Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 02:48 AM   #31
jtw000
Survivor

Oddometer: 552
This was one of my choices for overland bike but I didn't like it, the power was a bit low. A friend of mine rode one from london to Thailand and I rode his with some decent mods and what a difference. It was really woken up and gave me a whole new respect for these things. I love what you're doing, it looks like a very thorough job.
Just one question. My brother had one of these, his mate, I met two Europeans in India and my Australian mate, all riding the Tenere and every single one of them had dropped it and the ones I knew well were not guys to drop their bikes. Did you find any balance issues with yours at all?
jtw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:06 AM   #32
enkil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Awesome mods and adventure..
Old 05-08-2012, 04:38 AM   #33
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemizz View Post
looks so cool , and I'm damn jaleous you can do all these things yourself

I have a question on the chain tensioner , this is one from R&G , any info on model , supplier ? fitting ?

thanks !
its not a chain tensioner its a toe guard, to stop you foot going in towards the sprocket if you come off, i had a very close call in Bolivia like this so it is really just personal preference, it is a universal fit
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:43 AM   #34
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtw000 View Post
This was one of my choices for overland bike but I didn't like it, the power was a bit low. A friend of mine rode one from london to Thailand and I rode his with some decent mods and what a difference. It was really woken up and gave me a whole new respect for these things. I love what you're doing, it looks like a very thorough job.
Just one question. My brother had one of these, his mate, I met two Europeans in India and my Australian mate, all riding the Tenere and every single one of them had dropped it and the ones I knew well were not guys to drop their bikes. Did you find any balance issues with yours at all?
i find it well balanced, it comes down to packing, maybe their luggage was the issue? yes power is not great but once you get away from civilization a lighter bike is better in the long run, and as i look at it, i am heading out on the road for years, its not a race, my average speed for the first 38,000 miles was less than 40 mph
Old 05-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #35
Salami
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3ous View Post
Do you have any pictures?
I will have to do this mod also. Soon.

I have to admit I made a mistake in my explanation, what I discribed was the original plan
But plans are to change and that's what happened. Instead of a second bearing on the inside of the hub I made the original bearing chamber 15 mm deeper. This way 2 bearings fit in the place where once was only one
With some luck I'll be able to place a photo too

Take a close look and you can see the second bearing under the first one.
Salami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:42 AM   #36
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

the guy who owned the bike before me put on the lowering links on it and lowered the center stand, not a pretty job, basically his welding sucked, this is what a 50,000 mile center stand looks like, lots of abuse

also some of the gussets had welds missing, so i corrected it all and added BIGGER feet

made some slug to lengthen the stand and welded it all back together and repainted it

regrease the bushings when it was reinstalled

now the rear wheel isn't on the ground like it was before with a new knobbly, when i make new jack up links and add an 18" rear when i get to Europe i now have space

Old 05-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #37
Rafael Martins
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
What a greet job!

I'm very happy to have found your post!

Can you show us how the front light protector looks like in the bike? What you make to hold this in the bike?

Congrats!

Rafael Martins screwed with this post 05-14-2012 at 07:41 PM
Rafael Martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:44 AM   #38
Ni3ous
Double Axle Rider

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kadv View Post

You have put a lot of extra weight with those thick plates in the bottom, upper reinforcement and with two round iron extensions. Tube shaped extension would be lighter choice.
I know this, because I extended my side stand that way (with gearbox axle-also heavy) and because of that heavy extension the side stand is also heavy, and spring is too weak now. Result is that side stand is jumping when riding on bumpy road. I have put stronger spring, but problem is not removed completely.

We all know best is to make it lighter, when making upgrades, but sometimes its difficult.
--
5kadv check that central stand spring, if you did not already. If it is too weak because extra weight, it might sag too much and you can hit an obstacle one day when riding on bumpy tracks.

Wish you all the best, and give us some more juice about you upgrades!

Ni3ous screwed with this post 05-22-2012 at 05:50 AM
Ni3ous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #39
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

just rode 2000 miles and not a problem, 1200 off road on very bad ground...still on the road, when i get back i'll add more

weight added was less than 1 lb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3ous View Post
You have put a lot of extra weight with those thick plates in the bottom, upper reinforcement and with two round iron extensions. Tube shaped extension would be lighter choice.
I know this, because I extended my side stand that way (with gearbox axle-also heavy) and because of that heavy extension the side stand is also heavy, and spring is too weak now. Result is that side stand is jumping when riding on bumpy road. I have put stronger spring, but problem is not removed completely.

We all know best is to make it lighter, when making upgrades, but sometimes its difficult.
--
5kadv check that central stand spring, if you did not already. If it is too weak because extra weight, it might sag too much and you can hit an obstacle one day when riding on bumpy tracks.

Wish you all the best, and give us some more juice about you upgrades!

Old 06-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #40
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

i've been away riding...here is the last thing i did i think!!!

a gas tank mod, the fuel cell (plastic) is stock at 23 liters but its very difficult and slow to get the last few liters in, and even when you do you never get it completely full

easy one minute fix with a HAND DRILL - no power drills for this otherwise you get to hear an EXPLOSION

now i'm getting about an extra liter and slightly more in the tank...result
Old 06-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #41
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

not exactly a mod more like a HUGE upgrade

once all the mods were done i met Al Jesse of www.jesseluggage.com he took my bike to make welding jigs so his luggage would be available for the XT660Z

they are not on his website as of this post but they are available, mine are 10" a total of 110 liters, i have more stuff in them than i was carrying on my pan american ride of 38,000

superb craftsmanship, strength and design. they are adjustable backwards and forwards by around 5 inches

i had more tools as i'd done these mods and was riding back from AZ to Louisiana and just in case something needed fixing on the road that i had do a mod on...it didn't everything was good

i'll add photos of the ride home in the next post
Old 06-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #42
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

i rode from Al Jesse's place to a the Overland Expo (one of the largest gatherings of overlanders in one place, bikes, 4x4 and overland trucks

enjoy the photos...my route was AZ, UT, CO, NM, TX, LA

if you want photo locations/ details make a comment

16 years on the road makes you smile like this
Old 06-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #43
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

time to start the ride home...

Old 06-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #44
rtwpaul OP