Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #16
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR302 View Post
Hey ride! Good RR going here. Looks like you are getting your ducks in a row. Good plan to take off tomorrow. Sooner is always better than later to start a trip. I rode over The Gorge on a trip in 2010. WV is a great place to ride. I gotta get back there again. Looking forward to meeting you next Thursday in Memphis. I'll be heading out from south Fla on Tuesday.
Oh and when you are in the Fla panhandle near the Gulf you might want to try a fried oyster sammich. Yummm! See you next week.

I love how this has crossed over from the Triumphrat site to this site DWR. All things equal

Sooo tomorrow we get on with a ride report. Stay tuned. I'm looking for the odd and forgotten places down south.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:17 AM   #17
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Locked and loaded...

Tom Waits
Old 04-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #18
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Lot's of slab today so really no pics from the road. I took I-81 south to Carlisle Pa and had enough of that stuff so headed west on 641. I had an offer from an inmate on the tent space thread but decided to head in a different direction. Figured I'd make it to a state forest to camp tonight but I was running out of daylight. Stopped in this little crossroads town to ask about camping and the owner of the store sent me to a christian camp just down the road. Works for me $20 for a campsite or $16 for a cabin...hmmmmm. I'm in the lap of luxury tonight.

Complete with toaster and cover

and protection from evil spirits

My bed!!!!

Dinner from the store that gave me directions. Pork BBQ and diner chips...

Luna moth

and I think this is Shippensburg but maybe not.

That's all I've got for today but I'm only 45 minutes from WV and no more slab for me. I'll get some pics tomorrow on the way to New River Gorge Bridge.

All the church ladies are heading home from the camp as I type. They've been working in the kitchen prepping for a wedding tomorrow. It really is a decent place though and for the price can't be beat. Check it out if you're ever passing through Roxbury PA.

Just checked the forecast and it looks like I'll be dry until tomorrow afternoon. Storms rolling in around noon. I'll try to find a Motel Hell near the gorge with wifi and hang out there for the afternoon and night. Sunday looks very good so I'll be wandering around WV for awhile and heading to the Kickstand Campground Sunday evening.
Hitting the sack early tonight so I can get an early start.

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 04-20-2012 at 06:00 PM
Old 04-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #19
sgio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Subscribed

Sounds like a great trip. I am looking forward to following along!
sgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:39 AM   #20
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Up early, 5:00. Looks like I should hit Fayetteville, WV around noon. Nice twisty back roads all the way from here. Hope I can find a dry place to hang out at when I get there. Time to go find coffee. I have my Jetboil but forgot to buy coffee.

Tom Waits
Old 04-21-2012, 09:24 AM   #21
advantagecp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4321 View Post
There are so many great ride reports here that a simple loop like mine seems uneventful.
lol. It looks like a great trip for one of us mere mortals. I had a chuckle when I read this, though. Spend a few hours here and anything less than selling all your belongings and setting out on a world tour on your 70's two-stroke can seem pedestrian.
advantagecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #22
DWR302
Justan Nudderboomer

Oddometer: 127
Hey Ride! Excellent score on your accomodations. And the gourmet meal looks perfect. What's better than pulled pork and a cold beer? And it's true about the Uber adventures. How many of us can do those? There is a lot of neat things to discover right here in the US of A if you cross the country taking all the little roads.
DWR302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #23
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by advantagecp View Post
lol. It looks like a great trip for one of us mere mortals. I had a chuckle when I read this, though. Spend a few hours here and anything less than selling all your belongings and setting out on a world tour on your 70's two-stroke can seem pedestrian.
It's so true. Although I've talked to my realtor before and added up my assets (ain't much). These little walks in the park will have to do for now. There was a good thread in Jomamma along these lines recently.

Quote:
Hey Ride! Excellent score on your accomodations. And the gourmet meal looks perfect. What's better than pulled pork and a cold beer? And it's true about the Uber adventures. How many of us can do those? There is a lot of neat things to discover right here in the US of A if you cross the country taking all the little roads.

Scored again today. $35 with wifi (fast!) and a country bar within walking distance.

Tom Waits
Old 04-21-2012, 12:32 PM   #24
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

OK, let's get started. What a great state WV is. I'm really not sure the Smokies will top what I've ridden here both this year and last. Pretty technical stuff and really well maintained roads. Well, not the last 10 miles of twisties with wet clay all over the corners but the rest was awesome. Took off at 6:00 and got into my room by 3:00. That's really early for me to be situated for the day. I would have made it to Fayettesville if I hadn't missed a turn. I ended up about 45 miles north which is probably good since I was able to find the right combination of room and nightlife for a great price.
The weather held out until 12:30 when the rain started but I could have ridden through it, not bad at all, just made those great twisties slower. I did sit part of it out since it looked like it was gonna get bad but it didn't develop. The gear seems waterproof but I didn't hit really bad storms so that remains to be seen.
Got some pics today but mostly just took in the wonderful roads.

