Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #91
bucketmonkey
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Great report, I'd say that was a trip to remember. It was nice meeting so many people that I wouldn't have without taking the bike out on an adventure. Of course my trip was shorter, and with fewer people to meet, so I can really respect the longer rides for all it has to offer.
bucketmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:27 AM   #92
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketmonkey View Post
Great report, I'd say that was a trip to remember. It was nice meeting so many people that I wouldn't have without taking the bike out on an adventure. Of course my trip was shorter, and with fewer people to meet, so I can really respect the longer rides for all it has to offer.
Some day maybe I'll look at that distance as a short trip. But for now that was a good distance for two weeks. Didn't have to rush and was able to park my ass for 3 days in the Ozarks and 3 in the Smokies. Much better than last year where every day was a new destination.
So you were able to keep your user name here eh? It's much harder to say something wrong and get banned on this site Steven.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #93
DWR302
Justan Nudderboomer

Oddometer: 130
Great RR and pics Ride. Hope to see you on the road again sometime.
DWR302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #94
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR302 View Post
Great RR and pics Ride. Hope to see you on the road again sometime.
What made this trip special was meeting you guys Dave. You bet we'll meet again on the road somewhere. If you're ever headed to upstate NY you have a place to sleep, eat and drink.
That goes for everyone I met at the Rat Raid and at the Dragon if any of you are reading this.

Tom Waits
Old 05-09-2012, 07:02 AM   #95
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 724
ride4321,

Very enjoyable ride report and pictures, thanks for taking the time to write up and post.

Damn, I think I want a Tiger now!

Cheers,

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #96
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolman View Post
ride4321,

Very enjoyable ride report and pictures, thanks for taking the time to write up and post.

Damn, I think I want a Tiger now!

Cheers,
It's a good bike and lot's of fun to ride. Go get one!

Tom Waits
Old 05-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #97
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,419
Enjoyed the report and pictures. Arkansas my favorite play grounds and I find new roads every time I go.
The field with the levees is indeed a rice field. The young rice is just sprouting. In a bit, the farmer will flood it with water. That's what the levees are for. To control water height. It's the main crop down here.
Hang tuff and thanks for posting.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #98
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
Enjoyed the report and pictures. Arkansas my favorite play grounds and I find new roads every time I go.
The field with the levees is indeed a rice field. The young rice is just sprouting. In a bit, the farmer will flood it with water. That's what the levees are for. To control water height. It's the main crop down here.
Hang tuff and thanks for posting.
I didn't even know we grew rice in this country. The PA/NY farmers would never do that.
On my way back east some of the fields were flooded. So how's the water stay in there anyhow? Seems like it'd just soak into the ground or blow away with those damn high winds out there.

Tom Waits
Old 05-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #99
Buffymcpooter
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4321 View Post

The Wing has gone to the dark side. That tire seemed to do ok in the corners though. I'll never put one on but he's been running a car tire for 3 years with no issues. Opinions welcome.
Great report! I could go to the Smokies every year.

A lot of the heavy touring bikes run car tires, as do I. Smoother ride. Better traction. Lasts twice as long as a motorcycle tire and costs less. I got a flat tire in Georgia and had to put a motorcycle tire on. I whined all the way home.
Buffymcpooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #100
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffymcpooter View Post
Great report! I could go to the Smokies every year.

A lot of the heavy touring bikes run car tires, as do I. Smoother ride. Better traction. Lasts twice as long as a motorcycle tire and costs less. I got a flat tire in Georgia and had to put a motorcycle tire on. I whined all the way home.
It's all up to the rider. I've never heard anyone say they didn't handle well and watching this guy ride convinced me they did just fine in the corners.
You couldn't just plug the flat?

