Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2012, 05:57 PM   #46
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,846
Sorry I haven't posted in so long. No wifi last nite or tonite. We just got to my buddies lake house in Bama. I'll post more in the morning when I find a connection.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #47
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4321 View Post
Sorry I haven't posted in so long. No wifi last nite or tonite. We just got to my buddies lake house in Bama. I'll post more in the morning when I find a connection.

If you make it to south Alabama, PM me and I'll buy you lunch.

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:13 PM   #48
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AST236 View Post
If you make it to south Alabama, PM me and I'll buy you lunch.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Rethinking my route though and will decide where I'm going after a few days in the Ozarks. I already miss the mountains and the flat stuff doesn't seem like such a good idea right now.

Tom Waits
Old 04-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #49
TriumphJon
Girlie Rider

Oddometer: 15
Great report, Ride! I grew up in northern Alabama. You can find good roads there. Safe travels! I'm headed to the Ozark Raid from Ohio on Thursday. Look forward to meeting you there and following the rest of your RR!

Jon
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100
TriumphJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:03 AM   #50
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

See you in a few days Jon. I'm heading that way now and will probably miss riding over with the guys that are meeting in Memphis.

These last two days were great. Cold, sure. Snowy even. But I got to ride with and see a friend I haven't seen in probably 30 years. We played in a band together in high school, were room-mates in together in Ithaca for awhile and for a few years his mother and mine were in neighboring rooms in the nursing home together. He was supposed to bring his fiddle or mandolin but couldn't fit it in. Anyhow, he had about the same distance to cover coming from Nashville as I had from Richlands VA Monday morning and we met in Marysville almost at the same time. Great spending some time with him again.
The ride Monday morning sucked for the first few hours, cold and snowy with a mix of rain. About 1/2 way to Marysville the sun came out and the rest of the day was decent although cold when the sun wasn't shining. Got the the Dragon around 2:30. No wifi or cell reception there so that's why this is so late getting posted.
The Dragon is worth the trip, if only for the intensity of riding it. I did pretty good I think and didn't end up on the tree of shame. There was a group of sport bikes from Michigan that didn't fair so well. Four of them went down on Monday. I didn't see any of it but there were 4 photographers there so one of them may have caught something.
I'm in Alabama now and will likely head straight over to the Ozarks today. I left the mountains too soon and it felt odd riding straight roads today. I'll head west and go through the northern regions of Alabama and Mississippi then up into the Ozarks. Still undecided about heading back home along the coastline. A little time near the ocean would be nice but multiple days riding straight lines and dealing with traffic doesn't really sound that appealing right now. I'll figure that out in a few days. Don't be surprised if I end up taking a route similar to my ride down on the way back home.

Pics from Monday...

Passed the Bush Bean factory. Man, that's a big place. Lot's 'O Beans...

This cool place was near there but not open. Would have liked to see inside. I'm a huge American Pickers fan...

My buddy Ron and the mighty Silverwing. That thing has some serious get up and go...

My own Killboy shot. Go ahead guys, tear it apart

Curvy

Ron's Silverwing...Is the Yellow Wolf behind him????

Welcome to the Dragon...

Then off to the Cherohala on Tuesday...

I own a pair of shoes in this condition and still wear em...

Great riding with you Ron...

Ahhhhhhhhhh...

Destination Alabama, Tennessee River (lake). Spent the night here...

Thanks for the hospitality guys...

This was Ron's first trip on his bike. I think my work here is done

Heading to the Natchez Trail. I'll ride a bit of it and head west towards Arkansas. It's warm today and the sun is shining.

Link to some photos from the Dragon. My pics start at photo 129. Have at it...

http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Or...&po=127&pc=175

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 04-25-2012 at 08:31 AM
Old 04-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #51
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Crossed the Miss. Into Ark at Memphis around 5:30. Camping in Harrisburg tonite. Wicked wind from W Miss to hear. Beautiful nite. Not many pics coming from today's ride. Where the heck is the dilapitated Miss I was hoping to see? New homes, manicured lawns...how's a guy supposed to get pics? It was a nice ride on rt 4. No traffic, country setting, only went thru 3 towns in the whole state.
Rode next to a harley dude going up 61. At every light he said "don't stop in Memphis". 3 times at least. :-)

Pussy!

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 04-25-2012 at 08:08 PM
Old 04-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #52
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Pissed <<<<<Ignore that

I'm considering skipping bail on this camp site. Got here close to dark, took the first site I found. I think they have free primitive camping. Took a really nice shower tonite. I wake up early, would that really be so bad? Nice park but I've over budget with rooms. Be honest. I know what youalll will say.
If it makes a difference I had to blow $20 on a new low beam bulb today. (flame face was supposed to go here)

4/26

Lot's of easy riding today and yesterday. Straight lines and no traffic. I should be back in some twisties before too long. About 120 miles from Harrison AR right now. Easy day with an early start. The weathers great but this wind is keeping me leaned over most of the last 200 miles. My right ear is blocked and driving me crazy. I think the wind blew all the wax from my left ear into my right.