Just before getting on the turnpike. Yep, had to slab about 38 miles to get to where I wanted to head south. $4 toll for 38 miles!!! There goes my dinner budget

Breakfast of champions...

mmmmm...beer! My love for you will never die...

One of my favorite places to shoot last year. Came across it again on Rt50 but this time I turned south at the intersection instead of staying west bound. I have a crush on that girl I think

Here's the pic from last years trip west.

Artsy little town of Thomas. I went over and talked to the cute hippy chic working there asking directions and whatnot, just acting like a dirty old man. You guys know what I'm talking about. Sorry, too shy to take a pic but if you're passing through stop and see her. I almost got a room there, she was that cute.

I freakin love WV! I'm serial...

I took advantage of this church's pavillion to lay down and wait out some bad weather. This trip is turning into a religious experience...

didn't take any pics of the road while it was dry, why would I. Since I was tip toeing though while it was wet I didn't mind stopping to shoot a few.

different corner than the one above, really...I mean it

just beautiful

I'm not sure how far Deals Gap is from Fayettesville, haven't checked yet, but I'll bet the roads will be every bit as good tomorrow as they were today if not even better.
Hey, someone told me there's a zipline across the New River Gorge If it doesn't cut into my KLR budget too much maybe you'll get a few pics from that thing tomorrow.

Going to take a little nap and then see if the hillbilly bar up the road serves food. I'll take the camera, don't worry.

Messed around with the camera setting last night and I think I set something wrong. Do these pics look a bit washed out?

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 04-21-2012 at 05:07 PM
Old 04-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #25
DWR302
Justan Nudderboomer

Pics are great. I think its just the hazy atmosphere from the weather. Speaking of which, it looks like the southeast US is gonna have some great weather next week. Maybe a little soggy where you are tomorrow but as you work south it'll get better.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #26
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Pics are great. I think its just the hazy atmosphere from the weather. Speaking of which, it looks like the southeast US is gonna have some great weather next week. Maybe a little soggy where you are tomorrow but as you work south it'll get better.
I haven't checked the long range forecast since yesterday but it looked good. Doesn't make much sense to check too much once you're on the road except to avoid major storms. The destinations can change to a certain point but you pretty much get whats coming regardless.My dad was an avid weather watcher. I think he takes care of providing me with safe riding weather. At least he's been doing a good job so far.

Hmmm. You made me check the forecast. Not really looking all that good here tomorrow, better in the Smokies though but in the 50's. Crap, I could have had that in NY since March. I think I saw snowflakes in the forecast in Fayettesville tomorrow. That might have some impact on my zipline idea. Oh well...

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 04-21-2012 at 03:10 PM
Old 04-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #27
wvboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Looks like a great trip
wvboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #28
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvboy View Post
Looks like a great trip
Where you at in WV wvboy? Come ride with me tomorrow if you're nearby.

Tom Waits
Old 04-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #29
DWR302
Justan Nudderboomer

I have found that the weather forecasters are a bunch of pessimists. Always giving the worst case to cover their behinds. So when they say chance of rain it may be only a small percent. And anyway, if we are on the move towards clear weather we can ride out from under the wet stuff pretty quickly. Or at least thats what I tell myself when I start a day in the rain.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #30
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I have found that the weather forecasters are a bunch of pessimists. Always giving the worst case to cover their behinds. So when they say chance of rain it may be only a small percent. And anyway, if we are on the move towards clear weather we can ride out from under the wet stuff pretty quickly. Or at least thats what I tell myself when I start a day in the rain.
I'm well aware of that DWR. 50% chance of rain means it probably won't do anything. The temps are usually close though and that sucks since I was hoping it would be warm down here but that's no big deal, I brought warm gear.
Went up to the bar for dinner. Not good and nothing like last nights gourmet selection. Had to ring a buzzer to get let in, they had a camera on the front door Ate my crappy boneless wings, drank one beer and got the hell outta there. I'm holing up in my room tonight and will stick to the outdoors for entertainment around here.

There's an old Jeep 4 doors down from my room with a "Rebel Girl" sticker on it. Should I invite her over for a drink?????
Pic to come soon...

sure enough the flash went off. While I was walking back to the room some skinny meth head kid came out of the room. I told him I was just taking a pic of the sticker but if you don't hear from me tomorrow I was last seen at the Laurel Court Motel at the intersection of 15 and 4, 45 minutes north of Fayetteville WV.
I wish I could fit the bike into my doorway tonight.

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 04-21-2012 at 04:39 PM