Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #76
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by brgsprint View Post
Thanks for the eye candy - scenery, bikes and other sweets.

I rode the length of the BRP last May and loved the ride. Very little traffic. I was only a little over the speed limit (honest officer) but it was a great ride and the scenery was everywhere.
I'm thinking it'll be a nice ride. Sort of looking forward to it except for that fact that it takes me home.

Just grabbing a quick bite after a nice loop around the mountains today. Better post my pics while I have wifi.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #77
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

One of these (she was sweet to talk to)...

Some of these...

and of course some more of these...

then I got on some of this...

Note: I was sitting in a corner at the Dragon taking a break and watching people go by. A group of cruisers came by with a trike at the tail end. This was a switchback corner. The trike had all 3 tires well into the other lane, he was going slow. That place is just not safe with guys like that out there riding. Tried to get a pic but I missed the shot.

which led to some of this...

Tom Waits
Old 05-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #78
jonpard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
two strokes

Wow, I'd have gone nuts looking at all those two strokes. That RD I had is one bike I really miss. I've always liked the two stroke street machines. Very nice.

Jon
jonpard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #79
DWR302
Justan Nudderboomer

Oddometer: 123
Cool two smoke pics Ride ! I'll bet those peaky power bands could be interesting on the Dragon. I took a ride on a Kaw 500 triple back in the day. At first not much power then suddenly all of it right now!
DWR302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:54 AM   #80
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

5/2 Wednesday

This is my second taste of moonshine on this trip and this was far better than the last I had in the Ozarks. The Ozark stuff wasn't bad, but this was very good...

Beautiful morning, got an early start that looked like this...

Ran into this fellow ADV inmate in Bryson City. Forgot his user name already...

Nice meeting ya. Thanks for starting my day off with a big ass smile.

Tom Waits
Old 05-02-2012, 05:57 AM   #81
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpard View Post
Wow, I'd have gone nuts looking at all those two strokes. That RD I had is one bike I really miss. I've always liked the two stroke street machines. Very nice.

Jon
You really should have been here this week Jon, you would have had a great time with these guys, I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR302 View Post
Cool two smoke pics Ride ! I'll bet those peaky power bands could be interesting on the Dragon. I took a ride on a Kaw 500 triple back in the day. At first not much power then suddenly all of it right now!
I'd have gotten into trouble riding one there I'm sure. It was cool hearing them buzzing all around the Dragon.

Tom Waits
Old 05-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #82
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Crossed the VA border around 6:30 and decided to find a room for the night instead of searching for a campsite. I saved a lot on all these camping days. 3 nights in the Ozarks were only $10 a nite with wifi and $1 ice cold beers. The place in TN was $16 and the Gap Motorcycle Lodge was $12.50 with a free bag of ice each nite but no wifi or cell. I've plopped my butt down in an AC room to get back in touch with the world tonight. I'm in Galax VA at a Red Roof Inn. Decent place and it doesn't stink like poo like the other two that I looked at.

I got on the BRP around 9:30 and I was elated with it. Just beautiful and not many people on the road yet.

Lot's of really dark tunnels. I took my sun glasses off after the first on and used my flip down tinted visor after that. It throws you off since the bikes lights don't do much of anything in the dark. You Tiger owners know what I'm talking about...

Had a great lunch at the Piscah Inn on the parkway. The smoked BBQ brisket sammich with slaw on it (they threw that in for free) was delicious!

Pulling out of the parking lot I spotted this beauty. The day was getting even better...

On more look before the tourists showed up....

Well, things got a bit like playing leap frog for an hour or two. I'd (illegally) pass to get by a few rubber neckers, get far enough ahead to pull in to a pull off to see if there was a pic there and whip back on the road before they caught up with me. Then I got behind too douchbags on a pair of color coordinated Can Am trikes. I'm starting to hate these more every day although I did think they were cool when I first saw one. Like a couple of ducks going down the road and they were even leaning into the turns. Wish I'd gotten a pic but at this point my tolerance was wearing thin. Luckily I was running low on gas so I guess I did about 150 mile of that road before I threw in the towel. Got back to the civilized world for gas and decided that was enough of the parkway. Who knows I may hop back on for awhile tomorrow but I doubt it.

Apparently all the X-Mas trees in the country are grown in NC. I saw endless tree farms once back on the normal tarmac...

For the first time in 3 days I finally checked the forecast. Doesn't look terrible but I might hit a few T-storms tomorrow and Friday might get a bit worse. All in all it doesn't look like endless rain which is good and it seems fitting since I had the same heading down in the same regions. The weather down south was great, even hot most days. No complaints there at all. Camping in the Ozarks was very comfy and this week at the Smokies pretty much the same.
Sad to be heading home but happy it didn't rain for 2 weeks straight.

Almost forgot, here's that awesome sammy...

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 05-02-2012 at 05:13 PM
Old 05-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #83
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

"Deep Thoughts" now that I have time to write them down:

I've become a much better rider having spent almost all of this trip on crazy twisty roads. I think I've only done about 400 miles of interstate and most of that was in PA. Seems everywhere I've ridden has something new to throw at ya. The Smokies can be vicious but that's where you learn your capabilities. Good lessons learned and I only touched the center line a few times, never crossed it.