Mississippi...

Nachez Trace...

Fer Hanging??????

Gotta have at least one Peach pose...

Not much to shoot on Rt. 4 but no complaints, nice road...

Holly Springs, Miss. One of the 3 towns I passed thru in this state...

Was expecting to see more of this...

Finally...

Beautiful night. Free camping since I was gone before the ranger showed up. Woke up early and wasn't going to hang around just to pay. No place to leave money and no fee's posted anywhere. I know, I should have left something.

Can anyone explain this method of farming to me?

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 04-26-2012 at 07:55 AM
Old 04-26-2012, 09:20 AM   #53
bucketmonkey
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hangman??!

Me thinks the rope is for swingin' into the water silly.

As for the type of farming, it may be a rice field.

I wouldn't worry about the camp fee, all you took was water, and there's no shortage of that in this part of the country.

Sucks about the bulb, glad you were able to find one out there.

Have a good ride, we'll miss you at lunch.
bucketmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #54
brgsprint
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I finally joined this forum so I could follow your adventures.

I took a similar trip last May. You take more pictures in a day than I took in a month. I tried to post a picture each day. Thanks for all you post and your comments. Interesting reading and great pictures. Looking forward to more.

Keith
brgsprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #55
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgsprint View Post
I finally joined this forum so I could follow your adventures.

I took a similar trip last May. You take more pictures in a day than I took in a month. I tried to post a picture each day. Thanks for all you post and your comments. Interesting reading and great pictures. Looking forward to more.

Keith
Photos make the miles pass slowly Keith But I smoke so it give me a good reason to stop.

Tom Waits
Old 04-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #56
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thursday

Got to Harrison around 1:30. Took a lot of stops but not many pictures.

Stopped and got a haircut from this cutie.. She came out to check the bike out while I was gearing up. I think she wanted a ride.

Arkansas is nicer than Miss by a long shot.

Will write more but need to socialize.

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 04-26-2012 at 03:55 PM
Old 04-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #57
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

A few pics from the Triumphrat gathering. I'm liking it here. Very nice hearing all these triples coming in.

I'm here for a few days. Tomorrow we'll ride the Ozarks and then I have to sit down and figure out which way I'm coming home. I might head north and hug the Great lakes. I might go back though the Smokies. I think the shoreline is out of the question. Boring.

Tom Waits
Old 04-26-2012, 10:32 PM   #58
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketmonkey View Post
Me thinks the rope is for swingin' into the water silly.

As for the type of farming, it may be a rice field.

I wouldn't worry about the camp fee, all you took was water, and there's no shortage of that in this part of the country.

Sucks about the bulb, glad you were able to find one out there.

Have a good ride, we'll miss you at lunch.
Sure, it looks like a swinging rope for swimmin but I think it's a hangin rope and I am standing by that.

Tom Waits
Old 04-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #59
CarefulRider
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Greetings from home.

Well blast & phoey:!

It's a crying shame that you have to begin to think about the return trip this soon. Looking at it positively, though, returning home allows one to re-live & ponder the pleasures of the trip, draw conclusions & use them to plot & plan for the next adventure ride.

That rain & snow at the beginning of your riding was not congenial, to say the least; that's how it has been here, more or less, since you left. Believe me, you have missed nothing. This wk end is predicted to be sunny with a high of 45 if you please. Normal highs for this time of the yr are in the low 60s. Welcome to the new normal!?

Feelings of fun & excitement come over me as I read your words & take in the photos, respectively. My sympathies on your having to contend with the high winds! I agree, a short stretch of straight coastal road is adequate. It's different if it's a twisting coastal road. You'll probably be happier for choosing an inland path on your return journey.

As usual, we at work, wonder how you are faring on a daily basis! Know that it is nice, indeed, to share your journey through the ride report. Thank you.

Cheerio from Ashoke
Old 04-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #60
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Friday 4/27

Having a blast here with all these triples surrounding me. Rode with my tent buddy's this morning, 2 Tiger 955 's, 800 and my 1050. Great guys and they ride at my speed.
Rear tire was on it's last miles this morning, it happened quick. Ran into town and got a new one mounted in no time. Scrubbed it in a bit this afternoon and I'm ready to go tomorrow. I'll be sticking around til Sunday, these guys are all cool here and it's just nice being around everyone. It's sort of cool hanging out in one place with like minded people for a few days. The riding isn't bad either.

Found this middle school today. The kids were waving to us and that damn teacher closed the door. Smallest middle school I've ever seen.

Tigers in a row...

Ahhhhh...

Pulled into the parking lot to see these guys waving me down. These are the guys from Triumphrat that I was supposed to meet in Memphis for lunch yesterday. The guy with the doorag is Dennis from down under. He's here on an extended ride for the next year. Great meeting these guys finally and I hope to ride with them tomorrow.

Not much to write. There's peeps to talk to. I'll write more one I get back to traveling solo on Sunday. I'm hanging here an extra day, too much fun to take off tomorrow.

Tom Waits