User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #1
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,835
2009 xt660z tenere RTW mods & upgrades after 50,000 miles

I bought the 2009 XT660Z in mid 2010, i was in England for a few days got to see the bike for about 5 minutes based on the agreement that they would hold the bike
for me until i needed it shipped to Ushuaia Argentina in early 2011, it had 12,000 miles on the clock already

it looked like this...

as i didn't get to go over the bike i rode it exactly as you see it for 38,000 miles

it had a a few mods done and it saw me thru the mileage, there is a ride report here of that ride http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668901

once i was finished it was time to strip the bike and do some modifications and upgrades before i carry on riding

here are a few shots from the trip...

so after all of THAT its time for some work....

twin wall bars - DONE
heavy duty risers - DONE
dual gps set up - DONE
high out put spot lamps - DONE
front turn signal relocation - DONE
crash bars - DONE
barkbusters - DONE
exhaust
front suspension
rear suspension
side stand foot enlarger
center stand foot enlargers
chain guard
cush drive
kev fuel mod
new swingarm
swingarm bearings
new hard luggage
chain roller
chain and sprockets
quick fuel disconnect
valve adjustment
brake and clutch levers
...and probably a few more things - need to get this list done first!!!

time to get dirty

rtwpaul screwed with this post 07-08-2012 at 09:17 AM
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
mickd
crash test dummie

Oddometer: 1,847
keep it coming

I've just been to my first muslim birthday party. Musical chairs was a bit slow but F**k me, pass the parcel was bloody quick.
mickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:35 AM   #3
Ni3ous
Double Axle Rider

Oddometer: 213
Thumb

connected...
Old 04-19-2012, 07:47 AM   #4
MadMax
Marveling...

Oddometer: 410
I'm IN!

Very interested in seeing this done by a professional who also happens to have a ton of seat time on the subject!

MadMax
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
divimon2000
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
divimon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #6
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

the cockpit

Here we go, the cockpit...

i did riser and bar upgrades...the stock risers are made, from one piece, this is good in some ways but not in others...if you are in the middle of nowhere and you have an off and one or both get snapped you are stranded, period. Some small villages/town might have only one drill, and chances of them having the right size tap to fix it...unlikely

so i changed to some heavy duty risers that use a thru bolt design, for less that $50 its a good swap, same height as the stock ones, but i got 1 1/8 so i can fit Renthal twin wall RC922 bars, about 30mm higher than stock but the stock wiring and cables still fit

along with this i added new barkbusters hand guards, after a good off in Argentina and another in Bolivia the old ones were done!

New levers $41 inc. shipping - they are a perfect fit, no cutting or filing required like some had people that i know tried to fit. I ordered black with red adjusters and the shorty version

the ebay link is for US ebay but they say they ship worldwide

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170694297800...#ht_6597wt_960

these are the parts you need as they don't specifically stock for the XTZ

Suzuki - GSXR 600 1997 - 2003 Clutch
Yamaha - FJR 1300 2004 - 2008 Brake

once i sent them this info they sent me a money request via paypal, it took about ten days to get them

once i got them about 3-5 minutes to fit, brake side just becareful the piston rod in the master cylinder come out its on a spring, on the clutch side, reduce the pressure on the bar adjuster and fit, readjust clutch back to spec...easy

...and this is what they looked like

lots more to come...

rtwpaul screwed with this post 05-07-2012 at 02:53 PM
Old 04-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
Great thread and travels, keep it coming!
Old 04-21-2012, 03:20 AM   #8
Ni3ous
Double Axle Rider

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kadv View Post
i did riser and bar upgrades...if you are in the middle of nowhere and you have an off and one or both get snapped you are stranded, period. Some small villages/town might have only one drill, and chances of them having the right size tap to fix it...unlikely

so i changed to some heavy duty risers that use a thru bolt design, for less that $50 its a good swap, same height as the stock ones, but i got 1 1/8 so i can fit Renthal twin wall RC922 bars, about 30mm higher than stock but the stock wiring and cables still fit

Great info man!
I have found the same issue with one piece handlebar holders...

please give more info about the risers you bought, any link?
Can I fit original handlebar on it? I already have risers from off the road for original 22 mm handlebar, also rised it for 30 mm and it works great.

