Old 05-26-2013, 06:41 AM   #256
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
You're a tease.

False hope abounds. Hehehehe.

I just wrecked my knee so I'll be sitting around with nothing to do for a while.
Sorry, but it is a tall fence to strattle. I don't mean to be a tease....but have comfort in the fact that a great product will aid the 8GS when they release it. It will all make sense, and you will nod when I can spill the beans. Your knee...... what happened. That's a bummer.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:54 AM   #257
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,589
I went to Fiji and stayed in the Sheraton for my 25th wedding anniversary.

Day 1, wife buys me a rum based beverage and I go to swim across resort "adults only" pool to collect same.....knee dislocates.

Old injury that my grunt days didn't help. I twisted it and wiggled it and it appeared to go back in, full range of movement, can't stand on leg.

Torn anterior cruciate and soft tissue damage.

6 weeks until my Cape York bike trip.

My lucky streak is running red hot.

I can spend $1000 on MRI's and then another $6000 on a rec....or I can buy a pair of Asterix knee braces and just harden the fuck up.

Worst case....I'll wreck my knee. I don't see a down side.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:31 AM   #258
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Day 1, wife buys me a rum based beverage and I go to swim across resort "adults only" pool to collect same.....knee dislocates.

Old injury that my grunt days didn't help. I twisted it and wiggled it and it appeared to go back in, full range of movement, can't stand on leg.

I can spend $1000 on MRI's and then another $6000 on a rec....or I can buy a pair of Asterix knee braces and just harden the fuck up.

Should have picked the Tequila.... Nothing happens when you sip Tequila..... Rum on the other hand....
6 weeks to heal... I'm sure you'l make it.

Erling
Old 05-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #259
Hamish71
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Quote:

Ahh....the Army....14yrs of service and all I have are memories....and 2 fucked knees, an ankle that appears to be made of rubber, a back that is sometimes straight, a chin full of scars from Mr. Fifty, and some pox between my toes that hasnt gone away in the 12 yrs since. :)
But I wouldnt change much of it!.

You should know that nobody dances with the Bundy Bear and comes away unscathed.

So, cape trip...tell us more.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #260
dirtdadx
Noob ad Infinitum

Oddometer: 478
Just spoke with Rekluse

I just smoked the clutch on my F650GS twin. It slips badly at around 4500 rpm, getting worse all the time. So I called Rekluse. Here are some bullet points I get from them, as best as I understood, and as much as they can be believed.

1) They are coming out with a clutch for the F800GS (I am sure it will also work with the F650GS) in 30 days.

2) It is one of the models that uses more stock components (I can't remember which one, the EXP?) so it won't be as expensive as some of the other options

3) For the work I am having done to my clutch right now, it won't matter, all of the parts that likely need repair/replacement would need to be replaced if I got the Rekluse, i.e. I won't be losing much by getting the clutch fixed now, then adding the Rekluse later. Maybe a little in labor I guess.

Seems to me that something like the Rekluse is the way to tame a big bike for off road use. I probably smoked the clutch due to how much I used the clutch off road, and you really need to. The big twin is hard to modulate at low speeds with the throttle only, it wants to lurch and lunge everywhere.

But will the Rekluse be more durable than a regular clutch slipping a lot? Or will it wear out just as fast if you ride slow off road a lot?
dirtdadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #261
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdadx View Post
I just smoked the clutch on my F650GS twin. It slips badly at around 4500 rpm, getting worse all the time. So I called Rekluse. Here are some bullet points I get from them, as best as I understood, and as much as they can be believed.

1) They are coming out with a clutch for the F800GS (I am sure it will also work with the F650GS) in 30 days.

2) It is one of the models that uses more stock components (I can't remember which one, the EXP?) so it won't be as expensive as some of the other options

3) For the work I am having done to my clutch right now, it won't matter, all of the parts that likely need repair/replacement would need to be replaced if I got the Rekluse, i.e. I won't be losing much by getting the clutch fixed now, then adding the Rekluse later. Maybe a little in labor I guess.

Seems to me that something like the Rekluse is the way to tame a big bike for off road use. I probably smoked the clutch due to how much I used the clutch off road, and you really need to. The big twin is hard to modulate at low speeds with the throttle only, it wants to lurch and lunge everywhere.

