User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2014, 02:42 PM   #1
c4nuck OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Eek Rox Risers

Anyone have them installed that actually likes them?

Perhaps on another bike or sled they work great, but not being able to reach the riser bolts on the F8 to torque properly is sketchy as hell.

The final straw today was when I was backing into parking slot and with the bar turned all the way to the right, throttle cable stretch, no bueno.

I read that the bars can be rotated down to give more cable slack, but to give enough "safety cushion" renders the controls useless IMO.

I do like the 1-1/8" height gained, but the cons far outweigh this.

Anyone found a way to raise handlebars SAFELY without needing new throttle cables and brake lines?
IBA #59085
BC-->TX-->Carribean
c4nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:00 PM   #2
Rider 101
Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 951
Mine fit OK. I also have the GPR damper with under bar mount so the bars are up a fair way. No issues with cables but the brake line is at its limit.

I will take a couple of pics and post later today.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider

Oddometer: 944
Any method that raises the bars more than and
inch or so will likely require longer cables/wires..

The 2" Rox risers can be tightened by moving the
risers such that just one of the two bolts is exposed.
No need to tighten both if the first one is snugged
before swinging up the riser.

Or, replace the torx bolts with Allen bolts and use a
shortened L wrench...
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 05:26 PM   #4
The Maz
Savage

Oddometer: 48
Thumb

My throttle and brake lines were fine. My clutch cable was too short so I built a longer one. BTW mine are the 2 inch rox risers.

The Maz screwed with this post 12-31-2014 at 05:33 PM
The Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 05:27 PM   #5
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,686
Different bike, but same problem.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=74078
Old 12-31-2014, 07:33 PM   #6
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider

Oddometer: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maz View Post
My throttle and brake lines were fine. My clutch cable was too short so I built a longer one. BTW mine are the 2 inch rox risers.
Same here. I got a used clutch cable from an F800gt which is about
5 inches longer. Had to shorten the outer cable for it to fit....
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:50 PM   #7
Dirt wolf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I have the 1 3/4" and found the brake line was too tight at full lock to the right. A no cost fix was to turn the brake line upside down. That was enough to give the slack I needed. I will switch it with a 18 or 19 inch line to do it properly.

As far as moving the risers back; I torqued them to specs in a position that I could reach all the bolts, then I loosen the front bolts and then rotated the bars back and re-torqued the front bolts. I have had no issues at all.

Having the bars forward the 10-15 mm is a big difference in reaching the bars comfortably!

DRZ 400 F800GS

Dirt wolf screwed with this post 01-08-2015 at 06:13 PM
Dirt wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:09 AM   #8
Xan13x
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4nuck View Post
Anyone have them installed that actually likes them?

Perhaps on another bike or sled they work great, but not being able to reach the riser bolts on the F8 to torque properly is sketchy as hell.

The final straw today was when I was backing into parking slot and with the bar turned all the way to the right, throttle cable stretch, no bueno.

I read that the bars can be rotated down to give more cable slack, but to give enough "safety cushion" renders the controls useless IMO.

I do like the 1-1/8" height gained, but the cons far outweigh this.

Anyone found a way to raise handlebars SAFELY without needing new throttle cables and brake lines?
I don't know if there is any difference in the 800 and 800ADV, but the 1.75" risers they make don't seem to cause an tension in my stock cables. Yes, they are a royal pain in the ass to get torqued properly, but it's possible if you get creative with a variety of tools. I wanted them for the height, not so much the front to back adjustment, so I just found the best spot to be able to tighten them properly, and I've had them on for a few months with no issue.

The Natural State.... Where all roads less than four lanes qualify as an adventure.
Xan13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:39 PM   #9
Vandal 62
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
I have Rox risers and ran into similar problems until I figured out how to tighten the properly as mentioned previously. Now they are great, I have no issues with line tension. Hope this helps.
Vandal 62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:01 AM   #10
peteace
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
They had been waiting in the shelf for one year, finally got them installed.
I tightened the front bolts to spec first (risers turned back), then turned the risers to front position, which I wanted (a little tapping with rubber hammer), and tightened the rear bolts to spec.

Not able to test ride yet due to winter, but the first impression is the position of handlebars is now really good. In this position the cables, brake line and windshield don't seem to interfere when handlebars are fully turned to either side.

peteace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:38 PM   #11
Xan13x
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteace View Post
They had been waiting in the shelf for one year, finally got them installed.
I tightened the front bolts to spec first (risers turned back), then turned the risers to front position, which I wanted (a little tapping with rubber hammer), and tightened the rear bolts to spec.

Not able to test ride yet due to winter, but the first impression is the position of handlebars is now really good. In this position the cables, brake line and windshield don't seem to interfere when handlebars are fully turned to either side.

This is pretty much exactly what I did, and exactly what position mine are in. Now, if you try and position them much more differently than the picture, yea you're gonna have a bad time.....

Honestly though, it took a while to get the sequence of tightening right, and there was cursing I guess you could do it the opposite way (IE tighten the rear bolts to spec then rubber hammer them backward and tighten the fronts), but for my height up and a tad bit forward was the goal. I will say, it's a bit disingenuous of Rox to pitch these as like "super crazy adjustable!!" because there is no tool I'm aware of that could get them tightened down without two bolts showing.

The Natural State.... Where all roads less than four lanes qualify as an adventure.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:52 AM   #12
soto48
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thank Pete for the pic, my handle bar is leaning to the back so I have a little tension on my throttle cable. I'll fix it soon Thanks
soto48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:03 AM   #13
Merlin32
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan13x View Post
This is pretty much exactly what I did, and exactly what position mine are in. Now, if you try and position them much more differently than the picture, yea you're gonna have a bad time.....

Honestly though, it took a while to get the sequence of tightening right, and there was cursing I guess you could do it the opposite way (IE tighten the rear bolts to spec then rubber hammer them backward and tighten the fronts), but for my height up and a tad bit forward was the goal. I will say, it's a bit disingenuous of Rox to pitch these as like "super crazy adjustable!!" because there is no tool I'm aware of that could get them tightened down without two bolts showing.
So it's confirmed that the 800GSA has no problems with short cables when installing? I thing in going to have my dealership install/worry about it when I take her in for 600mile service
Merlin32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:33 PM   #14
Arclite
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Not too long ago, I saw a guy using ATV bars in lieu of bar risers. Looked ok and he had a RAM and GPS mount attached to the bar support. But I suspect ATV bars will bend more easily on an m/c get off.

'07 Honda CRF450X; '07 Honda CRF250R; '06 Husqvarna 450SMR; 04 Yamaha YZ250F; '01 Honda FTR223; '00 Kawasaki KZ1000P; '00 Suzuki SV650; '92 Honda VFR400; '86 Honda CR250
Arclite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:26 PM   #15
Xan13x
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin32 View Post
So it's confirmed that the 800GSA has no problems with short cables when installing? I thing in going to have my dealership install/worry about it when I take her in for 600mile service
Not all Rox risers will. They specifically made a model that I think is like "Low Risers" or some such, that are 1 3/4", which is supposed to allow most bikes to keep stock cables.

Mine have plenty of slack at both sides of bar lock.

Here they are: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/r...4-pivot-risers