Kepp it comin...
Old 04-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #9
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

the 1 1/8 inch risers i have are here - LINK

the 7/8 inch are here -LINK
Old 04-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

first rule of Adventure riding...don't ride at night! Besides the fact its dark so you can't see anything...in the undevloped world there are lots of dangers on the road be it dirt or black top, animals, cars with no light, road debris, potholes, kids etc, etc

the XT has a good looking light that works well in low beam but on hi beam not so good...time for lighting upgrade

i added 3600 lumens each spot lights from ADVmonster link to these lights is here...and BTW if you get these DO NOT look directly into them, they have the potential to damage your eye sight!!!

these photos were take at 125th of a second for a comparison

before - standard HI beam

after just spot lamps

i built a separate wiring harness which included a relay and a waterproof switch, the switch for them is below the speedo

if you know the bike or looked at the older photos you will notice the spot lights are where the turn signals used to be, i moved the turn signals into the area where the running lights were, as the low beam is on all the time anyhow. if you do this make sure you have a quick disconnect on the spot lamps. If for some reason you have to take off those panels you don't want to have to cut the wire, i use deutsch connectors that are waterproof.

so take the wiring from the side lights and turn signals and simply swap there locations...easy. Two connections per light. You will need new orange bulbs, they are part number 194NA and cost $2 per pair

i added new crash bars from SW Motech, LINK the stock ones had a broken tab, even though one of my trades is welding i didn't want to fix them because they block the access on the left side of the motor to cover for the crank, so when doing a valve clearance adjustment you have to remove the crash bars!!! Great design Yamaha, or was it on purpose so the dealer can make more money to stop people doing their own adjustments?

still lots more to come...
Old 04-26-2012, 01:46 AM   #11
NACO
Me gusta la moto

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kadv View Post
still lots more to come...
Come on, keep on coming!
great ideas, great work till now
Old 04-27-2012, 06:29 AM   #12
Rafael Martins
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Nice mods!

Which model of tyre are you using? What about the 12v plug?

Great job, I can only envy you with this milage around Americas...
Rafael Martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #13
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Martins View Post
Nice mods!

Which model of tyre are you using? What about the 12v plug?

Great job, I can only envy you with this milage around Americas...
there are more to come...

tires, i used conti trail attack when i knew i was doing about 80% road riding, i got over 10,000 miles on the rear and 20,000 on the front, when i switched to dirt i used TKC80, the best i could get from a rear was almost 5000. I did a tire swap in Newfoundland and the only tire they had was Kenda k270, the rear on the bike is the one i got, it has more tread on it still after 6000 miles than a TKC80...

12 volt, its a touratech unit, two minute install, it has an inline fuse, but i add a 4 in one charger if i need to do any additional charging when i am riding, it plus to that and has 3 12 volts plugs and a USB, i'll add a photo for you
Old 04-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #14
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

this is the unit i take along $1 on ebay!!! no great loss if it get broken...obviously not for use for anything that generates heat

Old 04-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #15
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

suspension upgrade and swingarm swap

I did a tear down of the complete rear end to do a rear shock upgrade from the stock Sachs shock to a custom built Ohlins unit FA817...the difference from stock Ohlins was i got them to replace there standard spring with an upgraded unit and do some testing on the bottom mount and have everything set to be able to carry the weight of a RTW rider and all his luggage

the shocks...

i also did a front end spring upgrade to Hyperpro progressive springs but forgot to take photos when i did the swap, sorry about that

before i do the swingarm write up and show how its done

have a look at this, this is my front sprocket that i changed, this one has 35,000 miles on it...

so the new swingarm arrived very early so i have time to do a swap before the bike goes off to a show in a couple of weeks

the new one on the left and the old one on the right with the crazy damage

i ordered new needle bearings, spacers and seals to do a complete refit

these are the main set for the swingarm pivot

as i doubt any off you took your bike apart before riding it, this is what the needle bearing look new

i asked the dealership if they would put the bearings in for me, they quoted 75 pounds and told me it would take 1 1/2 to 2 hours!!!! Having owned a motorcycle shop i know it doesn't take anywhere near that, i think they were trying to get some money back for selling me the swingarm so cheap

so here it is, using a hydraulic press

take measurement as you go along so the bearings are in the same location and there is enough space for the seal

there is a lot of space in the swingarm for additional grease to be in there, so again make sure the bearings are in the right place with measurements

the whole job of putting all the bearings, spacers and seals in a new swingarm took me about SEVEN minutes

and just for reference i use Timkin premium hi temp red bearing grease

to do a swingarm removal take out the rear wheel, i put zip ties over the sprocket to the spokes so keep it all together for an easy refit later, i have the cush drive rubber mod and it want to spring apart, this stops that happening

i this in my tool kit, if there is a problem getting the pivot bolt out this fits in the open end and it long enough to hold everything in place when putting it back together as well

get anything out of the way that is in the way!!! brake caliper and rubber protection

undo the lower dog bone bolt and remove it

once this is taken out then remove the pivot bolt and the swing arm can be removed, chain does not need to be take off.

...continued in next post

rtwpaul screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 12:42 PM