Tom Waits
Old 09-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #101
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

2nd 2012 trip to the Smokies (Sept. 11, 2012)

I had such a good time in the Smokies this spring I had to head back. Again, this is for another Triumphrat gathering, Triumphrat Dragon Raid.
So far in my short riding career I have been traveling alone. Meeting up with fellow inmates in the Ozarks was really enjoyable and I realized how much fun could be had with other like minded people. I had such a good time I ended up going to another Triumph gathering in Bennington VT in June. Well, when I heard about the Dragon Raid earlier this spring I thought I'd probably head down. The Smokies rock and there was no good reason not to. I'll only have a few days down there but the ride down through WV is worth it alone so I'll be heading to the WV back roads tomorrow.
Left work at 2:30 today and slabbed it on I-81 to Hagerstown, MD tonight. Thought I'd make it to the southern edge of PA but after stopping in Carlisle I realized Martinsburg WV was in range. Only made it to Hagerstown though but that's great for getting a late start on a work day. I'm a stones throw from WV and should be on Rt 50 early tomorrow morning.
No pics today but I might share a few of my fleabag motel later on if I get bored.
Can't wait to get back into WV, that state kicks ass for riding. Will be in Cherokee NC by Thursday night so I should have time to find a campsite tomorrow.

Only pic from the ride down today. Should be posted in the Bad Parking thread down in the cellar...
Parking at McD's south of Hometown PA...

My "not so awesome" room at Motel 6. Hey, it seems to be bug free and was only $47. I've stayed in way worse places.

Saweeeeeet! Shower and coffee in the morning. With it getting dark so early camping is going to be more of a challenge than it would have been a month ago but I'll find a spot in WV tomorrow, promise. Why do I feel guilty about staying in a no tell motel?

Got 250 miles in today, not bad for such a late departure.

UPDATE:
Shit, my neighbors just pulled in. Family of five...5 dammit, in the room next to me. Somehow they all fit into a compact pickup. This could be interesting Must drink heavily before going to sleep.

Found tomorrows campsite about 20 miles south of Charleston WV, Little Coal River Campground. They even have wifi. About 310 miles from here. That's a good days riding on WV backroads. Hope to get there before sundown so I can find firewood.

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 09-11-2012 at 07:35 PM
Old 09-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #102
DWR302
Justan Nudderboomer

Hey Ride! Good to see you got on the road again. Have fun in WVA tomorrow and with all the Rats in NC. Be safe.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:18 PM   #103
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hey Ride! Good to see you got on the road again. Have fun in WVA tomorrow and with all the Rats in NC. Be safe.
Thanks Dave. Looks like great weather, just need to decide which roads to try out this time.
Are you going to make it to the raid? Last I knew you were coming but this doesn't sound like that's the case. Still healing?

OK, I'm bored and still have 3 beers to drink before I call it a night.

Brought everything in off the bike and it's all sealed to keep any creepy crawlers from getting into my stuff. Even put my boots on the desk to keep the roaches out of em.

Been suffering from sinus headaches for a week or two. Meds on the table...antibiotics with a mix of pain killers and blood pressure meds all mixed in the vile. Crappy beer to wash it down with. I like crappy beer so that's not an issue. Fighting a headache but I think it's starting to fade away.

No sign of bedbugs

There's some of these guys hanging around but I'm not askeered of them. I have way more in my house.

Think I'll walk around the premises and take flash pics of the meth heads (flash turned on of course). If I don't post tomorrow send the cops to room 331, Motel Hell (666) in Hagerstown.

Back in the room, not much going on out there. A threesome was cooking on a weber but they didn't respond much when I spoke to them so I didn't take a pic but it would have been a good one if I had.

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 09-11-2012 at 09:29 PM
Old 09-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #104
DWR302
Justan Nudderboomer

Yup still healing. I am finding out I don't heal as fast at 65 as I did after my last off in 1969. Go figure! But back then I only broke one foot and one wrist. Did a better job of it this time. Hope your neighbors don't keep you up all night. You might have to stuff some TP in your ears.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #105
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yup still healing. I am finding out I don't heal as fast at 65 as I did after my last off in 1969. Go figure! But back then I only broke one foot and one wrist. Did a better job of it this time. Hope your neighbors don't keep you up all night. You might have to stuff some TP in your ears.
I've got earplugs. Really sorry you can't make it to the Gap though. Funny how it takes longer to heal, go figure. Hope you're on that new Bonnie soon.

Tom Waits