ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #256
McKay
Studly Adventurer
 
McKay's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Clovis, Ca.
Oddometer: 638
I lived there for years and never felt welcome in that place. Too bad its the same old story.
__________________
Jeff
McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #257
E-town dirt dude
Gnarly Adventurer
 
E-town dirt dude's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: edmonton
Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Are your bikes in the VIN range for the gear selector return spring bulletin: 46334 to 514871?
I checked the VIN...It's in the VIN range. Do you have a service bulletin number for it?
__________________
All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing
E-town dirt dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #258
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 4,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-town dirt dude View Post
I checked the VIN...It's in the VIN range. Do you have a service bulletin number for it?
Your dealer or triumph will.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:00 AM   #259
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kawidad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Central Coast, Cal
Oddometer: 4,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
I lived there for years and never felt welcome in that place. Too bad its the same old story.
FWIW

The sales staff are good (without advertising it, the general manager is a Ducati dude and their lead salesman doesn't even own an HD). The parts guys are total HD guys, but clearly like motorcycles and are okay. It's just the service department. They are still in the HD mentality and the mechanics are all HD dudes with seemingly little experience beyond that brand. And, of questionable quality too.

The owner of the dealership is out of LA and owns a bunch of different dealerships. He recently bought out SLO Motorsports and closed it down. He wanted the Honda line up, which he moved to Santa Maria. He also acquired Yamaha at the same time, but can't sell that brand because it's too close to an existing Yamaha dealer (next door)> He also got Kawasaki in the deal, but already owned that brand, so no one knows what his thoughts are about reopening Kawasaki and the Yamaha line in SLO (San Luis Obispo, for those that might wonder).

I guess the point of all this is for other Triumph owners is be cautious with multi-brand dealers with questionable reputations/history, but good sales people. But, ya'll already knew that.
__________________
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal
(Who watches the watchers)
Kawidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #260
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-town dirt dude View Post
I checked the VIN...It's in the VIN range. Do you have a service bulletin number for it?
All I found is this:

SERVICE BULLETIN Nο. 439 Gear Selector Return Spring
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #261
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
burmbuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: South East USA
Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I know there are a million oil threads but for some reason when people do this, it drives me nuts. I just don't understand why you would change your oil every 2,000 miles. I have a friend who does this and he swears that it makes his bikes last longer. But, how do you know they wouldn't last that long anyway. The money you can save changing the oil 6,000 miles (I push my oil because Amsoil guarantees it, so I will go 10,000 plus depending on how I've ridden), if indeed the motor doesn't last as long, I could replace the motor and probably still save more money than changing the oil every 2,000 miles. You have changed your oil about 4 times before I've changed mine once. Let's just say a synthetic oil change is $60 including the filter. Every 50,000 miles I spend $300. Every 50,000 miles you spend $1,500. Wowzer! And for what? Absolutely nothing.
I just returned from a trip to Missouri from south Alabama. 12 hrs up running 75-80 mph. 3 days of hard trail riding in the Ozarks at around 500 miles, them back to Alabama. I have about 3500 miles on the bike since the last oil change. The oil is black and it consumed about 1/4 worth of oil in the site glass. Know matter what the mileage, based on the condition of the oil it's time to change it. There is nothing wrong with waiting until 6k miles as long as you know what condition the oil is in and take into account the riggers of the riding you have performed.
__________________
_______________
2013 KTM 690 Enduro R
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #262
McKay
Studly Adventurer
 
McKay's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Clovis, Ca.
Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
FWIW

The sales staff are good (without advertising it, the general manager is a Ducati dude and their lead salesman doesn't even own an HD). The parts guys are total HD guys, but clearly like motorcycles and are okay. It's just the service department. They are still in the HD mentality and the mechanics are all HD dudes with seemingly little experience beyond that brand. And, of questionable quality too.

The owner of the dealership is out of LA and owns a bunch of different dealerships. He recently bought out SLO Motorsports and closed it down. He wanted the Honda line up, which he moved to Santa Maria. He also acquired Yamaha at the same time, but can't sell that brand because it's too close to an existing Yamaha dealer (next door)> He also got Kawasaki in the deal, but already owned that brand, so no one knows what his thoughts are about reopening Kawasaki and the Yamaha line in SLO (San Luis Obispo, for those that might wonder).

I guess the point of all this is for other Triumph owners is be cautious with multi-brand dealers with questionable reputations/history, but good sales people. But, ya'll already knew that.
Without service, there is no dealership IMO. SLO wasn't to great either, had a run in trying to get a DRZ fuel valve gasket of all things. They may have known at that time though that they were being sold. Modesto is by far the best place I've been, drove up there and bought two tigers (one for me and one for the DRZ driver) because Wilsons in Fresno couldn't be bothered with us.

Im headed to Browns in Paso in the next two weeks to pick up a Beta, hope they are good folks.
__________________
Jeff
McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #263
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Meadowlands, NJ (just east of the USA)
Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
... The dealer replaced mine under warranty, after I got a little attitude about not needing the part anyway. Of course, with no talk about the parts inside the tank looking to get sucked into the fuel pump inlet.
I think it it was easier to fill once that piece popped out, so if I don't need it and they don't put it back, I'm OK with that. I don't want the parts knocking around in my tank, though.... I was hearing it rattle around in there all day today.
__________________
-Lee
2013 Triumph Tiger 800
2008 Suzuki SV650n (Sold... I miss that bike...)
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:05 AM   #264
live2ridetahoe
RN
 
live2ridetahoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Concord, CA
Oddometer: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
FWIW

The sales staff are good (without advertising it, the general manager is a Ducati dude and their lead salesman doesn't even own an HD). The parts guys are total HD guys, but clearly like motorcycles and are okay. It's just the service department. They are still in the HD mentality and the mechanics are all HD dudes with seemingly little experience beyond that brand. And, of questionable quality too.

