Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2011, 06:01 AM   #1
xcflyn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,158
f650 sputter and/or dies once in a while ???

My girls f650gs will sometimes sputter and run bad for a few seconds at a time or just up and dies when she lets it go to idle. Seems to do it cold or warm. The bike has about 9500 mi on it and never had anything but oil changes and filters. Never been dropped,kicked, or yelled at (unlike me). We have never gotten a light or any warning. I have a gs911 but doubt it will tell me anything. Always run good gas and has been doing it for the last few fill ups so that eliminates bad gas. Any thoughts on this ?
xcflyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:08 AM   #2
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcflyn View Post
My girls f650gs will sometimes sputter and run bad for a few seconds at a time or just up and dies when she lets it go to idle. Seems to do it cold or warm. The bike has about 9500 mi on it and never had anything but oil changes and filters. Never been dropped,kicked, or yelled at (unlike me). We have never gotten a light or any warning. I have a gs911 but doubt it will tell me anything. Always run good gas and has been doing it for the last few fill ups so that eliminates bad gas. Any thoughts on this ?
This is a twin 650...right..... If yes.... Those symptoms are like the charcoal cannister issue. That is how they stall....rolling off the throttle. The CC could either have some water in it...and not draining properly.... Or some fuel from overfilling..... Then when the purge valve opens ( with fuel) the CC sends in a very rich mixture...... Does is happen under all riding conditions....sun rain...snow...etc.... If this is for the single 650....then disregard my above statements....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:36 AM   #3
Wicket009
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
This is a twin 650...right..... If yes.... Those symptoms are like the charcoal cannister issue. That is how they stall....rolling off the throttle. The CC could either have some water in it...and not draining properly.... Or some fuel from overfilling..... Then when the purge valve opens ( with fuel) the CC sends in a very rich mixture...... Does is happen under all riding conditions....sun rain...snow...etc.... If this is for the single 650....then disregard my above statements....

Erling
If it is the single, then it sounds like the Idle Control. Part number 13537679998. I had similar stalling issues (warm or cold).
Wicket009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
xcflyn OP
Beastly Adventurer

it is a twin. And yes all riding conditions.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #5
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
Throttle Position Sensor reset is needed.(TPS reset). Turn key on, open throttle all the way and close, Slowly 4 times, then start bike. 4 times might be over kill, but so what. That should fix the problem. Good luck.
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:40 AM   #6
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,257
Other thought:

One of the ZFE / ECU firmware updates was to help stalling/drive-ability.
It might be worth applying the latest firmware.

Although ... I have heard that the very latest version of the firmware also does away with the "miles remaining" function if you have the on-board computer....

Warn her of this if she has the OBC ... so you don't get yelled at for something that does NOT deserve it
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:30 AM   #7
xcflyn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crilly View Post
Throttle Position Sensor reset is needed.(TPS reset). Turn key on, open throttle all the way and close, Slowly 4 times, then start bike. 4 times might be over kill, but so what. That should fix the problem. Good luck.

Do I shut turn the switch off then on before starting or just go ahead and start it after doing the throttle roll 4X ?
Old 03-07-2011, 05:38 AM   #8
xcflyn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Other thought:

One of the ZFE / ECU firmware updates was to help stalling/drive-ability.
It might be worth applying the latest firmware.

Although ... I have heard that the very latest version of the firmware also does away with the "miles remaining" function if you have the on-board computer....

Warn her of this if she has the OBC ... so you don't get yelled at for something that does NOT deserve it
Yikes , we count on that miles count down. I ride a 1200 GSA and she many times lets me know how many miles to empty so I can guesstimate our next stop. I know its not 100% accurate but so far we have not run it out. I keep a rotopax under my right bag incase we run it dry. That is one feature we hate to loose.
I had a update on my 1200 last fall, it would die once in a while, so far so good, and no loss of computer function on that. Guess I will do the throttle position first then canister next. Hopefully other options get mentioned before it goes back to a dealer.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:47 AM   #9
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
No, just start the bike after opening & closing the throttle.
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:51 AM   #10
Crazy_Dave
Back'in it in

Oddometer: 582
My 07 F650GS left me hanging this morning with these symptoms. It would start then die if I didn’t give it a little throttle. But if I came to a stop it would die again if I didn’t stay on the throttle.

So….. any update? Did the throttle reset work for you?
Old 07-20-2011, 12:48 PM   #11
L.A. Woman
angel collector

Oddometer: 5,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Dave View Post
My 07 F650GS left me hanging this morning with these symptoms. It would start then die if I didnít give it a little throttle. But if I came to a stop it would die again if I didnít stay on the throttle.

SoÖ.. any update? Did the throttle reset work for you?
Mine did the same thing about a year ago at 20K miles. Everyone (including the mechanic) thought it was the throttle sensor. It wasn't. It needed a new coil. Have it checked out as mine was stalling while riding slow speeds.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:21 PM   #12
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 18,067
Quote:
My 07 F650GS left me hanging this morning with these symptoms. It would start then die if I didnít give it a little throttle. But if I came to a stop it would die again if I didnít stay on the throttle.

SoÖ.. any update? Did the throttle reset work for you?
Your "07" isn't a Twin, right?
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:23 AM   #13
Crazy_Dave
Back'in it in

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Your "07" isn't a Twin, right?
Single cylinder, twin spark.
I did the tps reset last night and it seemed to work. Starts and runs fine,. Let’s hope it stays that way.
But what are some of the solutions other people have found for these problems?
Old 07-21-2011, 07:43 AM   #14
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 18,067
Quote:
Single cylinder, twin spark.
I did the tps reset last night and it seemed to work. Starts and runs fine,. Letís hope it stays that way.
But what are some of the solutions other people have found for these problems?
You need to ask in "Thumpers"; this is the forum for the Parallel Twin.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:52 PM   #15
Hyoma
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcflyn View Post
Do I shut turn the switch off then on before starting or just go ahead and start it after doing the throttle roll 4X ?
So, do you still have the problem after the throttle reset?
Hyoma is offline   Reply With Quote