I've spent a lot of time at motorcycle resorts. Motorcyclists are very good to hang with. All the Triumphrat clan were a blast and have serious riding skills. The 2-smokers the last few days...well they're special in their own way.

WV kicks ass.

The Smokies kick ass.

The Ozarks kick ass.

If I was going to move it would be to the Smokies.

Last but not least, there are a lot of people out there that still don't know that Triumph still makes bikes.

Tom Waits
Old 05-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #84
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

5/4 Thursday

Back home tonight after 560 miles of interstate. Got up this morning and was packing the bike up, glanced over at the interstate ramp right next door and figured what the hell. I had done and seen enough and felt like munching miles and putting this ride to bed. This will give me a day to get things done before I pic up my kids tomorrow evening and being gone two weeks I have a few things to do around here, mainly clean the bugs off the Tiger

Fire on the mountain...

I-81 for 10 hours. Lots of miles but easier than 300 in the twisty stuff. It was a nice break actually and occasionally you just have to eat up the miles...

Laptop set up for browsing while driving?

2 weeks worth of bugs. Lot's of yellow ones...

Made it back just in time for happy hour at the Blind Tiger!

to meet my friends Bernadette and Kevin...

and a nice cold beer and pizza served by these lovely young women...

I'll wrap this up tomorrow if I think of any interesting thoughts about the trip. Basically it was just 2 weeks of wonderful riding. If you haven't visited the Smokies or Ozarks find time to.

Question:

I was coming through Scranton and this kid on a sport bike came off the ramp and followed behind me (helmet strapped on the seat, no gear, you know what I'm talking about). Anyhow, everyone slowed down in front of us for a cop sitting in the median. Not really thinking I found myself getting back up to speed and realized the cop still had me in his sight, I was thinking clearly at this point obviously. Anyhow the kid was still on my tail, sticking right with me. The cop pulled out all lit up and falls in behind the kid. The kid pulled over, I just kept going. If he wanted me he should have pulled alongside and motioned us both over right? Sure, he might have thought we were together but it would seem illogical since I was packed and geared up, the kid, not so much. I expected him to call ahead and have someone waiting for me but apparently he didn't bother. What would you have done?

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 05-03-2012 at 06:19 PM
Old 05-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #85
brgsprint
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Thumb

Are you still at BT (almost 9 pm) or did you get home before the sky opened up?

Great trip. Excellent report.

Lots of envy here.
brgsprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #86
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgsprint View Post
Are you still at BT (almost 9 pm) or did you get home before the sky opened up?

Great trip. Excellent report.

Lots of envy here.
I was home by 7:30 Keith. Sorry I missed you.

Tom Waits
Old 05-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #87
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Although this trip had no real significance to it other than taking a nice long two week break from work and riding some wonderful roads there were some things that came from it past merely riding.

I was able to connect with an old friend I hadn't seen in 30 years. We rode together for 2 days. It was great seeing him again and I actually enjoyed riding with him which surprised me. Thanks for meeting me Ron and congrats on your first road trip;-)

All the people I either rode with or talked and drank with at the Rat Raid were great. To my camp mates from Atlanta, I hope you made it home safely and were able to sleep in a room instead of on picnic tables on your return trip. To my Triumphrat friends, great meeting all of you and finally being able to put a face with a user name.

And to the 2-stroke gang at the Dragon, thanks for letting me hang at the fire with you. That was some great moonshine. I met some guys from Arkansas there the week before, members of this site. If you happen to find this report post up.

Before I left the bar last night a guy who just started riding last year was talking to me. He's about 50 I think. He told me he'd be afraid to take a trip like this on his own. I asked if it was because he didn't trust his bike. That wasn't the problem. Apparently he doesn't feel safe in this country. That always surprises me when I hear those things. I tried to explain the benefits of traveling alone, meeting new people, being open to conversation, that sort of thing, you know. It those things that make a trip memorable really, at least that's how it is to me. I feel sad that so many are under the illusion that it's a bad and scary place out there. It's not.
It's about having a crew like this wave you down as you ride into the parking lot...

or sharing stories and moonshine with guys like this....

Tom Waits
Old 05-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #88
zoid
Dirty Old Hippie

Oddometer: 1,129
Enjoyed your RR and you were spot on as to the reasons to road trip alone. I enjoy the camaraderie of traveling with others, but a solo journey is a whole new experience. It satisfies that indefinable something in my soul.
zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #89
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
Enjoyed your RR and you were spot on as to the reasons to road trip alone. I enjoy the camaraderie of traveling with others, but a solo journey is a whole new experience. It satisfies that indefinable something in my soul.
Most of the RR's here are solo and quite a few are very remote places. Solo in the states is nothing really. Never far from assistance if you need it unless you're out in the desert riding of course.

Tom Waits
Old 05-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #90
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Was just going through the pics I'd taken and found a few more to post. If I'm repeating any, sorry.

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 05-04-2012 at 06:35 PM