Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #16
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by toro618 View Post
The oem clutch lever remains intact, and you can override the auto clutch by pulling the lever as you normally do now. In technical or offroad riding, however, you don't need to keep 2 fingers on the lever.

I raced the F8 in a hare scramble race this past weekend which was pretty much a 4 mile motorcross course and 4 miles of single track course, and after an hour of constantly feathering the clutch I was wishing for an auto clutch.
I saw pics of you in a local thread. Nice!
Old 04-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #17
toro618 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_ View Post
I saw pics of you in a local thread. Nice!

Thank you. That was the Stump Jumper hare scramble in South Jersey. I would say 75% of the course was deep sugar sand with sand berms, and I struggling for traction most of the time. So an auto clutch would have made life much easier on that sand and even in the single track portion.
toro618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:21 PM   #18
BcDano
One Lucky Dude

Oddometer: 310
Been asking for awhile.

I've been calling Rekluse for about two years now and I get the same story each time which is "maybe". I'm really keen to put one on my wife's 650twin for our world tour but no such luck. Personally I think they are missing a big potential market with the new to riding female crowd (not that my gal is new to riding, she kicks ass). Would be a very nice feature to have on an overlanding bike, especially when you hit a congested city like lima etc.

I've ridden a wr450f with the Rekluse set up and it was brilliant.
BcDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:25 AM   #19
toro618 OP
Studly Adventurer

Well, I am going to call them again today and ask how we can get this ball rolling.

Maybe whoever else is really interested can call them again to help with this process.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #20
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,936
There is no doubt a Rekluse is an advantage in technical situations.
Where you are about to kill your bike through say rocky sections.
But I think it makes it easy for the unexperienced riders to jump on to an 'auto' bike.
Mid lifers who jump from auto cars who have no idea on how to shift any manual transmission (I have a friend like that lol:-/).
Sure it works for them, but they never really learn to use a manual tranny properly.
If you learn to use your manual gearbox in stop & go traffic, you will also be better with your clutching (and gear selection) through technical off pavement.
It could be a big seller, but it will (mostly) be bought for the wrong reason on the 658/800.
I could enjoy a Rekluse I suppose on my 658, but I would rather have one on a dedicated dirtbike.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #21
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
I think it's pretty cool and I now understand it. I'd be curious to try it out, but unfortunately as noted, not available.
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #22
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFaller View Post
...and the new ones have an override lock in so you can bump start the bike.
This answered part of my question. Can you leave the override lock on while riding if you wish to use the bike like a traditional clutch, say for sport riding in the twisties?

Not that there would ever be enough market for them to produce one for my Aprilia, but that kind of flexibility would sure be awesome. When I go off road on my supermoto, its lots clutch work. I might even factor in the Rekluse when choosing my next bike.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #23
toro618 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
This answered part of my question. Can you leave the override lock on while riding if you wish to use the bike like a traditional clutch, say for sport riding in the twisties?

With this auto clutch you still have to manually shift gears....you must still select the proper gear using your foot and left finger. However, it relieves the need to fan the clutch in technical sections. If you're trying to squeeze between trees in the the wrong gear the bike will most likely stall. So as always the bike will still need to be in the right gear for the clutch to work.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #24
Cambi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
I think I would be inclined to disagree

Quote:
With this auto clutch you still have to manually shift gears....you must still select the proper gear using your foot and left finger. However, it relieves the need to fan the clutch in technical sections. If you're trying to squeeze between trees in the the wrong gear the bike will most likely stall. So as always the bike will still need to be in the right gear for the clutch to work.
Watch this video starting at 04:20 - the rider falls in 3rd gear - No stall - Jumps back on and go...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF3F2...layer_embedded

Now, how can we proactively tell those guys (Rekluse) that we want this clutch option for the F800GS?
Cambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #25
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,727
Quote:
I spoke to them this morning, and was told there are only 6 people on their list of interest. So maybe whoever is really interested can call them and place your contact info....maybe that's how the ktm 950/990 clutch production began.
Maybe you could post the contact info, and who you talked to. That might get a few lurkers to call who are on the fence.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #26
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,936
Quote:
...but that kind of flexibility would sure be awesome.
No doubt. I think you can run a gear or two high with these. To me, nice of you could run a gear high on some technical sections and keep potential wheelspin down.

Quote:
I might even factor in the Rekluse when choosing my next bike.
Me too.

Funny thing, I rode my low ground clearance 658 on the OBDR last summer with STOCK gearing which some say not to do.
The bike went straight up and straight down some pretty fowl stuff.
I had to trust my 658 to run (and pull) at idle rpm's.
It did it very well - I never had to slip the clutch.

But I am coming around to the idea that the Rekluse auto clutch could be a very fine add to our 658/800's.
We'll see if it comes about.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #27
toro618 OP
Studly Adventurer

I spoke with them yesterday and today. What I was told today is Rekluse is currently on a 6 week back order with all their current units, and unitll they clear that they will not be able to begin any new R&D work. I was told to call back in about 6 months....my reply was I am going to keep bothering you guys every day for 6 months ....he laughed and said that's fine but they're really very back up.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #28
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
bump.... any word on what happened to bugging rekluse?
Motorfiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #29
toro618 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
bump.... any word on what happened to bugging rekluse?
I am still trying. The more people call them with interest the higher on the "to do list" we will rise. Based on my conversation with Rekluse, it seems the KTM boys have their engineers working overtime.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #30
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
I am still trying. The more people call them with interest the higher on the "to do list" we will rise. Based on my conversation with Rekluse, it seems the KTM boys have their engineers working overtime.
just sent them an email offering my bike as a loaner we'll see what happens....

thinking about buying the EXP for the 990 and trying to build my own off that.... hell it can't be that hard?
Motorfiets is offline   Reply With Quote