Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #31
wvboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4321 View Post
Where you at in WV wvboy? Come ride with me tomorrow if you're nearby.
I'm a little south (about 600 miles)

I live near Savannah so we might be able to link up if you decide to ride the coastal route back north.

Your pictures sure make me want to move back to the hills
wvboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #32
nogutsnoglory
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4321 View Post
There's an old Jeep 4 doors down from my room with a "Red Neck Girl" sticker on it. Should I invite her over for a drink?????
Pic to come soon...
I'm heading up to the Ozark Mountain Rat Raid on Thursday from Dallas - have to see your picks of the "Red Neck Girl"...oh and the Jeep too. I'm very jealous of your trip - you're going through some amazing country. See you soon in the Ozarks!
nogutsnoglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:46 PM   #33
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvboy View Post
I'm a little south (about 600 miles)

I live near Savannah so we might be able to link up if you decide to ride the coastal route back north.

Your pictures sure make me want to move back to the hills
Ah, so you aren't in WV. I really want to see the Savannah area. I'll touch base with you when/if I head that way. I'm pretty sure I will. The only thing making me reconsider it is days of coastal riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogutsnoglory View Post
I'm heading up to the Ozark Mountain Rat Raid on Thursday from Dallas - have to see your picks of the "Red Neck Girl"...oh and the Jeep too. I'm very jealous of your trip - you're going through some amazing country. See you soon in the Ozarks!
It's great to see some of you Triumphrat inmates showing up here. Looking forward to meeting you noguts.
Weather is looking a lot better in the Ozarks than in WV. I hope things clear up in the Smokies.

Heck, I've got time to kill tonight. Here's a few more pics...

Wonder what they have stored in this thing? I should have checked to see if it was unlocked...

again...

Wind? Termites? Satan?

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 04-22-2012 at 04:59 AM
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:06 AM   #34
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Holy Zero Visibility Batman!!!

Hangin at McD's till this lifts a little. No point getting to the gorge and not being able to see it. I hope it clears up this afternoon for the BRP section.

Tom Waits
Old 04-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #35
Hank Steele
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Watchin' from Phoenix

Hope it clears up soon. Great pics!
Hank Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #36
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Steele View Post
Hope it clears up soon. Great pics!
Wish you were here

Tom Waits
Old 04-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #37
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Just got off the road for the day and wow, what a road. Started out heading to Fayetteville and I was farther away than I thought. Had to stop and wait for the fog to lift and get my head on straight. Didn't get out of Fayetteville until 1:00 and decided to find another twisty road for the day. Rt16, that's the one you want, all sorts of crazy twists on that thing. It took me all afternoon to go maybe 120 miles. Only logged in around 200 today and I really expected to be closer to the Gap by tonight but I still have close to 250 miles to go tomorrow morning. I'll probably slab it most of the way since I need to save some energy for when I get there. I can't believe how long it took to cover WV but when you wind through it like I did it takes awhile.
Light drizzle most of today and the high was around 45F. Not bad but some sections of 16 were wicked when wet and I had the rear slip on me a few times in hairpins. Exhausting riding but in a good way.

NRGB

can't believe this is the best pic I got of the gorge...

Took a ride down to the river but never did get to see the bridge from below. The road is a bit rough and it started raining so I wanted to get out of there in case it got worse. It took a long time getting down there....

at the end of the road...

what's left of the old suspension bridge...

Came across this building somewhere on 16. It was a shelter for the homeless, maybe it still is

Had to turn back and get this pic. This is a private suspension bridge to the house across the creek. It looks to be there only way in. Must suck moving furniture in.

Mmmmmm

The town of Welsh WV. It's all coal mining country, passed threw plenty of tiny communities of miners.

Again, not many pics of the road, it's just too intense to stop and get pics. Check it out on google earth. Take it if you're in the vicinity. These are the easy corners. Lot's of hairpins today.

