Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2014, 11:32 AM   #1
HighTechCoonass OP
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,457
Question Anyone tried the Excel Throttle Control?

Old 07-21-2014, 01:26 PM   #2
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,613
That's a classy looking one. I have used throttle locks in the past. Nice to have on long rides.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:48 PM   #3
RomaDakota
Illuminatus!

Oddometer: 1,375
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=983209
Old 07-21-2014, 01:55 PM   #4
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,298
a couple of guys are using them on the XTZ in the beast section and swear by them! Love the mechanism, but for that price I prefer my go cruise throttle lock :o)
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:33 PM   #5
HighTechCoonass OP
Living the Dream....

Laugh

I am going to switch up from my Wunderlich which I have had on all my BMW's, that one takes two hand and lots of adjusting. Ordered today to give it a go.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:23 PM   #6
RomaDakota
Illuminatus!

Oddometer: 1,375
I think you will like it. I tried several others including some expensive ones. Most were fiddly.
The Excel does require a technique. It was very helpful to get a demo from Tom directly. Basically ones uses the lower palm to set and side of lower palm to release it.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:51 PM   #7
RogerJ
Waypoint Wanderer

Oddometer: 216
I have the Excel Throttle Control (on a Super Tenere) and like it very much. Have had all the rest and now landed at what I think is the best out there. Now just have to get one now for my new F700GS.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:58 AM   #8
7seas10
7seas

Oddometer: 428
I did install mine on my FGSA with the Barkbusters Storm. I sent the measurements and the owner (who I forgot his name) made it specially to fit my needs.
Happy with the product.
A+
7seas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:34 PM   #9
murph76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
?

O-ring
murph76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:42 AM   #10
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,443
It's an unnecessary complication of the simple design of friction throttle locks currently available. But hey, it's got gears and levers and ratchets, and BMW riders will like that.

How much does it cost?

Fred

FredRydr screwed with this post 08-02-2014 at 07:02 AM Reason: added visual aid
FredRydr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:40 PM   #11
dyolfknip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass View Post
I am going to switch up from my Wunderlich which I have had on all my BMW's, that one takes two hand and lots of adjusting. Ordered today to give it a go.

I just put the Wunderlich on. It's perfect and you don't need two hands. Just slightly tighten it and use it like a normal throttle. It just doesn't spring back when you release your hand.
dyolfknip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:30 AM   #12
HighTechCoonass OP
Living the Dream....

Then it requires two hands to return it back to normal (no friction). If you can spare the cash this unit is nice.
Most of the time I want to lock in for just a minute to do something trivial and it was not worth the hassle of adjusting my Wunderlich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyolfknip View Post
I just put the Wunderlich on. It's perfect and you don't need two hands. Just slightly tighten it and use it like a normal throttle. It just doesn't spring back when you release your hand.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:58 PM   #13
Str8lin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
Have used the Excell unit on last two GSs (r1200) and GF uses on her F650GS, have had three friends move from Wunderlich and "other" controls for the Excel.. Best on the market in my book, simple to install and use. For me most important is an emergency "roll off" if I need to override the locking mechanism, which this unit does perfectly. Easy to dial in and stays in adjustment. Contact Tom and Excellthrottle.com, superb customer service!
Old 08-14-2014, 05:14 AM   #14
dyolfknip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass View Post
Then it requires two hands to return it back to normal (no friction). If you can spare the cash this unit is nice.
Most of the time I want to lock in for just a minute to do something trivial and it was not worth the hassle of adjusting my Wunderlich.
Nope. I just did 2000 kms with one through the Scottish Highlands and England and not once did I need two hands to do anything to it....I adjusted it at a light while stopped, and tightened it to a point where it would hold throttle, if it was too loose and I was on the road, I would just squeeze the clutch (so I didnt slow down too much) and quickly gave it a little more tightening with my right hand.
My only problem was having it "on" in twisties and wearing out my hand cause there was too much drag on the throttle, but that is just from me forgetting to turn it "off".....

But to each his own. Even the guy with me who had OEM cruise control didnt like it cause he couldnt use it for going through the small towns less than whatever speed is the minimum.
dyolfknip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #15
HighTechCoonass OP
Living the Dream....

Laugh

If you were able to just flick it off... problem solved!... Plus 1 for the Excel...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyolfknip View Post
Nope. I just did 2000 kms with one through the Scottish Highlands and England and not once did I need two hands to do anything to it....I adjusted it at a light while stopped, and tightened it to a point where it would hold throttle, if it was too loose and I was on the road, I would just squeeze the clutch (so I didnt slow down too much) and quickly gave it a little more tightening with my right hand.
My only problem was having it "on" in twisties and wearing out my hand cause there was too much drag on the throttle, but that is just from me forgetting to turn it "off".....

But to each his own. Even the guy with me who had OEM cruise control didnt like it cause he couldnt use it for going through the small towns less than whatever speed is the minimum.