breaker?
ozmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #18
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by batoutoflahonda View Post
The irons that I've broken have all been poor cast iron. Tons of air pockets in them. And I'm talking snapping them with only half the tire on, just past the hand stage. I swear, with some of the irons, you just show them the tire and they snap. Last one that broke took my only tube with it, so I said "no more".

I've used those plastic bead breakers before and they seem to work ok. They key is patience and work in small steps. Me. I tend to spend a couple three hours rolling around the garage floor, on the hottest day of the year. I have to send the neighbor kids home as a child should not hear what is going to come out of my mouth. Then standing back sore, beaten with a black eye or two, with pride I watch the tire totally deflate. Load it into the car and take it the shop. So stop by if you need any help putting them on.
Heheh lol
Old 04-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #19
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by akabeton View Post
AirheadWrangler and SoloLobo are probably out riding. ;-).
Well, actually no

I need a new front tire as mine has a nice cut, and am going to let the shop change this one. Personally I hate changing tires and can always be counted on to pinch-flat at least one tube

I did the change to TKC's on my old R100GS and my memories were that it was hard work, it was very hot and there was quite a bit of swearing involved... I am sure I was too conserative on the slippery stuff.

back to it, waitng for the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #20
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by batoutoflahonda View Post

I thought you were going to say something like that boola. It sounds like MP had a bad batch cast. I bet they would warranty them.

I am really not trying to be a smart ass but like I was saying it does seem to take a nack to do it well. My dad was real good at it. I learned from him and then I got real good at changing split rim tractor trailer tires in high school. A real he man job and I was the fastest at this truck stop I worked at for a while and I was as skinny as could be back then. It use to piss off a couple of the tough guys. It's like swimming or riding MX. All the muscle in the world will do you no good if you don't have the technique. A good friend got to where he could knock out motorcycle tires better than I could. Like my dad, he got the technique AND was stronger! Those two guys had some of the strongest hands I have ever met.

supershaft screwed with this post 04-18-2012 at 04:16 PM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #21
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,621
Main thing to keep from pinching the tube is to inflate it just a bit, before getting the other bead on. Once the tire is mounted, check the tire and rim on both sides by squeezing the tire and looking to see if the tube is caught. Learned that from bicycle tires. The more you do the easier it gets. I almost like changing my tube tires. I don't do tubeless ones. As I don't want to take a chance and scratch the rims.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #22
bikecat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,087
Take the opportunity to give your brake shoe lining a good sand with sandpaper.

Cheers
bikecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #23
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,818
OP does not have tubes. He has a GS/PD with tubeless Akront/Behr wheels and corresponding tubeless tires. Don't confuse him!

(Unless he's read up on Stage running tubes in tubeless )

It's sad the Harbor Freight tire changer has been nixed. I've had one for 6 years and it has paid for itself prolly 10+ times over. I found i had a lot of new friends who like to have their tires changed. None of them is attractive
Old 04-19-2012, 04:46 AM   #24
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Mug, I've got one of those HF tire changers and I could never get a tire changed on it without at one time actually having to stand upon it at some point during the procedure.

The safest part about that unit is the bright color of "DANGER RED" its painted

The bead breaker on the bottom is the useful part to me, actually, but once I managed to overextend it trying to push a bead off and almost took my fingers off.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #25
akabeton OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Heidenau K76 now on

Tires on. Will give a report on them down the road. They look like they should do the job.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #26
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,000
Why is your bike so shiny???
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #27
akabeton OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Shining ;-p

Recently acquired.
Hoping to get it dirty very soon.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #28
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,287
After you get it dirty I hope you wash it! Sometimes I wonder about GS riders. Maybe they should go to a AMA MX National and check out the bikes before the races. They're spotless. It's pretty much the same story with any kind of dirt bike competition. Real dirt bikes get cleaned! It's an essential part of maintaining the bikes! That's what cleaning bikes is really all about. Oh well, it's not only the GS types IMO. The other crowd is the non HD cruiser crowd. They tend to have filthy bikes too. At least I don't work on them! :)
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #29
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Old 04-22-2012, 10:53 PM   #30
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post

Stage, i'm on the Detail and Bucket Squad for the PD if you ever race down here