The owner of the dealership is out of LA and owns a bunch of different dealerships. He recently bought out SLO Motorsports and closed it down. He wanted the Honda line up, which he moved to Santa Maria. He also acquired Yamaha at the same time, but can't sell that brand because it's too close to an existing Yamaha dealer (next door)> He also got Kawasaki in the deal, but already owned that brand, so no one knows what his thoughts are about reopening Kawasaki and the Yamaha line in SLO (San Luis Obispo, for those that might wonder).

I guess the point of all this is for other Triumph owners is be cautious with multi-brand dealers with questionable reputations/history, but good sales people. But, ya'll already knew that.
I passed by that dealership the other day and was thinking about how strange a Triumph/HD dealership might be.

My local dealer is KTM/Ducati/Triumph, so I know they have experience fixing bikes... Overall, I am quite happy with them. I mean, as much as you can like a dealership...

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #265
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 4,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
I think it it was easier to fill once that piece popped out, so if I don't need it and they don't put it back, I'm OK with that. I don't want the parts knocking around in my tank, though.... I was hearing it rattle around in there all day today.
Your rough pump nozzle behavior broke the piece out so I don't see why they would replace it unless you pay for it. I have the roll bar version and besides being a good reference to get semi-repeatable fill amounts I wish it wasn't there. You'll have to remove the pump from the bottom of the tank to get that out I imagine.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #266
live2ridetahoe
RN
 
live2ridetahoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Concord, CA
Oddometer: 1,207
Battery tie down?

Hello fellow inmates.

I was just out in the garage and had my seat off. I noticed that my battery is in no way attached to the bike, except for the battery leads. It just sits in it's space. I see a couple of spots where there should be a rubber tie down, but my bike does not have it.

Come to mention it, I have never seen one there. Do you mates have one?

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #267
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Meadowlands, NJ (just east of the USA)
Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Your rough pump nozzle behavior broke the piece out so I don't see why they would replace it unless you pay for it. I have the roll bar version and besides being a good reference to get semi-repeatable fill amounts I wish it wasn't there. You'll have to remove the pump from the bottom of the tank to get that out I imagine.
I was using a gas pump. Maybe Triumph expects everyone to fill thier bikes with a funnel and a measuring cup? In 8500 miles (~40-45 fills) my 'rough nozzle behavior' was never an issue with my SV650, and neither was filling it, even though the outer tank fill caps are very similar. Though there was an inner plastic ring on the SV (which still worked fine for getting repeatable fill results - just fill to the rim!), there wasn't anything similar to the metal bars (the 'roll bars' you refer to?) that the Tiger has that actually prevent you from inserting the nozzle far enough to allow the pump to work. Since I managed to spill gas 2 out of the first 3 times I filled it up, I even went out and bought a McCuff, which I was using during this last fillup and would've further prevented 'over penetration' of the nozzle. Since it seems I'm not the only one having trouble with this, and I'm not generally the ham-fisted sort, it sounds like a design flaw due to over-engineering to me.
__________________
-Lee
2013 Triumph Tiger 800
2008 Suzuki SV650n (Sold... I miss that bike...)
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #268
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché
 
Yossarian™'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: the 'Ha
Oddometer: 9,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
Hello fellow inmates.

I was just out in the garage and had my seat off. I noticed that my battery is in no way attached to the bike, except for the battery leads. It just sits in it's space. I see a couple of spots where there should be a rubber tie down, but my bike does not have it.

Come to mention it, I have never seen one there. Do you mates have one?

JG
Most definitely there's a keeper strap that runs atop the battery.

Check out the diagrams on bikebandit.com - it has the parts schematics.
__________________
Successfully surviving motorcycling since 1976.
Yossarian™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #269
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 4,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
I was using a gas pump. Maybe Triumph expects everyone to fill thier bikes with a funnel and a measuring cup? In 8500 miles (~40-45 fills) my 'rough nozzle behavior' was never an issue with my SV650, and neither was filling it, even though the outer tank fill caps are very similar. Though there was an inner plastic ring on the SV (which still worked fine for getting repeatable fill results - just fill to the rim!), there wasn't anything similar to the metal bars (the 'roll bars' you refer to?) that the Tiger has that actually prevent you from inserting the nozzle far enough to allow the pump to work. Since I managed to spill gas 2 out of the first 3 times I filled it up, I even went out and bought a McCuff, which I was using during this last fillup and would've further prevented 'over penetration' of the nozzle. Since it seems I'm not the only one having trouble with this, and I'm not generally the ham-fisted sort, it sounds like a design flaw due to over-engineering to me.
You said you broke the plastic piece while struggling with the pump. It happens but, it's your fault. Not saying the triumph design isn't poor but it didn't break while you were riding down the street. Just don't see why triumph should pay for it.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #270
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 4,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
Hello fellow inmates.

I was just out in the garage and had my seat off. I noticed that my battery is in no way attached to the bike, except for the battery leads. It just sits in it's space. I see a couple of spots where there should be a rubber tie down, but my bike does not have it.

Come to mention it, I have never seen one there. Do you mates have one?

JG
Mine wasn't on there either. Maybe they pack them with the bike un-installed. I had one or found one, put it on. You don't want your battery flying out if the bike flips. I guess.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014