User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #61
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
4/28 Saturday

Today I rode with members from the Triumphrat forum. One of the members father led the ride (he's local) on his Goldwing. 250 miles with some great twisties. Our Aussie member kicked my ass in the corners with his Bonnie. Guess I still have a lot to learn but I'm getting there. 4 Bonnies, 1 Wing, 1 Tiger. Members: Steven (Bucketmonkey), Bob (Stevens dad), Dennis (Dogtired), Dave (DWR???), Mark (Irishguy), and Me.

The Wing has gone to the dark side. That tire seemed to do ok in the corners though. I'll never put one on but he's been running a car tire for 3 years with no issues. Opinions welcome

Smoke break

Lunch...

Mmmmmmmm....

Purdy girls...

Dennis molesting yet another North American animal. Stop that crap man!

No chance to stop for pics other than breaks. I'll take my time leaving the Ozarks tomorrow and try to get some scenery for ya. Still not sure which way I'm heading but leaning towards the Smokies again.
Time for a group photo, banquet and then winning the Bonnie so I have a reason to come back on a fly and ride. Wish me luck.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 04-28-2012 at 03:47 PM
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #62
jonpard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Headin Home

Hey Jim, I'm really enjoying your report. Maybe next time I'll tag along. You take some great pictures, I especialy liked fridays #5, of the bikes through the fence, you got a great shot of the bird crap. Just kidding, this is a fun trip to follow. Keep up the great work, and ride safe my friend. If I can meet you on your way home and ride a spell with you, let me know were, I could take friday off. If not, feel free to stop by. Say hi to the Triumphrat's for me.

Jon
jonpard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #63
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpard View Post
Hey Jim, I'm really enjoying your report. Maybe next time I'll tag along. You take some great pictures, I especialy liked fridays #5, of the bikes through the fence, you got a great shot of the bird crap. Just kidding, this is a fun trip to follow. Keep up the great work, and ride safe my friend. If I can meet you on your way home and ride a spell with you, let me know were, I could take friday off. If not, feel free to stop by. Say hi to the Triumphrat's for me.

Jon
Hey Jon, good to hear from you. It's a long ride here if you go the way I did but well worth it. I hate to leave tomorrow. The roads are just wonderful and you'd love riding this area.
I got the award for farthest traveled. Well, I sort of shared it with Dennis (Dogtired) from Australia but obviously he didn't ride here. I was honored to be in his company riding today and sharing the honor of longest distance here.
Lot's of S3"s here and none of them crashed. I think you should buy one before attending one of these events. How about doing the Dragon Raid in September (12th I think).

Tom Waits
Old 04-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #64
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I mentioned it before I think but I'll repeat it again, I normally prefer riding alone and staying to myself on trips. I had my doubts about an event like this to be honest, thought 2 days would be more than enough. Well, I'm gonna eat those words. Everyone I met here was interesting and I had a blast spending time with like minded riders. I made some good friends this weekend that I hope to stay in touch with and hopefully ride with again. They're all welcome in my house if they come north and I think I would be in there's as well. I didn't have a bad riding companion all weekend and honestly that shocks me, I might have held a few back on a turn or two but they were cool with that. I will be a bit sad to leave tomorrow.

Men behaving badly....

Lot's of Rats...

Two great guys here. Dennis, you WILL be stopping in Binghamton on your way to Maine. Steven, we'll be getting together somewhere to ride again. You guys were a a blast....

Just how much do you really need to light up the road? Seriously though, I'm envious. Tiger 1050 riders know what I'm talking about...

I suck with names and sorry I forgot yours. Enjoyed talking to ya, didn't get to ride with ya...

There's something missing with this report. Can't really explain what it is. I don't think I have much to say really. When I was traveling west there were new things to see, every day was exciting. These mountains seem familiar. They're a bit taller and the roads are 100 times better than I have at home, but it's not awe inspiring, just wonderful riding. I don't think I need to tell most of you how that goes.You wake up early, get ready and spend the day riding very well laid out roads. It's natural here in the Ozarks as it was was in the Smokies. Ride until you're tired and starting to get sloppy in the turns and then get back to home base. Rinse and repeat.
When I picked this route it was partially planned to see if I could find a location I'd like to move to some day in the future.Tuff choices. The Smokies are wonderful and fairly close to home base, The Ozarks are exceptional but it's hot in the summer and cold in the winter, two season territory from what I hear. Does Utah still win out? Probably. But any one of these places is never going to be a bad choice. I know, I should include Colorado. Hey, I'm trying to make the choices easier so I' going to leave that out for the time being.
It smells wonderful here in Arkansas, sort of a sweet smell.

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 04-29-2012 at 05:30 PM
Old 04-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #65
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

4/29 Sunday

Beat feet as far east as possible today. Wanna try and keep my ride tomorrow to the Gap as short as possible so I'm not beat when I get there. Did about 420 miles I think but it felt like more. Nice ride for the first few hours in Arkansas, then I hit the flat lands and the wind picked up for awhile. Headed east on Rt 412 towards the northwestern corner of Tenn.. Left Harrison around 8:30 and got the Columbia Tenn where I'm camping around 7:00. I picked back roads when I got in Tenn and did about 50 miles on I-40. Found some nice twisties that lasted about 10-20 miles just before hitting I-40. From I-40 down it was all country riding.

Some place in Ark on 412...

Tried to get a close up of this guys vest but failed. It said "Will Preach for Food"...

Flatlands of eastern Ark...

About 20 miles before the Mississippi I ran across this town...

Purdy girl at the convenience store in Kennett. Relative of Sheryl....

Seemed like it took forever to get to this river. Didn't reach it until 2:30 or so...