But will the Rekluse be more durable than a regular clutch slipping a lot? Or will it wear out just as fast if you ride slow off road a lot?
I will answer this as a general EXP question, and not specific to the 8GS. Yes it will last longer. When you are in tricky sections with stock clutch, you tend to slip it a lot. This is specially bad on the 8GS, as it is geared very high. The EXP will engage much more precise, than the average rider can, thus keeping the clutch slippage to a minimum. That said, if you slip this say in a high gear below the engagement rpm, and slip it there for a while, you will burn it out just as fast. Stay tuned....

Erling
Old 05-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #262
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish71 View Post
Ahh....the Army....14yrs of service and all I have are memories....and 2 fucked knees, an ankle that appears to be made of rubber, a back that is sometimes straight, a chin full of scars from Mr. Fifty, and some pox between my toes that hasnt gone away in the 12 yrs since. :)
But I wouldnt change much of it!.

You should know that nobody dances with the Bundy Bear and comes away unscathed.

So, cape trip...tell us more.
Yup.

8 years in a rifle coy. Still having reconstructions 20 years on.

Memories, cool scars, and tattoos. Plus I got paid to hurt people. Cooool.

I have 9 days to get to the top of the Cape and back. I built a bike specially for it. It's a DR650 with an RMZ conventional dual chamber front end with DRZ wheel, oversize disc, and a Racetech rear. All my famous carby mods, WR450 muffler, and low kms. It's like a brand new one....well...it is now.

I was going to take the BuMW, but it'b be a handful in some of the stuff we're going through. I'll be chasing a DRZ400 and an XR650R.

3 of us going. Travel light - freeze at night.

If I had a Rekluse clutch in the BuMW I'd take it for sure (see what I did with the tie in there...?).
Old 05-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #263
Hamish71
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Yup.

8 years in a rifle coy. Still having reconstructions 20 years on.

Memories, cool scars, and tattoos. Plus I got paid to hurt people. Cooool.

I have 9 days to get to the top of the Cape and back. I built a bike specially for it. It's a DR650 with an RMZ conventional dual chamber front end with DRZ wheel, oversize disc, and a Racetech rear. All my famous carby mods, WR450 muffler, and low kms. It's like a brand new one....well...it is now.

I was going to take the BuMW, but it'b be a handful in some of the stuff we're going through. I'll be chasing a DRZ400 and an XR650R.

3 of us going. Travel light - freeze at night.

If I had a Rekluse clutch in the BuMW I'd take it for sure (see what I did with the tie in there...?).
I wasnt smart enough to get a gold card before I left :( Which way you going.....tele track? Be really interested in a "doability" on the F800 when you get back. I have pencilled in May next year....3 weeks...bike or Disco, yet to be confirmed......you doing a trip thread in the Australian section?

and 30 days til the clutch....excellent. Might have it installed by the time the tracks open in the high country again.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:44 AM   #264
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

30 days!?!?

The old track. F800 doability was high on my list. If it can be done, I'm taking the wife up with me.

Gold card this year from the look of it.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:24 AM   #265
Freewolf
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Hi to everybody!
any news?

Freewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #266
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewolf View Post
Hi to everybody!
any news?

I can say that Rekluse is still working on the release. I can say with certainty that it is not in 30 days, but a bit more. I am currently in Denmark until June 21'st. I am hoping to have the new style EXP to beta test after that. Should be a fast turn in, but please understand that the EXP is trued and tried, but with each new app, they have to ensure lot's of miles of trouble free running, and as such it necessitates to do just that.

Erling
Old 06-07-2013, 06:50 AM   #267
Freewolf
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
I can say that Rekluse is still working on the release. I can say with certainty that it is not in 30 days, but a bit more. I am currently in Denmark until June 21'st. I am hoping to have the new style EXP to beta test after that. Should be a fast turn in, but please understand that the EXP is trued and tried, but with each new app, they have to ensure lot's of miles of trouble free running, and as such it necessitates to do just that.
ok! many thanks ebrabaek
Freewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:07 AM   #268
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewolf View Post
ok! many thanks ebrabaek
Yeppers...... I will all make sense when they release it. I promise.....

Erling
Old 06-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #269
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
OK, it's the 22nd An entire day to evaluate and we 'spect the results pronto
SOP Dirt-Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:39 AM   #270
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOP Dirt-Rider View Post
OK, it's the 22nd An entire day to evaluate and we 'spect the results pronto
Ha ha.... Thanks..... I am still waiting on the new EXP to test. It is however great to be back stateside, but 104 deg F. ( 40C) ouch......

Erling