Time to relax and maybe soak in a nice hot bath. My body needs to recover from those awesome WV roads. It's going to warm up into the mid 50's tomorrow at the Gap! I'm meeting a buddy there so you'll see his mug show up a few times over the next few days. A Silverwing and a Tiger at the Gap. Killboy will like that I think, that is if he's there. I doubt he will be actually but that's probably a good thing for me.

Moteling it again tonight, not a very nice night for camping. Blowing the budget but I need a nice warm bed tonight. $50! No time to shop around, had to get off the bike before something bad happened. Tomorrow we're splitting a room at the Dragon and Tuesday night is FREE at my Buddy's place. Then I'll have to start camping. It just hasn't made sense to camp so far.

Tomorrows weather for my current location, 33F with snow flurries...seriously?

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 04-22-2012 at 04:20 PM
Old 04-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #38
bucketmonkey
n00b

Hey Ride, that is absolutely gorgeous country. I lived in Pittsburgh for a bit and it looked a lot like that. Glad you are getting closer. 4 more days until we meet up for the Hub.

ps, it's probably best you didn't meet up with the driver of the Jeep.
bucketmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #39
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketmonkey View Post
Hey Ride, that is absolutely gorgeous country. I lived in Pittsburgh for a bit and it looked a lot like that. Glad you are getting closer. 4 more days until we meet up for the Hub.

ps, it's probably best you didn't meet up with the driver of the Jeep.
Yep, she was probably a long term resident there. They had a stone behind the front tire to keep it from rolling away

Looking forward to meeting you in the Ozarks and all the other Rats as well.

Funny that know one seems to know what a gem WV is. I didn't see more than a few bikes over the last two days. More road for me. No cops either.

Tom Waits
Old 04-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #40
DWR302
Justan Nudderboomer

Oddometer: 116
I remember WV the same way. No other bikes to speak of. Felt like the lone ranger at times. Good pics. Ride safe.
DWR302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:00 AM   #41
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR302 View Post
I remember WV the same way. No other bikes to speak of. Felt like the lone ranger at times. Good pics. Ride safe.
I thought that was strange last year crossing the state on July 4th. Beautiful day and I hardly saw any bikes at all on rt 50. No cars either for that matter.

Up early, couldn't sleep. I'll be on the road by 6:30. I think there'll be a few pics of snow to share today.

Tom Waits
Old 04-23-2012, 06:01 AM   #42
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Interesting riding this morning.

Snow for the first 60 miles of so. Stopped at McD's for a warm up. Still snowing.

I'm just getting out of the snow but it's cold and wet and I only got another 25 miles in before needing to stop and warm up again. I hope I see dry roads soon and that 55F forecast for the Gap this afternoon sounds really good right now.

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 04-23-2012 at 06:09 AM
Old 04-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #43
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Afternoon ride:

We finally got a chance to read your ride report and sounds like it's still winter down that way! Turns out that your lodging Friday night was only 20 minutes from our house and we didn't even know they offered lodging to the general public there, now we know. The picture you thought was of Shippensburg is actually in Carlisle, PA. You were only a short ride from some of my home folks in Cunard, WV while you were checking out the area under the New River Bridge. Hopefully the weather will improve a bit and you'll have warmer temps and sunny blue skies for the rest of your ride. If your in need of a place to crash on your way back north your welcome here. Enjoy your ride and we look forward to reading the rest of your ride report.

"The Rides Never Loing Enought!"

Jeff (SoPaRider) & Karen (SoPaGuider)

'94 DR350SER/'96 DR350/441SET Hybrid
'07 DL650AK7 V-Strom (wee-strom)
SoPaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #44
bucketmonkey
n00b

Wow, in just 3 days you will be riding in the mid 80's, weird eh?
bucketmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #45
DWR302
Justan Nudderboomer

Oddometer: 116
Wazzup Ride?
DWR302 is offline   Reply With Quote