After a few miles west of the Mississippi the flat farm land changed to this...

Looks like close to 300 miles on mapquest but it won't route the way I'm going and I'm too tired to fiddle with it. There's a zigzag pattern from here that's all back roads and I'm guess it's more like 250 miles.

I really enjoyed crossing Tenn on the back roads and from here it'll be more of the same. Should get interesting as I get further east.

I just had this really creepy long haired gay kid come over to me and bum a smoke. I'm by the office charging the puter. If he follows me back to the campsite and I hear banjos I'm getting out of here.

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 04-29-2012 at 06:13 PM
Old 04-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #66
sean.flynn
n00b

Oddometer: 2
So I'm looking at your route, and I can't help but notice that it takes you on either I-10 or Hwy. 98 through the Florida Panhandle... as a former resident of the area, may I suggest taking Hwy. 98 from Pensacola to Panama City, then popping up to take SR-20 to Tallahassee?

a) Highway 98 has gorgeous view of the water, and takes you straight by McGuire's Pub in both Pensacola and Destin, Fla, which you ought not to miss... the steaks and burgers and beer and especially the boxtys are legendary.

b) hwy 90 and i-10 are boring as hell. trees, trees, and more trees. there's a waffle house and a whataburger in Crestview, a truck stop in Marianna, and thaaaaat's about it between Pensacola and Tallahassee (if you take 90 or 10).

c) Did I mention beach and water and the people who flock to said beaches and waters?

If you need convincing, let me provide some photographic evidence.

This is Destin:

The green pointy neons to the left of the pic are McGuire's.

This is I-10:

Ignore the douchebag in the Mustang. See the trees to either side? This is I-10 for the 197 miles between Pensacola and Tallahassee. It's also straight as a ruler. Sound like fun? Nah. ;)

best of luck!

sean.flynn screwed with this post 04-29-2012 at 10:04 PM
sean.flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #67
dogtiredRAT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Now this was funny.
When I first spotted it i coulda swore you were eating it through your helmet.

Had a ball riding with you, safe travels, and see you soon.

Dog.
dogtiredRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:40 AM   #68
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oh my!!!! what a great ride this morning. I'm into the mountains and just dropping some of this mornings pics before I forget and get carried away with these roads. On route 30 in Pikesville

WOOHOO!!!!!!!

Tom Waits
Old 04-30-2012, 07:59 AM   #69
brgsprint
n00b

Oddometer: 4
That Benz limo is sporting the Redneck Stretch (up).
brgsprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #70
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean.flynn View Post
So I'm looking at your route, and I can't help but notice that it takes you on either I-10 or Hwy. 98 through the Florida Panhandle... as a former resident of the area, may I suggest taking Hwy. 98 from Pensacola to Panama City, then popping up to take SR-20 to Tallahassee?
best of luck!
Thanks for the info Sean but my route has changed, needed more mountains. Back in the Smokies where I'll probably stay put for a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtiredRAT View Post
Now this was funny.
When I first spotted it i coulda swore you were eating it through your helmet.

Had a ball riding with you, safe travels, and see you soon.

Dog.
Dennis, great riding with you and finally getting to meet you. I saw your report last night and see that hail didn't get you and beat you to a bloody pulp. Glad to see that. See ya in the north>

Tom Waits
Old 04-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #71
DWR302
Justan Nudderboomer

Oddometer: 116
Ride, was great to meet you and put on some miles together. I totally understand your change of plans. Good choice. Twistie roads. Good. Maybe we'll meet again at a future RAT Raid.
DWR302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:48 PM   #72
jonpard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Homeward

Jim, let me know where your gonna be on wed. maybe I can take a day and meet you friday.

Jon
jonpard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #73
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR302 View Post
Ride, was great to meet you and put on some miles together. I totally understand your change of plans. Good choice. Twistie roads. Good. Maybe we'll meet again at a future RAT Raid.
Great riding with you two Dave. I take it you made it home in one piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgsprint View Post
That Benz limo is sporting the Redneck Stretch (up).
That was the town of Spencer, way up in the hills. I got the fuzzy hat guy there too, right across the street. He wanted me to stay and talk awhile. I talked but with my earplugs in didn't hear much of what he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpard View Post
Jim, let me know where your gonna be on wed. maybe I can take a day and meet you friday.

Jon
Jon. I think I'm coming up the BRP and will be somewhere in PA on Friday. I'll give you a call Thursday night and give you a better idea where.

Tom Waits
Old 05-01-2012, 07:26 AM   #74
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

At the Robbinsville McD's getting caught up online and with the phone. Camping at the Dragon and there's no cell or wifi there so I'll get online when I have a chance. Didn't get to the Dragon until after 3:00 because I went to the Iron Horse planning on staying there. They have wifi but no food (Mon & Tues) or beer. Screw that, ended up at the Dragon.
I'm gonna ride around here today and tomorrow find the BRP and start heading home. Not sure I'll deal with that 45MPH speed limit but it'll be a nice way to wrap up this ride. No coastline, who needs that nonsense.

Came across this fire tower, 374 feet tall! Locked up and couldn't climb it...

and of course our daily dose of southern charm...

The Cherohala again...

The Dragon...

It's Two Stroke week at the Dragon Resort. Ring-a-ding-ding-ding...

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 05-01-2012 at 07:35 AM
Old 05-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #75
brgsprint
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Thanks for the eye candy - scenery, bikes and other sweets.

I rode the length of the BRP last May and loved the ride. Very little traffic. I was only a little over the speed limit (honest officer) but it was a great ride and the scenery was everywhere.
brgsprint is offline   Reply With Quote