User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2014, 07:36 AM   #1
Nimi OP
NooB

Oddometer: 140
Tire/wheel Advice

I KNOW there are thousands of threads on the topic; please don't bother pointing that out. I am looking for specific advice to my situation, and would greatly appreciate what some of you think.

I bought DirtRider's Woody's wheels - 19/17, Excel, RAD billet hubs, 42 tooth. Doug, a pleasure working with you.

Here is my riding situation: Two types of riding (1) longish highway and secondary (asphalt) roads, sometime with pillion, never anything crazy; and (2) 20 miles of highway leading to dirt (loose and packed), gravel, occasional puddle, but again, nothing crazy.

My general thoughts are to keep the stock wheels and rubber, upgrade the tires when these wear out for (1). For (2) put new tires on the wheels I just bought to get me to, in and back from the dirty stuff. Quick change is more important than cost. Suspension and damping have already been sorted out.

Questions to the knowledgeable subset of this crew:

1. Is the plan generally sound?
2. Tire combination for the new wheels?
3. For the quick change, would probably get new rotors for the new wheels. Dumb? Suggestions on brand/model that would withstand the dusty roads a little better?
4. Doug put the 42 tooth for highway use, should I bother changing that?
5. While at it, anything else I am forgetting?

Thanks in advance.

Meggie
Nimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:06 AM   #2
YrianX
Viking Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimi View Post
I KNOW there are thousands of threads on the topic; please don't bother pointing that out. I am looking for specific advice to my situation, and would greatly appreciate what some of you think.

I bought DirtRider's Woody's wheels - 19/17, Excel, RAD billet hubs, 42 tooth. Doug, a pleasure working with you.

Here is my riding situation: Two types of riding (1) longish highway and secondary (asphalt) roads, sometime with pillion, never anything crazy; and (2) 20 miles of highway leading to dirt (loose and packed), gravel, occasional puddle, but again, nothing crazy.

My general thoughts are to keep the stock wheels and rubber, upgrade the tires when these wear out for (1). For (2) put new tires on the wheels I just bought to get me to, in and back from the dirty stuff. Quick change is more important than cost. Suspension and damping have already been sorted out.

Questions to the knowledgeable subset of this crew:

1. Is the plan generally sound?
2. Tire combination for the new wheels?
3. For the quick change, would probably get new rotors for the new wheels. Dumb? Suggestions on brand/model that would withstand the dusty roads a little better?
4. Doug put the 42 tooth for highway use, should I bother changing that?
5. While at it, anything else I am forgetting?

Thanks in advance.

Meggie
Congrats on a great wheel set

To be honest though I think a 21" front would work better off-road / dirt / Gravel than 19". But of course it depends on how "wild" you'll go when getting to the off-road parts if it will have much of an impact for your riding... 19" is usually better on highway / asphalt with a bit quicker turn in. Excel rims are clearly stronger and in that respect better for off-road use.

For tires, I would go 50/50 at least seeing that you are planning on two wheel sets anyway and I would then buy Continental TKC's, Mitas E09's / E10's, Dunlop D908 or D606's perhaps? Other choices would be metzler Karoo 2 or some of the Pirelli or Michelin offerings. There are other "off-road" tires with more road bias like the Karoo 3 or the Heidenau K60 scouts etc, but I don't really see the point when you have a separate set for pavement use...

For brake discs I think at least Braking, Ebc, Brembo and galfer all make decent rotors for the F8GS, depends on availability where you are more than quality differences amongst those imo.

If you are looking to have 2 complete wheel sets for quick change, make sure to remember the ABS sensor rings as well (if you have ABS on your bike and the rings are not already on the set you bought of course.) Not sure if you need them for the speedo to work even without ABS though, but I'm sure someone who knows will chime in.

When it comes to Sprockets, 42 is the OEM size (Together with 16t front). I'm running that rear on mine off-road without any problems. I switch between 15t and 16t front sprockets occasionally though, but that is no necessity either. I also know many riders go 45t rear (Or even up to 47t) for the off-rod tech stuff, often combined with a 15 front which would reduce speed at a given RPM with about 8-10% compared to OEM (16-42) and make the bike more controllable in slow riding, slipping on the clutch etc. but more buzzy a highway speeds... It does not sound to me like you need to change the 42t for the kind of riding you are describing...

Otherwise it sounds like a good plan to me.

Per :)

RIDING:
F800GS & YZF 1000R
YrianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:23 AM   #3
Nimi OP
NooB

Oddometer: 140
All excellent points. Yes, I would have preferred a 21 on the front. One option I am thinking about is using the stock, tubed and 21 for the offroad stuff and the new 19 for the highway. Of course one rim is natural alum the other is black...
Nimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:17 AM   #4
Dirt Rider
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
One thing that Meggie did not list in her question was that the Woody's set-up she acquired from me is tubeless. I recommended that she maybe run the K60's for their good wear characteristics. Also they are pretty good in dirt.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
YrianX
Viking Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Aha tubeless set as well? That is quite some bling :)

To be very honest, it will depend a lot on your off road driving style, skill and situation if you would notice too much on the 19" vs 21" front when of the pavement. Basically the increased roll-height will help the 21" get over obstacles easier / better than the 19"

I THINK you would probably feel more "positive" effect of 19" Vs 21" on pavement with the quicker turn-in, than what you would feel a "negative" effect of the 19" Vs 21" off-road with the riding you are describing, but very hard to say, so the only way to find out is to try I guess. But this is just my opinion.
Someone else on here might have more experience with the 19" wheel off-road and be able to give more facts and well qualified opinions...

And of course there is the color difference ;)

RIDING:
F800GS & YZF 1000R
YrianX is offline   Reply With Quote